• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Nintendo-4Life said:
I beat the 100% run in 12 hours. So length is not my issue. The game just feels it was cut in the middle. The ending was so anticlimactic I was wondering if that was "really" it.
it. I wish we got to see Sector zero, I wish we confronted the deleter, I wish we fought MB, I wish we fought ridly a second time and put him to rest with our own hands, etc. I really didn't expect the game to end the way it did.
Sector Zero was a cock tease if I ever heard one. I was both excited and horrified at the thought of the place, especially since the game really started to pick up, but not being able to go there was the biggest let down ever. As far as the deleter goes, I seriously thought I missed something in the game after the credits rolled since it was just not handled well at all.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I think it's pretty obvious where they're going with the next game storywise.

Samus goes to investigate strange reports on another world. Finds evidence of unfreezable Metroids. Finds out Sector Zero didn't blow up and landed there. Finds Adam alive and maybe evil. Conflict/Angst. Finds new way to destroy the Metroids and blows the shit out of everything. Self-destruct sequence commences.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
You don't actually have to beat it to unlock Hard mode, just get 100% items. I had quit right before the very last boss with 100% items and the next time I started the game, it told me that I had unlocked hard mode.

Red

Valkyr Junkie said:
In the boss fight it looks like the boss is producing them itself on the fly. I guess its body just acts as a nest for already hatched ones?
Yeah, but I don't know the answer. I assumed that
only Queens could have Metroid babies, a la Aliens, but I also thought that those babies hatched from eggs. Who knows?

Boney

Banned
abstract alien said:
Sector Zero was a cock tease if I ever heard one. I was both excited and horrified at the thought of the place, especially since the game really started to pick up, but not being able to go there was the biggest let down ever. As far as the deleter goes, I seriously thought I missed something in the game after the credits rolled since it was just not handled well at all.
You guys argue that exposition dumps suck and when they go for minimalistic you get confused.

:mad:

Duran said:
That is correct sir.
I was wondering exactly how this game took place during that time frame, yet Samus' suit was still intact. Fusion took place damn near directly after super metroid right? I'm assuming so since her suit was infected and had to be stripped down(with the remaining pieces becoming SA-X i think...and her new cold allergy was due to the baby being somewhat infused with her once she was given the hyper beam. Where does other m fit into all of this? How did it take place after super, yet she still had full armor along with the ice beam?

Boney

Banned
abstract alien said:
I was wondering exactly how this game took place during that time frame, yet Samus' suit was still intact. Fusion took place damn near directly after super metroid right? I'm assuming so since her suit was infected and had to be stripped down(with the remaining pieces becoming SA-X i think...and her new cold allergy was due to the baby being somewhat infused with her once she was given the hyper beam. Where does other m fit into all of this? How did it take place after super, yet she still had full armor along with the ice beam?
There's no indication that Fusion took place inmediatly after Super. It could've been years for all we know.
Oh and she was injected with a metroid vaccine. That's why she has cold allergy, it's n her DNA.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
abstract alien said:

It's never specified how long after Super Fusion begins.

BorkBork said:
I think it's pretty obvious where they're going with the next game storywise.

Samus goes to investigate strange reports on another world. Finds evidence of unfreezable Metroids. Finds out Sector Zero didn't blow up and landed there. Finds Adam alive and maybe evil. Conflict/Angst. Finds new way to destroy the Metroids and blows the shit out of everything. Self-destruct sequence commences.
Nope, Adam's brain is found at some point by the GF because they were able to convert him into the computer that tells you what to do in Fusion. Some of the rest is certainly possible though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Boney said:
By the way, I though you were giving it a 9001/10

Bastards didn't agree on my scoring policy.

Ah, completely forgot about the vaccine, that's where my mind got jumbled at. Also didn't know Fusion's time frame wasn't specified. My memory is terrible when it comes to certain things :^/

A.CHAP said:
I still dont get this.
Its the most plausible explanation for starting out with no upgrades.
It has no effect on the gameplay.
I haven't played the game yet (and will probably be holding out for a while based on what people are saying), but I wanted to chime in here.

I've always thought that they could handle the "need to upgrade at the begining of every game" by giving Samus a set of reconfigurable suits that need to adapt to certain conditions on each planet, and then their existing/current powerups need to be reworked in order to interface with the new suits' configuration. They could then introduce "sidequests" (bounties that she needs to collect for the federation, or distress calls she needs to investigate, etc) and the "payment" for those missions would be new alien technology that the federation researchers can then use to enhance her suits' interface so that she can apply the new powerups (or the old powerups adapted to the new interface). Some of the alien technology would require new materials, time or even more alien technology in order to be reverse engineered by the federation, so it'll then lead to new sidequests that she can follow to get the actual power up.

Or they could say a dark Ing took it.

Boney said:
You guys argue that exposition dumps suck and when they go for minimalistic you get confused.

:mad:
The whole
baby Ridley
arc was probably the most minimalist part of the narrative (even though they layered other heavy handed elements of the larger story over it), and I think the most successful in keeping with classic Metroid sensibilities. The deleter stuff was more obtuse than minimalistic. Like, Samus didn't
feel the need to check the giant mech after battling it to see who was in there? She even talks to Adam immediately afterward, and it's basically "So, moving on..." It doesn't make a lick of sense. Also, if that sub-plot was always going to fall into the background in light of the MB stuff I'd say they put undue emphasis on it from the start. Sure, it's meant to be a red herring, but there's still a member of the Federation running around killing his comrades. That deserves some form of resolution.

Kard8p3

GrotesqueBeauty said:
The whole
baby Ridley
arc was probably the most minimalist part of the narrative (even though they layered other heavy handed elements of the larger story over it), and I think the most successful in keeping with classic Metroid sensibilities. The deleter stuff was more obtuse than minimalistic. Like, Samus didn't
feel the need to check the giant mech after battling it to see who was in there? She even talks to Adam immediately afterward, and it's basically "So, moving on..." It doesn't make a lick of sense. Also, if that sub-plot was always going to fall into the background in light of the MB stuff I'd say they put undue emphasis on it from the start. Sure, it's meant to be a red herring, but there's still a member of the Federation running around killing his comrades. That deserves some form of resolution.

Actually samus did check the giant mech and saw that he had already left.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Kard8p3 said:
Where did it say the queen was producing unfreezable metroids? The last video said the genes of the queen metroid were unaltered so there's no way it could produce unfreezable metroids.
It says they were propagating and at the same time genetically modifying them to be resistant to freezing. I took that to mean that all the Metroids were being genetically modified and that the Queen was the first successful clone that made it past the larval stage and matured. Because it was the first survivor, they kept it separate from the rest of them (who were still in Sector Zero) to monitor it. At this point, they did no more genetic manipulations to it. Ironically, it turned out to be a queen. Hence why Samus says only certain genetic traits make a queen. If the queen weren't making unfreezable Metroids, why would Adam have killed one outside of Sector Zero where they are supposed to be kept? The queen was kept outside of Sector Zero, so I assume it came from her.

Mak

MadOdorMachine said:
It says they were propagating and at the same time genetically modifying them to be resistant to freezing. I took that to mean that all the Metroids were being genetically modified and that the Queen was the first successful clone that made it past the larval stage and matured. Because it was the first survivor, they kept it separate from the rest of them (who were still in Sector Zero) to monitor it. At this point, they did no more genetic manipulations to it. Ironically, it turned out to be a queen. Hence why Samus says only certain genetic traits make a queen. If the queen weren't making unfreezable Metroids, why would Adam have killed one outside of Sector Zero where they are supposed to be kept? The queen was kept outside of Sector Zero, so I assume it came from her.

Samus explains
that they must have left the Queen unaltered as a control for their experiments. It's also explained that the Queen was likely the first Metroid that MB bonded with, and that MB had turned it into a Queen in preperation for her attack on the Galactic Federation. Samus also mentions that specific genetic traits were required to become a Queen, I thought in reference to it being cloned from the baby Metroid.

Threi

notag
oh yeah i forgot to mention that
i beat the ultimate final hidden secret boss in 1 try, much more i got hit like once or twice the entire fight.

whatdafuck. Ridley was manlier.

Mafro

Dragmire said:
I can't help but picture a lot of posters here smoking a pipe and wearing an ascot as they play Other M, saying stuff like, "
Ridley
on the Bottleship? Preposterous!" "Samus doesn't use her full powers? Balderdash!"
1266828954509.png

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
King Chozo said:
Nope, Adam's brain is found at some point by the GF because they were able to convert him into the computer that tells you what to do in Fusion. Some of the rest is certainly possible though.

They could have constructed a computer from a personality profile or something. They certainly don't need a dead body to do that.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Holy shit! at
the first Space Pirate fight
. Oh man that felt badass, I was pulling of like Matrix-kicks and shit. Grab and kick in the face then turn and blast at the guy behind me with slow-mo highlights.

EDIT: And
furry beast shell
was also damn creepy.

ASIS

King Chozo said:
I agree 100% except
the ridley part. They had to explain where the frozen ridley in Fusion came from so they had to keep his body intact.
Didnt play fusion, So I didnt know about that.

Poyunch

Yeah no one would said they literally made the AI directly from the host. Heck Adam didn't even know he died and he never mentioned the 07th Platoon (so they could have even constructed this before he died).

But I don't like the idea of Adam being evil. It just so out of character (even if him having a character is questionable). I do like the idea of the GF using the Adam AI in order to use Samus though. Make's them even more questionable and devilish.

The_Technomancer said:
Holy shit! at
. Oh man that felt badass, I was pulling of like Matrix-kicks and shit. Grab and kick in the face then turn and blast at the guy behind me with slow-mo highlights.
Wait how did you kick them?

Nintendo-4Life said:
Didnt play fusion, So I didnt know about that.
Fusion had its negative points (only when pertaining to it being a metroid title), but the experience is honestly something that I would definitely recommend. It conveys fear very well...

Poyunch

OG_Original Gamer said:
i must be in the minority when i say, i don't care sbout vodeo game stories.
No that's the reason why the Other M thread is soo huge. Because most of GAF didn't care much about the story but certain users seemed to be so mad that they weren't as enraged.

Haunted

The_Technomancer said:
Holy shit! at
Yeah, those were my favourite enemies throughout the game. For all the complaints Team Ninja and their action-y take on classic Metroid combat got, once you get into the zone and find the flow and rhythm of the encounters, it's a beautiful thing to watch and gives you a good feeling while playing. :D

jufonuk

not tag worthy
hey guys, i am stuck on a part of the game
you go through a tunnel and see these tree/horse things that are firing purple bombs out.. but I just keep going on a loop of the lift that was broken you have to jump up, and keep looping to the save point and around, it is in sector one, you got two ways to go either through a working door, or one you have to blast in and use the morph ball to go through.. any advice?

possibly worst metroid player ever, oh still loving the game though

Rich!

Playing through it again, and stuck at the same part...yet again. In the cargo bay where you fought the forklift, but after you get the beam upgrade. Goddamnit. :lol

I'm loving it though, great metroid game. But then again, I loved fusion.

edit - i remember now. going the wrong way, doh.

Boney

Banned
jufonuk said:
you go through a tunnel and see these tree/horse things that are firing purple bombs out.. but I just keep going on a loop of the lift that was broken you have to jump up, and keep looping to the save point and around, it is in sector one, you got two ways to go either through a working door, or one you have to blast in and use the morph ball to go through.. any advice?

If you head to the save station with the crack on the door. (The one that's above that cliff) the door that was closed is now open.

Bizzyb

Banned
jufonuk said:

Did you get
the Diffuse beam
yet? If so, You go through the door that you opened. Not the hole in the wall that you blasted.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Bizzyb said:
Did you get
the Diffuse beam
yet? If so, You go through the door that you opened. Not the hole in the wall that you blasted.
i got it yes, but i go through the boor that opens cant go further as need super missle then loop around awoo

Bizzyb

Banned
jufonuk said:
i got it yes, but i go through the boor that opens cant go further as need super missle then loop around awoo

Nope, you can go further. You just recently unlocked that door (in the save room), you don't need a super missile to progress. Look for a vent...

Top Bottom