• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

I honestly don't like the Other M's box art either, the U.S. one.

The drawing is good but...I don't think it looks that good, IMO. I think it's that drawing of the short-haired Samus that doesn't look that great.

But who cares, really. I just want the game.

Solune

Koodo said:
Oh you.

Also, it's safe to say that Nintendo maintained one series tradition with this game: hideous box arts. Will they ever get that right? (in NA/Europe, at least)

I don't know I think Super Metroid is perfect, MP2: Echoes was cool even though the game was subpar.

Koodo

Banned
Solune said:
... MP2: Echoes [boxart] was cool even though the game was subpar.
This is, like, exactly the reverse of what I feel.

Well, except I think Echoes (the game) is not cool but instead spectacular, inspiring, life-changing, etc.

I've seen people not like NSMBW after playing multiplayer.

I die a little inside each time.

It is as close to multiplayer Nirvana as I've had the chance to experience. And it's a badass game single-player style as well. It's floaty, but with that many people it helps.

God I want to play it right now.

I loved Galaxy. It's a beautiful, very involved platformer that does some really fun stuff with gravity, but I met the game I didn't know I'd always wanted in NSMBW. A game designed around a decidely retro style.

I just hope they continue to pull off the NES games with Wii or above (3DS) visuals.

Nemesis_

Surprised this hasn't leaked yet. Well done Nintendo. =D

Still, cannot wait for September 2nd. Soooo close but so far.

Agent Unknown said:
MikeAndTheBots.jpg
Agent Unknown said:
This, the heart attack post and all your other hints =

franknclayton1.gif
So what you're saying is you think the post-game bonus will be Mike Nelson and his robot pals coming out and riffing the cut-scenes. 'Cause that would be awesome.
Roll Fizzlebeef.

Kard8p3

Nemesis556 said:
Surprised this hasn't leaked yet. Well done Nintendo. =D

Still, cannot wait for September 2nd. Soooo close but so far.

Someone's already started a playthrough on youtube.

zigg

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Wat wat wat
I hope that is a review copy young man becuase if not...
tell me were have you bough an european copy, I want it now!
pretty please

He printed up the box art and stuck it in a white case to drive you all crazy.

(I am going to have to remember to do this next time)

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Wat wat wat
I hope that is a review copy young man becuase if not...
tell me were have you bough an european copy, I want it now!
pretty please

Review copy. Too bad I'm occupied all day, but I'll report back with some impressions later.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
MattKeil said:
So anyone who doesn't like Other M is a jaded pseudo-fan who hates videogames?

Naw, anyone is welcome to not like it if it like... sucks. If there is something wrong with it, even if it's just not their cup of tea! But it's a little obnoxious to not like a game just because it doesn't adhere to a list of "requirements for enjoyment." I was just commenting in response to the silly notion that if you were a "Metroid Fan" you'd dislike this game. With that kind of logic, a "Mario Fan" would hate Galaxy because it's not even remotely like Mario 3.

Anyway, dudes and dudettes, if you just want to know whether it's good or not, I think I already said that. My opinion in general hasn't changed much since I beat it (and then double-beat it), it went up a little in some spots, went down a little in some spots, probably averaged out to the same. Namely: do like, is good. Fun game is fun. Especially for people who liked the setpieces in previous games.

shahkur

So, seen quite a few TV ads for this here in the UK, each time making me even more psyched.

@Foxhimself:
Bull.png
You lucky B******.

dr_octagon

Banned
Tathanen said:
Naw, anyone is welcome to not like it if it like... sucks. If there is something wrong with it, even if it's just not their cup of tea! But it's a little obnoxious to not like a game just because it doesn't adhere to a list of "requirements for enjoyment." I was just commenting in response to the silly notion that if you were a "Metroid Fan" you'd dislike this game. With that kind of logic, a "Mario Fan" would hate Galaxy because it's not even remotely like Mario 3.

Anyway, dudes and dudettes, if you just want to know whether it's good or not, I think I already said that. My opinion in general hasn't changed much since I beat it (and then double-beat it), it went up a little in some spots, went down a little in some spots, probably averaged out to the same. Namely: do like, is good. Fun game is fun. Especially for people who liked the setpieces in previous games.
Nintendo titles always have high expectations and fans tend to be critical if there is a change to the series. Retro left an indelible mark for some but, like everything, it's time to move on. There are some qualities which make a game distinctly Metroid and I don't think they've been lost, they also use the first person mode as reference to the Prime series. I think it's been mentioned before, this appears to be Metroid Fusion in 3D and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Other M is different, in how it plays and emphasis on story telling, but still has a familiarity to it.

Diffense

Complete early gameplay up to to the bug boss thingy.
Not for blackout people but I've seen sections of everything here before so it was nice to see it all tied together in sequence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mnE_yyDcoQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozb6ETmUgOY

BTW, the music is definitely film music more than videogame music.
It's atmospheric, swelling, moody and ambient but seldom melodic.
That's not a complaint, because I see how it will work really well for the game's tone.

SpokkX

About the music. It seems it plays in the background at VERY low volume.

You people that have played the game, is it possible to crank up only the music volume in the options independenty of the sound effects?

sfried

Diffense said:
Complete early gameplay up to to the bug boss thingy.
Not for blackout people but I've seen sections of everything here before so it was nice to see it all tied together in sequence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mnE_yyDcoQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozb6ETmUgOY

BTW, the music is definitely film music more than videogame music.
It's atmospheric, swelling, moody and ambient but seldom melodic.
That's not a complaint, because I see how it will work really well for the game's tone.
>Language
>Subtitles
Dual audio confirmed.

Top Bottom