• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033 |OT| Fear the Future

Krakatoa

Anyone have a link to a decent deal on this game? I have just been browsing around to purchase it but the cheapest I could find was around $40.

Also can all copies be registered on steam?

Can't wait to play this game.

John

Krakatoa said:
Anyone have a link to a decent deal on this game? I have just been browsing around to purchase it but the cheapest I could find was around $40.

Yep, it's Steamworks. You missed the $12 deal at thqstore.com a couple weeks back :(

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Krakatoa said:

You missed the THQ online store deal where they had it for $12.50 unfortunately. And yes all copies can be registered on steam.
Edit:beaten

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I got this a while back when Kmart dropped this to 29.99. Just started playing a few days ago.
I got to the part where I was captured by the Nazis and about to be killed and someone showed up and that person that saved me, I showed them this necklace thing that Hunter gave to me and told me to tell Miller whatever it is I need to say to him.
I've come to notice that I don't play through a lot of FPS games that isn't called Halo. I've only played Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer. Single Player never interested me. Anyways, this is an intriguing game. I don't like how the story keeps getting broken up, it feels like episodes to me rather than a continous story but something keeps me going. Not like it's hard to do because this is a fun game. I would recommend this to people that are on the fence and/or need an FPS fix.

poppabk said:
You missed the THQ online store deal where they had it for $12.50 unfortunately. And yes all copies can be registered on steam.

God damn really wish I didn't miss that sale. I've played some of it but can see myself with buyers remorse at full price.

calder

I had bought this game during the Steam summer saler (a THQ pack probably?) and had never played it I upgraded my gpu. Finally started playing it and damn it's pretty fun and pretty freaky. :lol

Runs very well, even with Physx on high I get over 30fps with everthing dialed up during big fights and 40-50 in the stations, well so far at least I've only gotten to the first station after you leave home. Game looks great, for such a grim, depressing place it's quite good looking. ;) I should tinker with the settings a bit more, I switched from DX11 to DX9 just to see the performance difference and it seemed pretty significant. Is DX10 a waste of time? Or maybe DX11 with one of the 11 specific settings disabled?

Just a heads up, Target is clearancing out Metro 2033, the store i work at had them marked straight to 50 percent off for 24.98, grabbed it :).

EvilDick34 said:
Just a heads up, Target is clearancing out Metro 2033, the store i work at had them marked straight to 50 percent off for 24.98, grabbed it :).

Even though thats a great price, it just seems like to much for me when I know the THQ sale had it for so cheap not that long ago

ohhthegore said:
Even though thats a great price, it just seems like to much for me when I know the THQ sale had it for so cheap not that long ago

I agree, ive seen it for cheaper but i really have wanted to play it, so 24.98 even if not dirt cheap is still cheap enough for me! You could try to hold out and see if there are any left to mark down to 75 percent off ;-).

leroidys

Damnnnn, just saw the crazy sale I missed on this game. Hopefully it wil reach that for the Christmas sales on steam. Also, title should be (the) "Fear of the Future" not "Fear [imperative] the Future".:D

Played this game for the first time just now... Does everybody agree that it's the best looking game ever? Who the fuck disagrees? :lol

I max it out on 1080p and average 30fps.

Ledsen

Just started playing this on 360. Awesome, awesome game so far - like a combination of Far Cry 2 (the amazing first-person visualization) and Dead Space (the atmosphere). Started on normal, was it a mistake? Considered going Hardcore but I read that it could get really frustrating. Also, is there any point in turning on Russian voices? The english voice actors are pretty bad.

panda21

Ledsen said:
Just started playing this on 360. Awesome, awesome game so far - like a combination of Far Cry 2 (the amazing first-person visualization) and Dead Space (the atmosphere). Started on normal, was it a mistake? Considered going Hardcore but I read that it could get really frustrating. Also, is there any point in turning on Russian voices? The english voice actors are pretty bad.

i really liked the russian voices with subtitles.. very cool that they give the option. plus its hard to tell if the voice acting is bad when you can't understand anything.

Vaporak

ohhthegore said:
sooo your saying someone that likes stalker should like this as well?

Metro has some similarities to STALKER atmospherically, but the game design is nothing like STALKER. Metro is a linear console style shooter through and through.

Ledsen

Played a little more today, the "Frontlines" level was a fucking bitch... think it took me about 20-30 tries before I got past the first room. After that it was a cakewalk though.

calder said:
I had bought this game during the Steam summer saler (a THQ pack probably?) and had never played it I upgraded my gpu. Finally started playing it and damn it's pretty fun and pretty freaky. :lol

Runs very well, even with Physx on high I get over 30fps with everthing dialed up during big fights and 40-50 in the stations, well so far at least I've only gotten to the first station after you leave home. Game looks great, for such a grim, depressing place it's quite good looking. ;) I should tinker with the settings a bit more, I switched from DX11 to DX9 just to see the performance difference and it seemed pretty significant. Is DX10 a waste of time? Or maybe DX11 with one of the 11 specific settings disabled?
I had to bump it down to all low, and dx9 at 1920x1080p, game still looks sick as shit, and runs 50-60fps. This game can bring my EVGA 9800gt to its knees lol :lol

Kolgar

Finally got my Xbox 360 copy and started in last night.

Game looks great graphically, and the controls feel nice. Reviews led me to believe it'd be all wonky.

Looks promising so far. This might be another case of a game that I just don't see eye to eye with the reviewers on.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
just got this for pc

using high settings & tesselation with gtx 460

wow this game is gorgous

im reeeaally liking the atmosphere and the banter is actually fun to listen too, most of it even sounds like plausible dialogue.

the weapons feel perfect for the setting, especially the double barrel. wrecking the bandits with that was fun and it felt 'legit'. i even like how underpowered the basterd feels.

this is one of the few games where i want to take my time.

dLMN8R

I just got my 6850 today and fired up Metro 2033. Performs well in DX10 at max details and 1920x1200, but DX11 performance just totally tanks. Is this expected?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
dLMN8R said:
I just got my 6850 today and fired up Metro 2033. Performs well in DX10 at max details and 1920x1200, but DX11 performance just totally tanks. Is this expected?
yes i believe so

i prefer 'high' and tesselation rather than 'very high' and no tesselation.

and apparently advanced DOF isnt worth it.

dLMN8R

So tesselation is controlled by DX10/DX11, while the extra depth of field is controlled by high/very high?

What else does each control?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
dLMN8R said:
So tesselation is controlled by DX10/DX11, while the extra depth of field is controlled by high/very high?

What else does each control?
adof is a dx11 option, same with tesselation. theyre separate from the overall quality setting.

the changes very high and high make are listed when you highlight the quality option.

id recommended not looking at what the settings do technically and just seeing if you see a difference though.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
so is military grade ammo worth using? it seems like it's near instant kill for most enemies. i feel id save more money using it than not.

edit: also, this game is AWESOME

Finally got around to putting some time into this game, and holy sweet zombie Jesus, this game looks absolutely ridiculous, and I'm only playing on High DX10.

Daigoro

i got this during the steam sale a week or so ago. this game looks amaaaazing. wow, the effects are so cool.

is there any way to tweak the graphics besides going into the ini settings or something? the settings seem pretty basic from the console.

pretty damn linear. i wish it was more open world like Stalker, but im having fun so far. Stalker with these graphics and performance would be mind blowing.

Can't wait to install this and start this myself, currently Playong through Mafia 2. I was initially floored by the atmosphere the visuals convey. The gun play leaves a little something to be desired and stealth feels a little borked but overall, a great experience -- if you a rig that can handle it.

Leatherface

Download not available for me yet, but I have my order confirmation. GIMMAH MY GAME!

This is what I get in the order history:

"Metro 2033 QTY 1
Processing serial number or unlock code.
Electronic Download"

Top Bottom