• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

I'd like to see some of your comparisons.

Redux:
metro_polo_1080_14yj5pjauo.jpg

Original:
m33nszcm.png

seph1roth

I must say, that kind of light in 2033 is very "movie a-like", spectacular but also a bit unrealistic at some points.

From those pics, i prefer by far Redux. They should have done a better use of volumetric light than simply removing it.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Been a hard decision, but I think ill go ahead and preorder both to take advantage of the 50% off deal. Well looking forward to 2033 redux, still not sure what to think on LL redux.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Damn, wasnt expecting a downgrade on the pc end. Some of those comparison shot/videos are pretty bad for a game thats supposed to be an upgrade.Glad i held off on that promotional deal.

Redux:
metro_polo_1080_4k9d70yxcr.jpg

Original:
m35hzxtg.png

btw thanks to K-putt from the High Res Screenshots thread here for these pre-release shots. Did it without his knowledge, but I would imagine it is not a big deal.

excluding some stuff from a technical perpective (particles and no volumetrics), yes, it does.

There are a lot of volumetric cuts throughout the game. Overall I think it looks better in almost every other way though. Particles notwithstanding. (I didn't really notice on that front)

RoKKeR

Damn, wasnt expecting a downgrade on the pc end. Some of those comparison shot/videos are pretty bad for a game thats supposed to be an upgrade.Glad i held off on that promotional deal.

I've yet to see this "downgrade", other than Last Light redux looking a bit brighter than the original.

I've yet to see this "downgrade", other than Last Light redux looking a bit brighter than the original.

There are a couple technical downgrades which affect the atmosphere of some areas and or generally just look "low res", but beyond that... the game's art looks much better in general.

Redux:

btw thanks to K-putt from the High Res Screenshots thread here for these pre-release shots. Did it without his knowledge, but I would imagine it is not a big deal.

Pretty striking difference. It's a bit TOO bright for my liking though. I like Redux a lot more in that other comparison above

Redux:
metro_polo_1080_4k9d70yxcr.jpg

Original:
m35hzxtg.png

I know "technically" redux is superior, with its global illumination and such. But in this area I prefer the original. It's much more suiting of a post apocalypse.

The original atmosphere is completely fucked up in the Redux, why the hell they make this artistical choice :/

Now this is where I stand on issue. The individual art in the game looks better (character models, probably most texturing etc...), but the images in the game are quite saturated and much brighter in general. Pile that on with some of the technical changes for volumetrics and particles and I become confused.

I am still getting this, but I question some of their decisions regarding the technical artistry and mood.

edt: BTW, anyone recognize this scene?

I am either thinking bourbon or khan scenes going through the metro... but I forget which chapter. I want to load it up and comparison screenshot it.

Kssio_Aug

Redux:
http://abload.de/img/metro_polo_1080_4k9d70yxcr.jpg

Original:
http://abload.de/img/m35hzxtg.png

Now here is the other way around. Redux is clearly superior (technically speaking) but why the hell did they opt for that bright environment? The darker tone of the original fits the game atmosphere much better I believe.

Hmmm, i mostly bought the redux version because of the supposed optimization. Conflicted now if i should cancel the pre order :/

RoKKeR

Bunch of webms really showed it off in prior pages. Lots of atmosphere missing.
Ah I missed those. Safari syndrome.

Either way calling it a downgrade (concerning 2033 at least) seems disingenuous considering the shots in this page. Missing effects is one thing, "downgrade" is another.

Cubed

If I'm honest, this thread has killed my hype for this double remaster.

I still want to get it and I really want to support 4A, but seeing these comparisons is a bit of a bummer. Still, with graphics this good, and the game running 1080P and 60 frames per second on PS4, I may just get it to get that new gen feel!

Never tried Last Light, either.

Dex815

Cannot wait to see the chapel in 2033. I relaxed in that area before continuing the travel for at least 10 minutes, just looking at each wall and the dome. The details of the gold leaf were so neat when you point the torch or the lighter to it.

misho8723

Banned
I know "technically" redux is superior, with its global illumination and such. But in this area I prefer the original. It's much more suiting of a post apocalypse.

I agree that it's more suiting to the postapocalypthic setting, but i think it makes more sense in the Redux edition - because of snow - in the original it is only on the ground, but nowhere else.. in Redux snow is not only on the ground, but everywhere - on cars, on buildings, on signs, etc.. so maybe from a logical point it makes sense why it's so bright

The original atmosphere is completely fucked up in the Redux, why the hell they make this artistical choice :/

Maybe Deep Siver had some focus groups running and the groundbreaking results were to make everything much more brighter to reach the Call of Duty crowd?

But i`m with you, so far i don`t like most artistical choices they made.

In general I think the game does "look better." But I am just confused at some technical decisions they made which affect the art. Also, the game does look a bit oversaturated. Nothing that SweetFX would fix.

I agree that it's more suiting to the postapocalypthic setting, but i think it makes more sense in the Redux edition - because of snow - in the original it is only on the ground, but nowhere else.. in Redux snow is not only on the ground, but everywhere - on cars, on buildings, on signs, etc.. so maybe from a logical point it makes sense why it's so bright

This is quite true. The placement of the snow in the first game was basically just "here is a snow ground texture."

The snow in last light is on everything, and hence, changes the scenes mood quite a bit even without a TOD difference or GI. I like that snow is everywhere. Also.. if the game is too bright on PC. SweetFX guys, SweetFX!

If I'm honest, this thread has killed my hype for this double remaster.

I still want to get it and I really want to support 4A, but seeing these comparisons is a bit of a bummer. Still, with graphics this good, and the game running 1080P and 60 frames per second on PS4, I may just get it to get that new gen feel!

Never tried Last Light, either.

My Hype is a wheebit deflated as well in some ways, but I am definitely getting the 2033 Redux.

Kssio_Aug

I just wanna play this game now on my PS4! T-T
And I can't understand why theres still no pre-order on PS4! Dont they want my money?

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
I don't really agree -- some of the assets are significantly better in Redux, but the volumetric light adds so much to the original scene.

personally I think alot of the volumetric lights were overdone, I think it looks much more subtle and better in the redux version.

personally I think alot of the volumetric lights were overdone, I think it looks much more subtle and better in the redux version.
One is recorded at 40 (to save filesize originally) and the other is 60.

Idk, I think it looks much better with. Far from looking "overdone..."

Original
http://a.pomf.se/fkcvba.webm

Redux
http://a.pomf.se/jymflo.webm

Saw it in the steam thread earlier but my googlefuu didn't turn anything up.

I doubt it, I tried running LL with the Redux profile and got the same performance.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
One is recorded at 40 (to save filesize originally) and the other is 60.

Idk, I think it looks much better with. Far from looking "overdone..."

Original
http://a.pomf.se/fkcvba.webm

Redux
http://a.pomf.se/jymflo.webm

I doubt it, I tried running LL with the Redux profile and got the same performance.

I think it looks better from a bad ass perspective, but in the grand scheme of the game I can't say I feel like I would miss it.

But damn it does look cool though.

Leb

I agree. I played through it a couple of times and felt it was a bit overdone especially indoors and in small spaces. Living quarters should not have a ton of dust in the air for no reason.

Actually... in the book, the free stations are often described as smoky and poorly ventilated.

its overdone

I must say, I think you will find it hard pressed for most people who played the original to say it was overdone. It being everywhere in the game impressed into on to our minds, and I think the game looks glaringly less "metro-like" without it. Plus that scene is also missing the volumetric particles which flow out from the gaps in the door and fall to the ground whilst disapating Perhaps those are their on NV confugs though,...

I agree. I played through it a couple of times and felt it was a bit overdone especially indoors and in small spaces. Living quarters should not have a ton of dust in the air for no reason.

Except this is a stylized Russian apocalypse that takes place in the dirty dusty metro! The new billboards which take the place of the real volumetric lights do the exact same thing, just less dynamically and effectively.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
While some of the graphical changes are disappointing, I'm actually open to seeing how others, like the outdoor environments, play out. My main point of interest in Redux, though, is the long-lost French plantation scene gameplay and how it's been changed. I love some of the animation changes they've made as well.

I'm withholding ultimate judgement till I've played Redux, of course, but overall, I'm still excited.

TJP

Actually... in the book, the free stations are often described as smoky and poorly ventilated.
Indeed. In both books (I own audio book versions of Metro 2033 and 2034 which can be found on Amazon) there are quite a few stations far more spooky and filed with oddities than what is shown in either game..

Still happy to have pre-ordered the redux via Steam despite some mild negative feelings towards a few of the changes.

Leb

Indeed. In both books (I own audio book versions of Metro 2033 and 2034 which can be found on Amazon) there are quite a few stations far more spooky and filed with oddities than what is shown in either game..

Still happy to have pre-ordered the redux via Steam despite some mild negative feelings towards a few of the changes.

Aye, like the Cult of the Great Worm. Not entirely surprising that their station didn't show up in the games... :-D

TJP

Aye, like the Cult of the Great Worm. Not entirely surprising that their station didn't show up in the games... :-D
It would make for a very trippy set of levels! Apparently the Metro 2035 book should be out before the end of the year. Hopefully the English version is available soon after the Russian release.

Top Bottom