• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Mafro

[Nintex] said:
So yeah, Other M, Other Mother maybe the secret girl is actually another 'mother' trying to raise a baby Metroid. I dunno I'm just throwing theories out there.
It better not end up being a Samus clone or some nonsense like that.

RagnarokX said:
How does the Chozo creating the metroids create plot holes?

I think Sakamoto said that Fusion is the end of the story. It wouldn't make much sense to set a game after it anyway.
In the Manga the Chozo created Metroids and Samus knows this, yet in one of the trailers she talks about how Metroids were DISCOVERED on SR388 and in Metroid 2 they call SR388 "their homeworld". Clearly that doesn't follow the Chozo creating them, especially since Samus (in the manga) knows that the Chozo created the Metroids.

AniHawk

RagnarokX said:
It wouldn't make much sense to set a game after it anyway.

1. The Federation was trying to create Metroids in Fusion
2. Samus kills all the Metroids left by sending the ship crashing into earth
3. Samus is now the only thing left with Metroid DNA
4. The Federation's probably not pleased that Samus blew everything up, plus they want to make Metroids
5. But hey, Samus has Metroid DNA

Story's not done yet. Metroid Dread should see bounty hunters coming after her. Would be a pretty interesting twist and might even be a decent change of play style (getting abilities to stay one step ahead instead of getting somewhere out of reach).

Sakamoto's probably waiting for them to make another true Alien movie though, considering each one of the four main Metroid games are loosely based off them.

Bizzyb

Banned
AniHawk said:
4. The Federation's probably not pleased that Samus blew everything up, plus they want to make Metroids

Story's not done yet. Metroid Dread should see bounty hunters coming after her. Would be a pretty interesting twist and might even be a decent change of play style (getting abilities to stay one step ahead instead of getting somewhere out of reach).

Sakamoto's probably waiting for them to make another true Alien movie though, considering each one of the four main Metroid games are loosely based off them.

Yeah, I heard Echoes was based off of that movie as well. What's the 4th?

Gravijah

AniHawk said:

Keep the tension of Fusion and this would be awesome.

AniHawk

Bizzyb said:
Yeah, I heard Echoes was based off of that movie as well. What's the 4th?

Metroid was based off Alien (and probably more likely Aliens).
Metroid II was more directly based off Aliens. Both series protagonists go after the killing machines on their homeworlds and fight and kill the queen. Also, nothing lives except for one (well, in Alien 3's case, two).
In Super Metroid and Alien 3, it's back to the basics. Super Metroid returns to where the first game took place and Alien 3 acts more like the first Alien. The biggest difference is while Ripley and Samus both find themselves "mothers" to the creatures, Ripley's gives the ol' college try and tries to kill her.
Metroid Fusion and Alien Resurrection sees both protagonists back. Samus was injured because a virus, but she gets better because of Metroid DNA. Ripley was injured because of death, but she gets better because they clone her from Ellen Ripley's DNA plus some Xenomorph DNA. Each military/federation thing also tries to recreate the xenomorph/metroid.

Metroid Prime games were spinoffs and Other M is an anime in video game form.

Boney

Banned
AniHawk said:
Metroid was based off Alien (and probably more likely Aliens).
Metroid II was more directly based off Aliens. Both series protagonists go after the killing machines on their homeworlds and fight and kill the queen. Also, nothing lives except for one (well, in Alien 3's case, two).
In Super Metroid and Alien 3, it's back to the basics. Super Metroid returns to where the first game took place and Alien 3 acts more like the first Alien. The biggest difference is while Ripley and Samus both find themselves "mothers" to the creatures, Ripley's gives the ol' college try and tries to kill her.
Metroid Fusion and Alien Resurrection sees both protagonists back. Samus was injured because a virus, but she gets better because of Metroid DNA. Ripley was injured because of death, but she gets better because they clone her from Ellen Ripley's DNA plus some Xenomorph DNA. Each military/federation thing also tries to recreate the xenomorph/metroid.

Metroid Prime games were spinoffs and Other M is an anime in video game form.
:lol

MNC

My only concern is that Ridley looks too buff in the commercial. EVERYTHING ELSE IS HYPE HYPE

Seeing the intro again... I don't mind voice acting in Metroid, but they don't have to put the voices in EVERYWHERE. The bit where she blasts mother brain, with the metroid, it would work better without voices. For other things, leave the voices in. Perfectly fine. Just don't overdo it. STILL HYPE HYPE HYPE

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I accidentally made myself want to buy this a few days ago I'm trying so damn hard not to like the awesome OP and the awesome videos but oh damn it's so hard
argablerfleg;ar'

Kard8p3

Koodo said:
Saw about 5 minutes of this before shutting off.

Looks gorgeous, amazing, inspiring, almost flawless.
the almost is due to the voice acting, that one little aspect isn't so hot

With the exception of some early cutscenes there's nothing new here. Still nice to get a look at it though.

WTF @
the birth of Samus. She's a star child?

Jesus Christ the
Super Metroid CGI opening is awesome. Giant metroids FTW

kiryogi said:
Tell us if it requires firmware 4.3! Or is Nintendo not even letting you folks do that?

It prompts a system update (PAL version), yeah.

Finished now. One of the hard bits was a really daft little moment where the thing I tried first time didn't seem to work, and I had to reload and try again.

Took me about 14 hours but I only got 56% of items.

MNC

Hero of Canton said:

Finished now. One of the hard bits was a really daft little moment where the thing I tried first time didn't seem to work, and I had to reload and try again.

14 hours is a nice amount. Prime 3 took me about 17.

RaidenZR

AniHawk said:

Isn't this hearsay/loose speculation? I am sure I've read somewhere that the idea for metroid (or maybe just samus) was lightly inspired by Alien many years after the first film debuted but I don't think it's been said to have been straight-up fact. I might be wrong though.

Edit: And even if it's fact for the first game, I think stretching it to say they correspondingly develop a major metroid game for every subsequent Alien film is a bit interpretive.

Mafro

RaidenZR said:
Isn't this hearsay/loose speculation? I am sure I've read somewhere that the idea for metroid (or maybe just samus) was lightly inspired by Alien many years after the first film debuted but I don't think it's been said to have been straight-up fact. I might be wrong though.
I thought it was pretty much fact that the first game, at least, was inspired by Alien. Ridley being named after Ridley Scott etc.

Hero of Canton said:

Very good length for a more 2Dish Metroid, I was afraid it would be like 6 hours like most of the 2D Metroid games were. Just to make sure you are not some really slow player or something right?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Hero of Canton said:

This seems like the perfect length for me.

Poyunch

So I think I know what that furry creature is.
It's Ridley
, isn't it? :lol

Don't reply if you've played the game though. I don't want it to be spoiled. ;P

Boney

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
So I think I know what that furry creature is.
It's Ridley
, isn't it? :lol

Don't reply if you've played the game though. I don't want it to be spoiled. ;P
we don't take kindly to furries here..

Metroid said:
The people here playing it are having review copies. Release is next Monday

Tuesday.
Though, many stores will already have it this week, so you might get lucky and get it early.

fireside said:
Only three save slots? Can you please stop living in 1990 Nintendo?

Do you honestly need more than 3 for a Metroid game?
I mean, if this was like a 50 hour RPG, I could see wanting more, but a 12 hour side scroller...

fireside

AceBandage said:
Do you honestly need more than 3 for a Metroid game?
I mean, if this was like a 50 hour RPG, I could see wanting more, but a 12 hour side scroller...
I don’t like deleting saves after playing a game 3 times.

Nairume

Banned
Ridley327 said:
Yeah, but the new Alien films are supposed to be prequels. I can't imagine how you'd fit the Space Jockey into Metroid.
Couldn't the Chozo already be seen as the Space Jockey analog?

fireside

goldenpp72 said:
Uh, why? How many variations of ways do you intend to beat a game so it can be immortalized?
In my perfect world every game would have a save system like MGS’s so I can just load up the game and play a certain section if I want to. I’d love to have a bunch of saves in Wind Waker right before each dungeon, for instance.

ASIS

goldenpp72 said:
Uh, why? How many variations of ways do you intend to beat a game so it can be immortalized?
he wants to have gazillion save files.

we have the technology to save a gazillion files.

Nintendo is preventing us from saving a gazillion files.

The question is not why, it's why not?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Can't we all just forget about this game and start wishing for Dread again?

The only real issue I saw with three save files was back on Prime. The various difficulty settings, trying to beat each as fast as I could for fun, and then trying to have 100% completion on both as well...and having roommates who wanted to start "fresh" and play for fun themselves. I could have easily used 5 or 6 save slots then. Plus, what if it's a family of four or more and each wants to play their own file?

Edit: I know GCN had Memory Cards and you could have multiple cards to get around the save slot limit, but there's no reason save slots are so limited nowadays with memory sizes and storage solutions on all these machines.

Edit 2: If you have an SD card and a PC/Mac with a card reader, you can have a ton of saves, so keep that in mind. Sort of goes with above thing, but it's a work around for now.

Edit 3: Unless Nintendo trolled and locked the save data, which I thought was restricted to online-based games only. Don't know the answer to that one yet.

Beth Cyra

Dacvak said:
Can't we all just forget about this game and start wishing for Dread again?

Not unless Sakamoto goes all out again and lets Samus have a character, fuck going back to that silent protagonist shit.

Top Bottom