• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Kad5 said:
The more I look at this game the more apparent it seems that this game is essentially the equivalent of a Metroid movie.

I think this game may be the closest thing we get to a metroid movie.

This isn't a bad thing and in a way makes me more excited to play it.
Totally. They should make a commercial with just parts of the opening cutscene and everyone will be interested in it.

Boney

Banned
mantidor said:
She just survived her second fight with Ridley, not to mention almost exterminated an entire species, and she narrowly scaped from a self destructing planet, and not just any planet, it was the planet she grew up in. Samus being all doubtful and hesitant and moody at that point simply doesn't make sense.
You're forgetting the point that it's about human interactions.

fireside

mantidor said:
She just survived her second fight with Ridley, not to mention almost exterminated an entire species, and she narrowly scaped from a self destructing planet, and not just any planet, it was the planet she grew up in. Samus being all doubtful and hesitant and moody at that point simply doesn't make sense.
But the baby!

Penguin

mantidor said:

I thought, and could be wrong, most of the cutscenes dealing with her personality were before she became the solo bounty hunter?

At least of the videos I've seen.

Diffense

Cutscenes can enhance a game when well placed and weighted.
I know that playing for the cutscene reward and the end of each chapter kept me chipping at NES Ninja Gaiden.

The cutscene showing the baby metroid attack Samus in Super Metroid or how it intervened against Mother Brain enhanced the game, IMO, despite taking control from my hands.
Should I believe that because they'll now have higher production values they'll be a liability?

Nontheless, I can't make a judgement because I haven't played the game.
However, ~2 hours of cinematics distributed throughout a 15-20 hour experience doesn't sound oppressive to me.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Okay I checked, my bad, there's only English audio. Spanish and French just change all the text. Makes more sense, what with the "we had to cut out seconds to fit everything on the disk" comments.

Diffense said:
Cutscenes can enhance a game when well placed and weighted.
I know that playing for the cutscene reward and the end of each chapter kept me chipping at NES Ninja Gaiden.

The cutscene showing the baby metroid attack Samus in Super Metroid or how it intervened against Mother Brain enhanced the game, IMO, despite taking control from my hands.
Should I believe that because they'll now have higher production values they'll be a liability?

Nontheless, I can't make a judgement because I haven't played the game.
However, ~2 hours of cinematics distributed throughout a 15-20 hour experience doesn't sound oppressive to me.
We probably agree that cutscenes are not inherently positive or negative. The scenes you mentioned in Return of Samus and Super Metroid are not actually cutscenes at all though. They occur in the exact same context as everything else that happens in those games, which both maintain a consistent format from beginning to end, bookmarked only by a set up and resolution. Putting that aside though, a great part of their impact comes from the fact that the games are not heavy on the narrative, which gives the few moments when the turn their focus in that direction greater poignancy.

Not sure where you got the idea that I was suggesting "higher production values" would "be a liability". It's wholly dependent on where the focus goes.

mantidor

I just thought that this would be so much better if it was Adam being the narrator. He would remember the time Samus was young, how she was determined to get to the top but with certain sadness in her, a couple of moments she broke down with him, and then the contrast with the person they find in the station, how cold and aloof she seems, and then give the cutscene with another break down or revelation of Samus with Adam.

It's not exactly what I would like, but it would at least allow Sakamoto to fullfill this "daddy" fantasy he has with Samus, and it wouldn't be as cringe inducing as what we are getting.

Boney

Banned
Gravijah said:
In IGN we trust.
it's a 3.0

ripped straight from God Hand.

mantidor said:
I just thought that this would be so much better if it was Adam being the narrator. He would remember the time Samus was young, how she was determined to get to the top but with certain sadness in her, a couple of moments she broke down with him, and then the contrast with the person they find in the station, how cold and aloof she seems, and then give the cutscene with another break down or revelation of Samus with Adam.

It's not exactly what I would like, but it would at least allow Sakamoto to fullfill this "daddy" fantasy he has with Samus, and it wouldn't be as cringe inducing as what we are getting.
She doesn't break down on people does she? She bottles up inside.

mantidor said:

Yes, but tell me, why do you hate freedom?

mantidor

Boney said:

Well by break down I don't mean something like a corny scene with Samus crying in Adam's shoulder, but something more subtle. These people are from a military group they aren't going to actually "break down", they all are going to act tough all the time, just a smile is enough to show they dropped their defenses.

Poyunch

Boney said:
Oh so the Bottle Ship is an allegory for Samus' emotions. And and it's breaking down due to her past just like her emotional state. I GET IT!!!

Poyunch

AceBandage said:
Robots don't have emotions...
33fgntf.jpg

XenoRaven

mantidor said:
Well by break down I don't mean something like a corny scene with Samus crying in Adam's shoulder, but something more subtle. These people are from a military group they aren't going to actually "break down", they all are going to act tough all the time, just a smile is enough to show they dropped their defenses.
At least in anime world.

hatchx

Banned
nincompoop said:
IGN won't give it above a 6.0 if it doesn't have Mii integration.

I'm going to guess an 8.5 or 9.0 from IGN.

If they give it an 8.0, which is quite possible, I predict a lot of tears.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
hatchx said:
I'm going to guess an 8.5 or 9.0 from IGN.

If they give it an 8.0, which is quite possible, I predict a lot of tears.

I'm guessing a 7.8

For some reason it just sounds right.

ASIS

The_Technomancer said:
Instincts are telling me 8.5 from IGN, 8.0 from GameSpot, B or B+ from 1up.
That's what I think. But I hope the game pulls through with AAA ratings across all three sites.

Yeah, I'm worried about how long my copy will take to ship from Amazon. I've been doing a good job on media blackout, but it's going to be a lot harder to avoid spoilers on the message boards as the floodgates open.

edit: I pre-ordered on July 6th and right now it's showing a shipping estimate of September 7th and delivery on the 14th. :|

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
PounchEnvy said:
Well they stopped using a grading system like that. It'd be either a 7.5 or an 8.

Oh. I guess I'm out of touch. I'd round up to an 8, then, which I'm guessing will be the average type of score for this. It's not really a big deal to me either way but it's something to help pass the time until I can actually play the game myself.

FoxHimself said:
I just met the cutest and at the same time most evil looking little rabbit/chicken/moogle thing though - can't wait to see what that cut scene was all about
(it was playing around and stumbling and being totally adorable and then WHAM! EVIL STAAAARE)
I just found the part you were referring to in a youtube playthrough. it was soooo cute!
Then it gives you that EVIL STARE
...Lol i'll keep a watch on that guy's channle just to see what the hell was that foreshadowing.

seady

IGN Craig seems to hate the game a lot. Don't expect anything more than 7.5
Also IGN Nintendo is the only IGN site that don't guarantee hyped games of their platform a 9+ score, unlike their 360 and PS3 site any hyped games from their channel are guarantee 9+ score regardless of quality.

Top Bottom