• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033 |OT| Fear the Future

NBtoaster

Just installed the game after having it on Steam for a while.

I tried the instructions above for enabling vsync and gi but it doesn't work. When I play the user.cfg in appdata always resets to the default. What's the correct way?

Just beat this. I picked the game about a year ago, played it for about 3 hours, and quit since the 8800GT I had at the time wasn't able to keep up at DX10. So after about a year I started playing again two days ago with a 560 Ti at maxed DX11 settings. Average fps now is about 40 at a resolution of 1440x900

This game stands along with The Witcher 2 and Crysis as the graphical showcases on the pc.

First thing to get out of the way is the ending wasn't satisfying. I knew there was going to be a choice about sparing or killing the dark ones. After thinking for a while that all their appearances in the game had resulted in people dying or going crazy, I made the decision the bastards had to die. Yet that choice was portrayed in a somewhat negative manner with the comment of Artyom at the end.

The story before the ending was good and just what is to be expected of eastern European developers. No complaints there. The game wasn't as hard at the beginning, but with each chapter it got progressively harder. By the time I got to face the librarians I had very few bullets in the pistol alone.

Unlike many other people complaining about the shooting mechanics, I actually enjoyed the feel of the weapons. Also word of advice, in order to play the game effectively you must look around for extra ammo, and aim for the head.

Neiteio

Got this for $5 on the Steam sale yesterday.

Played the first couple chapters with DX10 on high. Ran very smoothly. I like the richly detailed world and the way they depict the subway dwellers. The wistful music gives the game a very unique personality. The graphics are gorgeous -- the air looks ice-cold, the lighting is warm, and every surface looks thoroughly worn by age. The Russian-accented English VAs are refreshing, and I'd like to try the Russian VAs at some point (an option on the PC game). The ambient sound effects, like monsters scurrying through vents, are strong, but there could be more oomph to the gun sound effects. Knifing monsters in the head is very fun, though. I'm getting sucked into the story, the main character's plight and the sense of vulnerabiliy his community has. Very compelling game so far.

Not too shabby for $5!

DTKT

Neiteio said:
Got this for $5 on the Steam sale yesterday.

Played the first couple chapters with DX10 on high. Ran very smoothly. I like the richly detailed world and the way they depict the subway dwellers. The wistful music gives the game a very unique personality. The graphics are gorgeous -- the air looks ice-cold, the lighting is warm, and every surface looks thoroughly worn by age. The Russian-accented English VAs are refreshing, and I'd like to try the Russian VAs at some point (an option on the PC game). The ambient sound effects, like monsters scurrying through vents, are strong, but there could be more oomph to the gun sound effects. Knifing monsters in the head is very fun, though. I'm getting sucked into the story, the main character's plight and the sense of vulnerabiliy his community has. Very compelling game so far.

Not too shabby for $5!

Try it with the Russian VA, it's amazing. I just wish more of the non-mission critical text was translated.

Thrakier

So the performace is really horrible or is it just me? I52500k@4.3 GHZ and a 560TI and I can't bring the game above 30FPS with "High" Settings, 4xMSAA and DX11. :(

Also whenever I start the game I get this annyoing "first installation fo DirectX" thingy... :(

So the performace is really horrible or is it just me? I52500k@4.3 GHZ and a 560TI and I can't bring the game above 30FPS with "High" Settings, 4xMSAA and DX11. :(

Also whenever I start the game I get this annyoing "first installation fo DirectX" thingy... :(

I typically stick to dx9 @ high for 60 fps goodness, dx11 cripples frame rate along with very highs volumemetric light shaft things, although I think you can edit an ini somewhere to have everything on very high except for that 1 setting.

Thrakier

I typically stick to dx9 @ high for 60 fps goodness, dx11 cripples frame rate along with very highs volumemetric light shaft things, although I think you can edit an ini somewhere to have everything on very high except for that 1 setting.

I only made a brief test but the graphical difference between DX9 and DX11 is rather big, isn't it?

EDIT:

Why is it installing DirectX every time I start the game? o_O

Also the game seems to be locked ³30FPS...

Kyaw

It should be in the settings. o_O

I have no idea though since I haven't got the game installed at the moment.
Triple Buffering is the best option for most games anyway. Or if the game has minimal tearing, you can disable all types of TB/V-Sync.

Daigoro

i just picked this up for pretty cheap on 360. been wanting it for quite a qhile but wanted it at a discount (i own the PC version as well). i really like it!

playing on Ranger Easy for my first run. i like how easy it is to die if you are shot at.

stealth has been pretty good so far, not sure what the complaints are all about (maybe its glitchy). i completed the Frontlines mission without shooting anyone without much trouble. apparently there is a totally roundabout way to get by most people by getting to the ground level and avoiding most fights, but you need filters. i didnt have any so i had to figure out a way to sneak past everyone head on MGS style. it was pretty damn fun.

love the graphics and the atmosphere. i love the LED watch mechanic. really cool. like someone meantiond a ways back, exploration is great. lots of stashes everywhere.

really getting a good STALKER vibe, despite the linearity, and that can only be a good thing. some of the staff actually worked on the orignal STALKER, right?

thinking about checking out the book at some point because i love the theme of the whole thing.

quite enjoying the game so far.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

turn off depth of field.

subversus

really getting a good STALKER vibe, despite the linearity, and that can only be a good thing. some of the staff actually worked on the orignal STALKER, right?

yes. I wish 4A picked up STALKER 2 but it won't happen.

Sliver

Just got to the Library in this, eh. It's ok but I don't like it nearly as much as STALKER. While the bugs/jankiness felt endearing in STALKER this just seems different.

Plus the breathing sounds on the surface is the most annoying thing in gaming. Ugh

subversus

Library is the best level in the game and one of the best levels this gen. You'll shit bricks.

but most likely you'll get annoyed and stop playing.

Picked this up recently and just started playing it (360). Graphics are awesome! So much detail and fantastic lighting, only let down by some poor NPC animation.

The shooting is a little tough to get used to as I've been playing a lot of BF3 MP lately.

Started playing in Russian and got up to Chapter 2, but I'll probably start again in English because most of the NPC chatter isn't subtitled and I don't want to miss anything. The Russian voice acting is great though.

So I decided to give the game a second go around. This time I'm playing in Ranger Mode (Easy) with Russian Audio. WOW! COMPLETELY DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE! This game is awesome. Except that it now autosaved at a checkpoint that spawned with enemy NPCs that almost always recognize me in the beginning. Is there a way I can change it so that it can autoload me from the previous checkpoint?

So I finally beat the game. It was great. Maybe non-Ranger mode sucks, but playing this game on Ranger with the native dub was great. The game has some serious flaws such as the ability to get stuck during some levels as well as the story not being direct enough, but outside of that it was great.

I really recommend this to anybody who enjoys narrative FPSs like Half-Life.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Seems like a pretty awesome game. Think I'll give it a gander since it's pretty cheap on Steam. Which has the better story...Crysis 1 or this?

legacyzero

Banned
Seems like a pretty awesome game. Think I'll give it a gander since it's pretty cheap on Steam. Which has the better story...Crysis 1 or this?
Tough comparison. I prefer Metro to Crysis. But that's mainly my love for dark, brooding, end of the world, type stories.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Tough comparison. I prefer Metro to Crysis. But that's mainly my love for dark, brooding, end of the world, type stories.

Ahh interesting. Heard good things about Crysis' storyline though.

_machine

Seconded.

There just that something in Metro that makes the game feel unique and even though I don't think the story is anything spectacular and doesn't quite grip you like it does in the book, I definitely prefer it over the original Crysis. It was quite nice the first the time, but after reading the book I started paying more attention to the backstory and the world and it made my second playthrough even more enjoyable.

Metro 2033 is one of my favorite games of the last few years; it's far from perfect and action or stealth isn't quite as satisfying as it could be with a few tweaks and it's really linear, but the atmosphere and the looks more than make up for the minor annoyances in the gameplay. I think the fact that it's one of the few modern games that I've played through twice speaks about the game's quality and I wholehearteadly recommend playing it.

Thrakier

Any tips on performance still? I52500k and 560TI. The framerate with DX11 on high settings is all over the place between 40 and 100. And the game feels kinda laggy and there is still a lot of aliasing.... o_O

Jaxter09

Any tips on performance still? I52500k and 560TI. The framerate with DX11 on high settings is all over the place between 40 and 100. And the game feels kinda laggy and there is still a lot of aliasing.... o_O

Assuming you are running 1080p, try DX10 and very high settings, or disable Depth of Field under DX11 settings. DX11 generally kills the framerate in Metro. I assume you have D3Doverrider?

SoulClap

Disable advanced DOF and tessellation. If you're not happy with the frame rate with those two features off, you're better off dropping down to DX9 rather than DX10.

Eideka

Banned

This is a very good rig you have here, even considering Metro 2033 isn't well optimized at all you should not have any problems playing the game nearly maxed out.

As suggested above, disable this hugely demanding depth of field effect. In DX11/Very High/Tessellation/Physx/AAA the benchmark available with the Ranger patch gives me 42fps on average, I7 3770K & GTX 570 here.

Thrakier

Well, I tested a bit. It's not DX11 killing the framerate, it's just the DX11 Features. DX11 high runs the same as DX9 high. The problem is, while I can I can keep the 60FPS 80% of the time, the other 20% really varies a lot, between 35 and 100 and that's very noticable. I didn't try D3D Overrider yet but I imagine it'll introduce just more mouse lag? Game already feels quite laggy. :/

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I discovered that using DX10 instead of DX11 solved most of my framerate issues (save for grenade smoke.)

Eideka

Banned
Well, I tested a bit. It's not DX11 killing the framerate, it's just the DX11 Features. DX11 high runs the same as DX9 high. The problem is, while I can I can keep the 60FPS 80% of the time, the other 20% really varies a lot, between 35 and 100 and that's very noticable. I didn't try D3D Overrider yet but I imagine it'll introduce just more mouse lag? Game already feels quite laggy. :/
Actually no, I use D3D Overrider because I just can't stand screen tearing and it works wonderfully.

As for the DX11 features keep the tessellation on it's not nearly as taxing as DOF. You can activate Physx as well, with a GTX 560ti that's not a problem.

The game runs perfectly on my rig, some stuttering here and here (volumetric lights be damned !) and what an incredible looking title this is. Two years after I can't get over how gorgeous the game looks.

Thrakier

Actually no, I use D3D Overrider because I just can't stand screen tearing and it works wonderfully.

As for the DX11 features keep the tessellation on it's not nearly as taxing as DOF. You can activate Physx as well, with a GTX 560ti that's not a problem.

The game runs perfectly on my rig, some stuttering here and here (volumetric lights be damned !) and what an incredible looking title this is. Two years after I can't get over how gorgeous the game looks.

I tested tesellaton, it costs me around 12 to 15 FPS (not in all scenes, obviously). If you want to assure to stay 60 as much as possible, then it's a no go, at least with my middle class card. :(

Eideka

Banned
I tested tesellaton, it costs me around 12 to 15 FPS (not in all scenes, obviously). If you want to assure to stay 60 as much as possible, then it's a no go, at least with my middle class card. :(
12 to 15 fps o_0

That's crazy. With tessellation on/off I get a difference of only 8 fps according to the benchmark.

But it makes sense for you to disable it if you want a framerate as close to 60fps as possible, for my part 30 fps is good enough.

Thrakier

12 to 15 fps o_0

That's crazy. With tessellation on/off I get a difference of only 8 fps according to the benchmark.

But it makes sense for you to disable it if you want a framerate as close to 60fps as possible, for my part 30 fps is good enough.

Well, if you are fine with 30 you should be easily be able to max the game out on very high settings and lock the framerate to 30 using dxtory. That should be smooth, well, 30FPS smooth.

Like I said, Tesellation depends on the scene, in others scene it costs nothing. But when there are a lot of tesselated objects on screen, the FPS go down a lot. I never tried the benchmark, just real time ingame testing.

Eideka

Banned
Well, if you are fine with 30 you should be easily be able to max the game out on very high settings and lock the framerate to 30 using dxtory. That should be smooth, well, 30FPS smooth.
No, I can't "max out" the game because the DOF is still destroying my framerate, not to mention I don't use MSAA, but aside from that the game runs perfectly well yeah.

Like I said, Tesellation depends on the scene, in others scene it costs nothing. But when there are a lot of tesselated objects on screen, the FPS go down a lot. I never tried the benchmark, just real time ingame testing.
Truth be told the tessellation in Metro 2033 is a joke. The same can be said for other games as well, Deus Ex HR for instance. I guess we will have to wait for the next-gen consoles to see tesselation in its full glory.

Ledsen

I guess people have different standards. 42 fps is way too low for me and 8 fps is a huge difference to me. At least now I know which settings to try when I (re-)play the game :)

Bough this on Steam as the showpiece for whenever the hell I get around to putting a new PC together, but I decided to try it out on my current system just to see how much it would chug. And... it doesn't? Getting anywhere from 25-60fps in DX10 High mode with FXAA @ 720p. My system was already low-end when I put it together in 2009 (Pentium E5200 overclocked to 3.25GHz, 4GB of memory, and a Radeon 4770) so I'm really surprised.

FXAA works wonders, too:

fxaa_offn0bjt.jpg
fxaa_onbtanj.jpg

Bough this on Steam as the showpiece for whenever the hell I get around to putting a new PC together, but I decided to try it out on my current system just to see how much it would chug. And... it doesn't? Getting anywhere from 25-60fps in DX10 High mode with FXAA @ 720p. My system was already low-end when I put it together in 2009 (Pentium E5200 overclocked to 3.25GHz, 4GB of memory, and a Radeon 4770) so I'm really surprised.

FXAA works wonders, too:

fxaa_offn0bjt.jpg
fxaa_onbtanj.jpg

That looks great considering what you're running. I'm running an i5 2500K and GTX 680, and with DX11 at 1080P and everything cranked to max, it chugs a lot more than I thought it would. If I dial down the AA it runs a lot smoother but it's definitely a hardware hog.

KorrZ

Playing this for the first time.. Picked up a 360 copy new for $5 at EBGames. I just finished the
Library
it was excellent. I had real adrenaline pumping watching my shotgun shells drain away trying to kill the enemies here, I found myself rushing trying to get through the level just because of the stress of those fuckers sneaking up on you constantly. It and
Outpost
are by far my two favourite levels in the game so far. This game has great atmosphere, and I actually enjoy the shooting.

isamu

Completed the game today and meh....wasn't really feeling it. Several things I had problems with....

In my opinion when the game clicked it REALLY clicked, but those moments are hampered far too often by several design flaws and this being one of them...lack of info.

I honestly cannot believe I completed the game WITHOUT any help from a faq or a walkthrough. There were way too many instances where I simply didn't know where to go and was only able to progress forward by sheer luck or trial and error. Several times I'd be wandering aimlessly thinking should I go here or there. Let me try over there....then all of a sudden.... BOOM! I'm dead!

This game seriously suffers from a lack of information given to the player and it seriously spoils the fun.

I just found out that the number right next to the gas mask isn't the amount of filters you bought, but the time you have left. Where is this information in the game???

Same stuff with the weapons: they are very nice and all and I like the (lack of) accuracy, but when I want to buy a new gun/rifle I'd like some info on what the thing does, what it's drawbacks are, why it's a superior gun than the one I own, what the mag capacity is. Not just some stupid voice from the merchant telling me my gun is for babies.

Moral points, another one. I wish this game told me in some way that I can change the future depending on the actions I take. Do I shoot the enemies or do I sneak past them? Do I give the beggar a bullet (money) or let him starve? The game doesn't tell you you get points for that. All the time I was wondering why my screen was flashing shortly after certain actions. Now I know that it's telling me I gained or lost a point.

I like games where you have to figure things out for yourself, like S.T.A.L.K.E.R., but at least that game explains stuff through the various npc's you meet on your quest when you're playing. This game doesn't. Yeah, some people are not returning from the tunnels, go and have a look Artyom, fetch this, fetch that, monsters, ghosts, blah blah.

The overly dark environment doesn't help either. First time I've had to crank my display's brightness all the way to 100% just to see where the hell I'm going. The dark setting just got tiring and boring after a while and having to crank the damn generator to full just to get your flashlight bright enough got tedious as well.

One final point...Metro's graphics are overrated. Sure it looks good, but Bioshock 1&2 and even a game like Aliens vs Predator 2010, I bullshit you not, looks as good if not better than Metro 2033! Don't believe me? Run Metro and then run AvP 2010 and tell me they don't look the same. Guess which one I'm getting an average of 200fps in?

Anyway, the game had a lot of potential but just fell flat on so many levels for me. Won't be buying the sequel. Much better games out there, the Bioshock/Crysis/Fallout series just to name a few.

Top Bottom