• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Threi

notag
also, there are some elements in the game that make me think of SMG (even the boss battles)

specifically their structure. Shoot em up a bit, they get mad and roar (and shake the screen), start to get more aggressive and the music tenses up.

after some of them i was half expecting a power star to pop out :lol

scitek said:
My thoughts were that Adam's a high ranking military officer, and he knows strategy. She's a fucking drop out, why should she be in charge because she blew open a door?

SHE'S A BOUNTY HUNTER THOUGH! She killed Mother Brain. TWICE! Killed Ridley twice. Stopped multiple metroids and metroid variants. I know she respects Adam and all (I really, really wish the script was less "duh and that's why that happened" and was much more subtle), but she is feared by the Space Pirates. She should have some goddamn respect.

Salsa

Threi said:
also, there are some elements in the game that make me think of SMG (even the boss battles)

specifically their structure. Shoot em up a bit, they get mad and roar (and shake the screen), start to get more aggressive and the music tenses up.

Yeah, attack patterns are also crystal clear. First few bosses didnt touched me but not because the game is easy, but because it makes a good job in making you find out what to do.
The lava creature, i immediatly knew that i needed to freeze him and then shoot a missile at the frozen part, and that was referenced pretty early in the game, almost forgot about it. It was fluid and didnt felt tacked on

Threi

notag
SalsaShark said:
Yeah, attack patterns are also crystal clear. First few bosses didnt touched me but not because the game is easy, but because it makes a good job in making you find out what to do.
The lava creature, i immediatly knew that i needed to freeze him and then shoot a missile at the frozen part, and that was referenced pretty early in the game, almost forgot about it.
you shot it? lol i ran up its arm and shot it in the face like a REAL MAN

PhoenixSFT said:
SHE'S A BOUNTY HUNTER THOUGH! She killed Mother Brain. TWICE! Killed Ridley twice. Stopped multiple metroids and metroid variants. I know she respects Adam and all (I really, really wish the script was less "duh and that's why that happened" and was much more subtle), but she is feared by the Space Pirates. She should have some goddamn respect.

She was on her own that entire time though...was she to proceed to nearly destroy the planet (like she has done so many times before) without ensuring the safety of that task force she <insert better plot point than interacting with said task force here>?

Osuwari

Threi said:

the part that made me think of mario galaxy was the
inverted gravity corridor
but yeah, that boss reminded me of
king kaliente
when i replayed the game.

Salsa

Threi said:
you shot it? lol i ran up its arm and shot it in the face like a REAL MAN

LOL, you are right, was thinking about another creature :lol :lol

point still stands though.

Also more like a real WOMAN, you sexist monster.

PhoenixSFT said:
The military chain of command exists so a soldier that thinks they're talented does not get everyone killed.

Loving it. Only gripe so far is when you enter an area and they force you into first person so you can search for a needle in a haystack.

I feel that I'm getting really close toward the end now. I have to say that the first few hours and the end game are amazing. Got slightly bored during the middle part. The
Ice World
kinda sucks.

And I think the game is too easy on normal.

Threi said:
re: the unlock system

I really don't see why it's that big of a deal. She is a former soldier, why the hell should she just go on the planet and wreak havoc on her own? Adam asked for her cooperation, and she complied. Adam feels that the cooperation of all the parties present on the ship are imperative for the survival of everyone, that's why he asked that Samus follow all his orders. That sounds pretty believable to me, and makes a lot more sense than "oh hey here's a weapon sitting on a chozo statue in the middle of the room custom fitted for samus aran, that nobody cared enough to actually observe it and just left it alone".

Admittedly though there are some "fuck you adam let me use my <insert upgrade here>" parts though :lol

The
Power Bomb
is the only weapon where it makes sense. They should have come up with a better explanation or just resort to good old power up pick ups all the way. The
Lava area
was especially stupid. "Oh, I'm getting hurt but I'll rather wait for Adam to authorize it, lol". And it's not like the
Grappling hook
would hurt anyone! Not really a big deal for me though.

Now, granted, while I don't like Samus' characterization so far, I am enjoying the game. Once the training wheels are off and you start to get a hang of the dodging and first person (which is still kinda awkward), it does feel like a more action packed Metroid. Though the powerups are indicated on the map (as they were in previous iterations!), there are a lot where you can see the powerup, then you take a little bit of time trying to figure out how the hell to get to it.

Also, enemies hit hard. Even in normal.

Originally Posted by colon:
Mine doesn't read it either. If you get the lens cleaner please post whether or not it worked for you.

Air Zombie Meat said:
It's because the game is on a dual layer DVD. Some Wii's (mainly launch models i think) just won't read them due to a crappy drive. I have the same problem :( Would like to hear if the lens cleaner works too.

After it updated my Wii, the system resets and I click on the Other M "channel".
Instead of starting the game, it reset my Wii again.
Then when it restarted, it wasn't reading the disc immediately. I got worried but eventually the ol' girl pulled thru and I was able to start the game.

Threi

notag
well you know, i'm sure a quick "i intercepted the SOS signal, i have no idea why you guys are here, i have no idea why i'm here but i will have to ask you to get the fuck off this ship immediately before i destroy everything within" would have worked as well. at least then we would have a genuine metroid experience (tm)

scitek

PhoenixSFT said:

But she did all that on her own, she has no clue how to MANAGE a team. To show up out of nowhere and undermine Adam by taking control would completely go against her feelings of respect toward him.

EDIT: And the Space Pirates are extinct.

ChoklitReign said:
How does the $20 credit work? I put 2 games including Metroid in my Amazon cart but there's no discount.

You get the credit 2 days after the game ships. There is no discount on the game for buying it. It's on a future game purchase.

Osuwari said:
the part that made me think of mario galaxy was the
inverted gravity corridor

Yup, I thought the same exact thing. I was actually hoping for more, but it was nice while it lasted.

And yes, I definitely can't wait to fight
Ridley and Nightmare on hard mode. Good times ahead!

Gravijah said:
so uhhh

does it suck
You'll be sucked.

Poyunch

Gravijah said:
so uhhh

does it suck
So far it seems okay but I can see why you could see the opening as a bit sexist. I mean in no way do I think it is but there's a certain scene where if you didn't know the context of it would probably seem a bit sexist.

jman2050

PhoenixSFT said:

itt people don't know what being contracted for work actually means.

Az987

all good things
Air Zombie Meat said:
It's because the game is on a dual layer DVD. Some Wii's (mainly launch models i think) just won't read them due to a crappy drive. I have the same problem :( Would like to hear if the lens cleaner works too.

shit, I have a launch Wii. Oh well guess I'll know tomorrow if it works.

Az987 said:

If you can play Smash Bros Brawl or Metroid Prime trilogy on it you should be fine. Those are the only other games I know of that use a dual layer dvd. Neither work on mine. I think I'm just going to have to suck it up and buy a new wii for this game :(

Game sounds pretty cool from what I'm reading here though.

Kard8p3

Az987 said:

Do you have smash bros brawl or the prime trilogy? Those are both dual layered games so if those work on your wii then Other M should too.

Edit: Beaten

Kard8p3

On the site you Go to for Nintendo news they just posted and official PR from Nintendo about the history of the metroid franchise. In it nintendo has the prime series listed as a separate series of games so I guess the prime games are no longer placed between Metroid and Metroid 2.

donkey show said:
The only problem I've had with mine was loading in between sections. Felt like Prime all over again at times. :lol

Yeah I've heard some have the Prime problem of doors not opening as soon as they should due to loading. I've also heard of some that never had a problem though.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I have a US launch Wii and have no problems playing dual-layer DVDs. Not a widespread problem, though this is obviously no consolation for those that are affected.

colon

Air Zombie Meat said:
If you can play Smash Bros Brawl or Metroid Prime trilogy on it you should be fine. Those are the only other games I know of that use a dual layer dvd. Neither work on mine. I think I'm just going to have to suck it up and buy a new wii for this game :(

Mine is a launch system and it played Super Smash Bros. Brawl with no trouble at all back when it first came out. I've never played Metroid Prime Trilogy though.

Struct09

Air Zombie Meat said:

Game sounds pretty cool from what I'm reading here though.

NOA will fix/clean it for free. Go here: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/ts/gameMPT.jsp and choose "No disc found" message

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
colon said:
Mine is a launch system and it played Super Smash Bros. Brawl with no trouble at all back when it first came out. I've never played Metroid Prime Trilogy though.

Your avatar brings back a lot of memories.

I'd be sad if it didn't work for me, though. I assume it'll work on my brand new shiny black 2010 Wii system.

Amir0x

Banned
Game is decent so far. It's another case where it simply is living in the fumes of much, much better offerings in the franchise, and they had too many ill-conceived ideas.

But it's not awful, it's definitely like a 7.0 game or something. The person who came up with the idea not to use the nunchuck and the first person transition bullshit should definitely be the first person shitcanned on the next Metroid game. A my first game design student could have come up with a better idea.

Kard8p3

Amir0x said:
Game is decent so far. It's another case where it simply is living in the fumes of much, much better offerings in the franchise, and they had too many ill-conceived ideas.

But it's not awful, it's definitely like a 7.0 game or something. The person who came up with the idea not to use the nunchuck and the first person transition bullshit should definitely be the first person shitcanned on the next Metroid game. A my first game design student could have come up with a better idea.

I don't think they're going to boot Sakamoto off the next metroid.

colon said:

Does it work now though? I should have said it wasn't always like this, I used to be able to play Brawl and can't anymore. The problem is some of the drives in launch Wii's are cheap rubbish and after a while when they get dust inside them they'll stop reading dual layer dvds. I would have tried the Wii lens cleaning disk but I can't find any around here so I've been stuck with the problem.

Anyway, didn't mean to scaremonger, I'm sure most people will be fine but some Wii's do have this issue.

Struct09 said:
NOA will fix/clean it for free. Go here: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/ts/gameMPT.jsp and choose "No disc found" message

Thanks, I should probably look into this. It would be NOE I'd be dealing with though.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Boney said:
My guess on 1st Person and why it affects some more than others is both on their gaming setup, distance to TV, light from windows, position from the chair both in height and angle.

And how enthusiastic you get in pointing. For it to work, you have to do it fast and precise, and I can see people not having the energy to do it.

Oh and did Abbie play Fusion or not?
The problem isn't that it's in first person or that the aiming isn't precise. The problem is that it breaks the flow of the game. It doesn't matter how fast and precise you are at aiming, it just feels way out of place to constantly be moving the controller from a sideways position to pointing at the screen.

Amir0x said:

That's about where I'd rate it at too. I just can't get past the controls. I don't mind playing a game in first person like the Prime games and I don't like playing the game in third person like Ninja Gaiden but it's the constant switching between the two that's irritating. I really wish they would have just stuck with the third person perspective and let you use first person just for looking around. There's so much that could have been expanded on with combat and boss fights that's thrown right out the window.

I love everything related to the morph ball. Sliding through tunnels makes me feel like a little boy playing with marbles again :lol

Amir0x said:
The person who came up with the idea not to use the nunchuck and the first person transition bullshit should definitely be the first person shitcanned on the next Metroid game. A my first game design student could have come up with a better idea.

Nah, fuck the Nunchuck. That thing never feels natural (the cheap build quality doesn't help). I like the NES approach a lot, even though it has some small problems.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Is it just me or is this game DARK?

I fear that it is the result of using hdmi with my wii. The picture tends to be a bit darker than when run directly, but I have no other option. :/

Top Bottom