• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light |OT| Last bullet. Last breath. Last chance.

• Thread starter Deleted member 102362
  • Start date
Anyone who has Nvidia 3DVision, give this game a shot with it. It's mindbending. It's probably the best example of stereoscopic gaming there is.

Now I can't wait to see what this game will look like with the Occulus Rift!

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished Metro 2033, is this one really a good sequel or just more of the same?

Both. It offers a lot of familiar content from 2033 (setting, enemies, factions) but has a lot of new content as well.

One of the missions is set in the Library. Take care in there...

hL5Ck.gif

Hypron

I finished the game a couple of days ago, and I really loved it. I got the bad ending even though I tried to avoid killing too many people. But then I realised the day after I finished the game that you could knock people out instead of stabbing them to death. No wonder why I didn't get the good ending haha.

I finished the game a couple of days ago, and I really loved it. I got the bad ending even though I tried to avoid killing too many people. But then I realised the day after I finished the game that you could knock people out instead of stabbing them to death. No wonder why I didn't get the good ending haha.
I haven't seen the good ending, but I was content with the way the bad ending played out.

Ghost23

I just started this game. I'm using a 680m gpu, and whenever I started the first hour I was getting a steady 45fps with the settings I had. I then decided to upgrade my drivers to the current ones because I have upgraded in awhile. Now whenever I play, there are some spots that drop down to a steady 13fps. It is pretty much unplayable and annoying. It is really this unoptimized?

TJP

Metro Last Light was pretty damn solid experience on my 680. The problem has been Nvidia's drivers which have been average over the course of a few months; read the feedback on Guru3D for example with people reverting back to the 314 drivers or earlier. That said, iy might be worth downloading the 326.01 drivers: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379973

NEO0MJ

Well, I bought the game before the sale ended yesterday on a hunch, but didn't have much time to play it yet. Hope you guys were right!

TJP

I'm poor right now so someone tell me how it is!
Playing as a Reich Heavy so far it's been frenetic but brilliant edit: and very short 8(

Moving onto the next mission and it's the Library scavenge hunt as a Polis Ranger,. So far it's worth the price of the DLC package on its own. Creepy as anything from either Metro 2033 or Last Light and provides great risk and reward with what I hope will be a lot of exploration to do whilst trying to remain hidden from the nasties. I may soil myself once a Librarian appears as you start with the just the basics
and need to find items such as books, toys, PC parts, fuel and trade them to buy better weapons and one of two armour options.

Einbroch

Banned
I'm getting a little frustrated trying to go through the game stealthed, especially because there are LONG times between checkpoints/saves. I'm not asking for a quick save, but when I just sat through a three minute speech then when I reload having to sit through the same speech again...it gets really old. Especially on my eighth try.

Einbroch

Banned
Well, no-kill is out. There's a guy on a railcar that you have to dispose of that can't be knocked out.

Spent 30 minutes restarting like nine times, no luck. Searched the web, it's a bug. Makes me not want to play anymore. Good game up until now, but this just takes all the wind out of my sails.

RoKKeR

Well, no-kill is out. There's a guy on a railcar that you have to dispose of that can't be knocked out.

Spent 30 minutes restarting like nine times, no luck. Searched the web, it's a bug. Makes me not want to play anymore. Good game up until now, but this just takes all the wind out of my sails.
Are you going for achievements or something? Just play the damn game. It really bugs me when people insist on a "perfect" with loads of restarts just when they blow stealth. It isn't a stealth game, and it's great when you part way stealth a section, blow it, and then have to scramble to defend yourself.

Einbroch

Banned
Are you going for achievements or something? Just play the damn game. It really bugs me when people insist on a "perfect" with loads of restarts just when they blow stealth. It isn't a stealth game, and it's great when you part way stealth a section, blow it, and then have to scramble to defend yourself.

I don't restart every time I get caught. I get caught almost every mission. I'm going for no kill because I don't want to kill anyone, and the game encourages that through "good" endings and "bad" endings and a pseudo-morality system.

And this IS kinda is a stealth game. There's even an indicator on your arm that shows when you're visible. And you can take out lights. And you can distract guards. It's pretty much a stealth game if you want it to be one, and they encourage it.

Sorry my play style bugs you.

Oreoleo

I remember seeing the same thing all the time when the new Deus Ex came out. Seems like a great way to sap all the fun out of a game.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member

The Metro series is designed to accomodate both action and stealth playstyles.

NEO0MJ

Played it for a couple of hours, game really is good so far. Is it recommended to read the plot of Metro 2033 to get a better understanding of the game's wold?

I don't restart every time I get caught. I get caught almost every mission. I'm going for no kill because I don't want to kill anyone, and the game encourages that through "good" endings and "bad" endings and a pseudo-morality system.

And this IS kinda is a stealth game. There's even an indicator on your arm that shows when you're visible. And you can take out lights. And you can distract guards. It's pretty much a stealth game if you want it to be one, and they encourage it.

Sorry my play style bugs you.

Don't sweat it. The "bad" ending is totally fine.

My framerate during the Reiche heavy section is absurd. Hovering around 10 despite the base game running at 60 most of the time, 40 in towns.

Anyone else having issues? If not I imagine it's an issue with the 8.1 beta, the mouse cursor no longer works in the menus which is odd.

Have a 4GB GTX670 and I53570K

Edit: Woah, the whole game runs at 10 FPS now. What in the fuck.

Edit 2: Hmm, it seems to have resolved itself but required a restart. How odd.

Edit: 3 and now again. Egad! Some levels run fine, others don't. Sniper Mission is perfect for example.(edit 4, nevermind it gets random drops to 22-28 FPS)

This is all very bizarre.

Amon-Lau

Haven't had any bugs with the DLC as of yet, though there were a few scary glitches during the Polis mission where some monsters when you kill ém they freeze in place even though they're dead~
It's annoying cause they still make sounds so it can make you really jumpy when you try to loot ém... xDDD;

Also the Reiche mission is really PhysX heavy forcing to disable it for the first time in the game... X_X
Though the latest nVidia driver update really screwed with the game making the frame rate in it so dreadful, had to back up to an older driver just to play the dlc decently... =/

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I've spent over an hour trying to beat the Reich mission. This is horrible. :/

TJP

Though the latest nVidia driver update really screwed with the game making the frame rate in it so dreadful, had to back up to an older driver just to play the dlc decently... =/
Yep, Nvidia drivers have been really shit lately. There is a new beta driver on Guru3D - version 326.19 - which I tried and found to be okay but there are a lot of people on the Guru3D forum with issues so I rolled back to 320.49 which at least has a profile for Last Light. Driver 320.18 is probably the first driver with support for Last Light but I can't recall if this was the driver that some claimed killed their GPU...sad fact is most of the drivers from 314.XX onwards suck.

Having finished all three missions, the pick of the DLC was the library hunt, followed a long way behind is the sniper mission and the heavy 'stand, shoot and pray' mission being just okay. All three missions just ended suddenly which was very disappointing.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still working on the DLC, so I'll post more in-depth thoughts later.

In the meantime, did anyone else get a 138 MB patch? Any idea what's in it?

TJP

In the meantime, did anyone else get a 138 MB patch? Any idea what's in it?
Got the same; no idea as to what it's for and a search of FB and Steam forums shows nothing as yet. Probably fixes to the DLC...

Edit: from Steam, here are the fixes..

Update 1: A Patch has been released to fix an issue with random crashes at the start for some hardware configurations, as well as some stereo bugs with 3D vision.

Update 2: A new patch is now live in Steam distribution. Restart Steam if it doesn't download.

- Optimized performance for AMD hardware
- Fixed shadow visual corruption bug for AMD 7xxx cards.
- Fixed issue with game starting only in 3:1 resolution on some TVs.
- Added option to manually tweak FOV via the config file:

After starting the game up, the user.cfg will be updated with the r_base_fov attribute. You can find this in %LOCALAPPDATA%\4A Games\Metro LL\. Tweak it at your leisure!

Update 3: Fixed the Lcore.exe performance issue.

Update 4: Fixed the stutter bug. Thread synchronization mechanism was tuned for PCs with four or less hardware threads. Steam crash dump collection system was added. Changes to Czech language text.

Update 5: Fixed performance drop issue with tessellation set to "Very High." Added difficulty selection for Faction Pack levels

Kimaka

I have sound issue where the gun sounds are really low and I can't hear characters talk unless I am facing away from them. Anyone else had this issue and know how to solve it? I'm playing it on the original PS3 model.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Update 5: Fixed performance drop issue with tessellation set to "Very High." Added difficulty selection for Faction Pack levels

That's a start. Now they need to make it so bullets don't ignore concrete walls.

Top Bottom