• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

uh yes lighting like that is no where near realistic, the heavens aren't opening up from the outside into the metro, the new lighting looks way more realistic.

I completely agree. I've been worrying about Redux from all this talk about the lighting effects being toned down but after watching that comparison video I'm actually glad they changed it. The PC version looks like its trying to hard to impress as opposed to being realistic. It was hilarious that all that light shining through was just moonlight, I expected some huge spotlight outside when I first saw it. It looks cool but its ridiculous. Can't wait until Tuesday!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Funny thing, the Volumetric lgihting in Metroo is sooo much more subtle compared to the near opaque beams of KZSF:
2390118-killzone_988544b.jpg

Yet for some reason... Metros look unrealistc? I dont get it. Better yet, I dont get how it looks overdone in Metro 2033, especially in comparison to other games.

volumetric_light_-_masxjw6.png
What's to get? It just looks better and more natural and even also more dramatic in KZSF. I also disagree that it looks opaque in SF. It has very natural falloff from dense to less dense. On the other hand, it almost looks like a flat sprite effect in the Metro shot you posted. *edit* The screen I was referring to is actually from Alan Wake which I didn't initially recognize.

What's to get? It just looks better and more natural and even also more dramatic in KZSF. I also disagree that it looks opaque in SF. It has very natural falloff from dense to less dense. On the other hand, it almost looks like a flat sprite effect in the Metro shot you posted.

This looks like a flat sprite?
It has fall off and everything...

btw, the bright spot in the background is bloom from the metals specular, it has nothing to do with the volume...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The aim isn't always realism. Even in a game where assets and presentation are generally grounded in realism, use of assets and effects are deliberately stylistic to convey a mood or theme.

For example:

Alan Wake's overdone volumetric lighting seemed to me to be a pretty clear stylistic choice in order to accentuate the importance and strength of light both as a gameplay mechanic and narrative theme within an atmosphere bathed in darkness. These light shafts were not supposed to look realistic but instead thick, volumetric, and almost like you could reach out and feel them. It gives them a stylistic visual strength suited to the story being told.

Killzone is similar, like a lot of space age scifis, which contrast lights, neons, blooms, and volumetric shafts on black backgrounds. I'm not sure why this is but I guess because it visually suggests futuristic, and maybe because it draws from the natural visual phenomena of suns and stars illuminating a jet black night sky. In that sense it's visually symbolic and hence frequently used in thematically similar games.

Metro is a little similar to Alan Wake in that the contrast of darkness/light was a big part of the story, at least in the sense that most people are used to living underground in unnaturally lit man made tunnels, and natural light was a rarely seen phenomena from the outside world. The sequence in 2033, when the doors first open, is beautifully highlighted by the volumetric lighting. Visually it's symbolic, contrasting the dark, gloomy nothingness of the metro against a heroic-like character returning from a successful adventure in land above. The light is him stepping out of what he's experienced and seen back into the world you're more familiar with.

Dialled back in Redux I think the scene loses a lot of impact. That being said the character models and lighting complexity is shitloads better, so it still looks gorgeous.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This looks like a flat sprite?

It has fall off and everything...

btw, the bright spot in the background is bloom from the metals specular, it has nothing to do with the volume...
Oh, OK I was thinking the Alan Wake shot was from Metro and was referring to that. No, it looks fine in Metro, as you said almost too subtle if anything. I generally like the lighting of Redux better though, in some of the screen comparisons you posted.

Gold Member
Just ordered the PS4 version off Amazon UK for £25 with free 1st class delivery. How is it so cheap its two games in one? Such a bargain!

I've not played them either really, well I bought 2033 in a steam sale ages ago but its just sitting in my backlog. I'll be straight on these once I finish TLOU though, should keep me going for a while.

teokrazia

Actually, the precision of the motionblur is much improved in the Last Light /Redux engine. The reason why that NPC is probably more blurred in the frame you posted... is because your framerate was lower back then... hence making the time scaling for the motionblur higher.

Your explanation made me curious, so I've gone back to that exact point and... fuck nostalgia goggles [and screenshots :p], you were right. :)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So what's the verdict about volumetric lights in Redux? Are they completely removed on consoles? What about PC version? Or are they just reduced on both?

So what's the verdict about volumetric lights in Redux? Are they completely removed on consoles? What about PC version? Or are they just reduced on both?

Not present on consoles, PC version has it removed in completely random areas. It is present in some areas and not in others, almost randomly removed.

I really have no idea why it is removed in some areas.

Durante

In terms of technical sophistication and "realism" of the volumetric lighting I don't think any of the posted games match Metro 2033 (and that includes its own remake).

Well, I was really looking to this level - Cursed - and how it's going to look in Redux, and he still looks good, but even the Xbox360 of 2033 had much more fog and another effects which are missing in Redux PC

M2033 Xbox360
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei3Mk_nW_ho

Redux PC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSv5OHBMAks&list=UUcong43fhW72zdLAa43MUug

This is surpremely confusing.

IT is that ONE smoke sprite that is everywhere in the first game, but missing in Redux. Not sure why it is gone...

Daemul

Always wanted to play this but I've never been into the idea of having a strong gaming PC. Possibly another reason for me to move to the next gen consoles...

Although for the most part I still couldn't give a rat's ass about any of the new consoles.

For those who have played, how does 2033 Redux play in comparison to the disaster that is the original game?

edit

In terms of performance

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Actually, the precision of the motionblur is much improved in the Last Light /Redux engine. The reason why that NPC is probably more blurred in the frame you posted... is because your framerate was lower back then... hence making the time scaling for the motionblur higher.

Furthermore, if you compare motionblur accuracy and arifacting you can see quite a difference.
For example, here is the motionblur from last light: Smooth, no haloing

And a very similar scene from 2033:

You see a large transition/translation error, some breaks and pauses in it, halos around the moving geometry, etc...

Also, I am mighty jealous of your Review veta access :p

Damn, Redux motion blur looks good. I really hope it's in the console versions. I've seen it in PC vids but not in any PS4 vids.

Always wanted to play this but I've never been into the idea of having a strong gaming PC. Possibly another reason for me to move to the next gen consoles...

Although for the most part I still couldn't give a rat's ass about any of the new consoles.

Well if you don't want a gaming PC and you don't want a next-gen console, then you could always just play the original versions on 360 or PS3. Nothing wrong with that.

Daemul

Well in the Frontline level the change is drastic:

But if you want to see the level Ghosts, than you can see the Redux version of him here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DneWx0aqMpg&list=UUcong43fhW72zdLAa43MUug

Jesus, you can
barely see the ghosts. The guy commentating in the video you posted even completely missed the ghost boy being attack by the Nosalis because he couldn't see it.

Here's the original level. SPOILER WARNING:Don't watch this video if you haven't finished the game.

Original Metro 2033
"Ghosts"
level

True. But I've heard they're not so good?

In terms of how they run on last-gen consoles or in terms of gameplay? They run fine on last gen. Obviously it's not going to look as good as the Redux versions, but many people enjoyed it when they released.

If you're talking about gameplay, then you just need to take a look at some gameplay videos (many people here are streaming it!), read some reviews and decide for yourself if you want to play it. Heck, just grab the first one if you're cautious. It's $20 on last gen (you could find it used for even less if you're strapped for cash). If it doesn't look interesting to you, then just move on. Not every game appeals to every person.

Damn, Redux motion blur looks good. I really hope it's in the console versions. I've seen it in PC vids but not in any PS4 vids.

Watching the stream... I am also having trouble seeing it...

Quick comparison of PS4 capture @ 60fps from digital foundry and a 60 fps capture on my rig from LL (assuming equal and having the exact same frame stepping for motionblur).

Metro LL PC (look at the hands and arms)

Metro Redux PS4

Cudder

So what mode is everyone playing on? I gather that the original 2033 was played with "Survival" settings, and that the original LL was played on Spartan? And this Redux just let's you interchange them between the games?

Deadbeat

Banned
Since that changes the hand models ... perhaps.

But LL has so many hand models... and especially ones for different armor types. It is 100% doable IMO.
They could have just used the three models from LL (hell it was used in the library DLC). Bare hands for stock, that anti rad suit for stealth, and then the armor for armor.

So has a review embargo been officially lifted for this game or not? I'm already seeing some reviews out there, but they are few and far between.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Quick comparison of PS4 capture @ 60fps from digital foundry and a 60 fps capture on my rig from LL (assuming equal and having the exact same frame stepping for motionblur).

Metro LL PC (look at the hands and arms)

Metro Redux PS4
Yeah, can't see it at all on PS4. That's a damn shame.

FYI you get a $10 gift card with Metro Redux at Best Buy, but according to their forums rep, it's not for pre-orders. It needs to be bought during the promotion EDIT: promotion runs from release day through the Saturday of the release week http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/334599-best-buy-ad-824-830/

Thanks for the tip. I have $17 left on a giftcard to use. Can the $10 be used right away? It would be nice to use that on Madden 15 while I'm there.

DOWN

Banned
Thanks for the tip. I have $17 left on a giftcard to use. Can the $10 be used right away? It would be nice to use that on Madden 15 while I'm there.

Not sure. It can't be used on Metro, but last time they gave me this it was just a regular $10 gift card, so presumably you could go find Madden once you have the card and do another transaction but you'd have to check on that for sure.

Kezen

Banned
Yeah, can't see it at all on PS4. That's a damn shame.

Is motion blur needed at 60fps ? I'm playing the PS4 version as I write this and I think it looks very good. If fact I'm having a very hard time telling myself I'm not playing on PC.

Hammer24

Banned
OK, so:
- I read and loved the books
- I haven´t played the games yet
--> I´ll buy the games next week. What difficulty settings would you recommend me, if I want it to be no twitch shooter, but more to relive the books or feel like an RPG?

Top Bottom