• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033 |OT| Fear the Future

Eideka

Banned
One final point...Metro's graphics are overrated. Sure it looks good, but Bioshock 1&2 and even a game like Aliens vs Predator 2010, I bullshit you not, looks as good if not better than Metro 2033! Don't believe me? Run Metro and then run AvP 2010 and tell me they don't look the same. Guess which one I'm getting an average of 200fps in?
Joke post ?

Joke post.
Or you played the game in DX9...

By the way the game is incredibly linear, how can you get lost ? I've never had any problems regarding progression.

As far as I'm concerned Metro 2033 is a stellar title, brilliantly paced and narrated, as well as a graphical tour de force.

Pretty interesting that most of isamus reasons for disliking the game are the same as my reasons for loving it :)

Interesting I had the same thought. Granted the game could have used NPC's to make passing comments on the pros and cons of the different weapons, but something the moral points is much better left implicit. When I discovered it at the end when I got a final achievement I stopped and actually thought about my actions in the game and how they could have led me to where I ended up. That was a powerful moment for me.

I loved finding things out for myself and not having to read or listen to metagame talk like 'this weapon has a 3.5% faster firing rate but a -1% stopping power'. The people in the game world wouldn't know that, the shop guy just wants your bullets so he talks all of his weapons up and I found it much better to try the weapons out and see which ones I liked depending on my playstyle.

But not to discount your complaints as it does make it a very different game from a lot of others and not everyone will like that.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Joke post ?

Joke post.
Or you played the game in DX9....

Umm no? Not a joke post. Dude, play Metro 2033 and then play AVP2010. The games look very similar from a technical standpoint and both take place in dark environments. You'd be surprised how good avp looks compared to metro. Not to mention the wonderful job Sega did with optimizing the game for PC. I get average 200fps in AVP with everything maxed out, whereas in Metro I'm average only 55-60fps with everything maxed out, playing in DX10 on my GTX FTW 6804GB.

Eideka

Banned
Umm no? Not a joke post. Dude, play Metro 2033 and then play AVP2010. The games look very similar from a technical standpoint and both take place in dark environments. You'd be surprised how good avp looks compared to metro. Not to mention the wonderful job Sega did with optimizing the game for PC. I get average 200fps in AVP with everything maxed out, whereas in Metro I'm average only 55-60fps with everything maxed out, playing in DX10 on my GTX FTW 6804GB.

I'm sorry, my post was childish anyway.

Seriously I own AVP and I can't say that it looks nowhere near as good as Metro maxed out. DX11 adds quite a lot in Metro and with a GC like yours you should not have to worry about this, as long as you don't demand a silky smooth 60 fps.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

lighting is different in DX11. Also tesselation. Anyway Metro looks better than AVP even in DX10 on high (not maxed out).

CatPee

Hmmm, for some reason I get a black screen when I switch it to DX11 whenever the game has to render something (even the main menu). On the pause and options screens, it shows up normally though. It shows up fine in DX10 too. Anyone know of a fix?

dsk1210

Hmmm, for some reason I get a black screen when I switch it to DX11 whenever the game has to render something (even the main menu). On the pause and options screens, it shows up normally though. It shows up fine in DX10 too. Anyone know of a fix?

If you have dx11 advanced depth of field on, try turning it off, and see if it loads in.

Played this for a little while last night, and for some reason the advanced depth of field was not working.

dsk1210

Where is the difference in lighting? Didn't see it. It'S just Tesselation and DOF imo.

The lighting in the tunnels is astounding in very high dx11, i was playing last night and forgot quite how beautiful the lighting is, it seemed to run better last night than the last time i tried it, strangely.

Eideka

Banned
Lighting is definitely better in DX11, it's quite subtle at times but God it looks incredible.

Can't wait to see what Metro Last Light has to offer in that regard. Judging by the "pre alpha" footage it sure looks gorgeous.

dsk1210

Lighting is definitely better in DX11, it's quite subtle at times but God it looks incredible.

Can't wait to see what Metro Last Light has to offer in that regard. Judging by the "pre alpha" footage it sure looks gorgeous.

Looking forward to it as well, and this time hopefully the bullets will actually feel like they have impact, one of my disappointments with the first game.

Thrakier

Any screen by screen comparison? Because I really don't see the difference and between DX9, DX10 and DX11 performance is exactly the same as soon as DOF and Tesselation is deactivated.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Any screen by screen comparison? Because I really don't see the difference and between DX9, DX10 and DX11 performance is exactly the same as soon as DOF and Tesselation is deactivated.
Does DX9 even have the godrays, volumetric stuff, etc? Some of those aren't things you can appreciate in screens though. Edit: yes it does, that's pretty cool. Or the comparison I saw was borked, DX11 seemed to lack it, lol? Shitty quality though.

How much more immersive do graphics make this game? First time I played I had to play on below native resolution and low graphics, but can probably play on high on my newer PC. Guess I should try at least.

Gvaz

Banned
So I'm at the level "Black Station" in metro 2033 (just got around to playing it)

About how much longer do I have to finish the game?

I hope there's not a lot of gasmask sections, I always hate those.

Just got this from the Steam Sale and can I just say one thing? After seeing screens and footage so many times, it was unreal to actually get this running on a machine in front of me. Even after twenty minutes of playing, I have to say the atmosphere is absolutely wonderful and engaging.

Ever since they announced Ranger Mode I'd been anxious to play it, so I'm starting a Ranger Easy for first playthrough. Any suggestions? Already read about the Russian VA, which I'll enable as soon as I'm back in...

legacyzero

Banned
After recently building my new rig with a 670, this game STILL kinda chugs.

But it's beautiful as fuck. I LOVE games like these. Between Stalker and Metro, these two games are pretty much perfect when it comes to atmosphere.

Bring on Last Light!!

EDIT: I wish OP would rehost the images in the OT.

cripterion

Just finished the game in normal mode. What a great experience. Love the atmosphere of the game and it does look good if you have the graphics cracked up all the way (I only turned off DOF cause was eating up fps like crazy). One of my favorite moments was when we were all 6 of us going down to D6, just felt like in a movie ( there were cliche moments, but it all just felt right to me).

There are so many possibilities in the Russian metro, makes me wish they added additional campaigns with coop. I know the sequel is coming but if there's one after that we will be heading into next gen consoles, why not make it a sandbox experience? No loading at all and dynamic events going on in the metro that'd be awesome, let the players fend off the monsters with NPC in order to survive, and if a station is overrun let here be consequences to it, let it branch off to other objectives for the players, etc...

Thrakier

Just finished the game in normal mode. What a great experience. Love the atmosphere of the game and it does look good if you have the graphics cracked up all the way (I only turned off DOF cause was eating up fps like crazy). One of my favorite moments was when we were all 6 of us going down to D6, just felt like in a movie ( there were cliche moments, but it all just felt right to me).

There are so many possibilities in the Russian metro, makes me wish they added additional campaigns with coop. I know the sequel is coming but if there's one after that we will be heading into next gen consoles, why not make it a sandbox experience? No loading at all and dynamic events going on in the metro that'd be awesome, let the players fend off the monsters with NPC in order to survive, and if a station is overrun let here be consequences to it, let it branch off to other objectives for the players, etc...

Is it better than the stalker games? Liked the atmosphere in Stalker, but the gameplay was meh and the AI horrible.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
AI is horrible in most games but Stalker just seemed dumb to me. It was one of those pseudo stealth games where every attack ends in a huge clusterfuck.

Stalker isn't a pseudo stealth game...

And gun fights play out in a dynamic way that very few other first person shooters can match. That is AI.

1-D_FTW

AI is horrible in most games but Stalker just seemed dumb to me. It was one of those pseudo stealth games where every attack ends in a huge clusterfuck.

STALKER is absolutely an amazing game. The gunplay/game may have been a little clunky at first, but once things got going, one of the greatest games ever made. Probably cracks my 10 top games of all time.

Metro 2033 on the other hand, is basically STALKER with all the ambition stripped out. And the guns IMO are a hundred times better in STALKER. To me Metro is all about pretty graphics and atmosphere. If that's not enough for you to hang your hat on, it's not a game you'll like. Because it's pretty much the only reason to play it. Which is why I abandoned it.

Thrakier

Stalker isn't a pseudo stealth game...

And gun fights play out in a dynamic way that very few other first person shooters can match. That is AI.

Well, it's hard to argue opinion, isn't it? I'm playing games for a lifetime now and that's my perception of the game. Used that mod patch which is supposed to make everything better.

Graphics ok, atmosphere ok, gunplay...barely ok, AI and how gunfights turn out most of the time = clusterfuck. All in all, it was like Far Cry 2 with better art direction and atmo but the same problems. I stopped playing it. :(

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
If the gunfights are a clusterfuck for you then you need to figure out how to get better at the game.

And it not really being a stealth game isn't an opinion. The game isn't built around stealth at all.

Thrakier

If the gunfights are a clusterfuck for you then you need to figure out how to get better at the game.

No, if I can turn every gunfight into a clusterfuck and still win in a cheesy way, essentially "breaking" the game (or at least the immersion), it's a problem of gamedesign and NOT the player imo.

And it not really being a stealth game isn't an opinion. The game isn't built around stealth at all.

Well, it's not a stealth game like splinter cell, sure, but if you go in guns blazing it surely will end up in an epic clusterfuck. So the game kinda suggests to go in more silent, but then again, this doesn't work very well.

I had one scene where I came out of that bar and suddenly, I don't know why, the place was swarming with enemies, maybe like 20. I just stood next to a door and waited that they'll go through one by one and shot them. It was hilarious (and no fun). I had similar scenes like this again and again and that was the reason I stopped playing (next to the "story" which I didn't get at all and the tedious long ways you had to run over and over again).

Le-mo

So I'm playing this right now and needless to say I love it. I'm at the beginning of The Tower where I have to follow Miller. And as I am following him the game would stutter and then freezes. EVERY single time. I played this section probably over 5 times already and it freezes every time. The game ran with no problem until now. Did anybody else experience this or is it just me?

zlatko

Banned
So I got to Ch.2 and I was liking it a lot so far. How hard do you guys think the game is on its hardest difficulty? Also, is ranger difficulty 1 life only?

Oreoleo

So I got to Ch.2 and I was liking it a lot so far. How hard do you guys think the game is on its hardest difficulty? Also, is ranger difficulty 1 life only?

The major distinction of Ranger mode is that the enemies aren't bullet sponges anymore (nosalises go down in 1 or 2 bullets). There are checkpoints and quick loading just like in the vanilla game. I'm going through on Ranger Hardcore right now and it's not too bad. You can still see your bullet count by pulling up the journal/weapon select so saying there is "No UI" for ranger hardcore is kind of a farce. I'd imagine the regular 'hard' mode would be much harder, just due to the damage modeling and bullet management.

Sarcasm

Guys I am REALLY lost!

I am at the part where you leave the market with burbon for a second time..where you take the metro exit to above ground. I am past the playground part where we get split up (when you try to jump a gap on top of a car).I fought like 6 leper dogs...I dunno how to check my progress..but that is where I am at.

Oreoleo

Guys I am REALLY lost!

I am at the part where you leave the market with burbon for a second time..where you take the metro exit to above ground. I am past the playground part where we get split up (when you try to jump a gap on top of a car).I fought like 6 leper dogs...I dunno how to check my progress..but that is where I am at.

Are you in the bottom floor of a grocery looking place? I think that's after the playground, you run into a building with big front windows and get swamped by more nosalises. You have to jump down into the little ravine in the street to progress. Watch out for acid water.

Piano

Banned
Man, I just can't enjoy this game. It feels so...sloppy all around. The core gameplay seems wonky and it's surrounded by far too many convoluted and ultimately pretty useless gameplay systems.

Or at least that's my impression of it. I'm stuck at some part ~2.5 hours in. It's a huge firefight, but there just isn't enough 'oomph' to the gameplay to make me want to slog through it. I can't tell where enemies are, they keep shouting the same awful lines (LOOK WE GOT A DOUCHEBAG HERE) and the guns seem weak.

Yes, I put it on Ranger.

Is it worth pushing through? Great style, great atmosphere...weak substance.

Sarcasm

Man, I just can't enjoy this game. It feels so...sloppy all around. The core gameplay seems wonky and it's surrounded by far too many convoluted and ultimately pretty useless gameplay systems.

Or at least that's my impression of it. I'm stuck at some part ~2.5 hours in. It's a huge firefight, but there just isn't enough 'oomph' to the gameplay to make me want to slog through it. I can't tell where enemies are, they keep shouting the same awful lines (LOOK WE GOT A DOUCHEBAG HERE) and the guns seem weak.

Yes, I put it on Ranger.

Guns feel especially weak when your using the crappy bullets..it even tells you that ingame lol. If you use the bullets that you use for money/currency its much better - but your using your money lol.

Oreoleo

Yes, I put it on Ranger.

The game get's better the farther into it you get. The 2nd half is easily better than the 1st half. Whether that is enough to keep you going, I don't know.

Piano

Banned
Define 2nd half. Turns out I'm farther than I thought - right at the beginning of Chapter 4. How much longer before it gets good?

I just slaughtered dozens of Novolisks or Novolins or Violins or whatever and it felt like shooting an airsoft gun into cheese. No impact.

Graphics are great. Atmosphere is good. Story is...eh. There are way, way too many ammo types / currencies / gameplay sub systems for a linear, 9 hour game. Just seems poorly focused.

Oreoleo

Define 2nd half. Turns out I'm farther than I thought - right at the beginning of Chapter 4. How much longer before it gets good?.
The library in chapter 5 is, in my estimation, the best level in the game so if you have it in you I'd try to get there but honestly it sounds like you aren't enjoying yourself at all. I love the game but I can admit there is some stuff you have to overlook. Not every game is for every one, you know? And FYI there are 7 chapters total.

Sarcasm

Why is it when I stare down the librarians they do nothing? They all don't even wait they just attack immediately..they don't even stare back.

I've been playing through this after getting it in the humble bundle. The atmosphere is great but the game itself is very meh. The enemies are not fun at all to fight and the guns feel so lifeless. Then there are sections where it seems like they want you to go stealth but after you stab one guy, everyone is alerted and it's just an all out firefight. I've found they you can almost just run through every level and not ever fight anyone. For some reason, I went in thinking this was something to do with outer space and had a Dead Space when outside look to it.

*Wise fwom your gwave*

Sorry ;) I tried loading this up the other day, and found the game has some severe frame skipping going on :S I have no idea why, its a far more powerful system than what I last played the game on (Stuff like 8800GT, GTX 260, 560Ti, AMD 7850), and it ran great. Currently running on GTX 760 2GB.

This is in DX9 mode, when in DX10/11, it seems to help it significantly, but it still slightly there. Not sure what could have caused this really, a driver update ? Iffy issues with more modern cards ?

DX9 + High was always beautifully smooth for this game, but not so much with my new system :(

Gaaraz

Boy oh boy do I feel stupid for posting this, but... I've run out of mask filters (or at least, I can't put my mask on) and keep dying? I'm right at the point where Bourbon points out 'the bitch' near the start of the game, the first bit outdoors.

I've made an effort to loot everyone I see, but haven't dawdled so much that I should have run out of masks/filters by this point. Any suggestions please? I'm guessing starting again is an option but... not sure I can bring myself to do that (I'm on 360 btw, so can't just enable god mode as a few sources online recommend)

Ledhead

Boy oh boy do I feel stupid for posting this, but... I've run out of mask filters (or at least, I can't put my mask on) and keep dying? I'm right at the point where Bourbon points out 'the bitch' near the start of the game, the first bit outdoors.

I've made an effort to loot everyone I see, but haven't dawdled so much that I should have run out of masks/filters by this point. Any suggestions please? I'm guessing starting again is an option but... not sure I can bring myself to do that (I'm on 360 btw, so can't just enable god mode as a few sources online recommend)

There should be a stash of filters in the building right before you exit to the outdoors and the demon appears for the first time. At the very least, there is a filter on some of the corpses laying around. I'm almost certain there is a stalker stash around there though.

You could also load the mission right before that so you can stock up on filters at the station.

Top Bottom