• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Tathanen said:
I am only partially certain of this as I glossed over it pretty quickly, but yes there are multiple audio tracks, but they're like, Spanish and French or something. Definitely no Japanese in there.

wat wat wat?

You mean SUB tracks no?
As, you read spanish or french subs with the english audio.

Are you playing the american one or the european version?

farnham

Banned
slaughterking said:
Hum? I don't understand what you're trying to say. That last sentence seems particularly fishy.
super paper mario is good. thats what im trying to say. (i was assuming the abomination is super paper mario)

Ushojax said:
Let's not pretend that games magazines/sites use the full scale. There is no difference between 60 and 0 most of the time. A 73% from most publications means they think it a pretty ordinary game, though I don't understand how anyone can call a review accurate or inaccurate until playing the game themselves.

I'm not pretending anything, in fact I'm agreeing with you. I'm demonstrating why the score standard is so lopsided.

farnham said:
super paper mario is good. thats what im trying to say. (i was assuming the abomination is super paper mario)
I know, I was just pulling your leg. :p

I'm not sure what that Alpha Dream and handheld Paper Mario/Mario&Luigi remark was about, though.

farnham

Banned
slaughterking said:

I'm not sure what that Alpha Dream and handheld Paper Mario/Mario&Luigi remark was about, though.
Oh that was just daydreaming (TOMATO ADVENTURE 2 ?)

GrotesqueBeauty said:
For the love of God, can someone with a review copy please confirm whether you can switch between Japanese and English audio tracks? I had given up hope, but now I don't know what to think.

I'll check the european version right away. Hold on.

Boney

Banned
slaughterking said:

I think it was like, what is Alpha Dreams doing now that Paper Mario has gone handheld...

who knows really...

FoxHimself said:
Nope. There's no way to change the spoken language in the european version. Only text and subtitles (italian, german, spanish, english, french).
Bummer. Guess I'm stuck with defense force Samus. Thanks for double checking.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
SpacePirate Ridley said:
wat wat wat?

You mean SUB tracks no?
As, you read spanish or french subs with the english audio.

Are you playing the american one or the european version?

American version.

And yeah like I said I'm not certain, but I know the subtitle option was either "on" or "off." It seems silly for the language option to have been for subtitle language with subtitles as a separate toggle, but.... I dunno! I can check when I get home from work if no one clarifies via their own copy before then.

_Alkaline_ said:
I'm not pretending anything, in fact I'm agreeing with you. I'm demonstrating why the score standard is so lopsided.

It's lopsided in the favor of AAA games by beloved companies of beloved franchises with lots of hype and a lot of marketing... aka this game.

Guevara

Mr. B Natural said:
It's lopsided in the favor of AAA games by beloved companies of beloved franchises with lots of hype and a lot of marketing... aka this game.

Interesting, so you are saying the scores are artificially inflated because of the series' illustrious history. I would argue if anything the scores would be artificially low because reviewers can't help but compare this game to Super Metroid et al.

gogojira

Has anyone confirmed if whether or not we can skip cutscenes on the second time around? I love Metroid Fusion and all, but the forced cutscenes often kill off my desire to play through it again.

Hah! They actually added a small part explaining the thumbs up/down thing. I actually wrote that down in their little "tell us what you think" book at the london event as one of the things I found silly. :lol

There's a ton of cut scenes as we already know, but I really like them thus far. Samus' voice actor still sucks, but the rest of the gang sounds pretty good.

Spike

Just wanted to say that my local mom and pop shop has got the game. They haven't decided if they're going to start selling it right away. Start checking your sources as I'm sure some store will probably break the street date.

SpokkX

FoxHimself said:
Nope. There's no way to change the spoken language in the european version. Only text and subtitles (italian, german, spanish, english, french).

can you change the ingame music volume independently from the sound effects volume? The music seems to play at quite a low volume in all the movies I have seen

Spike said:
Just wanted to say that my local mom and pop shop has got the game. They haven't decided if they're going to start selling it right away. Start checking your sources as I'm sure some store will probably break the street date.

Man that just sucks. Their aren't any mom/pop shops in NE Ohio.

.la1n

Door2Dawn said:

what.gif

Boney

Banned
SloppehSlawlz said:
I wonder if Samus has ever been penetrated.
it's pretty graphic, but it's certainly a valid complain..

edit: I mean, it would definately change the character if she were a virgin or not, but it's still rude as hell to say that, even if the character is fictional.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
SpokkX said:
can you change the ingame music volume independently from the sound effects volume? The music seems to play at quite a low volume in all the movies I have seen

You can't change any volumes at all, no.

And really it's fine, I've never felt like the music was "too quiet," the soundscape in this game is very deliberate. Maybe the mixing in those videos is just jacked up.

MNC

That's a pretty odd review. So is there a bit where you cannot backtrack and he thusly got stuck in the game he had to reset his save? o_o

Hiltz

Yeah, Infendo's review gave Other M a 3 out of 4 score. The reviewer admits that he only spent 5 hours playing what is a reportedly a 15 hour game.

Here's the summary:

+ Fantastic detailed graphics and lighting. He claims it is one of the best looking titles on Wii.

+ Fantastic music. No detailed explaination beyond the mention of Wii remote speaker support during save points.

+ Well polished and slick camera system.

+ Intuitive, responsive controls.

- Switching to First-person mode makes you a "sitting duck" due to the slow process when facing larger enemies and bosses.

- Samus's character is ruined. She's a "whiny, soul searching, rebellious, and insecure teenager with a daddy complex."

- Lengthy, unskippable cut scenes

- Bad voice acting

? - According to this reviewer, he had a lot of trouble finding his way back on to the main quest path whenever he goes off exploring.Whether this is an actual issue with the level design or his incompetence remains unknown.

I have a fear that Nintendo and Team Ninja may potentially screw up Samus Aran's character. First of all, neither of them are used to this kind of serious side of story telling with seemingly heavy dialogue. Secondly, just by how the game uses the word "baby" over and over again, that alone raises a red flag. I just hope Sakamoto knows what he's doing.

farnham

Banned
Hiltz said:
Yeah, Infendo's review gave Other M a 3 out of 4 score. The reviewer admits that he only spent 5 hours playing what is a reportedly a 15 hour game.

Here's the summary:

+ Fantastic detailed graphics and lighting. He claims it is one of the best looking titles on Wii.

+ Fantastic music. No detailed explaination beyond the mention of Wii remote speaker support during save points.

+ Well polished and slick camera system.

+ Intuitive, responsive controls.

- Switching to First-person mode makes you a "sitting duck" due to the slow process when facing larger enemies and bosses.

- Samus's character is ruined. She's a "whiny, soul searching, teenager with a daddy complex."

- Lengthy, unskippable cut scenes

- Bad voice acting

? - According to this reviewer, he had a lot of trouble finding his way back on to the main quest path whenever he goes off exploring.Whether this is an actual issue with the level design or his incompetence remains unknown.

I have a fear that Nintendo and Team Ninja may potentially screw up Samus Aran's character. First of all, neither of them are used to this kind of serious side of story telling with seemingly heavy dialogue. Secondly, just by how the game uses the word "baby" over and over again, that alone raises a red flag. I just hope Sakamoto knows what he's doing.

its from a small nintendo fansite so i guess its not that trustworthy. also he didnt even finished the game

but still i have the feeling that this game will not get good reviews.

farnham

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Just so we're clear before the game releases, who here actually thinks the cut scenes will add more to the experience than they take away?
i think they wont add anything and i also dont think that they will take away anything

im neutral towards it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Only played 5 hours when there's nothing bad enough to force that kind of abandonment?

Review nullified from existence. Nothing to see here, move along.

Hiltz

farnham said:
its from a small nintendo fansite so i guess its not that trustworthy. also he didnt even finished the game

Yeah, I'm not that familiar with Infendo.

hatchx

Banned
farnham said:

I'm guessing it's average on metacritic will be in the low 80s.

This is definitely an oddball of a game, and I think will stick out as an oddball in the Metroid series. That is probably why I'm so excited.

Top Bottom