• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dacvak said:
I'm shocked that more people aren't disappointed by this game. We don't have as many Metroid fans on GAF as I thought.

Not trolling. Dead serious.

Nah, there just happens to be a difference between Metroid fans and Metroid fanboys. Negative connotations attached to the latter are usually due to irrational hatred and disappointed with anything that deters from what they consider the norm, to the point of writing games off before they’ve even played.

Same with any franchise. Fanboys usually arn't worth listening to because they dont add any value to the conversation. Just complaining, whining, and bitching as to why Title X isn't built to the specific parameters they've decided on.

And, as always, they’ll mock and patronise anybody who doesn’t agree with their jaded outlook, usually resorting to tactics that undermine the ‘fan’ status and opinions of others.

Dacvak said:
I'm shocked that more people aren't disappointed by this game. We don't have as many Metroid fans on GAF as I thought.
Well, what is there to be disappointed by yet?

Nobody except the people with review copies have played it, and the reviews are mostly positive.

Teknoman

Dacvak said:

fbj3x5.jpg

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Dacvak said:

I'm probably a special case since I always find that I enjoy games for what they do, not hate them for what they don't do. I'm sure once the "fans" who can't enjoy a game that doesn't meet all the points in their bulleted franchise definition list get Other M in their hands, this thread will take a pretty sharp and unpleasant turn.

I will enjoy this idyllic pre-release people-like-games-cause-they're-fun wonderland while it lasts.

Tathanen said:
I'm probably a special case since I always find that I enjoy games for what they do, not hate them for what they don't do. I'm sure once the "fans" who can't enjoy a game that doesn't meet all the points in their bulleted franchise definition list get Other M in their hands, this thread will take a pretty sharp and unpleasant turn.

I will enjoy this idyllic pre-release people-like-games-cause-they're-fun wonderland while it lasts.

Now that's a form of gaming appreciation I can definitely relate to. No, sir. You are not alone.

ASIS

Tathanen said:

Less talk about fanboys, more talk about Other M.

PLEEEASE GIVE US SOMETHING!! :'(

Koodo

Banned
Dacvak said:

34or9jp.jpg

Tathanen said:

Oh, cut the crap and spill the beans.

I'M DESPERATE.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
To be fair, a lot of what I'd love to talk about I wouldn't talk about even if there wasn't an embargo, it's a whole wad of spoilers that you're all better off not knowing.

But there are a few things to note, to be certain. Just wait 24-ish hours and they will be yours!

Poyunch

Just stopped my Metroid NES run. I stopped because I got hit and phased through the floor into lava. Woohoo. Three energy tanks wasted. :lol At least I killed Ridley beforehand.
Dacvak said:

21b0md1.jpg

I'm sorry Boney. I should have waited and used this on him rather than on you.

Tathanen said:
To be fair, a lot of what I'd love to talk about I wouldn't talk about even if there wasn't an embargo, it's a whole wad of spoilers that you're all better off not knowing.

But there are a few things to note, to be certain. Just wait 24-ish hours and they will be yours!

This, the heart attack post and all your other hints =

franknclayton1.gif

Koodo

Banned
Tathanen said:

2q9h176.jpg

ASIS

Tathanen said:

We don't want details, just impressions!

just choose the following:

Great

Good

meh

bleh

not hard eh?

PLEEEEEEAAAAAAASE!!!!!!

Poyunch

Aaanyway. The game's out next week. Do you think Nintendo's going to wait until the game's out to release the second Iwata Asks or do you think they'll sneak it in pre-release?

Diffense

Tathanen said:

No kidding.
Once I get the game, this thread won't see me until I'm done.
In fact, I disappear on Friday when people start posting reviews.
This is one game I just want to play and not talk about.

ASIS

_Alkaline_ said:
Dude the game comes out in a few days. Chill.
I tend to get hyper when game's releases draw near. Besides, this isn't pure hype but I want just some impressions from people who played the full game.

oh and I might actually get the game a few days earlier than you guys, so yeah. I'm weird i know.

Speaking of this game

I was at Wal-Mart a few hours ago and they were putting a huge Other M banner over the electronics section that advertised a gift card when preordered.

sfried

Tathanen said:

By then I would be too busy playing the game and savouring it for every second that counts rather than spoiling myself by checking this thread. So no, you're not the only one with that opinion.

Diffense

One thing: I think I prefer the Japanese voice actress.
I can't understand a word but there is a certain understated passion even in her monologue.
Sometimes there's a breathiness and a change of tone that just feels right compared to the completely cold delivery in the English version.
Then again, maybe the lines just sound better in Japanese the way they were written.

Series retrospective in Japanese:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoOd9wXM6Wg

Beth Cyra

Diffense said:
One thing: I think I prefer the Japanese voice actress.
I can't understand a word but there is a certain understated passion even in her monologue.
Sometimes there's a breathiness and a change of tone that just feels right compared to the completely cold delivery in the English version.

Series retrospective in Japanese:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoOd9wXM6Wg
I think it is that cold detachment that makes the English VA much better to me personally, but eh opinions and all that.

Cool Nintendo is pushing a Metroid game hard, shame that the talented guys at Retro couldn't get the same respect.

But they got to make a Donkey Kong game that will sell gazillions, so I guess it all evens out. :)

I have to assume (delude myself into believing?) that the writing will be solid when taken over the length of the game, given Nintendo's normally excellent localization team.

JasonUresti said:
Cool Nintendo is pushing a Metroid game hard, shame that the talented guys at Retro couldn't get the same respect.

But they got to make a Donkey Kong game that will sell gazillions, so I guess it all evens out. :)

I have to assume (delude myself into believing?) that the writing will be solid when taken over the length of the game, given Nintendo's normally excellent localization team.
metroid prime 1 sold well enough for nintendo to commision retro to make 2 sequels. metroid prime 3 was the FIRST game revelead for the wii. no respect?

Diffense

TruePrime said:
I think it is that cold detachment that makes the English VA much better to me personally, but eh opinions and all that.

I don't hate the English but when I heard the Japanese it seemed just right to me.
English Samus doesn't seem to care about anything she's saying.
It's as if she's talking but her mind is elsewhere.

Beth Cyra

Diffense said:
I don't hate the English but when I heard the Japanese it seemed just right to me.
English Samus doesn't seem to care about anything she's saying.
It's as if she's talking but her mind is elsewhere.
I got the same impression, I think the difference is I expected that given the intro and her thinking back to the Baby.

AniHawk

JasonUresti said:

Metroid Prime was pushed hard. It had a minute long commercial too, and think about all those reviewers they had to pay off.

Poyunch

TruePrime said:
I got the same impression, I think the difference is I expected that given the intro and her thinking back to the Baby.
Plus it really sounds like she's recollecting events. I bet she's basically explaining her actions prior to the present time. Maybe the end- or mid-game?

edit: It's like 12 AM here and I just saw the full commercial (not the 30 second one) while watching some King of the Hill reruns on Fox. Nice?

Koodo

Banned
AniHawk said:
Metroid Prime was pushed hard. It had a minute long commercial too, and think about all those reviewers they had to pay off.
Oh you.

Also, it's safe to say that Nintendo maintained one series tradition with this game: hideous box arts. Will they ever get that right? (in NA/Europe, at least)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Koodo said:
Oh you.

Also, it's safe to say that Nintendo maintained one series tradition with this game: hideous box arts. Will they ever get that right? (in NA/Europe, at least)
Metroid Prime Trilogy!

Honestly, Other M's boxart is ok to me. It suffers from the same cluttering that Corruption's art did, but the hand-drawn work looks nice in person.

Nothing will ever be as bad as Prime's boxart anyway.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Tathanen said:

So anyone who doesn't like Other M is a jaded pseudo-fan who hates videogames?

AniHawk said:
Not as many as they had to pay for NSMB.

edit: God I suck at this.

I felt bad after posting it because it just seems so mean. It wasn't my cup of tea, but it was still a competent game.

Kard8p3

Abandon candy factory!!!

I've just found the first part of an Other M playthrough on youtube so spoilers could start flying soon.

Koodo

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Honestly, Other M's boxart is ok to me. It suffers from the same cluttering that Corruption's art did, but the hand-drawn work looks nice in person.

Nothing will ever be as bad as Prime's boxart anyway.
The cluttering is precisely what I don't like. The games are extremely atmospheric with emphasis on isolation, yet the covers are noisy and messy and cluttered. I would prefer a bold and minimal design. That is why I prefer Metroid Prime's boxart, since it better conveys what the game is actually about.

Edit: Metroid Prime Trilogy's boxart was ok, if not forgettable. The fancy packaging made me feel all warm inside though.

Koodo said:
The cluttering is precisely what I don't like. The games are extremely atmospheric with emphasis on isolation, yet the covers are noisy and messy and cluttered. I would prefer a bold and minimal design. That is why I prefer Metroid Prime's boxart, since it better conveys what the game is actually about.

Edit: Metroid Prime Trilogy's boxart was ok, if not forgettable. The fancy packaging made me feel all warm inside though.

Prime's cover was awful dude. Just a 3D render of Samus standing in an empty room in the Frigate Orpheon with a muted colour scheme.

Not saying the other Prime games got it right, but Prime isn't exactly a good example to use.

Koodo

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Prime's cover was awful dude. Just a 3D render of Samus standing in an empty room in the Frigate Orpheon with a muted colour scheme.

Not saying the other Prime games got it right, but Prime isn't exactly a good example to use.
Well, I said preferred, not "put on a mighty, fabulous pedestal."

Top Bottom