• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light |OT| Last bullet. Last breath. Last chance.

• Thread starter Deleted member 102362
  • Start date

xenist

I disagree with this. The shooting in this is easily just as good as many other shooters. It's much improved over Metro 2033 as well. I really enjoyed getting into firefights in Last Light whilst in Metro 2033, it was fun but had obvious flaws (like enemy reactions etc)

I'm still pretty early but I have to agree. Though I'm mostly playing this as quietly and non lethally as possible, when there was shooting it was great. I'd put it up against any FPS in pure mechanics.

I just wish my 560Ti could average more than 20 FPS in 1920*1200 Very High settings. Because it looks fucking phenomenal.

codhand

i realize this game is linear, but im hearing so many reviews gloss over the fact, that the player is usually rewarded for going off the beaten path

Varth

Done on hardcore. Flawed, but great potential. Definitely would like to see a third one made without the pressure THP put on the team.

Hated how it rushes the ending and then puts a crucial piece of info in a collectible note on the last level.

Do the devs hang around here? If they do, I'd really like them to shed some light on some trophy requirements, like the "no kill" one ^^'

codhand

i'd like to see them make a new ip, get a fresh perspective after what sounded like a trying dev cycle...

any publisher should be happy to give this team carte blanche.

I disagree with this. The shooting in this is easily just as good as many other shooters. It's much improved over Metro 2033 as well. I really enjoyed getting into firefights in Last Light whilst in Metro 2033, it was fun but had obvious flaws (like enemy reactions etc)

Just finished it. Well, first and foremost, let me eat crow a little and say that the game did pick up a lot more at the end, even though I had no idea what the hell was going on.

And to address your comment: improving on Metro 2033 as a shooter isn't much of a feat, so while I'm glad they did manage to do so, it's the least 4A could have done for a sequel. Ultimately, however, we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

"Just as good as many others" may be true, but is nowhere near as fluid or well designed as the best. There is jank. It is the same jank that was in 2033, only mitigated significantly. It is the jank that makes you stick on terrain; it is the jank that wigs out the camera when you're sprinting, rendering you unsure of whether you are actually sprinting or not; it is the jank that sees a grenade stick in the air for a split second before following its flight path; it is the jank that requires all sensitivities be jacked to resemble normal acceleration/velocity; it the jank that let's you fire mid-animation whilst aiming down your sights; it is the jank that rarely made me feel in complete, precise control of Artyom, especially when moving quickly... And so on and so forth.

I understand that a lot of the above is completely subjective and may seem too harsh, but I guess that's where my mind goes to when I feel that I'm playing an instalment that is very similar to its predecessor and leaves me thinking, "what interesting things did 4A add here, other than general refinement? In other words, I get anal, yo.

Don't get me wrong, it is a completely serviceable, if not "good" shooter with some fantastically designed weapons, aesthetically speaking (silenced revolver with stock, forend and reflex sight = drool). Where it falls short for me is a slight "off-ness" in its shooting model - a lack of smoothness and fluidity. Luckily for the game, the majority of shooting consists of headshots from the shadows, which is quite fun, albeit way, way too easy (another discussion altogether :D).

Familiarity is the chief dampener for me with Last Light; just as Tomb Raider suffered in my eyes because of Uncharted. I wanted more, I guess. It's a good game, but I'll never play it again.

Naito

Do the devs hang around here? If they do, I'd really like them to shed some light on some trophy requirements, like the "no kill" one ^^'

There's a useful guide here. Long story short: you're only allowed to kill
the armored flamethrower commie at the end
I tried to achieve Shadow Ranger on my previous playthrough but got stuck at the CHASE level and shot the guys :/

Varth

There's a useful guide here. Long story short: you're only allowed to kill
the armored flamethrower commie at the end
I tried to achieve Shadow Ranger on my previous playthrough but got stuck at the CHASE level and shot the guys :/

Oh, come on ^^'

There's plenty of places where you're stuck and loads of people are shooting at you like a fish in a barrel. How in hell am I supposed to get past the train guys and the snipers without killing? On hardcore it was hell even resorting to kills for snipers and knockout for troops.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yeah, the only parts of the game I disliked and had issues getting past were the "finish in a barrel" parts. Wait for this boat to arrive and hold off enemies, etc.

Only times I ever died.

amayo15

Banned
I'm still pretty early but I have to agree. Though I'm mostly playing this as quietly and non lethally as possible, when there was shooting it was great. I'd put it up against any FPS in pure mechanics.

I just wish my 560Ti could average more than 20 FPS in 1920*1200 Very High settings. Because it looks fucking phenomenal.

Shooting is up there with Battlefield 3 in my opinion. I think it feels amazing on the 360 controller. Force feedback set to strong gives it real oomph and the animations are super nice and fluid...sounds like this guy is still playing 2033 lol.

Naito

Oh, come on ^^'

There's plenty of places where you're stuck and loads of people are shooting at you like a fish in a barrel. How in hell am I supposed to get past the train guys and the snipers without killing? On hardcore it was hell even resorting to kills for snipers and knockout for troops.

Yeah, I'm already having an extremely hard time on the train, can't imagine how to knock out all the guys in RED SQUARE without ending up dead.
Guess I'll have to try another run, not on ranger mode and on easy :p

i realize this game is linear, but im hearing so many reviews gloss over the fact, that the player is usually rewarded for going off the beaten path

It's essential on harder difficulties to get more ammo and items, too. There's always two or three paths to every place, so it never feels like a cordoned off CoD.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished it. Well, first and foremost, let me eat crow a little and say that the game did pick up a lot more at the end, even though I had no idea what the hell was going on.

And to address your comment: improving on Metro 2033 as a shooter isn't much of a feat, so while I'm glad they did manage to do so, it's the least 4A could have done for a sequel. Ultimately, however, we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

"Just as good as many others" may be true, but is nowhere near as fluid or well designed as the best. There is jank. It is the same jank that was in 2033, only mitigated significantly. It is the jank that makes you stick on terrain; it is the jank that wigs out the camera when you're sprinting, rendering you unsure of whether you are actually sprinting or not; it is the jank that sees a grenade stick in the air for a split second before following its flight path; it is the jank that requires all sensitivities be jacked to resemble normal acceleration/velocity; it the jank that let's you fire mid-animation whilst aiming down your sights; it is the jank that rarely made me feel in complete, precise control of Artyom, especially when moving quickly... And so on and so forth.

I understand that a lot of the above is completely subjective and may seem too harsh, but I guess that's where my mind goes to when I feel that I'm playing an instalment that is very similar to its predecessor and leaves me thinking, "what interesting things did 4A add here, other than general refinement? In other words, I get anal, yo.

Don't get me wrong, it is a completely serviceable, if not "good" shooter with some fantastically designed weapons, aesthetically speaking (silenced revolver with stock, forend and reflex sight = drool). Where it falls short for me is a slight "off-ness" in its shooting model - a lack of smoothness and fluidity. Luckily for the game, the majority of shooting consists of headshots from the shadows, which is quite fun, albeit way, way too easy (another discussion altogether :D).

Familiarity is the chief dampener for me with Last Light; just as Tomb Raider suffered in my eyes because of Uncharted. I wanted more, I guess. It's a good game, but I'll never play it again.

That's cool. There is most certainly jank, it's still an eastern european developed game after all :p I just thought that from a pure 'feel' point of view and how the weapons sounded, the feedback, the enemy reactions etc it was all pretty damn good. That's hard to quantify though as it's extremely subjective to the individual. Out of curiosity, what would you personally consider top drawer shooters in terms of pure mechanics/feel of shooting ? I am genuinely curious as everyone's different and I feel my list may not match yours but good fun for comparison sake :p For me I'd consider games like Syndicate, RAGE, FEAR/FEAR 2 (most Monolith shooters ) and games like the recent Wolfenstein/Singularity (and most Raven shooters as well tbh) to be up their as my favourites in terms of the feel/sound/feedback from weapons. I could list many more but that'll do for now :p

I do understand folk not getting on with jank though. I love a lot of eastern european developed games and it's almost a trademark at this point offset by ambition and budget. Last Light really is an improvement in this regard even if it's not perfect, they've certainly made strides. I loved it because of the atmosphere, the story, the bleakness and because it actually gave you time to breathe. It gives you plenty of time to walk around, see what's happening and have lots of cool little diversions. Plus, well, I like the makeshift weapons and enjoyed the combat overall. I really do want to try and do a full stealthy playthrough but I'll maybe try a Ranger Hardcore mode for that where it forces me too. I'm terrible at staying out of sight, I'm like that bloke in a comedy film who's trying to sneak past everyone and knocks over a barrel in front of everyone :p

It doesn't change the world or anything but I just think it does what it sets out to do really well.

That's cool. There is most certainly jank, it's still an eastern european developed game after all :p I just thought that from a pure 'feel' point of view and how the weapons sounded, the feedback, the enemy reactions etc it was all pretty damn good. That's hard to quantify though as it's extremely subjective to the individual. Out of curiosity, what would you personally consider top drawer shooters in terms of pure mechanics/feel of shooting ? I am genuinely curious as everyone's different and I feel my list may not match yours but good fun for comparison sake :p For me I'd consider games like Syndicate, RAGE, FEAR/FEAR 2 (most Monolith shooters ) and games like the recent Wolfenstein/Singularity (and most Raven shooters as well tbh) to be up their as my favourites in terms of the feel/sound/feedback from weapons. I could list many more but that'll do for now :p

I do understand folk not getting on with jank though. I love a lot of eastern european developed games and it's almost a trademark at this point offset by ambition and budget. Last Light really is an improvement in this regard even if it's not perfect, they've certainly made strides. I loved it because of the atmosphere, the story, the bleakness and because it actually gave you time to breathe. It gives you plenty of time to walk around, see what's happening and have lots of cool little diversions. Plus, well, I like the makeshift weapons and enjoyed the combat overall. I really do want to try and do a full stealthy playthrough but I'll maybe try a Ranger Hardcore mode for that where it forces me too. I'm terrible at staying out of sight, I'm like that bloke in a comedy film who's trying to sneak past everyone and knows over a barrel in front of everyone :p

It doesn't change the world or anything but I just think it does what it sets out to do really well.

Man, I'm one of the seemingly very few on GAF who thinks Killzone 2 controls gloriously. Anything that's antithetical to CoD and has a strong sense of weight, momentum and physical presence is my cup of tea. So, we're actually quite similar in our tastes! And really, that does figure, 'cause I do think the feel Metro goes for is totally awesome; it just has a little bit of a ways to go in terms of execution and mechanical refinement. Anyway, props for the good taste!

Man, I'm one of the seemingly very few on GAF who thinks Killzone 2 controls gloriously. Anything that's antithetical to CoD and has a strong sense of weight, momentum and physical presence is my cup of tea. So, we're actually quite similar in our tastes! And really, that does figure, 'cause I do think the feel Metro goes for is totally awesome; it just has a little bit of a ways to go in terms of execution and mechanical refinement. Anyway, props for the good taste!

Killzone's problem for me is that while the momentum and weight and all that is great, it's counter intuitive to an FPS game. It made aiming really clunky for me and aiming with analog sticks is clunky enough already.
It was more so when I tackled Multiplayer though that it really fucking annoyed me lol

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

Killzone 2's pretty good, I just found it a bit 'too' heavy for me personally. In all honesty I forget how much I enjoy those games combat because I absolutely despise the ISA :p I really want to play as the Helghast for a full Killzone game so as I can personally stab Rico in the fuckin head.

Russian speech sounds much better, but then you'll have to look at the subtitles instead of the people and world around you, which is kind of a bad fit for getting immersed in the world, counteracting half the point of Ranger mode. First time I wish I knew Russian.

Is there such a thing as an ideal difficulty level with this game?
Trying out Ranger Hardcore, see how that goes. I assume you'll at least be able to restart a chapter at a different difficulty if this plan eventually turns sour?

Varth

Russian speech sounds much better, but then you'll have to look at the subtitles instead of the people and world around you, which is kind of a bad fit for getting immersed in the world, counteracting half the point of Ranger mode. First time I wish I knew Russian.

Is there such a thing as an ideal difficulty level with this game?
Trying out Ranger Hardcore, see how that goes. I assume you'll at least be able to restart a chapter at a different difficulty if this plan eventually turns sour?

Ranger and vanilla hardcore are perfect, as long as you don't mind trophies/achievements. They're pretty bugged, anyway.

I am really loving this game! Breath of fresh air after Crysis 3. I can't believe the budget for this game was so low...imagine what these guys could do with a bigger budget.

4A Games <3

DukeBobby

Didn't get the Shadow Ranger achievement. I think I accidently shot one sniper on the
Red Square
chapter, even though I reloaded the checkpoint after doing it. What a bullshit achievement. Don't know why I even bothered to try it.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't get the Shadow Ranger achievement. I think I accidently shot one sniper on the
Red Square
chapter, even though I reloaded the checkpoint after doing it. What a bullshit achievement. Don't know why I even bothered to try it.

Like several of you, I tried getting Shadow Ranger, but failed to do so because of the
train and sniper
levels.

I might go for it again on a second playthrough, but I think I'm gonna need to look up how to do it.

xenist

Screw no kill achievements. I don't kill anyone who doesn't go looking for it but everyone else dies. Especially
those scumbag robbers killing and raping innocent civilians. I took all these fuckers out. No one knew what him either.

DukeBobby

Like several of you, I tried getting Shadow Ranger, but failed to do so because of the
train and sniper
levels.

I might go for it again on a second playthrough, but I think I'm gonna need to look up how to do it.

I think you are only allowed to kill
the guy with the flamethrower at the end.

Facism

killzone 2's controls meant you had to aim with your movement as well as your viewpoint manipulations, and had a lot more depth involved in marrying those 2 mechanics over the noskill ADS-shit that infests a lot of FPS games. If you were using sights in kz2 for anything other than trying to land hits FAAAAAR across Salamun's central road or Pyhrus Rise you were being inefficient with the tools and mechanics given to you. I concede that it's not for everyone though and that the camera is VERY sluggish, but i loved the way it played so that's what matters to me :)

Finished Metro LL today. Worth every penny. Loved it.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
So I finally felt dat Ranger pressure, especially on the
Swamp Boss and the boss after that in the underground church tunnels.
The latter especially was awesome in that I was down to absolutely nothing after emptying my double barrel on him. I ran around dodging like a crazy man for a good while trying to decide a course of action until I said fuck it, let me chuck a knife for the hell of it, ready as I was to just give up and die. Nailed him in the head, down he goes. I paused for a second in disbelief, then laughed.

Great game, even with all the scripted stuff. The atmosphere and moments like above keep me going.

spectros4

Neo Member

Killzone 2 and its controls <3

Ricker

Completly stuck in one of those big boiler rooms I guess,where you have some guys counting down something in front of big valves,probaly like level 7 or so ...I sneaked killed most of them and killed the last 3 with my shotgun but now I don't see what I have to do or find an exit out of there...if I backtrack I cant go far,one of the doors I came through to get in there does not open anymore...dead ends everywhere and nothing happens...I think it saved after all the firefight though.

Any chance of this game being ported over to next-gen consoles in 60fps goodness?

After watching an LP on YT of this running on a GTX 690 I feel like current gen consoles won't do it proper justice.

WX3

Xenist, I have the non TI GTX 560 and I run it with high tesselation, very high settings, no vsync, and I get great performance at 1920x1080. What's your other system specs if I might ask? I have 12gb ram with an I7 2600 CPU. I wonder if maybe you might be able to find some more oomph with your rig? Also I am running the latest nvidia beta drivers. Never ran it through the benchmark, but to me its easily 50+ fps with few dips below 45.

Daigoro

rented and beat the game over the weekend.it was pretty good.

just wanted to say that I can't believe that in this day and age the generic sound clip of children laughing used in intro for Diddy Kong Racing (among a hundred other games) is STILL being used in current games.

can't get over that shit honestly.

Thought my ending was "good". Turns out it wasn't. Whatevs.
What's the point of making me a goddamn lethal S.T.A.L.K.E.R ninja if I get penalized for using all my tools.

Carcetti

So, played it through and now I'm wondering what I missed not owning Ranger mode. Has someone played both ways and compared the experience? Does it do anything else other than remove the hud which doesn't sound too interesting.

Completly stuck in one of those big boiler rooms I guess,where you have some guys counting down something in front of big valves,probaly like level 7 or so ...I sneaked killed most of them and killed the last 3 with my shotgun but now I don't see what I have to do or find an exit out of there...if I backtrack I cant go far,one of the doors I came through to get in there does not open anymore...dead ends everywhere and nothing happens...I think it saved after all the firefight though.

You need to enter
the big environmental fan on second floor
. It was marked really badly.

Naito

Has someone played both ways and compared the experience? Does it do anything else other than remove the hud which doesn't sound too interesting.

Makes combat more lethal, easier to die but easier to kill too and less ammo and resources.
The HUD-less experience is overall more immersive.

Varth

There are rumours of a PS4 port, but I don't think anything has been confirmed.

I think it was confirmed in an interview that it would not only come to PS4, but with the first too.

So I finally felt dat Ranger pressure, especially on the
Swamp Boss and the boss after that in the underground church tunnels.
The latter especially was awesome in that I was down to absolutely nothing after emptying my double barrel on him. I ran around dodging like a crazy man for a good while trying to decide a course of action until I said fuck it, let me chuck a knife for the hell of it, ready as I was to just give up and die. Nailed him in the head, down he goes. I paused for a second in disbelief, then laughed.

LOL, same exact thing here with the underground boss. Forgot I had money ammo, so I was really desperate. Chucked a Knife on his head and bam.

Started an easy run to get the no kill, bad ending and other trophies. Too bad you can't skip cutscenes.

Ricker

So, played it through and now I'm wondering what I missed not owning Ranger mode. Has someone played both ways and compared the experience? Does it do anything else other than remove the hud which doesn't sound too interesting.

You need to enter
the big environmental fan on second floor
. It was marked really badly.

Wow found it,thanks...yeah that really wasn't obvious,game being very dark and all hehe

You
shut down the fan, which causes the room to fill with gas and kill everybody
. I thought it was kinda obvious :p

Cool tip but that wasn't my problem though... :p

Got a small patch again this morning on Steam...

Question about the (maybe mid game spoiler)
car:

I'm after the part where it goes down a steep hill and then crashes, and now it keeps stopping and making me get out. Why is it doing that
?

Oreoleo

Question about the (maybe mid game spoiler)
car:

I'm after the part where it goes down a steep hill and then crashes, and now it keeps stopping and making me get out. Why is it doing that
?

you have to flip the switch on the track to take the other path with your car. IIRC there is a wooden barricade you smash through

you have to flip the switch on the track to take the other path with your car. IIRC there is a wooden barricade you smash through
Yeah Im past that part, but it still makes me get out every now and then. I wonder if there's something wrong with my controller.

Edit: never mind I'm an idiot.
I keep pressing B to duck thinking it'll make me hunch down in the seat but really it's the button for getting out. Lol!

Ranger and vanilla hardcore are perfect, as long as you don't mind trophies/achievements. They're pretty bugged, anyway.

Cool. I don't usually go for hard-ass modes, but I reckon it makes sense for this game.

One thing I'm wondering about so far is; how are you supposed to know how many mags/clips you've got left?

Top Bottom