• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Bizzyb said:
Nope, you can go further. You just recently unlocked that door (in the save room), you don't need a super missile to progress. Look for a vent...

the part i am stuck on is
i get to a save room one door is locked but you blast through it and can morph ball in.. the other way the door opens you go in have to go up a little tunnel blast a rock to go on. come up turn the console on and all you see is a high wall and a door up above which needs super missles to continue on, going via the door you blasted takes me round in a loop
i am probably missing something smack bang right in front of me, thanks for all help guys, I love this stle of game but can be rubbish at it at times

Just started this, played about half an hour of it and have been having sort of mixed feelings about it. I like the 'ninja' sort of things you can do, and the dodging, etc.

I wish Samus would just shut her mouth though :p god damn woman, stop talking!

heringer said:
Yikes.
Ridley
on hard is haaaaaaaaaaaaaaard. Finally beat him.

Boney said:
It's such a fun fight though <3

That's where I got before I returned it.

Just beat him right now on hard, so many tries but so much fun. Not like the fucking elevator miniboss, its easy, but it has to be the most pece of shit fight in the entire game, yeah, fight versus 7 new Space Pirates species, and I an assure you, at least 1 will take you some life, and then fight in a very small space that motherfucker... and yeah, do not lose, because you are going to start from scratch.

But Ridley, oh so fucking awesome. His must mother fucker attack is the tail floor one, it kills you with one hit and its fast as hell. Its like a Punch-Out!! fight.
thank god I new this time the supermissiles stopped him when he converts into super ridley, the first time I played during the normal game, I always waited him to stop, never remembered you had super missiles :lol

Boney

Banned
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Just beat him right now on hard, so many tries but so much fun. Not like the fucking elevator miniboss, its easy, but it has to be the most pece of shit fight in the entire game, yeah, fight versus 7 new Space Pirates species, and I an assure you, at least 1 will take you some life, and then fight in a very small space that motherfucker... and yeah, do not lose, because you are going to start from scratch.

But Ridley, oh so fucking awesome. His must mother fucker attack is the tail floor one, it kills you with one hit and its fast as hell. Its like a Punch-Out!! fight.
thank god I new this time the supermissiles stopped him when he converts into super ridley, the first time I played during the normal game, I always waited him to stop, never remembered you had super missiles :lol
Yeah the elevator guy was a pain in the ass. Not to mention if you're not careful a Space Pirate can off you in one hit.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Holy shit Shnespark! Sooooooo gooooood. I know that its linear and not so heavy on the isolation and stuff but I don't care, I'm having too much fun. Definitely like this game.

Ericescobar15

Neo Member
So which scene do we think caused Sakamoto to shed a tear. Remember, they say he shed a tear.

Tear of laughter for "confession time"? Sinister laughter at bait and switch?

Ericescobar15 said:
So which scene do we think caused Sakamoto to shed a tear. Remember, they say he shed a tear.

or adam going to sector zero, or samus getting adam's helmet

Ericescobar15 said:

Although I didn't cry, I felt terrible when the deleter shot the guy with the freeze pistol. The sound of it is just painful and I felt bad for him :^(

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Mak said:
Samus explains
that they must have left the Queen unaltered as a control for their experiments. It's also explained that the Queen was likely the first Metroid that MB bonded with, and that MB had turned it into a Queen in preperation for her attack on the Galactic Federation. Samus also mentions that specific genetic traits were required to become a Queen, I thought in reference to it being cloned from the baby Metroid.
How can they leave it unaltered and have MB turn it into a queen? What matters is that Adam killed an unfreezable Metroid outside of Sector Zero and then went on a suicide mission without even investigating why it was outside of Sector Zero or if there were any more of them. For all we know, there might not have been any Metroids left in Sector Zero. How did the GF find his brain when the section he was in was supposed to self destruct?

Poyunch

MadOdorMachine said:
How can they leave it unaltered and have MB turn it into a queen? What matters is that Adam killed an unfreezable Metroid outside of Sector Zero and then went on a suicide mission without even investigating why it was outside of Sector Zero or if there were any more of them. For all we know, there might not have been any Metroids left in Sector Zero. How did the GF find his brain when the section he was in was supposed to self destruct?
MB didn't turn it into a Queen Metroid it became a Queen Metroid. He knew all this crap because he wrote an entire report on the Bottle Ship detailing his concerns. The majority of and the labs that could create unfreezable Metroids were in Sector Zero. He had to destroy it especially since MB was making her move for the main planet of the GF.

And there is no direct information on how they create the AI. And like I said earlier for all we know they created the AI earlier because he did not know about his death with Samus nor did he ever mention the 07th Platoon in Fusion.

Also it's pretty fucked up to have the AI of Adam oversee the BSL considering he did not support Metroids as bioweapons.

Boney

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:
The Queen was just meant to be a queen. They could've easily taken the data from the queen's dead body to reproduce Metroids. Heck, even the Metroid vaccine from the original baby could've worked. As for Adam, I guess since all animals in the station turned violent, it was only a matter of time until the Metroids broke free, and he didn't want the federation to scoop in and capture them because they were extremely dangerous. And they didn't "find his brain". My guess is that they just collect data from the higher ranked guys.

In the end you're getting to hold up for minor details

MadOdorMachine said:

It's explained right in the game. They say they left that metroid unaltered to have a control subject. How ever MB turned it into a Queen. I would imagine that metroids like a lot of other animals that require a Queen to breed can change to produce one when there isn't one present. I mean shit there are frogs that can change their sex based on that. So it completely makes sense that when it becomes a queen it produced regular metroids, cause it's DNA, as far as the GF altering went, was untouched. They say in the game too that the Larval forms were still freezable. All of this was explained in the game, you can even replay the scenes once you beat the game. Maybe you should rewatch some of them.

I've seen others give you the exact same reply, I'm not sure why you aren't getting that, or what's not making sense to you.

PounchEnvy said:
Also it's pretty fucked up to have the AI of Adam oversee the BSL considering he did not support Metroids as bioweapons.

I don't think he was overseeing the BSL. I could have sworn the game said that the AI was just used as Samus' CO basically on this mission. I don't remember them saying it was overseeing the BSL, granted it new about the BSL and what was being done there.

I'd also say that since the GF has Metroid DNA, you're never going to see Metroids completely gone. I would imagine that have samples of it, and digital data on it stored in several locations.

XSayzl.jpg

The end was great, I was really getting into collecting and finding the items. Some of them were difficult to either find or figure out what to do, mostly because of the angles the game presents. It's pretty annoying to switch in and out of first person constantly, so I tried to reduce the amount of times I did that. Also, most of the items were "contained" within a single room, save for a few ones. What I mean is that the game indicates that there is an item in the room, and then I generally just looked around for a weird spot. The few ones that weren't contained within a room were a bit tricky to figure out, though not too hard of course.

Towards the end I started to realize that I could have done things a lot faster and more efficient, so I definitely think this game could have speed runs, though probably not in the traditional meaning. A lot of time can be reduced through efficient battling and planning a good route to pick up the items.

This game would have been a lot more enjoyable without the cut scenes and cinematics, though not all of that aspect of the game was bad. It became more and more fun to play as I gained power ups and learned the layout of the the BOTTLE SHIP (dumb name). I'll probably check out hard mode in another playthrough down the line.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Umm.... I am poking my head around and will ask one thing. Is it good and is it worth it? If I get three consecutive unanimous Yes I go out and buy it now. If I find a store open =P

Poyunch

Shin Johnpv said:
I don't think he was overseeing the BSL. I could have sworn the game said that the AI was just used as Samus' CO basically on this mission. I don't remember them saying it was overseeing the BSL, granted it new about the BSL and what was being done there.

I'd also say that since the GF has Metroid DNA, you're never going to see Metroids completely gone. I would imagine that have samples of it, and digital data on it stored in several locations.
Oh yeah you're right.

Boney

Banned
Relix said:
Umm.... I am poking my head around and will ask one thing. Is it good and is it worth it? If I get three consecutive unanimous Yes I go out and buy it now. If I find a store open =P
Personally it's my GOTY. But it has plenty of flaws. If you're not entirely sure about it, you could go rent it, it's left people with a bad taste in their mouth.

But I say, go for it. It rocks and it's ballsy. Love it.

Rez said:
I thought you were enjoying yourself at the end there.

Kard8p3

Relix said:

Yes absolutely worth it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just wanted to ruin the chain. The game is inoffensive, just not very memorable or particularly clever. There are a whole lot of other games released just this year that are probably more deserving of your time, but if you have the expendable and a couple free hours (and you've played games like Bayonetta, SC2, SMG2, Red Dead, Limbo and the like already), go for it. It's pretty much my definition of a good $20ish pick-up; I don't expect everything to be AAA.

Relix said:
Yes absolutely. It's not a perfect game, but it gets better as you get further into it.

The Technomancer

Scythesurge said:
Yes absolutely. It's not a perfect game, but it gets better as you get further into it.
I can back this up. I don't even know how far I am, I didn't keep track, but I'm really enjoying it now, even if it felt meh for the first area or so.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Relix said:

Unequivocally (yes).

After you pass the first hour or two, come back and thank us. Enjoy!

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Shin Johnpv said:
It's explained right in the game. They say they left that metroid unaltered to have a control subject. How ever MB turned it into a Queen. I would imagine that metroids like a lot of other animals that require a Queen to breed can change to produce one when there isn't one present. I mean shit there are frogs that can change their sex based on that. So it completely makes sense that when it becomes a queen it produced regular metroids, cause it's DNA, as far as the GF altering went, was untouched. They say in the game too that the Larval forms were still freezable. All of this was explained in the game, you can even replay the scenes once you beat the game. Maybe you should rewatch some of them.

I've seen others give you the exact same reply, I'm not sure why you aren't getting that, or what's not making sense to you.
I rewatched the videos and linked them to make sure I was correct in an earlier post. Where does it say that MB turned it into a queen? It says they were manipulating Metoids and that one of them made it to a more mature stage. They took it and separated it from the rest to use it as a controlled subject. In other words nothing else was done to it genetically. They watched it to see what would happen. Samus then says, no one could have predicted that it would turn into a queen because queens have a special genetic encoding. The point she was making is that through the research being conducted, the GF learned how to clone Metroid Queens. That's why those soldiers showed up so quick at the MB fight and Anthony made sure the survivors mode it out so they could be witnesses.

I know the larva was freezable. That's my point. Adam rushed off to his death without even questioning the fact that he just killed a Metroid outside of Sector Zero. The whole point of this was because he said Samus couldn't defeat the Metroids. Why would he leave her knowing that. Shouldn't he have asked where that Metroid he just killed came from and go see if there are anymore. Instead he left her paralyzed, while he marched to his death.

As far as me getting hung up on this stuff, none of this would matter if there wasn't another Metroid in the game. Adam would have died for a cause. Instead, they make him out to be a hero but Samus had to get the job done anyway. The second I saw another Metroid, I questioned why Adam died. Basically, the whole point of him dying was made meaningless. I can't be the only one who thought this.

My point with this is that there should have been more attention paid to the story and the way things were worded. Something was clearly lost in translation here.

John Harker

This is one of the few games that I actually enjoy the instant-kill moments. Thank you for having a forgiving checkpoint system and cool cut scenes. Oops, I jumped into the lava and was too slow -
Anthony got the true death!

KrawlMan

John Harker said:
Unequivocally (yes).

After you pass the first hour or two, come back and thank us. Enjoy!

Agreed. The first hour isn't the best representation of the game as a whole. It's really worth playing.

Boney

Banned
If that baby metroid was already out, it means that they were starting filtrate in. It was imperative to take action right away and destroy sector zero.

What's up with the Gravity Suit? It looks kind of weird. Still, I would rank this game up there with MP1 & MP2. Haters gonna hate, I guess.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Boney said:
If that baby metroid was already out, it means that they were starting filtrate in. It was imperative to take action right away and destroy sector zero.
Okay. That makes a lot more sense, especially after finding out there was a queen creating them by the dozens. I'll shut up about it now.

John Harker

KrawlMan said:
Agreed. The first hour isn't the best representation of the game as a whole. It's really worth playing.

Yah, everything gets better. I've come to the conclusion that the VO in this game, while not top of the line, is good. It's solid. I like Samus, Anthony, Adam. It's just the writing is really awkward. Particularly the beginning, but it certainly gets better. Samus doesn't really SPEAK much, so my 'image' of her actions is true to how we've seen her in the past. She has a pretty robust internal monologue going on, but we all think differently than we speak aloud - I like the dichotomy and contrast Sakamoto was going forward. While some of it is hamfisted and stilted, it kinda rings true to me. You'll notice she is much more curt, quiet, introverted externally than when she thinks to herself. I suppose I appreciate that insight into her motivations.

I haven't posted in GAF in a loooong while. I forgot about this has been out for a while; what's the opinion of fellow gaffers? Worth a try? I started reading around and seems like I missed quite a storm...

RagnarokX

MadOdorMachine said:
I rewatched the videos and linked them to make sure I was correct in an earlier post. Where does it say that MB turned it into a queen? It says they were manipulating Metoids and that one of them made it to a more mature stage. They took it and separated it from the rest to use it as a controlled subject. In other words nothing else was done to it genetically. They watched it to see what would happen. Samus then says, no one could have predicted that it would turn into a queen because queens have a special genetic encoding. The point she was making is that through the research being conducted, the GF learned how to clone Metroid Queens. That's why those soldiers showed up so quick at the MB fight and Anthony made sure the survivors mode it out so they could be witnesses.

I know the larva was freezable. That's my point. Adam rushed off to his death without even questioning the fact that he just killed a Metroid outside of Sector Zero. The whole point of this was because he said Samus couldn't defeat the Metroids. Why would he leave her knowing that. Shouldn't he have asked where that Metroid he just killed came from and go see if there are anymore. Instead he left her paralyzed, while he marched to his death.

As far as me getting hung up on this stuff, none of this would matter if there wasn't another Metroid in the game. Adam would have died for a cause. Instead, they make him out to be a hero but Samus had to get the job done anyway. The second I saw another Metroid, I questioned why Adam died. Basically, the whole point of him dying was made meaningless. I can't be the only one who thought this.

My point with this is that there should have been more attention paid to the story and the way things were worded. Something was clearly lost in translation here.

Adam
took out the ice-resistant metroids. He killed the metroids that were almost invincible. Only thing that could kill those is a self-destruct nuke. The queen wasn't making those. It was a control specimen: ie a specimen not subjected to the treatment condition.

The Technomancer

How are people playing that not being able to move in first person is a problem? I've had that cause trouble like....twice. I'm normally not in FPS long enough for it to matter, I just flip in, lock on, fire off a missile, then flip out and move. I pretty much never use it for regular firing, there's no need. (except in a few vertical shafts)

Boney

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:
Okay. That makes a lot more sense, especially after finding out there was a queen creating them by the dozens. I'll shut up about it now.
The problem is that nobody knew about the queen, and it was nothing samus couldn't handle really.

The_Technomancer said:
How are people playing that not being able to move in first person is a problem? I've had that cause trouble like....twice. I'm normally not in FPS long enough for it to matter, I just flip in, lock on, fire off a missile, then flip out and move. I pretty much never use it for regular firing, there's no need. (except in a few vertical shafts)
Use it man. Fire a missile and back to third person. Works like a charm.

John Harker said:
Just saw the
Ridley
nemesis scene.

Nintendo +1

best encounter with to date?
I liked it a lot. He really felt menacing. I can only dream they do something like that with Zelda.

John Harker

The_Technomancer said:

Just shake the Wii mote when an enemy is about to attack and you activate a Sense dodge. It's really easily, you could turn the whole game into a Shooting Gallery if you want - walk into a room, go first person, fire away, shake to dodge when in coming attack, back to first person, drop a missile, unlock to fire beam, shake to dodge, lather, rinse, repeat. I just like the versitilty of it, and the added option of tackling harder enemies multiple ways.

The Technomancer

Boney said:
Use it man. Fire a missile and back to third person. Works like a charm.
Oh yeah, I didn't phrase that right. I use missiles in regular combat all the time, and for that I flip in and out, but I never flip to first person and then try to take out all of the enemies with regular shots. The complaints from reviewers about not being able to move in first person really only make sense to me if you're staying in FPS mode for prolonged periods of time which...well...doesn't seem how the game is meant to be played.

EDIT: Didn't know about shake to dodge, I'll have to try that next time. Calling it a night after having reached the top of that power tower thing in the Pyrosphere and driving off purple tentacled flying thing once more.

Boney

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Oh yeah, I didn't phrase that right. I use missiles in regular combat all the time, and for that I flip in and out, but I never flip to first person and then try to take out all of the enemies with regular shots. The complaints from reviewers about not being able to move in first person really only make sense to me if you're staying in FPS mode for prolonged periods of time which...well...doesn't seem how the game is meant to be played.

EDIT: Didn't know about shake to dodge, I'll have to try that next time. Calling it a night after having reached the top of that power tower thing in the Pyrosphere and driving off purple tentacled flying thing once more.
You're in for a treat next time though ;P

mantidor

The game finally arrived! god damn international shipping an it's long delivery times.

I've played for a while and I'm surprised about how much I'm liking it including the dumb cutscenes, but if the game has one flaw is that the d-pad of the remote sucks beyond words, if it wasn't for that the game would be amazing and much easier to get into.

MadOdorMachine said:

What's odd is that I thought at the moment they said only specific Metroids could become queens that the baby Metroid she saved would have been one, since all the Metroids they were creating were based on the remnants of that particular one.

Honestly, this and the ramifications it has for Fusion put a HUGE deal of importance on Metroid 2's ending

Instro

The_Technomancer said:
Didn't know about shake to dodge, I'll have to try that next time. Calling it a night after having reached the top of that power tower thing in the Pyrosphere and driving off purple tentacled flying thing once more.

Its kind of weird that this was never mentioned in the game, I mean it seems like so many people have no idea that you can dodge while in fps mode or they cant figure out how to do it.

Top Bottom