• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light |OT| Last bullet. Last breath. Last chance.

• Thread starter Deleted member 102362
  • Start date

sTeLioSco

Banned
another good thing on the technical site was the quick loading (pc version)

you press continue on the menu and not even 5secs you are in the game

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Just finished it. The final portions of the game are a bit of a mess and suffer from a sudden transition to pure shooting but still a good game. My biggest complaint is an overreliance on scripted moments and handholding--the game shines when you are off on your own in the hostile world but those moments are too few and far between. The sheer creepiness and desolation of the outdoor locales is amazing, so much so that when I did get a chance to explore a little, the sense of foreboding was akin to what Super Metroid gives you in spades. The game needed more of those moments.

So... This game gets kind of weird towards the end. Not bad.. Just weird.

As for the developer DLC... There's probably no way this is going to happen but I'd pay good money for a Timesplitters style map editor (basically linking rooms together) with the ability to place enemy AI and some basic objectives.

Replayed it again to get the good ending. I was also trying for the "killing no enemies" achievement and I think I accidentally ran over a guy I had knocked out with the rail car. Oh well. Don't really care about Steam achievements, at least I got the good ending.

haikira

Yup. Can relate too. I still haven't finished this yet, but i'm absolutely loving it. Don't want it to end. Dragon's Dogma has also been killing my gaming time too though.

Nekrono

Just finished it, man what an experience! Such an amazing ride!

The atmosphere, the immersion! Fantastic! I love how everything added up to it, the graphics, the sound, the mechanics, it's almost as if everything was especifically desinged with immersion as the goal.

Definitely GOTY for me, and it's going to be a tough one to beat.

And yes the game does feel a bit rushed in the end but I guess it's hard to have it all nowadays but 4A games got pretty damn close... at least for me.

Now comes the long sad wait for Metro 2035. I hope 4A games get the recognition and money they so much deserve. Amazing devs proving that FPS's can be much more than just shooting or a bomb fest like CoD.

big_z

Finished this last night. It's so much better than the first and looks amazing. The last few surface sections had me hoping the next fallout looks as good. The world and atmosphere is top notch and i was itching to explore it. The only problem I had was the swamp and catacombs section. Those flying things were jerks and fighting hordes of the mutant wolves in tight dark tunnels killed me a few times.

I'm not sure if a third game is planned or what they would do with it but this was a very nice surprise.

KorrZ

Is it just me? or is the *bad* ending actually the more satisfying one? I got the bad ending and felt it fit completely, in fact when it was first happening I thought that it was supposed to happen, and the bad/good ending was going to be the aftermath.

Is it just me? or is the *bad* ending actually the more satisfying one? I got the bad ending and felt it fit completely, in fact when it was first happening I thought that it was supposed to happen, and the bad/good ending was going to be the aftermath.
I got the bad ending too and I was happy with it, not sure I need to see the good ending.

I also got the bad ending in the first game, which worked out well since it lead right into the second game.

dark_chris

I dunno why but my mind keeps making me call this Last Night.

Anyway, what do you guys think so far of the game? I'm thinking of picking it up!

I dunno why but my mind keeps making me call this Last Night.

Anyway, what do you guys think so far of the game? I'm thinking of picking it up!
It's superb, get it! Great atmosphere, satisfying combat and stealth, excellent graphics, and very unique mechanics (lighter/flash light/NV/ wiping mask/changing filters) etc. The story is a bit touching as well, I thought so anyway.

Nekrono

It's superb, get it! Great atmosphere, satisfying combat and stealth, excellent graphics, and very unique mechanics (lighter/flash light/NV/ wiping mask/changing filters) etc. The story is a bit touching as well, I thought so anyway.

Yup, same here. I won't go into any details because of spoilers but I know exactly what you mean and I felt the same way, great emotional connection.

d00d3n

I need help for the end of the "Bandits" level if someone is up for it:

You pull a wire to signal some guys to send over a boat and the gorilla mutants start to attack. I think I am reasonably specced with the automatic shotgun and the four pipe duplet (found on the scene), but the gorillas attack from every angle. I have tried defending the area close to where you pull the wire (one death) and one of the corners on the second floor (two deaths). Is there a cheap tactic to get me through this? Some magic spot where the enemies just line up to be killed or don't attack? Btw, are there any repercussions for lowering difficulty (from default normal)?

I have to say,
going through the abandoned metro with the railcar and exploring optional areas
was some immersive shit. The balance between stealth segments (which are optional I guess) and exploration/action segments in the game is fantastic. Other fps developers should study the pacing in last light.

just beat this a few minutes ago: great job 4A

great and beautiful game, probably the best looking game I have seen on my PC, crysis 3 be damned.

I can only pray more devs try to make an effort and produce more visually striking games in the coming months with the "next gen" around the corner.

big_z

You pull a wire to signal some guys to send over a boat and the gorilla mutants start to attack. I think I am reasonably specced with the automatic shotgun and the four pipe duplet (found on the scene), but the gorillas attack from every angle. I have tried defending the area close to where you pull the wire (one death) and one of the corners on the second floor (two deaths). Is there a cheap tactic to get me through this? Some magic spot where the enemies just line up to be killed or don't attack? Btw, are there any repercussions for lowering difficulty (from default normal)?

I have to say,
going through the abandoned metro with the railcar and exploring optional areas
was some immersive shit. The balance between stealth segments (which are optional I guess) and exploration/action segments in the game is fantastic. Other fps developers should study the pacing in last light.

i stayed about half way up on the stairs to the left if you're facing away from where the boat is coming. all the mutants will funnel up the stairs making it easier. setup a trip mine or two to slow the first group then a gernade or two when needed. i had the silenced 1round shotgun pistol(kills everything 1 shot), auto shotgun and a night scoped rifle of some sort as backup.

i got the bad ending even though i did all the stuff needed for the good one. the bad one is better, fits better with the name of your group and what happens, so i guess it glitched in my favor.

-SKIP-

i stayed about half way up on the stairs to the left if you're facing away from where the boat is coming. all the mutants will funnel up the stairs making it easier. setup a trip mine or two to slow the first group then a gernade or two when needed. i had the silenced 1round shotgun pistol(kills everything 1 shot), auto shotgun and a night scoped rifle of some sort as backup.
In addition to what big_z said above, incendiary grenade also works very well once you have found a choke point, just throw one down and the watchmen will run straight into the fire. There's no repercussions for lowering the difficulty if you find it too tough (unless you're going for the Ranger Hardcore achievement), you can change it at any time.

d00d3n

bigz and wassupbun: Thanks, using the choke point on the left stairs (looking back) made it a whole lot easier. If you go too far up the stairs I think enemies will attack you from behind also, but it was fine staying in the lower part of the stairs. Thanks for the help, now I can continue with this excellent game.

Totally agree; and even in the bad ending there is still some resolution to the things building up to the end. The "good" ending seemed to be too convenient.

So I just bought Last Light and thought I would finish Metro 2033 (got this a long time ago free from a FB promotion) before starting this up. So I have a question about Last Light before I finish 2033. Did the stealth get any better in this game? I read reviews and all they say is that their is stealth, not how good the stealth is.

I know in Metro 2033 which i'm playing right now the stealth atrocious. The throwing knives barely kill people, there is no stealth regular knife kills, and since the game is so dark I can barely tell my environment around me or where my enemies are.

So is the stealth any better in this game? I want to know before I jump into it.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I'm towards the end of this game and it's shaping up to be one of my favorite titles in recent memory. Love the atmosphere, love the improved gunplay, and even the stealth is good. And the visuals...as impressive as always.

d00d3n

So is the stealth any better in this game? I want to know before I jump into it.

Stealth is massively improved. Using silenced weapons to take out every enemy is slightly op, but if you are trying to knock most enemies out and use weapons only as a last resort the balance is just fine.

The maps with humans have clearly been designed with stealth in mind. The arrangements of enemies are often "unsolvable" to begin with, which means that you have to get up close, mess with light sources and take people out when they go off to investigate. Getting up close sometimes means exploring maps in unusual ways by climbing on top of stuff and crawling in sewers/air ducts. Creating noise is usually not very effective (more likely to get you detected), but letting enemies "see something" for a second or two can make them go out and investigate.

Up until venice I have been able to knock every enemy out without raising alarms or being detected. Stealth seems to be a viable option in every encounter with humans so far.

I thought the stealth in metro 2033 was awful. The useless stealth was the sole reason that I did not finish the game.

4A are amazing at atmosphere, but I agree with the other comments on the combat (lackluster enemy encounters) and stealth sections, which are fine for me, personally, just too many of them with no alt routes. I wish the game focused more on atmosphere, like Silent Hill and Amnesia. But I did love a lot of it!

But for a game that puts so much emphasis on atmosphere, for it to devolve into shooting, especially towards the ending and with archaic boss encounters, is disappointing.
Having a boss ram into pillars and shoot its back feels the complete opposite of the game.
For me, the emotional highlight of the game was the flashback in the plane. Also loved how 4A wasn't afraid of sexuality in the game. Reminded me of Witcher. Our American devs can learn how to loosen up from our European friends.

But the little things, the slow drives in the car through the tunnels reminded me of the calm yet unsettling driving in Half-Life 2, which I loved. The worst parts of the game, I feel, is a symptom of "well, it's a 60 dollar game, so we have to give a bunch of features for everyone and to pad the game's length," which is a shame.

I want 4A to focus on a five hour game, smaller, tighter. Scarier. I would also like to interact with characters. The game reminded me of the dollhouse effect in Bioshock Infinite, can't interact with anyone, can only watch. This isn't a theater play, it's a game. Let me interact with them. I know that's hard for a smaller developer, which is why I suggest for them to do something smaller.

Favorite moment:
When you're going through the catacombs and the shadow/silhouette of a man appears right in front of you, it's so subtle, yet really unsettling. Also loved how they found a way to ground the supernatural events by essentially saying the bombs burned the souls of people into the city.

Stealth is massively improved. Using silenced weapons to take out every enemy is slightly op, but if you are trying to knock most enemies out and use weapons only as a last resort the balance is just fine.

The maps with humans have clearly been designed with stealth in mind. The arrangements of enemies are often "unsolvable" to begin with, which means that you have to get up close, mess with light sources and take people out when they go off to investigate. Getting up close sometimes means exploring maps in unusual ways by climbing on top of stuff and crawling in sewers/air ducts. Creating noise is usually not very effective (more likely to get you detected), but letting enemies "see something" for a second or two can make them go out and investigate.

Up until venice I have been able to knock every enemy out without raising alarms or being detected. Stealth seems to be a viable option in every encounter with humans so far.

I thought the stealth in metro 2033 was awful. The useless stealth was the sole reason that I did not finish the game.

Thanks for answering one of my curiosity's about the game. In Metro 2033 I couldn't stealth worth anything because like I said even the stealth items barely worked. At least in this one they give you more stuff to work with.

cametall

So do your decisions
Pavel and Lisnetsky (sp?)
determine your ending or is there more to it?

I
forgave both of them, knocking Lis out and saving Pavel
but still got the "bad ending."

Ricker

Ok stuck again,what am I suppose to do in Venice,went everywhere, talked to everyone,figured I had to get drunk to move on with the story maybe but that didn't work,knocked on all doors,just going around in circle and nothing happens...before reaching this area,I had a big area in the tunnels where I was like a ghost,no one was seeing me even if I shot at them...weird bug.

legacyzero

Banned
Ok stuck again,what am I suppose to do in Venice,went everywhere, talked to everyone,figured I had to get drunk to move on with the story maybe but that didn't work,knocked on all doors,just going around in circle and nothing happens...before reaching this area,I had a big area in the tunnels where I was like a ghost,no one was seeing me even if I shot at them...weird bug.
I would consult your compass, otherwise that DOES sound like a bug....

So do your decisions
Pavel and Lisnetsky (sp?)
determine your ending or is there more to it?

I
forgave both of them, knocking Lis out and saving Pavel
but still got the "bad ending."

There's more to it. A lot, actually.
There are moral points, getting them counts towards getting the good ending, every time you get one the screen flashes white. Aside from letting Lesnitsky and Pavel live, you also have to let the enemies that surrender to you live, obey the Dark One when he tells you not to kill Watchmen/Demons, playing some of the musical instruments also counts for some reason. Also finding hidden ammo stashes, donating money, listening to conversations, I believe that killing the least amount of human enemies possible also counts, but you don't get moral points for that. And no one knows exactly how many moral points or how many good things you need to do to get the good ending.

Man it's burning me up wondering what this developer pack DLC is. I wish they could give at least a general idea of what each DLC would be since they're trying to sell the season pass.

That awkward moment when your wife walks in while you're playing Metro during that most inconvenient part of the game.
Haha

My wife watched me
'get a lap dance.'
She was not amused.

Man it's burning me up wondering what this developer pack DLC is. I wish they could give at least a general idea of what each DLC would be since they're trying to sell the season pass.

Haha

My wife watched me
'get a lap dance.'
She was not amused.

I honestly believe that was part of the mission because there was a cutscene prior to it.

sunnz

So just finished it, 12 hours for my first play through, a lot of exploring ( have all but like 3 or so diary pages) and seriously one incredible game I thought.

The ending was... unexpected and felt abrupt, but I like how they did something different compared to what usually happens.

My favourite parts were pretty much all the out door areas, they felt so atmospheric and real, especially later on with the rain and winds. Just incredible.

Man I beat LL and I'm pissed.......because the shit was a blast every second omg will 4A make another Metro? How about a prequel or something, I need more Metro goddamnit!!! I guess it might be good to let LL be the last so it doesn't become like Resident Evil.

sunnz

Man I beat LL and I'm pissed.......because the shit was a blast every second omg will 4A make another Metro? How about a prequel or something, I need more Metro goddamnit!!! I guess it might be good to let LL be the last so it doesn't become like Resident Evil.

That is true, I would like another one but I think it's probably for the best for this to end here.

What I do REALLY wish for is that other developers take note and make atmospherics shooters and such.

Top Bottom