• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
jarosh said:
oh shut up. seriously. if that's all you have to contribute, don't bother. WAH WAH THIS THREAD CAN BE DIVIDED INTO 2 CAMPS: THE SMART PEOPLE WHO ARE TOTALLY OPEN FOR NEW THINGS AND TOTALLY COOL (LIKE ME!!!) AND THE PEOPLE WHO ARE EXTREMELY CONSERVATIVE AND DON'T LIKE ANYTHING NEW AND ARE STUPID.

it's cute how you choose to ignore 90% of the arguments of people who didn't like other m or thought it was mediocre, that have NOTHING to do with "change". the idea that people who dislike other m are simply "afraid of change" is a complete fabrication. i see it brought up at least once on every page by someone who summarily wants to dismiss everyone criticising the game.

in my opinion other m is ANYTHING BUT a daring and bold new direction for metroid. hell, i wish it was! it has: a god awful plot and some of the worst writing and storytelling in recent memory, boring, samey level design, dumbed down, simplistic controls, plenty of inconsistent or inconsequent gameplay mechanics and terribly unexciting gameplay in general... that's how i see the game.

but wait, all or most of those things were not present in previous metroid games! so this truly IS change! i guess i am afraid of change after all! it's that simple, isn't it?

let's say you have pizza for lunch and you love it. so tomorrow you'll get poo for lunch. what? you don't like it? well, jeez, guess somebody doesn't like change. i guess you just want pizza every day!
I probably would a have been a tad more diplomatic, but thanks for saving me the trouble of responding to that.

You're free to like the game, guys, and then post about how much you like it and how great you thought it was built, but for the love god just leave it at that. You don't need to overcompensate by saying "I love it therefore the people who don't must be X!" or "I love this game, I can't believe others didn't I must be creerraaaaaaazzzzyyy" or "the people in the other camp mustn't have seen or understood this this and that", because chances are we saw this, this and that and were left thoroughly unimpressed.

My problem has never been that "the story is shit"or "this isn't Metroid", it has always been "this is a dull, ugly, b-tier action game with a few cool moments".

Finished the game 100%, but not gonna play hard mode. Was hard enough as is.

Loved it though. Didn't like it at all for the first couple hours, but stuck with it. In the end, I adored it.

Getting all the items was kind of stupid though. Like that
missile expansion you can only get after beating the last last boss, by blowing up the elevator. Once you have that expansion, you end up being put into the zero suit right afterward. You never even have a reason to have another missile expansion.

Also, never saw the sexism, don't know what that argument is all about.

I liked the story and the storytelling.

jarosh

GregLombardi said:
First of all, you clearly completely mis-characterized my post. I said that neither is more correct than the other. You can choose to believe that you are more correct than everyone else by throwing around insults (which, might I add, surprises me coming from you since I've been reading your posts for a long time), or you can listen to reason when I tell you that I've had more fun with Other M than I've had with all other single player Wii games that I've played (perhaps with the exception of Resi 4 but that doesnt' really count as it was a gamecube game).

I happen to believe that people's dislike for the game may be related in a majority sense for a dislike of change. If that's not your beef then that's fine.

You're viewing Metroid Other M through a very critical lens, which is fine, but honestly I'm simply viewing it through the lens of:

1. Is the game fun?
2. Does the game hold my attention?
3. Did I beat it?

For most major games this generation, the answer to 1. is yes, 2. is many times not, and 3. is No, for me specifically. These games include Uncharted 2, Red Faction Guerilla, Mario Galaxy and Galaxy 2 etc., -- many of the most revered games of the generation.

For Metroid Other M, the answer is a resounding Yes to all three. It is a fresh look at gameplay that I haven't seen much of this generation, fresh enough to keep my attention. Not a masterpiece, but definitely not the terrible game you are making it out to be.

This is a poo-filled comparison for sure. Firstly, the game isn't crap. Secondly, if it is crap to you, that doesn't mean it is crap to other people. Thirdly, your generalizations are just as bad as the one you are accusing me of making.
i don't have the time to respond in detail right now. i only wanted to say that i'm sorry if my post came off overly harsh. it's just that you weren't the first one to say something like that and those kinds of comments are usually made so other opinions can easily be dismissed. it's usually a cop-out. i might have been a bit rude, but my point still stands.

another thing: there is nothing wrong with having fun with the game. but clearly you're admitting that you're not viewing it through a very critical lens. the first step to critical thinking is to understand WHY you like or dislike something, the second step is to learn how to articulate that opinion. it is of much lesser importance which side you stand on. you just have to find out WHY you feel a certain why and then put that into words. you also can't claim to know why other people dislike something, especially when a) they make an effort to explain it themselves and it conflicts with your own assertions, and b) when all you know about your own experience is that you had "fun" but can't really elaborate much.

jufonuk said:
I am actually really liking this game , does that make me a bad person? :lol
of course not. it only becomes a problem if you patronize people for not liking the game or dismiss every dissenting opinion. there is fun to be had with other m. i had fun with it myself occasionally.

daakusedo

A very good hard mode.
I was surprised to destroy the chameleons so quickly,the first playthrough really train you.
And it accentuate the particularity of this game .

KevinCow said:
What the fuck.

"Guys, the next Mario game shouldn't have a jump button.
Also the next Halo game shouldn't have guns.
And the next Gran Turismo shouldn't have cars."

Seriously they say that opinions can't be wrong, but then you have statements like this.
Fusion and Prime 3 did just fine without backtracking. Zero Mission also lacks much, if any, backtracking. Prime 2 doesn't have much at all until the end, and it's about an hour out of the game.

And then you have something like Hunters that has so much backtracking it's obscene and not fun. Seriously, if there's a measure for bad backtracking, it's Hunters. I should not have to rebeat bosses just because I left the planet.

It seems when people say "Metroid"-like, it's only Super Metroid and Prime that they're talking about.

This game plays far more like Fusion than Super. As far as Metroid games go, Fusion and Super couldn't be further apart. This isn't Super Metroid, if you want that experience there's Zero Mission, Metroid II and Metroid Prime for that need. This plays much more like Prime 3 and Fusion.

Ridley327

I just played Prime 3 recently and it sure as hell has backtracking. Hell, two of the major power-ups require you to travel to the previous planet.

spidye

ok, I am now 6 hours in and it's already one of the best games this gen. I just got the grapling hook. the game is much, much better than the prime series.
how long does it take to finish it and will it get better?

Ridley327 said:
I just played Prime 3 recently and it sure as hell has backtracking. Hell, two of the major power-ups require you to travel to the previous planet.
Well, Other M has you going back to certain sectors will new power ups also.

But nothing compared to Super or Prime where you're all over the map doing different stuff all the time.

Kard8p3

spidye said:
ok, I am now 6 hours in and it's already one of the best games this gen. I just got the grapling hook. the game is much, much better than the prime series.
how long does it take to finish it and will it get better?

I was at just under 5 hours when I got the grappling hook and ended up getting to the credits around the 9 hour mark. Going for 100% added a couple more hours to my time for a grand total of 11 hours. Definitely the longest Sakamoto Metroid game.

In other news I can't stop playing this game. Seriously I think I'm addicted to it like I was with super and fusion (and zero mission to a lesser extent.) I've beaten this game 8 times and 100% 7 of those times (the other time was hard mode.) I will say while I love hard mode I have an addiction to finding the pickups so I can't really play it on hard anymore.

I don't understand the people saying this doesn't feel like a metroid game. This feels like 2D metroid and 3D and is honestly one of the best experiences I've had this gen. I absolutely love the Prime games but I'm glad we've gotten a more traditional feeling Metroid experience in 3D. I seriously need more metroid games from this team.

spidye

ReiGun said:
Adam is an idiot. Why would he not give me the Varia Suit and Ice Beam the moment I step into Sector 3? Moron.
:lol always thought the same

@kard8p3: love your avatar. that scene gave me goosebumps.

Boney

Banned
KevinCow said:
What the fuck.

"Guys, the next Mario game shouldn't have a jump button.
Also the next Halo game shouldn't have guns.
And the next Gran Turismo shouldn't have cars."

Seriously they say that opinions can't be wrong, but then you have statements like this.
I wrote a paragraph, but erased it. I'm just gonna say your examples are moronic and that is not the essence of Metroid games to me. But power ups.

Kard8p3

JodyAnthony said:
Finished the game 100%, but not gonna play hard mode. Was hard enough as is.

Loved it though. Didn't like it at all for the first couple hours, but stuck with it. In the end, I adored it.

Getting all the items was kind of stupid though. Like that
missile expansion you can only get after beating the last last boss, by blowing up the elevator. Once you have that expansion, you end up being put into the zero suit right afterward. You never even have a reason to have another missile expansion.

Also, never saw the sexism, don't know what that argument is all about.

I liked the story and the storytelling.

I had 100% before fighting Phantoon. The one you're talking about plus all but 3 other expansions can be obtained before going to sector 1. Then two of the three others can be had after leaving sector 2 the first time. Then of course the last from the main sector is behind the first powerbomb door in the residential area.

mantidor

_Alkaline_ said:
Seriously?

Come on man. Surely you didn't hate everything .Even the most cycnical bloke would have loved the
gravity section

The gravity section was completely ruined by the fact you had the gravity suit all the freaking time! I mean what the hell? Adam was out of the picture at that point why not activate everything is beyond me. The only one that made sense was the power bomb restriction, because there could be survivors and also you didn't want to melt your teammates.

I mean I know that just activating everything doesn't make sense gameplay wise, but the awesome metroid feeling of being a wimp and ending up as a killing machine was completely gone, once you got the item you didn't feel powerful, you felt dumb for not using it before. For me that is one of the biggests flaw of the game, even above the dumb cutscenes.

KevinCow

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:
Fusion and Prime 3 did just fine without backtracking. Zero Mission also lacks much, if any, backtracking. Prime 2 doesn't have much at all until the end, and it's about an hour out of the game.

What the shit. Every single one of those games has plenty of backtracking. Even Fusion. Hell, even Other M has some semblance of backtracking, even if you're only allowed to do so if certain doors aren't arbitrarily locked.

What the guy I quoted said is that backtracking should be eliminated entirely. As in, go even further than Fusion or Other M and make it so you never have to revisit areas. At which point, it would completely cease to be Metroid.

Boney said:
I wrote a paragraph, but erased it. I'm just gonna say your examples are moronic and that is not the essence of Metroid games to me. But power ups.

Oh cool, then you'd agree that something like God of War feels just like a Metroid game because you get power-ups in it as well.

Oh wait, except nobody who has actually played both games would say they're remotely similar, and would likely point out that the thing that makes Metroid's power-ups special is that you can use them in areas you visited earlier to access new areas, thus proving my point that backtracking is a key element of the series.

Boney

Banned
KevinCow said:
Oh cool, then you'd agree that something like God of War feels just like a Metroid game because you get power-ups in it as well.

Oh wait, except nobody who has actually played both games would say they're remotely similar, and would likely point out that the thing that makes Metroid's power-ups special is that you can use them in areas you visited earlier to access new areas, thus proving my point that backtracking is a key element of the series.
Sigh..

Of course not, don't be stupid. Power ups in Metroid games allow you to reach new areas and keep going forward. This is true for Other M as well. Backtracking in Other M is going forward. With revisiting new areas with new powerups allowing you transverse them easily, allow you to cross morphed terrain or forks in the path.

That's why backtracking in both the Prime series and the modern castlevanias suck because terrain is unnaffected and your new abilities are so contextual that it makes it boring. Not to mention backtracking in these revolves around looking for cut off area maps which may or may not be the one you're looking for. Super Metroid doesn't have this thanks to and incredibly smart and well designed level design. It spins and weaves onto itself perfectly.

Nessus

_Alkaline_ said:
Seriously?

Come on man. Surely you didn't hate everything .Even the most cycnical bloke would have loved the
gravity section

What I loved about that was
how at first I was like "It's not like Metroid to rip off another game like Mario Galaxy," and it wasn't until I saw who the boss was that everything clicked and I was like "Holy fuck that was awesome." Great subtle foreshadowing if you're paying attention.

Kad5

Ok so I beat the main part:

Im stuck. I have no idea how to get to the point im supposed to in the after credits. I just went through sector 2 to get to the elevator in the main sector. I can't go inside the elevator for some reason though. Whats the deal?

Kad5 said:

Im stuck. I have no idea how to get to the point im supposed to in the after credits. I just went through sector 2 to get to the elevator in the main sector. I can't go inside the elevator for some reason though. Whats the deal?

Look around for places to power bomb. They're those circular doors and will usually give you alternate paths to get places.

Kard8p3

Kad5 said:

when you come up from sector 2 the hallway right outside the elevator room has a power bomb door.

GregLombardi said:
Honestly I think this thread can be boiled down into 2 camps: Those who like change, and those who don't. Neither is more correct. This game is a huge change from past Metroid games, but I am on the side of the fence that embraces it for some reason.

Wrong again. Change is great and entirely necessary. It just needs to be for the better. Some of the best games in history were radically changed from their predecessors. Take Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Resident Evil 4, or Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (although that could be argued as a new game with a title stuck onto it).

If Other M had turned out better, I'd have been thrilled to have another game to add to that list. But most of its changes are terrible.

Boney

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
I'm actually kind of surprised people are still arguing about this.

Aren't both sides tired of convincing the other side that they're completely wrong?
Except for a few obvious hyperboles some poster really believe, I don't think one side is more than the other at all. I've had as much fun with this thread as the game.

KevinCow

Banned
Boney said:
Sigh..

Of course not, don't be stupid. Power ups in Metroid games allow you to reach new areas and keep going forward. This is true for Other M as well. Backtracking in Other M is going forward. With revisiting new areas with new powerups allowing you transverse them easily, allow you to cross morphed terrain or forks in the path.

That's why backtracking in both the Prime series and the modern castlevanias suck because terrain is unnaffected and your new abilities are so contextual that it makes it boring. Not to mention backtracking in these revolves around looking for cut off area maps which may or may not be the one you're looking for. Super Metroid doesn't have this thanks to and incredibly smart and well designed level design. It spins and weaves onto itself perfectly.

Disregarding factually incorrect statements in this post like "backtracking in the Prime series sucks," I'll reiterate what I said in my last post: I wasn't referring to Other M when talking about removing backtracking from the series (though it's certainly a step in the wrong direction), I was referring to the guy saying he'd like backtracking eliminated from the series entirely. Do you understand what "entirely" means? It means you would have even less freedom of where to go than Other M.

Oh and

Not to mention backtracking in these revolves around looking for cut off area maps which may or may not be the one you're looking for.

"Oh dear I may not always know exactly which way to go in this game which is supposed to be about exploration in a series that gained popularity because it threw you in a big map with no directions instead of sending you in a straight line like most other games at the time."
Uh9Qi.png

Pyrokai

Damn.

Just once I want to talk about this game with a bunch of people who enjoyed it. I just can't, no matter how hard I try, understand the hate for this game. It's been a long time since I've played a game in 5-6 hour chunks like I did this one, but I did. And I loved it. I also love the 2D and Prime Metroid games. Am I doing it wrong? Am I allowed to like them all? Because I do.

Edit: Ugh.....not what I wanted to be at the top of a page :(

Boney

Banned
Discussions have ramifications. The Prime series does backtracking the wrong way. And obviously, you're angry because we've hurt Metroid's honor and Nintendo has shot themselves in the foot. I'm done argueing with you because clearly you don't want to argue.

You just like to moan.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
having just finished Echoes, I was reminded why backtracking was so important to Metroid. Yes, you backtrack, but that feeling of opening a previously locked door with a new beam or visor, or jumping up to a new height with the grapple hook or space jump is just phenominal. Retro really had that world design down to a beautiful science. You have to backtrack, but the amount of things you can do on your way, that make you feel like you're improvising, is everything classic Metroid was to me.

The Prime series did backtracking better than any game I can think of at the moment.

Other M just feels scripted, I guess. No improvisational play at all. If you're going to do a heavily scripted game, then your competition isn't the Metroid series, it's stuff like Valve's work.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Pyrokai said:
Damn.

Just once I want to talk about this game with a bunch of people who enjoyed it. I just can't, no matter how hard I try, understand the hate for this game. It's been a long time since I've played a game in 5-6 hour chunks like I did this one, but I did. And I loved it. I also love the 2D and Prime Metroid games. Am I doing it wrong? Am I allowed to like them all? Because I do.

Edit: Ugh.....not what I wanted to be at the top of a page :(

I like it, and had been a while as well that I am spending 2+ hours on a game in one sitting

Bizzyb

Banned
Rez said:
having just finished Echoes, I was reminded why backtracking was so important to Metroid. Yes, you backtrack, but that feeling of opening a previously locked door with a new beam or visor, or jumping up to a new height with the grapple hook or space jump is just phenominal. Retro really had that world design down to a beautiful science. You have to backtrack, but the amount of things you can do on your way, that make you feel like you're improvising, is everything classic Metroid was to me.

The Prime series did backtracking better than any game I can think of at the moment.

Other M just feels scripted, I guess. No improvisational play at all. If you're going to do a heavily scripted game, then your competition isn't the Metroid series, it's stuff like Valve's work.

I wouldn't say it's "scripted" but it's linear. you still have a bit of figuring out to do, and there ARE areas that you normally could get to before but now can b/c of an upgrade, esp those including the grapple beam and super missiles

Boney

Banned
I've argued it many times in the thread, having a lot of fun and great back and forths with people that want to listen. This is not the case with you.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Bizzyb said:
I wouldn't say it's "scripted" but it's linear. you still have a bit of figuring out to do, and there ARE areas that you normally could get to before but now can b/c of an upgrade, esp those including the grapple beam and super missiles
well, they do exist, but they never did anything for me. chalk it up to everything from a poor sound design to uninteresting level design. you get to a new area, and yeah, there might be a new item, but you don't actually need that one extra-missile, the cool sound-effect is missing and the room is probably generic bottle-ship C.

like, in a Prime game sometimes you stumble across totally optional rooms with such amazing, unique architecture in them and a cool gameplay gimmick you'd not yet encountered, and those were the moments where my jaw would hit the floor, you know? even the little caches often had really cool, unique design. I don't know how they were able to do it. It's just so cool.

edit: I'm really inarticulate and grammatically challenged today, bear with me.

quadrax1s

Neo Member
i loved the backtracking in the prime games. if any series has done backtracking the correct way, metroid would be it. i like the idea of an open world free for you to explore, and just because you leave a place doesn't mean there's nothing left in it to see. the environments in prime 1 and 2 were interesting and nice to look at (for the most part) so backtracking never seemed tedious to me. at the end of the game i always feel so accomplished to see my map fully explored and the backtracking that i had to do only adds to that feeling. it's like i really know the place well when i'm done with the game.

Rez said:

Echoes is one of the greatest games ever so I never expected Other M to be as good. I still enjoyed it a lot for what it was. More of a straight ahead action game than an exploration game.

Ridley327

You need six energy cells to beat Prime 3. The game hands you four, including one at the beginning of the game and one that is literally right outside the Valhalla.

mantidor

Kard8p3 said:
http://screwattack.com/videos/TGO-Episode-40-Heavens-to-Metroid

Here's another video discussing the Other M controversy.

I appreciate their attempt to be funny, but I think we've already covered the "everyone had a different expectation of the character", it's true it's all in our heads, but that doesn't mean that what we got was an interesting character, at all. One thing doesn't imply the other.

And I disagree that replacing Adam for anything else would have made item finding better, the only way is to make her lose them all again at the beginning. It was a really stupid decision that basically broke the game, at least for me.

At the end of the day most people's problem with Other M isn't even the characterization, which is even more worrying.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ShockingAlberto said:
I think the Prime games have examples of some of the most egregious forms of backtracking

I.e. keys, dark pieces, energy cells
those being the exceptions in those games. granted, in my last playthrough of Echoes I managed to fall into the game's funnel at just the right angle and really naturally find all the dark keys in about half-an-hour, while finding a heap of other cool bonuses (ammo upgrades and energy upgrades), but I might have got lucky. I can see it being a nightmare if you're not sure what to look for or happen to get lost.

Ridley327 said:
You need six energy cells to beat Prime 3. The game hands you four, including one at the beginning of the game and one that is literally right outside the Valhalla.
The degree to which it uses this type of backtracking is not really my point.

KevinCow

Banned
Kard8p3 said:
http://screwattack.com/videos/TGO-Episode-40-Heavens-to-Metroid

Here's another video discussion the Other M controversy.

Ahahahaha, he literally busts out a strawman and then keeps arguing against those points anyway.

Protip, Game Underthinker (because I know you're probably reading this): The issue isn't that they gave Samus more definition to her character. The issue is that they did a really, really, really, really, really bad job at it and made her an extremely unlikeable one. Exactly why this is has been explained in detail over and over, but you apparently skipped over those parts (not to mention the parts where people described in detail what's wrong with the actual gameplay) because they didn't fit with your little idea that anybody who is disappointed in this game just hates new things.

Oh and by the way I think you missed the part where Nintendo decided to revive Metroid as a first-person shooter developed by a western studio with no track record in your little rant about games that have taken risks.

Kard8p3

KevinCow said:
Ahahahaha, he literally busts out a strawman and then keeps arguing against those points anyway.

Protip, Game Underthinker (because I know you're probably reading this): The issue isn't that they gave Samus more definition to her character. The issue is that they did a really, really, really, really, really bad job at it and made her an extremely unlikeable one. Exactly why this is has been explained in detail over and over, but you apparently skipped over those parts (not to mention the parts where people described in detail what's wrong with the actual gameplay) because they didn't fit with your little idea that anybody who is disappointed in this game just hates new things.

Oh and by the way I think you missed the part where Nintendo decided to revive Metroid as a first-person shooter developed by a western studio with no track record in your little rant about games that have taken risks.

I disagree but to each his own. The story itself is poorly written but I have no problem with her character.

When it comes to the gameplay the only problem I have with the game is the where's waldo sections. Beyond that I love the gameplay but once again to each his own.

Top Bottom