• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

LowParry

I didn't really find it cringe worthy, just unnecessary. Metroid really isn't a series you should infuse with Japanese tropes, yet from the little footage I've seen from this game, it seems to be loaded with them.

The defiance is in me! Cringe worthy!

2cnbk35.jpg

Lost Fragment said:
Post-game spoilers:

Wow, Phantoon. Awesome. Did not expect that. The boss fights are the best part of this game.

I'm liking the post-game "get shit you missed during the main game" stuff a lot. Feels a lot more like Metroid.
Wait until the
ending sequence.
It pretty much solidifies its Metroid lineage. =)

Red

I was expecting far worse from the cutscenes and acting based on others' impressions. It's not nearly as bad as some of you described.

Might be because my expectations were so low, but I'm really loving it so far. Best game I've played in a while.

Boney

Banned
Ok, love it. Cutscenes are cool, dialogue is a bit stilted but it works ok. Love the visual style, controls are responsive, loving it. Going on away from the thread now guys. We'll talk when I finish it.

JohngPR

Kaijima said:
Actually, the idea for using the wiimote to switch to first person DID come from Team Ninja. They did a tech demo of it to show Sakamoto and it convinced him it was feasible as a way to work first person aiming / puzzles in while not violating the feel of playing the game with a NES pad he was going for.

For my money, I thought it was brilliant the first time I saw it.

No matter how good or bad the game really plays with that mechanic though, some people are inherently going to refuse to accept breaking such a paradigm is legitimate. Different = bad design and that's that.

That's not the way Team Ninja remembers it.

Hayashi- First off, Sakamoto-san said 'I want to create a Metroid game that can be played with just one Wii Remote controller'. I didn't really understand what he meant.

MrMephistoX

Crunched said:
You know what, I've been playing since I got home, and I really like it. Much better than Corruption, IMO, even the voice acting and story. The only part that's bugging me is Samus's monologue- those parts are laughably bad. It's not her VA, it's the script. It's flat out terrible :lol

Everything else is pretty damn good, I'm really digging it. A lot of fun so far.

Yeah I don't find that hard to believe: Prime was a tour de force but Corruption and Echoes not so much.

From what I demoed so far I'm sold if only because I was expecting the controls to be complete shit based on whinning so my expectations were exceeded.

JohngPR

So far so good, the boss fights are fun & I'm not having nearly as much trouble with the FPS stuff as some people have described. It never goes into first person when I don't want it too, it although it takes some getting used to, it hasn't killed the game for me yet.

Right now I'm at the point where you fought
those twin monsters with the long tail that grabs you.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
JohngPR said:
That's not the way Team Ninja remembers it.

Hayashi- First off, Sakamoto-san said 'I want to create a Metroid game that can be played with just one Wii Remote controller'. I didn't really understand what he meant.

Then I was misinformed. I recall a couple of quotes from sometime before E3 2010 that seemed to say it was Team Ninja who came up with the orientation-switching tied to viewpoint. Of course, if those quotes were true, Sakamoto may have been the one to insist on using the wiimote only in the first place; TN came up with the actual mechanic. But I dunno.

JohngPR

Kaijima said:
Then I was misinformed. I recall a couple of quotes from sometime before E3 2010 that seemed to say it was Team Ninja who came up with the orientation-switching tied to viewpoint. Of course, if those quotes were true, Sakamoto may have been the one to insist on using the wiimote only in the first place; TN came up with the actual mechanic. But I dunno.

Yep, apparently Sakamato's idea for Other M was to create an NES Metroid game using today's technology, hence the control scheme.

Just gotta get a crummy Gamestop experience off my chest first. So I preordered the game last week, dude was friendly, assured me the game would be here today and that I'd get the Art Folio (which is sweet but I had to stop looking at it because it spoils some of the levels). Believe it or not, I've never had any pre-order problems with Gamestop or issues in general with the employees both here and the store back in my hometown. Until today.

Girl is working there, talked to her before, she always seems out of it. I walk up to the counter and she ignores me, doesn't bother to say "Hi, I'll be with you" while she apparently tags a bunch of other pre-orders behind the counter. Normally this wouldn't bother me too much but this is my lunch break, there's only one other person in the store besides me and I gotta grab my game, get grub and haul butt back to the office. After a few min she walks up, still not saying hi. So I have to start and say "Hi, I'm here for my Metroid Other M pre-order." She verifies the pre-order with my cell #, rings up my credit card and puts the game down and stares at me expecting me to just sign, take it and leave. Doesn't hand me the art folio. So before I sign, I politely say "There's a pre-order bonus with this...." To which she kind of rolls her eyes and sarcastically says "Oh yeah, I forgot about that." She then coldly walks back to the store room, walks back out and then instead of simply putting it down, while looking right at me proceeds to toss the art folio on top of the game! I was so ticked off, I signed the receipt, grabbed my stuff and said "Uh, yeah. Hope your day goes better for you" and left. While I was eating in my car, the only other person who was in the store comes out, I flagged him down and asked him if he'd talked to her and he said "Yeah I was here picking up my own pre-order, she wasn't friendly at all." So I call today, talk to one of the asst managers, he totally agreed it was rude but I will need to talk to the head mgr who isn't back until Monday, and sadly enough the girl is an asst mgr herself which makes me want to file a complaint even more than I did before. I've never been treated this badly at a retail store before, I'm seriously willing to wait until Monday otherwise I may even try calling Gamestop corporate.

Anyways, just started playing the game (work was awful today waiting to go home and play this was bad enough besides the bad experience picking it up), just got done talking to Adam and my old "friends." I really like it so far, haven't had any major issues with the controls, everything in the demo room felt smooth. The cut scenes don't bother much at all so far and the Mother Brain fight recreation absolutely popped on my plasma. Time to dig in some more.

Teknoman

Is it just me or were the people who were streaming before release day playing a different build? There were no shadows in their gameplay streams, but in retail Samus has a shadow.

Also
wasnt there an accel charge in the first bathroom stall
?

AzureNightmare said:
Haters are gonna hate.

Fuck the haters, and fuck the trolls. I love this game and anyone who can't see the pure genius of this game is blind.

AzureNightmare
Banned

You get banned for saying that in the OT at the release day? Ok...

CaVaYeRo

another 8/10 from my colleague:

http://www.revogamers.net/analisis/metroid-other-m-689/1.html
(in Spanish)

He had a great time. Almost
15 hours
to 100%. He enjoyed the presentation, story and progressive exploration elements, but not so much the 1st person in some combats and the mandatory clues and simple puzzles, with less map and less secrets.

Oh, I'm interviewing Sakamoto-san tomorrow! I'll tell you when I'm back ;)
if I'm not able to buy the game before! :lol

Kard8p3

Teknoman said:
Is it just me or were the people who were streaming before release day playing a different build? There were no shadows in their gameplay streams, but in retail Samus has a shadow.

Also
wasnt there an accel charge in the first bathroom stall
?

nope there's a second one a little later and it has the accel charge.

edit: beaten

Koodo

Banned
The controls are not easy to get used to, but FUUUCK. The sense move and overblast are divine.

P.s.: anyone having problems with overblast, just press 2 twice.

mantidor

CaVaYeRo said:
Oh, I'm interviewing Sakamoto-san tomorrow!

Ask him how does it feel to ruin one of the greatest video game characters of all time.

Ok don't ask him that, at least not in those words. :lol

CaVaYeRo said:
Oh, I'm interviewing Sakamoto-san tomorrow!

Ask him why he chose to
rehash fusion's story and nullify all of the impact the events of that game had. Serious, secret metroid lab again?

Game is pretty cool so far. Controls are perfect.

I do want to say, for those weirded out by the sentai-like transformation at the beginning of the game, the exact same thing happens in the Japanese Super Metroid commercial.

Thoraxes

KittenMaster said:
Game is pretty cool so far. Controls are perfect.

I do want to say, for those weirded out by the sentai-like transformation at the beginning of the game, the exact same thing happens in the Japanese Super Metroid commercial.

I'm about two hours in so-far, and I too feel this way.
It's an enjoyable game.

mantidor

KittenMaster said:

I think that was more about the limitations in animation at the time that Nintendo actually using magical girl transformation, for me that one was clearly the armor putting itself together, but not magically.

careksims

So far it's neat. I miss the sense of mystery or exploration. I know ppl say its linear, but geeze.

Can hardly remember any of the music! Hopefully that changes as I go deeper. And you guys are right. No old melody when you get items :( :( :(

Controls are kinda there. Still getting use to changing the position of the Wiimote. I don't like the morph ball button on A. Certainly could use an extra button. I miss the 4 button layout.

Don't like how you have to replenish missiles and health.... especially the health.

Will keep playing later tonight. I don't need to rush it.

mantidor said:
Ask him how does it feel to ruin one of the greatest video game characters of all time.

Ok don't ask him that, at least not in those words. :lol

I will say, I can't remember the last time GAF turned so hard against a big name franchise that ACTUALLY took a risk. I won't even get started on the hypocrisy that abounds in this thread, but I will say this...

How many Halo, Mario, Metroid, and Zelda games do we play that are exactly the same? Would you have preferred this was more like Twilight Princess? I don't know about you guys, but I'm at the point in my life where I'm pretty damn happy with the modernization of classic franchises we've seen in the past 10 years --- INCLUDING the Prime series. In other words, I've experienced those rebirths. They've been done and DONE well. It's now time to move past that. After all, where's the fun when you already know the gameplay, know the sound effects, know the music, and know the story before you even power the game on??

Think for a moment about a major AAA franchise that you've played that threw you for as much of a loop as Other M has. Can't, can you? Why do you think that is? Because major studios aren't allowed to take risks! Nintendo is one of the few that does, and for that I commend them. Major gameplay changes to classic formulas produce the kind of reaction we've seen on GAF this week. It can potentially lead to catastrophic failure, but more often than not, the best developers take the biggest risks -- and sometimes it works. When they do, we finally get new genres (Grand Theft Auto) and new play mechanics that we've never experienced ever before (Other M, Mario Galaxy). To those developers I say - AMEN brotha.

Is everyone going to like the risks the developers took with Other M? Fuck no -- of course not. But to slam Sakamoto for actually taking this franchise beyond its traditional boundaries, which Retro was afraid to push (I know, first person was a big deal at the time), is pure unadulterated lunacy. The best franchises take the BIGGEST risks, and are often initially scolded for doing so. Don't believe me? Just look how far the tide has turned on Wind Waker.

What do I think? I say CONGRATS to Sakamoto and Team Ninja for mixing it up. Good story, bad story -- whatever. Bottom line is it's a new take on a classic franchise I adore. I actually have had to learn how to play the game, which is a welcome feeling that I rarely experience these days.

If I just wanted to play Super Metroid or Metroid Prime again I'd just pop 'em in and replay them.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I haven't played it yet outside of my demo at Comic Con, but I will say that the thought of using the Nunchuk....just doesn't seem right. IMO it would feel far too loose and "out of control" given Samus' movement style for my tastes, and I really thought that the D-pad felt great.

Superblatt said:
I will say, I can't remember the last time GAF turned so hard against a big name franchise that ACTUALLY took a risk. I won't even get started on the hypocrisy that abounds in this thread, but I will say this...

How many Halo, Mario, Metroid, and Zelda games do we play that are exactly the same? Would you have preferred this was more like Twilight Princess? I don't know about you guys, but I'm at the point in my life where I'm pretty damn happy with the modernization of classic franchises we've seen in the past 10 years --- INCLUDING the Prime series. In other words, I've experienced those rebirths. They've been done and DONE well. It's now time to move past that. After all, where's the fun when you already know the gameplay, know the sound effects, know the music, and know the story before you even power the game on??

Think for a moment about a major AAA franchise that you've played that threw you for as much of a loop as Other M has. Can't, can you? Why do you think that is? Because major studios aren't allowed to take risks! Nintendo is one of the few that does, and for that I commend them. Major gameplay changes to classic formulas produce the kind of reaction we've seen on GAF this week. It can potentially lead to catastrophic failure, but more often than not, the best developers take the biggest risks -- and sometimes it works. When they do, we finally get new genres (Grand Theft Auto) and new play mechanics that we've never experienced ever before (Other M, Mario Galaxy). To those developers I say - AMEN brotha.

Is everyone going to like the risks the developers took with Other M? Fuck no -- of course not. But to slam Sakamoto for actually taking this franchise beyond its traditional boundaries, which Retro was afraid to push, is pure unadulterated lunacy. The best franchises take the BIGGEST risks, and are often initially scolded for doing so. Don't believe me? Just look how far the tide has turned on Wind Waker.

What do I think? I say CONGRATS to Sakamoto and Team Ninja for mixing it up. Good story, bad story -- whatever. Bottom line is it's a new take on franchise I adore. I actually have had to learn how to play the game, which is a welcome feeling that I rarely experience these days.

If I just wanted to play Super Metroid or Metroid Prime again I'd just pop 'em in and replay them.

In case anyone missed it.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Superblatt said:
I will say, I can't remember the last time GAF turned so hard against a big name franchise that ACTUALLY took a risk.

Agreed on congratulating Sakamoto and Nintendo for taking a risk on par with the risk they took revamping the series into Metroid Prime. It takes balls to do that, no question.

However, I'd say their risk failed on every level in Other M, and I really, really hope they take the series in a wholly different direction next time. At the very least, if they absolutely have to keep the view-switching, allow us to use the Classic Controller so we're not constantly being reminded we're playing a game. There's nothing inherently wrong with the gameplay concept, but flipping the Wiimote back and forth is absolutely awful.

Change for change's sake is no better than stagnation. Metroid didn't need obsessive linearity, an ensemble cast and anime tropes injected into it. Nintendo needs to go back and study what they did in Prime and figure out what makes Metroid Metroid, because they clearly forgot while making Other M.

kinggroin

Banned
dark10x said:
The brightness level in the game is clearly not set properly.

I can turn up brightness, but my setup is finely tuned for accuracy and quality. The Wii was not a priority for me, when it came to video quality, but this kind of stuff is pretty annoying. Turning up the brightness raises the black level, which isn't acceptable.

Must say, I've had no such issues here. Of course, each input is independently configured, and the Wii's input didn't need to be adjusted past it's initial setting for this game. You guys on a digital display or what? I have mine in the bedroom Sony HS420.

*shrugs

Just got and it's okay....Not amazin but okay. It's fun and feels good but I'd be lying if I didn't wish that they would just went with the nunchuck but atleast it doesn't have unneeded waggle.
The first person mode is a bit lame but only because i didn't really get it (I though that you could only shoot missiles and not your regular beam...so yeah was getting destroyed rather quickly) but I can see it causing pain later on.

I died on the first boss because I had no clue wtf I was doing and still I have no clue how I triggered it but yeah.

It's fun and I will beat it ( hopefully) and it's nowhere as bad as some people have said. It's flawed and the cutscenes are pretty bad ( the thumbs down explanation is just ....wow) but not the worst ever.

I like it.

Diortem7

Hey could someone help me. I'm stuck in first person view because I don't know what I'm suppose to be looking at.
It's when everyone is looking at Lyle's dead body.

Edit: Nevermind I got it.

This game is ready for me to pick up today from Gamestop.

The downside? My 2 FUCKING month old TV decided it didn't want to turn on anymore on Saturday. Starting to not like Samsung...

Hit power. Click sound. 10 seconds later, click sound. That's all it does. Repair guy came yesterday. I described it to them exactly, so they should already know what parts they need to fix it (apparently this issue is caused by capacitors going out). Nope! All he said is he'll order the parts and will be back next tuesday.

2 fucking months old, and I have to wait a week and a half for it to get fixed.

The saddest part is I can fix the fucking issue myself at a cost of 20 bucks, but if I do it the TV will go out of warranty. Don't want a $3000 TV to go out of warranty...

It's a Samsung 8000 series TV, BTW.

AniHawk

Bought it for $35 at Best Buy, then went to Gamestop to cancel my preorder and got the artfolio. Fuck yeah.

I just moved the preorder to Golden Sun 3 and I had worked with the guy for over 2 years.

I always thought this game was going to be either really awesome or really awful. Here's my take after a few hours - I love it. It's not traditional Metroid, no, but it's really awesome in its own way. Sure, the music could be better (too ambient and quiet too often) and the cutscenes can have some atrocious attempt at story (thus far), but the game plays awesome, I love the action and the feel of the new gameplay. Kudos for something different, I like the new take on Metroid. Sure, Prime is better but this is great for what it is! Refreshing.

Top Bottom