• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

ASIS

abstract alien said:
Fusion had its negative points (only when pertaining to it being a metroid title), but the experience is honestly something that I would definitely recommend. It conveys fear very well...
I'm actually looking forward to playing it. HOWEVER, I have one question. Does it have a satisfying ending? Because honestly that's my biggest gripe with other m and I keep hearing these two games are very similar.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Instro said:
Its kind of weird that this was never mentioned in the game, I mean it seems like so many people have no idea that you can dodge while in fps mode or they cant figure out how to do it.

While finishing the game on Hard today, I noticed for the very first time that the rim of your visor will turn yellow to indicate when you can swap out of first person and into a sensemove dodge. I had always just kind of fudged the timing, but there is a distinct visual cue. Sure woulda been nice to have the game TELL me that, instead of finding it out near the end of my second playthrough!

(And for the record, it's not "shake to dodge," unless I hugely missed something. It's just "return to NES-position to dodge.")

Xellos

Finished hard mode yesterday after several dozen game overs. It gave me a new level of appreciation for the controls and boss design in Other M. Most of the later bosses would kill Samus in one hit, so I had to develop strategies and learn patterns whereas in normal mode the extra energy tanks allowed me to just power through. The game never felt cheap, despite all the times I lost at some of those battles. When I lost it was almost always my fault.
I just wish that beating hard mode would have unlocked something, or would have at least included the Phantoon fight and escape sequence. Still, it was fun!

Boney

Banned
Tathanen said:
While finishing the game on Hard today, I noticed for the very first time that the rim of your visor will turn yellow to indicate when you can swap out of first person and into a sensemove dodge. I had always just kind of fudged the timing, but there is a distinct visual cue. Sure woulda been nice to have the game TELL me that, instead of finding it out near the end of my second playthrough!

(And for the record, it's not "shake to dodge," unless I hugely missed something. It's just "return to NES-position to dodge.")
You just need to move the pointer out of the screen. It works as you can dodge and still be in 1st person after that.

Tenbatsu said:
I took 16hrs :(
That's why you're a bad monster hunter and I'm a good monster hunter.

If it makes you feel better, I encountered the door glitch, so even though I copied my file from my bro that was going even slower than me I managed to shave 1:30 hours from that part.

Tenbatsu

Instro said:
Its kind of weird that this was never mentioned in the game, I mean it seems like so many people have no idea that you can dodge while in fps mode or they cant figure out how to do it.
Its in the manual lol.

Red

Instro said:
Two things I could never figure out how to reliably do were dodge in first person and jump from monster to monster while overblasting.
Tenbatsu said:
Its in the manual lol.
I literally never opened it.

Poyunch

Yeah no one really had to spoiler the powerups because every single one was in the manual. They didn't even hide some. :lol

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Boney said:
You just need to move the pointer out of the screen. It works as you can dodge and still be in 1st person after that.

See I remember reading that, but I swear when I tried it it totally didn't work. I probably just had the timing wrong, again, would've been nice to know about the yellow glow!

About halfway through the game now, taking my sweet time. The game, though certainly not without its frustrating quirks, has been really impressive thus far.

Things I have no issue with:

Switching to first-person: for me this action is almost completely seamless and natural. Though there is an initial adjustment period, to me it feels dynamic and compliments the smooth gameplay rather than inhibiting it. It's a great way to attack enemies far away as well as looking for secrets that you might otherwise fail to notice.

The more linear Fusion-esque gameplay: Though I adore the approach of something like Super, Other M maintains a fast pace and never really lets up. There's still doors and visible items you can't access because you don't have the right powerups, so the core Metroid formula is still there, it's just that room progression is more streamlined than other 2D Metroids (except arguably Fusion).

Greater focus on story. I've never really placed a huge emphasis on the isolation element of Metroid, and even if I did Other M wouldn't bother me because it still has its creepy and unsettling moments, and most of the time you're seperated from everyone else anyway.

The only real issue I have is the Where's Waldo moments. Really not sure what they were thinking here. It wouldn't be so bad if the thing you're supposed to spot was obvious, but most of the time it's such a small detail that it's easy to overlook it and be looking around for ten minutes. It doesn't help that your visor won't indicate anything unless the cursor has been on it for about a second, so even if you move the cursor around every part of the screen, you likely still won't find anything. The one
where you find Lyle dead
was an absolute shocker and I just shook my head. You'd think you were supposed to point at him, but nope, you're supposed to point at green goo 10m behind you.

Oh, and though Adam authorizing your arsenal doesn't bother me too much, the part where
you have to run through Sector 3 without upgrading to the Varia Suit until Adam does so just blows my mind. I can totally understand missiles and power bombs and super missiles, but what on earth is a Varia Suit going to do to endanger the crew or the bottle ship? Ugh.

Anyway, some small observations:

- Really like the side-plot with the
small furry creature. It's an interesting development and I'm starting to sense who it will actually turn out to be, since it's last form was very similar to a certain Metroid villain.
- The
Exam Control area was an interesting place, had a pretty creepy vibe to it. I'm so-so on the over-the-shoulder perspective in these parts but it does lend itself to a more cinematic vibe. It didn't seem like much happened here though, and then it explodes.
-
Lyle's death was pretty uneventful. Wasn't much reaction to it at all. Odd.
-
Fire Boss, the huge dragon thing in the crater, was pretty fantastic. The part where you freeze it's arm and run up it was really exhilarating and probably the best part of the game so far.
- The combat in general is just really great. A tad repetitive at times but most enemies require different methods so that helps keep things fresh. Best combat in the series, no doubt.
-
Space Pirates are back to their proper look and I couldn't be happier. I do miss their personality from the Prime series, but they nailed the look and movement here.
- In fact, the enemy design is pretty fantastic overall. A lot of old creatures return and nearly all of them are very faithful and well-realised.

It just feels so much like a 2D Metroid game, but offers a new dynamic element through the first-person and 3D stuff. It feels like a 3D Metroid should. I certainly miss the brilliant level design of Super and the awe-inspiring puzzles of Echoes, but the pacing here is top-notch and it's great to have the old Samus back with her speed and agility. Unless something changes in the second half of the game, it's not going to top Super, ZM or Echoes but it is sitting neatly with Fusion right now, and I love Fusion. As much as I adore the Prime series, I think Other M is the first true realisation of Metroid in 3D. The Prime series nailed the environmental design and puzzles, and Other M fails to match those efforts, but boy did she gain back her speed. And that's a huge part of how Metroid should play.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
It looks like I was wrong about
The Queen Metroid
A lot of people were wrong a little bit as well though. Here is some clarification if anyone is interested. Oh, and thanks GAF, you're turning me into one of those nasty apologists :p

MB did create the queen. It happened while they were trying to make the unfreezable Metroids. She must have kept it from everyone else and arranged that it be kept as a controlled specimen. She needed to do this because she can't control the Metroids telepathically like she does the Space Pirates. The Metroid Queen would obey her though because of a maternal bond. Keeping her close by would strengthen that bond.

The Queen was immune to ice attacks which is why she had to be taken out by a power bomb. This would also explain why Adam would have to explode Sector Zero to kill whatever mature Metroids were on it as well. It also means that the Metroids the Queen spawned would grow to be immune to freezing. I'll get back to this.

I think it's safe to say that Madeline Bergman knew about the Queen because she unlocked the door that led to the fight between it and Samus. Whether or not the Metroid Adam killed in front of Samus was from the Queen or Sector Zero is unknown. I now think Adam might have known about other Metroids outside of Sector Zero though. It's possible Madeline Bergman could have told him or that he discovered it by other means. If this is the case, obviously he kept it a secret. To support this claim, he knew Samus was being followed by a Metroid. He also knew some were vulnerable to ice and that other more mature ones had to be exploded. This was a foreshadowing to tell you how to beat them later on in the game. He tells Samus that she can't defeat it unless this happened.

This also explains why she couldn't go to Sector Zero. There wasn't enough time for her to go to both with the Bottle Ship about to enter GF orbit. Apparently Adam took out what he could while the rest would have to be taken out by Samus. So Adam was vindicated in my eyes if this is the case. It's a shame they couldn't have made this a little clearer and tied up all the loose ends.

ASIS

PounchEnvy said:
Yeah no one really had to spoiler the powerups because every single one was in the manual. They didn't even hide some. :lol
Some (most) people don't read manuals though

Poyunch

Nintendo-4Life said:
Some (most) people don't read manuals though
I know. Heck I didn't even read until a few days ago when I was bored. I'm just saying the information's out there. Nothing's necessarily "spoiled" because the info's already there.

Mak

MadOdorMachine said:
The Queen was immune to ice attacks which is why she had to be taken out by a power bomb. This would also explain why Adam would have to explode Sector Zero to kill whatever mature Metroids were on it as well. It also means that the Metroids the Queen spawned would grow to be immune to freezing. I'll get back to this.

To be fair
you don't use the Ice Beam to kill the Metroid Queen in Metroid II: Return of Samus either, but missiles at her mouth and power bombs in her stomach.

I imagine Samus would have died like she almost did against Mother Brain if she had run head long into sector Zero. She was better off living to face Ridley like Adam said.

One of the coolest parts of the game for me was shinesparking
into Nightmare for the final hit during his first form.

suaveric

Why is no one mentioning the Gravity Suit upgrade? It makes even less sense then the Varia one.
By that point in the game, Adam is MIA and Samus allows herself to have the screw attack without permission. Then a few minutes later, when you end up in a section that has all kinds of screwed up gravity, she refuses to unlock the Gravity Suit. No one is around to tell her no. WTF?

ASIS

suaveric said:
Why is no one mentioning the Gravity Suit upgrade? It makes even less sense then the Varia one.
By that point int he game, Adam is MIA and Samus allows herself to have the screw attack without permission. Then a few minutes later, when you end up in a section that has all kinds of screwed up gravity, she refuses to unlock the Gravity Suit. No one is around to tell her no. WTF?
Because the Varia suit was the first WTF?! Moment. All the other equipment authorization makes sense but the armor ones.. Ehh..

braves01

Banned
suaveric said:
By that point in the game, Adam is MIA and Samus allows herself to have the screw attack without permission. Then a few minutes later, when you end up in a section that has all kinds of screwed up gravity, she refuses to unlock the Gravity Suit. No one is around to tell her no. WTF?

I thought Samus actually *acquired* the gravity suit after killing that boss with the green face.

Rich!

Playing through it again, I'm still not too bothered about missile upgrades. I'm finding them as much as I can, but I made through my first run with 15 missiles or so. And that was it.

The concentratio/auto refill kind of renders the upgrades as pointless.

Poyunch

braves01 said:
I thought Samus actually *acquired* the gravity suit after killing that boss with the green face.
You'd think so and it's definitely the most obvious time for it to appear but no.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
richisawesome said:
Playing through it again, I'm still not too bothered about missile upgrades. I'm finding them as much as I can, but I made through my first run with 15 missiles or so. And that was it.

The concentratio/auto refill kind of renders the upgrades as pointless.

Draining energy to refill missiles would be an interesting and strategic mechanic for the sequel.

robor

Boney said:
Really? Thought it was painfully obvious.

Really now? Well I think it's pretty retarded seeing that I was in that particular room previously where I checked the grapple beam node and assumed that UNTIL Adam authorizes it, I will not need to scan another node again. Hell I saw one WAY earlier in the game, I've scanned it, noticed I do not have the ability and thus assumed Adam will let me know when I can. The game expected me to re-scan objects that the game told me I could not use previously. It's very un-Metroid and I disliked it immensely.

Alright, finished the game. Here's my informal review.

One thing that needs to be established immediately. Metroid: Other M follows Metroidian game design tradition 2. That is, it follows the core designs first seen in Metroid II. You go into an area with minimal freedom, you explore it, followed by completing a specific task and thus clear the area and move on. It is "level-based".

So I'll get right down to it, Metroid: Other M has the most polarizing (are we bored of this word yet?) design choices I've ever seen in a game. The entire game is riddled with design patches to alleviate what seems to be the top tier of the hierarchical chain of core designs: the interface.

The interface consists of 4 buttons, a d-pad and an IR sensor. While this interface might seem great in theory, it has inevitably revealed many pathological components in practice. So with this interface, Project M devised 3 modes of play in Other M: third-person mode, first-person mode and expository mode. The first two are active modes, where the player can activate at will, while the third is passive and occurs only through specific sequences through out the game.

With tps mode the game uses all the tactile buttons and is the most recognizable mode in relation to previous Metroid games; it has all the Metroid elements of yore along with some additional action sequences that give it a Team Ninja flair. For the most part everything is intuitive and responsive but there are some glaring obstacles in relation to the enemies. You have a sense move where the player can tap any direction on the pad and Samus will dodge and enemy attack. The problem here is that the game never fully illustrates WHEN it is appropriate to tap. The enemies attack sequences vary greatly through out the game and it always seems like guess work for the most part from the player in order to successfully pull of the sense move. If there was some sort of virtual interface implementation to signal when to tap, it would be much less confusing for the casual player to understand (this is the new audience they're after right?).

The over blast feature is a nice touch where you charge your beam and jump on top of an enemy to deliver a power full attack sending the enemy flying backward. This feature is very satisfying once you pull it off and works well for the most part. Then there's the final blow, this is where the enemy is stunned temporarily so the player may charge and execute a nice animation finishing of the enemy.

The FPS mode is used to explore the environment, look for hidden items displayed on the map and exclusively uses the missile feature in the game. During lull periods of the game, using this mode to explore is a very welcomed mechanic in the Metroid franchise, it breaks up the frantic pacing from tps when exploring unknown territory. There are also parts in the narrative arc where you use the mechanic to immerse the player in the story itself and for the most part works fairly well.

Unfortunately, fps mode is quite tedious against enemies as it obscures field of vision for a more devastating attack in the heat of battle. The transition while smooth creates a more frantic and disjointed play style which can grate on the experience greatly. There is a slow-down once you execute the transition which helps the player to gain focus on the enemy etc. The problem though isn't the transition on screen but rather the transition in hand where the player must PHYSICALLY adjust him/herself in order to execute the mechanic properly. For the most part, fps mode in battles gave me a sense of dread which I avoided as much as possible.

Expository mode is by far the most useless of them all and I often wonder what exactly were the developers intentions when implementing it. For the most part this mode is activated when you're in a narrative sequence. It is mostly used to create tension but never quite reaches that effect. That is mostly because there is quite a lot of tension in tps mode alone so this mode itself seems completely redundant. Especially when all inputs of interactivity are shut of except for the d-pad. Absolutely useless.

The level designs, yea....wow. What can I say here, I guess there are times when certain areas really shine and are quite interesting but for the most part, the layout of most corridors, areas are largely mimicking each other. On top of that, there are areas were there is "dead" space and are only there for visuals....it seems. It's weird because there are open areas where there are subareas branching off from it that have no relevance what so ever.

Another problem (a design patch) is where certain platforms have invisible walls that restrict the player from dropping off onto other platforms below. Instead, you have to jump off the current platform in order to reach the bottom platform itself. Other times there won't be invisible walls at all and you CAN just drop off. There is a logic to this, the invisible walls exist because of the sense move for when an enemy attacks you on that platform, you want fall off executing it. That's fine and all, but there are enemies in other areas where there are no invisible walls and you CAN use the sense move and you WILL fall off. Retarded.

The story......yea I think I'll leave that one out. We've talked about it enough I think. There are elements of the narrative that are tied with the pacing of the game which works well for the most part.

The music is great. A lot of interesting arrangements with a lot of ambient segues through out most areas and corridors which breaks up the tension-and-release moments of the game. The music mostly picks up when a lot of activity is happening on screen. It is quite effective and works quite well in this game.

Conclusion: This game as a whole, is a mess. It's polished and thoroughly thought out, but it's still a mess. It all comes down to one thing, the interface. It's funny, I remember Sakamoto talking about an on-rails Metroid (with fps mode) before Team Ninja came along and upon retrospect, perhaps that would of been the wiser choice to go with for this game. It seems obvious that Sakamoto wanted this control scheme from the beginning, even before Team Ninja's involvement but the problem here, is that once they decided to go off-rails, they omit a lot of conventional rules that apply to digital movement. It is NOT a good design choice to have: ideas > hardware. The latest episode of Bonus Round featured Warren Spector and Jeff asked him if the Wii's interface had any influence on Epic Mickey and his reply was something alone the lines of "I don't think hardware should ever drive design" and I personally feel that Other M is a great example of WHY you should never do that. At the end of the day, this game won't attract new players, they WON'T find it easy, and there are plenty of problematic features in the game that will obscure their intentions to play the game. Even core gamers for that matter, and that's saying something.

Score? 5/10.

Boney

Banned
robor said:
Really now? Well I think it's pretty retarded seeing that I was in that particular room previously where I checked the grapple beam node and assumed that UNTIL Adam authorizes it, I will not need to scan another node again. Hell I saw one WAY earlier in the game, I've scanned it, noticed I do not have the ability and thus assumed Adam will let me know when I can. The game expected me to re-scan objects that the game told me I could not use previously. It's very un-Metroid and I disliked it immensely.
Easy tiger. Don't get angry with me. It felt obvious to me because it was all about context. Missiles didn't work and there was lava on the floor. It was there begging for attention.

As for the review, I almost disagree entirely, but it's ok. I find it fascinating how this game can click entirely with some people, while sending others with a terrible taste in their mouth. Is this a first?

robor

Boney said:
Easy tiger. Don't get angry with me. It felt obvious to me because it was all about context. Missiles didn't work and there was lava on the floor. It was there begging for attention.

I wasn't getting angry at you sheesh. It is obvious, if the grapple beam was authorized, it wasn't. What the game expected me to do, was scan the grapple node (which I did earlier) and THEN trigger Adam's authorization. I find it quite silly and retarded.

Boney

Banned
robor said:
I wasn't getting angry at you sheesh. It is obvious, if the grapple beam was authorized, it wasn't. What the game expected me to do, was scan the grapple node (which I did earlier) and THEN trigger Adam's authorization. I find it quite silly and retarded.
I'm sensing negatives vibes. Chillax ;)

No big a deal.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Boney said:

As for the review, I almost disagree entirely, but it's ok. I find it fascinating how this game can click entirely with some people, while sending others with a terrible taste in their mouth. Is this a first?

It's not a first, plenty of games are divisive - but it doesn't often happen with "sacred cow" series because developers usually are way too afraid of fan backlash. Metroid is a sacred cow of core gamers. So the reaction to the divide is far more bitter and IMHO, grossly exaggerated, and in some cases, childishly petulant. In a couple of years, some people are going to feel like idiots for taking the rough edges this game has and treating them as if they were the worst game design in years, an offense to God in His Heaven.

The thing that makes me shake my head tho, and I'm not accusing everyone who has a negative reaction of this, is how Other M has demonstrated the fan's true unwillingness to try something new. Something honestly new. A game designer once said years ago, in a fit of honesty, that players lie to themselves. They tell themselves they want exciting new experiences. But they really don't. They want what they already played, but made to feel new. For some people out there, their burning frustration with Other M is predicated entirely on the fact that it isn't another Metroid game exactly like the others, underneath a coat of fresh graphics and remixed level maps. (I believe this is part of what was responsible for the increasing backlash against the Prime series. Prime 1 is almost universally praised because it's an exact copy of Super Metroid in 3D. Prime 2 added genuinely new ideas, and was disliked a little more. Prime 3 experimented greatly, and was hated by a fair number of people for being crappy and "wrong".)

robor

Is this directed at me? I've followed the Metroid franchise this far because it brought something new to the table every time. This time, I feel they were out of their element.

Gross exaggerations are also coming from those with full appraisal of the game as well.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
So, what are some other 5/10 games off the top your head? Call me curious.

I think I'd piss a few people off if I were to mention some.

For me personally the issue is usually less change in and of itself and more the quality of the change (and what is sacrificed as a result). If Metroid is going to dabble in a heavier storyline for example, I'd like to see that storyline operating at or above the same level of quality as all the design elements that it will preclude by the very nature of its existence. Speaking more generally, Other M goes out on a lot of limbs but the results are extremely mixed. Some of it works admirably and other parts are groan worthy. Many of the ideas were filled with raw potential but fell short in terms of execution. I do think it's laudable that they were willing to try new things, but it worries me when I read interviews where Sakamoto says things like Other M is his attempt to create the ultimate Metroid game for fans. In spite of some fantastic moments sprinkled throughout, you'd have to be a bit deluded to think the game even begins to approach that standard imo.

robor said:
I think I'd piss a few people off if I were to mention some.
What a strange time to become coy. You've already drawn a line in the sand as far as reviewing the game being discussed. Might as well go ahead and give us some context by rattling off a few other games you consider to be of a similar quality.

robor

GrotesqueBeauty said:
What a strange time to become coy. You've already drawn a line in the sand as far as reviewing the game being discussed. Might as well go ahead and give us some context by rattling off a few other games you consider to be of a similar quality.

You do have a point I guess. Well off the top of my head, FFXII.

Hrm, can't say I've played it. You've definitely got different standards than I do though. I consider something like SPRay for Wii a 5/10. I feel like a lot of people don't give enough credit for how many shades of crap there are on the bottom half of the scale, probably because very few bother playing anything that's truly worse than mediocre for any amount of time.

RagnarokX

MadOdorMachine said:
It looks like I was wrong about
The Queen Metroid
A lot of people were wrong a little bit as well though. Here is some clarification if anyone is interested. Oh, and thanks GAF, you're turning me into one of those nasty apologists :p

MB did create the queen. It happened while they were trying to make the unfreezable Metroids. She must have kept it from everyone else and arranged that it be kept as a controlled specimen. She needed to do this because she can't control the Metroids telepathically like she does the Space Pirates. The Metroid Queen would obey her though because of a maternal bond. Keeping her close by would strengthen that bond.

I think it's safe to say that Madeline Bergman knew about the Queen because she unlocked the door that led to the fight between it and Samus. Whether or not the Metroid Adam killed in front of Samus was from the Queen or Sector Zero is unknown. I now think Adam might have known about other Metroids outside of Sector Zero though. It's possible Madeline Bergman could have told him or that he discovered it by other means. If this is the case, obviously he kept it a secret. To support this claim, he knew Samus was being followed by a Metroid. He also knew some were vulnerable to ice and that other more mature ones had to be exploded. This was a foreshadowing to tell you how to beat them later on in the game. He tells Samus that she can't defeat it unless this happened.

This also explains why she couldn't go to Sector Zero. There wasn't enough time for her to go to both with the Bottle Ship about to enter GF orbit. Apparently Adam took out what he could while the rest would have to be taken out by Samus. So Adam was vindicated in my eyes if this is the case. It's a shame they couldn't have made this a little clearer and tied up all the loose ends.
Not controlled, control: link . They kept it as a control condition for experiments with other groups of metroids. But then it turned into a queen.

Future

robor said:
Hell I saw one WAY earlier in the game, I've scanned it, noticed I do not have the ability and thus assumed Adam will let me know when I can. The game expected me to re-scan objects that the game told me I could not use previously. It's very un-Metroid and I disliked it immensely.

You have a sense move where the player can tap any direction on the pad and Samus will dodge and enemy attack. The problem here is that the game never fully illustrates WHEN it is appropriate to tap. The enemies attack sequences vary greatly through out the game and it always seems like guess work for the most part from the player in order to successfully pull of the sense move.

Unfortunately, fps mode is quite tedious against enemies as it obscures field of vision for a more devastating attack in the heat of battle.

Expository mode is by far the most useless of them all and I often wonder what exactly were the developers intentions when implementing it. For the most part this mode is activated when you're in a narrative sequence. It is mostly used to create tension but never quite reaches that effect. That is mostly because there is quite a lot of tension in tps mode alone so this mode itself seems completely redundant. Especially when all inputs of interactivity are shut of except for the d-pad. Absolutely useless.

The level designs, yea....wow. What can I say here, I guess there are times when certain areas really shine and are quite interesting but for the most part, the layout of most corridors, areas are largely mimicking each other. On top of that, there are areas were there is "dead" space and are only there for visuals....it seems. It's weird because there are open areas where there are subareas branching off from it that have no relevance what so ever.

Conclusion: This game as a whole, is a mess.

Score? 5/10.

Score is harsh but I agree completely with this assessment. I shared all these frustrations, along with a few others.

Pacing of upgrades seemed weak. I felt like I played a large part of the game before acquiring much of anything that changed my gameplay loop. Combat got repetitive fairly quickly, and while new boss like encounters offered some variety, they didnt offer enough. Especially since they often forced 1st person view missles which wasnt terrible, but not that enjoyable really.

Where's Waldo forced FPS moments were crap. I found myself scanning forever trying to locate the one damn little spec they want me to find before I can progress, with no clue to draw my attention. I also found that often I had thought I scanned my cursor over the correct area, only to find that I wasnt precise enough and had to scan it again to get the cut scene to trigger.

Authorization was a crappy wrapper for things. But it also affected gameplay. One time I remember searching a room for ages trying to find a hidden ball hole that usually exists when you reach a dead in. Later I saw that I had to actually exit the damn room the way I came in to get my ability "authorized", so I can reenter it and get through the dead end.

Story has been discussed, but this had some of the most boring cut scenes and dialogue I've seen in a game with this high production value. Distracting to the point of hurting the overall experience. Especially during the first half of the game.

I wouldnt say the game is terrible. But I'm not sure its anything I'd replay or recommend to many people. It's just above average to me

Arren

Just got this game for my birthday and I'm really appreciating it so far.

I don't really grasp the objections raised in regards to how the narration is handled, or the VA is presented. It seems absolutely fine and entertaining, even gripping at times, and certainly not excessive like some have argued. I'm having no qualms with the controls either and the FPS modes provide an interesting shift in the pacing of battles.

Hope it doesn't get duller, because up to the point I've played (I'm still in
Sector 1
) it flows very smoothly and sports a nice premise.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Finished last night. Disappointingly short game, if you ask me. The Prime games were definitely much longer and, more appropriately, so were the two recent Ninja Gaiden games.

The game had a flow similar to first XBOX Ninja Gaiden title, actually. I always felt that NG had a bit of a Metroid influenced design in that you have a large world with multiple areas that you can freely return to and often must return to in order to proceed. Ninja Gaiden took me a good 20 hours to finish the first time, however, so I feel it was reasonable to expect that from Metroid as well. Wrapping everything neatly around three elevators made the game world feel a bit small as well.

Still, I actually had a good time overall. It's definitely a good action game. It kind of gave me a Dreamcast/early PS2 vibe as well (at least in the way that they try and tell a story). Shame it feels so unpolished overall as that will hurt its appeal over time (much less polished than most other Nintendo and Team Ninja games, really).

In a couple of years, some people are going to feel like idiots for taking the rough edges this game has and treating them as if they were the worst game design in years, an offense to God in His Heaven.
I certainly don't feel that way, but I definitely feel that it won't hold up in the same way that previous games in the series did simply due to various flaws. It's akin to Sonic Adventure for the Dreamcast, I'd say, which has aged pretty badly. I don't think Other M is going to remain timeless in the way that Super Metroid or Metroid Prime have.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Where's Waldo moments are annoying, but I don't hate them. At this point the only actual flaw in the game design IMO is that occasionally there's no way to progress, so you're meant to backtrack and trigger a cutscene. (See: Wave Beam)

No. This game is linear, and 80% of the time when I reach a dead-end it means that I have to spend five minutes examining that room for some small morph-ball pipe or missile spot or something. Without any indication that I have to backtrack, I just sit there like an idiot for half an hour trying to shoot everything, not wanting to trek back through half the level again just in case there's a cutscene.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Arren said:
I don't really grasp the objections raised in regards to how the narration is handled, or the VA is presented. It seems absolutely fine and entertaining, even gripping at times, and certainly not excessive like some have argued.
The story keeps focusing on different things and could be a lot tighter/answer some questions more clearly. Samus should shut her goddamn mouth because her VA/dialogue is so irritating.

heringer

dark10x said:
Finished last night. Disappointingly short game, if you ask me. The Prime games were definitely much longer and, more appropriately, so were the two recent Ninja Gaiden games.

The game had a flow similar to first XBOX Ninja Gaiden title, actually. I always felt that NG had a bit of a Metroid influenced design in that you have a large world with multiple areas that you can freely return to and often must return to in order to proceed. Ninja Gaiden took me a good 20 hours to finish the first time, however, so I feel it was reasonable to expect that from Metroid as well. Wrapping everything neatly around three elevators made the game world feel a bit small as well.

Still, I actually had a good time overall. It's definitely a good action game. It kind of gave me a Dreamcast/early PS2 vibe as well (at least in the way that they try and tell a story). Shame it feels so unpolished overall as that will hurt its appeal over time (much less polished than most other Nintendo and Team Ninja games, really).

I certainly don't feel that way, but I definitely feel that it won't hold up in the same way that previous games in the series did simply due to various flaws. It's akin to Sonic Adventure for the Dreamcast, I'd say, which has aged pretty badly. I don't think Other M is going to remain timeless in the way that Super Metroid or Metroid Prime have.
How is the game unpolished? I mean, I can understand that some people don't like the decisions they made with it's design, but the game is very polished in my opinion. There's nothing in this game as jarring (from a technical standpoint) as Ninja Gaiden's camera and imprecise platforming sequences. Not to mention Ninja Gaiden 2, that game is anything but polished.

jarosh

oh man, i wish the embarrassing story, laughable characterization and the complete lack of subtlety actually were the game's main problems for me. all of that i can ignore, but the unexciting gameplay, awkward controls and limited interactivity i can't. i had very low expectations as it is... now that i've played it, many of the mechanics make even less sense to me than they did in theory. the first person switching is distracting and disorienting, the over the shoulder sections unnecessary, the automated shooting makes every fight boring; i'm really bothered by the fact that i can't target individual enemies without going into fps mode, especially when i want to focus on the bigger ones. and the d-pad controls don't feel right, this just isn't a 2.5d game. i'm fighting a horde of small enemies and all i can think about is: how much fun would it have been to target them with the remote and shoot them one by one? there is so little satisfaction in "aiming" in a general direction with the d-pad and mashing the shoot button. right now, i feel like i don't even wanna go back to the game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Kaijima said:
The thing that makes me shake my head tho, and I'm not accusing everyone who has a negative reaction of this, is how Other M has demonstrated the fan's true unwillingness to try something new. Something honestly new. A game designer once said years ago, in a fit of honesty, that players lie to themselves. They tell themselves they want exciting new experiences. But they really don't.
You're trying to form a rule or pattern of behaviour from fans of a series when there clearly isn't one. Fans want quality. Resident Evil 4 wasn't Resident Evil or REmake in most any respect. It was just a damn good game and a significant departure from the series norm.

It's odd that you'd mention this is regard to Metroid, given the almost universal praise of Metroid Prime and its own dramatic departure from the play-style of any of the Metroid games preceding it. We were sure ready for something a bit different then, and we sure are now.

Risk for risk's sake doesn't deserve a pat on the back. That's like giving a kid a ribbon for participating in the long jump. Yeah, he face-planted, but at least he gave it a shot, right? Fans want quality. If Metroid: Other M played like Super Mario Galaxy with missile upgrades, you can bet your ass we'd be along for that ride.

Your argument hinges on the idea that Other M would actually be a super-memorable, amazing game if it was called Super Space Bottle Ship: Not Related to Metroid, but under all the window-dressing it's just another forgettable B-tier action game.

Ridley327

heringer said:
How is the game unpolished? I mean, I can understand that some people don't like the decisions they made with it's design, but the game is very polished in my opinion. There's nothing in this game as jarring (from a technical standpoint) as Ninja Gaiden's camera and imprecise platforming sequences. Not to mention Ninja Gaiden 2, that game is anything but polished.
I think he's talking more about the technical hitches, like how it struggles to maintain 60 fps in a lot of situations and the irritating gameplay pauses when it's loading.

jarosh

Rez said:
You're trying to form a rule or pattern of behaviour from fans of a series when there clearly isn't one. Fans want quality. Resident Evil 4 wasn't Resident Evil or REmake in most any respect. It was just a damn good game and a significant departure from the series norm.

It's odd that you'd mention this is regard to Metroid, given the almost universal praise of Metroid Prime and its own dramatic departure from the play-style of any of the Metroid games preceding it. We were sure ready for something a bit different then, and we sure are now.

Risk for risk's sake doesn't deserve a pat on the back. That's like giving a kid a ribbon for participating in the long jump. Yeah, he face-planted, but at least he gave it a shot, right? Fans want quality. If Metroid: Other M played like Super Mario Galaxy with missile upgrades, you can bet your ass we'd be along for that ride.

Your argument hinges on the idea that Other M would actually be a super-memorable, amazing game if it was called Super Space Bottle Ship: Not Related to Metroid, but under all the window-dressing it's just another forgettable B-tier action game.
ah, such an excellent post. glad someone made it :p
so i didn't have to try and fail horribly :'(

Top Bottom