• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

Indeed. In both books (I own audio book versions of Metro 2033 and 2034 which can be found on Amazon) there are quite a few stations far more spooky and filed with oddities than what is shown in either game..

Still happy to have pre-ordered the redux via Steam despite some mild negative feelings towards a few of the changes.

I loved that they included the station that was empty except for the 2 guys at the campfire in the Khan DLC for LL :D

and for people getting bummed out over these comparisons, DONT! If its your first time in the Metro, youre in for a fantastic ride and youre getting the best possible versions of the games for console. For PC owners, youre getting a good re-imagining of a great game, another reason to dip back into the Metro, and hey if you don't like it, OG 2033 is still going for pennies during sales

I loved that they included the station that was empty except for the 2 guys at the campfire in the Khan DLC for LL :D

and for people getting bummed out over these comparisons, DONT! If its your first time in the Metro, youre in for a fantastic ride and youre getting the best possible versions of the games for console. For PC owners, youre getting a good re-imagining of a great game, another reason to dip back into the Metro, and hey if you don't like it, OG 2033 is still going for pennies during sales

Here Here!

TJP

It was a cool addition for the fans.

Iand for people getting bummed out over these comparisons, DONT! If its your first time in the Metro, youre in for a fantastic ride and youre getting the best possible versions of the games for console. For PC owners, youre getting a good re-imagining of a great game, another reason to dip back into the Metro, and hey if you don't like it, OG 2033 is still going for pennies during sales
I'm not upset with anything other than the change to Arytom's voice from Metro 2033 to LL - same voice actor from LL is being used for Metro Redux. Good thing I use the Russian language with subtitles.

Not a first-timer here ;) I've played and finished Metro 2033 on the Xbox 360 and PC and LL on PC - all 100% completed. LL was a pre-order along with the season pass & Redux was purchased as soon as it was on Steam. I have the first print of the English translation of Metro 2033 as well as the two audio books...I'm a little bit of a fan I 'spose.

Daemul

Good thing I use the Russian language with subtitles.

c6RDBuJ.gif

The English voice acting is poor. I switched to Russian on my replay of the games and never looked back. I learnt a lot of Russian curse words too :p

Thanks for the affirmation -- I was getting pretty bummed out by all the PC version talk going on in this thread. It's been kind of desolate of any hype
no pun intended
, especially for an OT. I'm so excited to play these games for the first time.

Thanks for the affirmation -- I was getting pretty bummed out by all the PC version talk going on in this thread. It's been kind of desolate of any hype
no pun intended
, especially for an OT. I'm so excited to play these games for the first time.

If this is your first time playing it, and if you are playing it on the consoles, then this will be an awesome release for you.

1080p flat 60 fps is mind blowing for how the game looks... and the games themselves are of course fantastic.

You will enjoy :p Sorry for stinking up the thread with my technical bs. I cannot help myself.
c6RDBuJ.gif

The English voice acting is poor. I switched to Russian on my replay of the games and never looked back. I learnt a lot of Russian curse words too :p

The only problem are the side conversations. I find the english voice acting poor, but the german VO is a bit better (though the children VO in the German is freaking scary bad) so I use that for my first play through... and then russian afterward. Otherwise you cannot hear all the awesome stuff all the people to the side are talking about!

teokrazia

Played some Metro 2033 Redux, then I go back to the original.
Alot of graphical aspects seem improved, some appear downgraded.

I've tried to make a video comparison:
http://youtu.be/9pxDaWzVMLI

Performance-wise, Redux runs MUCH better.
Metro 2033 is still a beast.

Gurish

When is it going up on PSN?

And do you recommend to play on Ranger mode for a first time player? Is this mode even possible if you didn't play the game before?

I've heard there are some QTE sequences that are invisible during this mode so it's impossible to play this for the first time.

Deadbeat

Banned

Why is it so bad to want a definitive version of the game? No compromises on any front.

Daemul

The only problem are the side conversations. I find the english voice acting poor, but the german VO is a bit better (though the children VO in the German is freaking scary bad) so I use that for my first play through... and then russian afterward. Otherwise you cannot hear all the awesome stuff all the people to the side are talking about!

Yeah, you're right, there's no subtitles for side conversations for some reason, no idea why they did that. So yeah, play with English VA on first play through to hear everything, then switch over to Russian with English subs on subsequent replays.

misho8723

Banned
When is it going up on PSN?

And do you recommend to play on Ranger mode for a first time player? Is this mode even possible if you didn't play the game before?

I've heard there are some QTE sequences that are invisible during this mode so it's impossible to play this for the first time.

You have two options when it comes to Ranger mode: in classic Ranger mode the HUD, UI are limited, so i quess when it comes to QTE, you still see the button prompts, but in Ranger Hardcore you have everything disabled..

Gurish

You have two options when it comes to Ranger mode: in classic Ranger mode the HUD, UI are limited, so i quess when it comes to QTE, you still see the button prompts, but in Ranger Hardcore you have everything disabled..

OK so i should go with classic Ranger mode+ Survivalist on a normal difficulty for my play through?
Thanks.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
I feel like people WANT the redux to be better. But not sure why. I've dislike several of the changes I've seen so far in comparisons. They removed too much of the original's art style and atmosphere.

Original: Wow...

Redux: No reaction at all.

No

uh yes lighting like that is no where near realistic, the heavens aren't opening up from the outside into the metro, the new lighting looks way more realistic.

seph1roth

I like volumetric light BUT i think in some points of 2033 it's very overdone,,,

At the beginning of the game feels like a giant background Spielberg flashlight, which is awesome but when you go outside feels like that light comes from a f****ng spotlight illuminating that place specifically.

And BTW, Redux has the Metro LL graphic engine, it seems like the same game from videos and pics so obviously 2033 redux is better in technical terms, but i agree with some people. that volumetric light is impressive, why not both? Metro LL engine + volumetric light (on both games)...seems like a bit disappointing.

I prefer Redux from original 2033 but i miss that kind of light.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm not sure if this has been covered yet but have they redone the subtitles to include the incidental dialogue from other random folks in the game world ? I really wanted to play them in Russian but I hated the fact that not everything was subtitled.

TJP

Not sure if the review roundup from VG247 has been posted:

http://www.vg247.com/2014/08/20/metro-redux-review-scores-pc-ps4-xbox-one/

IGN – 8.6
Gamespot – 8
OXM – 9
GamesRadar – 4.5/5
CVG – 8
Gaming Nexus – 9.5
PC Gamer had their scores out yesterday too:

Metro 2033 Redux review - 90/100 "A valuable remake that makes the original Metro feel complete on PC" Full review: http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/review/metro-2033-redux-review/

Metro: Last Light Redux - 80/100 "Still as atmospheric and impressively grim as it was last year, but inessential if you have the original." Full review: http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/review/metro-last-light-redux-review/

How are people playing the PC version? I pre-purchased both games and they don't unlock for another 5 days.

Review copies I'm assuming

uh yes lighting like that is no where near realistic, the heavens aren't opening up from the outside into the metro, the new lighting looks way more realistic.

The angle of the image causes it to look more extreme that it real is.

And yes, I find it much more realistic to have volumetricc lighting than none at all. Considering how toned down it is in comparison to other games which have nearly white-opaque light volumes (KZSF for example).

At a similar angle the one just looks plain better:
http://a.pomf.se/pyfzvy.webm

http://a.pomf.se/jymflo.webm

And given the fact that Hunter is always associated with dream like sequences throughout the series (always shows up in dreams full of volumetric lighting) it fits his themeing quite well.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The angle of the image causes it to look more extreme that it real is.

And yes, I find it much more realistic to have volumetricc lighting than none at all. Considering how toned down it is in comparison to other games which have nearly white-opaque light volumes (KZSF for example).

At a similar angle the one just looks plain better:
http://a.pomf.se/pyfzvy.webm

http://a.pomf.se/jymflo.webm

And given the fact that Hunter is always associated with dream like sequences throughout the series (always shows up in dreams full of volumetric lighting) it fits his themeing quite well.
I think somewhere midway between the original and Redux would be the sweet spot from an art standpoint. Colors and modeling look good in Redux but atmosphere is a bit lost without the volumetrics however it seems overdone to me in 2033 as well.

On the topic of KZSF and volumetric lighting, it looks awesome in the co-op expansion with all the dust and the different times of day used in those areas.

I think somewhere midway between the original and Redux would be the sweet spot from an art standpoint. Colors and modeling look good in Redux but atmosphere is a bit lost without the volumetrics however it seems overdone to me in 2033 as well.

On the topic of KZSF and volumetric lighting, it looks awesome in the co-op expansion with all the dust and the different times of day used in those areas.

Funny thing, the Volumetric lgihting in Metroo is sooo much more subtle compared to the near opaque beams of KZSF:
2390118-killzone_988544b.jpg

Yet for some reason... Metros look unrealistc? I dont get it. Better yet, I dont get how it looks overdone in Metro 2033, especially in comparison to other games.

volumetric_light_-_masxjw6.png

mental-ray-illumination.jpg

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Funny thing, the Volumetric lgihting in Metroo is sooo much more subtle compared to the near opaque beams of KZSF:

Yet for some reason... Metros look unrealistc? I dont get it.
I think it's just the sheer intensity of the lights in Metro combined with the setting. You kind of expect stong beams of light in a sci-fi setting from a robot acting as a flashlight more than in a post apocalypse.

I think it's just the sheer intensity of the lights in Metro combined with the setting. You kind of expect stong beams of light in a sci-fi setting from a robot acting as a flashlight more than in a post apocalypse.

But in comparison to most, Metros lights are completely tame and subtle!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
But in comparison to most, Metros lights are completely tame and subtle!
The two usually posted are really bright. I was only referring to those two areas. I haven't seen it enough other places to say for sure. Like I said before, I think it's more due to the unexpectedness of seeing lights like that in this particular setting.

The two usually posted are really bright. I was only referring to those two areas. I haven't seen it enough other places to say for sure. Like I said before, I think it's more due to the unexpectedness of seeing lights like that in this particular setting.
They look like the below (btw, all the below are removed in Redux):

Extremely subtle... I mean... look at how transparent the ones in metro are in comparison...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
They look like the below (btw, all the below are removed in Redux):

Extremely subtle... I mean... look at how transparent the ones in metro are in comparison...
Those shots look amazing and far more subtle than the usual example I've seen. I know I won't get that lighting but dammit I want to play these games so bad. I'm super excited.

Yet for some reason... Metros look unrealistc? I dont get it. Better yet, I dont get how it looks overdone in Metro 2033, especially in comparison to other games.

volumetric_light_-_masxjw6.png

mental-ray-illumination.jpg

hmm never knew what volumetric lighting was prior to your posts

i was amazed by them in shadow fall.

Those shots look amazing and far more subtle than the usual example I've seen. I know I won't get that lighting but dammit I want to play these games so bad. I'm super excited.

I think the overblown examples from metro is as a result of webms which are reducing color space to be honest. They brighten the images quite a bit.

And yes, I seriously hope you enjoy metro 2033. Make the right "moral" decisions in the game. :p

TK Turk

Banned
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but Best Buy is offering a $10 gift card with the purchase of this game (X1 or PS4). So it's $49.99 with 20% off for GCU making it $39.99 with a 10 dollar gift card making it $30. Can't beat that price!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think the overblown examples from metro is as a result of webms which are reducing color space to be honest. They brighten the images quite a bit.

And yes, I seriously hope you enjoy metro 2033. Make the right "moral" decisions in the game. :p
That WebM theory makes a lot of sense.

I'm sure I'll enjoy this games. Like I said before, I even enjoyed what I played of LL on PS3 in all of it's 640p, unstable framerate, crashing/freezing, and constantly stuttering audio. These really seem like my type of FPS.

Deitus

So I've never played either of the Metro games, but I do own 2033 on PC and intend to take advantage of the 50% off preorder for 2033 Redux. Originally I was planning on holding off on Last Light until reviews and impressions came out.

However, Last Light Complete is on sale on Steam right now for $5. I'm torn between three choices (keeping in mind that I'll play through 2033 first and I probably won't play them back to back, so having the game right away is not necessarily a priority):

A) Buy Last Light Complete now, and not even bother with the Redux version (total cost $5)
B) Buy Last Light Complete now, and preorder Redux as well (total cost $17.50)
C) Wait for a sale on Last Light Redux (total cost unknown, but it will possibly go down to $12.50 during the Winter Steam Sale).

I know the graphical improvements in Last Light are fairly minor, and it including the DLC is not a significant bonus when Last Light Complete is $5 and has all of that. But are there any gameplay improvements to Last Light Redux? I remember a lot of complaints about the implementation of Ranger Mode being poor in the original version of Last Light, and it seems one of the stated features of the Redux version is added or improved game modes (or was that only for 2033?). Would these changes be worth the additional cost to someone who has never played the game, or should I just stick with the original version?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So I've never played either of the Metro games, but I do own 2033 on PC and intend to take advantage of the 50% off preorder for 2033 Redux. Originally I was planning on holding off on Last Light until reviews and impressions came out.

However, Last Light Complete is on sale on Steam right now for $5. I'm torn between three choices (keeping in mind that I'll play through 2033 first and I probably won't play them back to back, so having the game right away is not necessarily a priority):

A) Buy Last Light Complete now, and not even bother with the Redux version (total cost $5)
B) Buy Last Light Complete now, and preorder Redux as well (total cost $17.50)
C) Wait for a sale on Last Light Redux (total cost unknown, but it will possibly go down to $12.50 during the Winter Steam Sale).

I know the graphical improvements in Last Light are fairly minor, and it including the DLC is not a significant bonus when Last Light Complete is $5 and has all of that. But are there any gameplay improvements to Last Light Redux? I remember a lot of complaints about the implementation of Ranger Mode being poor in the original version of Last Light, and it seems one of the stated features of the Redux version is added or improved game modes (or was that only for 2033?). Would these changes be worth the additional cost to someone who has never played the game, or should I just stick with the original version?
Biggest gameplay differences with LL is that it now has seamless transitions between areas where there were load screens and you can choose the Survival playstyle to make it play more like 2033.

Deitus

Biggest gameplay differences with LL is that it now has seamless transitions between areas where there were load screens and you can choose the Survival playstyle to make it play more like 2033.

See that part is what interests me. Again, I never played either game, but from what I understand Last Light is more action focused and loses some of the survival aspects from 2033. The survival focused style sounds a lot more interesting to me.

So I'd be curious to hear how the game balance feels playing in survival mode.

teokrazia

It seems to be the fog is only thing they cut back on.

Fog, volumetric lights and motion blur, for what I've noticed so far.
Here a clear example about the first two:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pxDaWzVMLI&feature=youtu.be&t=2m52s

This is a screen that I took during my first playthrough of the original 2033, back in 2010 [I was still owning a 16:10 monitor :p]:
m6aidID.jpg

I was amazed by the richness and precision of that motion blur.
It was even better than Crysis's one.

Same scene, in Redux:
NRjnAm4.jpg

Meh. :/

How are people playing the PC version? I pre-purchased both games and they don't unlock for another 5 days.

Review copies I'm assuming

Yup, I have a copy with Review Beta Access. :)

Fog, volumetric lights and motion blur, for what I've noticed so far.
Here a clear example about the first two:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pxDaWzVMLI&feature=youtu.be&t=2m52s

This is a screen that I took during my first playthrough of the original 2033, back in 2010 [I was still owning a 16:10 monitor :p]:

Meh. :/

Yup, I have a copy with Review Beta Access. :)

Actually, the precision of the motionblur is much improved in the Last Light /Redux engine. The reason why that NPC is probably more blurred in the frame you posted... is because your framerate was lower back then... hence making the time scaling for the motionblur higher.

Furthermore, if you compare motionblur accuracy and arifacting you can see quite a difference.
For example, here is the motionblur from last light: Smooth, no haloing

And a very similar scene from 2033:
You see a large transition/translation error, some breaks and pauses in it, halos around the moving geometry, etc...

Also, I am mighty jealous of your Review veta access :p

Top Bottom