• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

MadOdorMachine said:
The problem isn't that it's in first person or that the aiming isn't precise. The problem is that it breaks the flow of the game. It doesn't matter how fast and precise you are at aiming, it just feels way out of place to constantly be moving the controller from a sideways position to pointing at the screen.

Random thought: Set up a wireless sensor bar to the left of you, and simply uncover the end of the controller when you need to aim. Would that work?

Threi

notag
MadOdorMachine said:
The problem isn't that it's in first person or that the aiming isn't precise. The problem is that it breaks the flow of the game. It doesn't matter how fast and precise you are at aiming, it just feels way out of place to constantly be moving the controller from a sideways position to pointing at the screen.

I had no problems with it, i saw earlier in the thread that it was likened to an x-ray visor, I agree. If you can't see something because it's zoomed in too much or you think you spotted something you just point to see. My advice is to hold down B as soon as you switch to FP mode. If it's something you need to lock on to you lock on to it right away, if you want to look around you instantly have free control of the camera. The first-person look and dpad controls are two things in this game i have absolutely no problem with.

You know thinking back, freelook in this game is FAR better than the two Gamecube primes. Those were the ones that felt awkward, this one? Not so much.

dark10x said:
Is it just me or is this game DARK?

I fear that it is the result of using hdmi with my wii. The picture tends to be a bit darker than when run directly, but I have no other option. :/
Glad i'm not alone on this one, I had to turn the brightness up on my TV for this game.

lordmrw

God damn this 96 degree heat, otherwise I would have gone to the mall after work to pick this up. As it is I'll be picking up my preorder when I get my comics tomorrow.

gogojira

Graphics Horse said:
Random thought: Set up a wireless sensor bar to the left of you, and simply uncover the end of the controller when you need to aim. Would that work?

Sideways aiming? That sounds pretty damn hard.

Gino

My copy just got here from Amazon. Have to wait until tonight after my daughter goes to bed to crack it open though.

Az987

all good things
Air Zombie Meat said:
If you can play Smash Bros Brawl or Metroid Prime trilogy on it you should be fine. Those are the only other games I know of that use a dual layer dvd. Neither work on mine. I think I'm just going to have to suck it up and buy a new wii for this game :(

Game sounds pretty cool from what I'm reading here though.

I don't have smash bros and I have metroid prime trilogy but I've never tried it. Guess I'll go give it a try

dark10x said:
Is it just me or is this game DARK?

I fear that it is the result of using hdmi with my wii. The picture tends to be a bit darker than when run directly, but I have no other option. :/
It's a pretty dark game. I had to bump the brightness up a bit on my HDTV while playing.

wat.son?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Glad i'm not alone on this one, I had to turn the brightness up on my TV for this game.
The brightness level in the game is clearly not set properly.

I can turn up brightness, but my setup is finely tuned for accuracy and quality. The Wii was not a priority for me, when it came to video quality, but this kind of stuff is pretty annoying. Turning up the brightness raises the black level, which isn't acceptable.

Morts

Release day shipping my ass. Thanks anyway, Amazon.

I cant' complain too much, I got $20 off thanks to SMG2, another $20 credit, and free overnight shipping. Still, guess I'll have to buy a Fallout DLC tonight.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Is her voice the same actress as the live action commercial that's being played on television?

If so, I can deal with that.

Gino

dark10x said:
The brightness level in the game is clearly not set properly.

I can turn up brightness, but my setup is finely tuned for accuracy and quality. The Wii was not a priority for me, when it came to video quality, but this kind of stuff is pretty annoying. Turning up the brightness raises the black level, which isn't acceptable.

dark10x
60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 30 fps 60 fps 60 fps

Fantasy Final said:

LOL She is so bitter! It's as if she got into a feminism debate right before recording that, and tries desperately to look for gender issues in the game, anywhere. Her voice even cracks a couple times. So unprofessional :lol, damn.

Watching a Xena marathon and drinking before a review is not a good mix, Morgan.

etiolate said:
Abbie did the review, Morgan is just relaying it.

My point stands, just change "Morgan" to whoever else. And I liked her reviews years ago, but she's gotten worse with time, in my opinion. If you think that review is professional, I don't know what to say.

Teknoman

Got the game an hour ago. Whoever says these controls are clunky is nuts. D-pad works great, the switching to first person is pretty fast. I guess they just wanted you to feel like you were actually aiming/get up close with the action.

Havent had any HDTV brightness issues...yet, so cant really comment on that.

My only complaint so far? They could've thought of a better line to use when Samus obliterated Mother Brain in the opening FMV :lol Really, she didnt have to say anything at all since the narration itself wasnt that bad.

etiolate

Banned
Abbie did the review, Morgan is just relaying it.

You guys repeatedly making that mistake and the subsequent attacks are reasons why I don't talk to people at Gamestops.

Kard8p3

Amir0x said:
he actually came up with those ideas?

Jesus the man has fallen low

I cant say for sure about the first person perspective but it was his idea to keep it restricted to wiimote only. In fact there's a video floating around where he said if there was no way at all to get it to work with only the wiimote that he would've been ready to cancel the project.

Edit: Here's the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsJlNhSx0SI

Randy5554

Probably a stupid question, but for those of you saying the game is too dark, have you (really early minor spoiler)
restored the power
yet?

Randy5554 said:
Probably a stupid question, but for those of you saying the game is too dark, have you (really early minor spoiler)
restored the power
yet?
The game's not too dark. It's about the same as Metroid Prime 1.

Picked up my copy today and put in a few hours.

I find the game to be amazing. The level design makes me feel like I'm playing Metroid fusion in 3D. The control work perfectly. The game was design around the Wiimote and it shows. Samus is agile and I found the battles to be the perfect difficulty. Switching perspectives feels natural, and I've had little trouble using missiles in heated combat as needed. The story is good so far, the voices sound good, though many of Samus' line are cheesy.

Koodo

Banned
Cool story: they gave me the art folio back when I pre-ordered last week, and today they gave me ANOTHER one when I picked up the game. Yay.

PLAYING THE GAME NOW. Ü

Randy5554 said:
restored the power
yet?
No, I've beat the game and had to bump up my brightness halfway through the game because it was bugging me. My TV's calibrated for all my consoles, so it's definitely Other M versus other Wii games.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Amir0x said:

Actually, the idea for using the wiimote to switch to first person DID come from Team Ninja. They did a tech demo of it to show Sakamoto and it convinced him it was feasible as a way to work first person aiming / puzzles in while not violating the feel of playing the game with a NES pad he was going for.

For my money, I thought it was brilliant the first time I saw it.

No matter how good or bad the game really plays with that mechanic though, some people are inherently going to refuse to accept breaking such a paradigm is legitimate. Different = bad design and that's that.

Mafro

Koodo said:
Cool story: they gave me the art folio back when I pre-ordered last week, and today they gave me ANOTHER one when I picked up the game. Yay.

PLAYING THE GAME NOW. Ü
Give me your extra one.

etiolate

Banned
Amir0x said:

Sakamoto
Yes. One Wii Remote doesn't really have enough buttons, though. There were times when some problems, such as trying to implement special actions, could potentially have been solved by connecting the Nunchuk. Even then though, we had an understanding that we would never 'resort to the Nunchuk'.
yeaaaah

Amir0x

Banned
Kaijima said:
Actually, the idea for using the wiimote to switch to first person DID come from Team Ninja. They did a tech demo of it to show Sakamoto and it convinced him it was feasible as a way to work first person aiming / puzzles in while not violating the feel of playing the game with a NES pad he was going for.

For my money, I thought it was brilliant the first time I saw it.

No matter how good or bad the game really plays with that mechanic though, some people are inherently going to refuse to accept breaking such a paradigm is legitimate. Different = bad design and that's that.

Well that doesn't surprise me. Fuck Team Ninja.

In this case, "different = worse gameplay", and whether you personally want to hang your hat on the "well it's not worse gameplay", for my money it is absolutely horrible. It so badly breaks the flow of tense moments that it's amusing seeing people try to find ways to justify its inclusion.

etiolate said:
Sakamoto
Yes. One Wii Remote doesn't really have enough buttons, though. There were times when some problems, such as trying to implement special actions, could potentially have been solved by connecting the Nunchuk. Even then though, we had an understanding that we would never 'resort to the Nunchuk'.

What the hell!

He would never had made such embarrassing mistakes in the past :(

LowParry

Game is alright. Put in about 2 hours. The transition from gameplay to first person shooter is strange. Just gotta get used to it. Music is strange. Boring to say the least. Story? Eh. I'm not expecting something big but it's good enough. It's a good game so far. A little too dark in some areas but ah well.

Red

You know what, I've been playing since I got home, and I really like it. Much better than Corruption, IMO, even the voice acting and story. The only part that's bugging me is Samus's monologue- those parts are laughably bad. It's not her VA, it's the script. It's flat out terrible :lol

Everything else is pretty damn good, I'm really digging it. A lot of fun so far.

Amir0x said:
What the hell!

He would never had made such embarrassing mistakes in the past :(
259ec76.gif

My first response at the mission briefing: "This shit is so Japanese."

Seriously, the way they did it. It's like this is Power Rangers or something.

Haha, when she first "henshins" into the Power Suit in the tutorial, it has the typical sounds you'd expect from a tokusatsu show. I mean, the man who did the soundtrack for Other M did do Kamen Rider Kabuto's music. :lol

LowParry

My first response at the mission briefing: "This shit is so Japanese."

Seriously, the way they did it. It's like this is Power Rangers or something. :lol

Itagaki wouldn't allow this. He'd have an all female team!

Seriously though. Team Ninja really did wipe their ass with this. The whole intro to the point of introductions was cringe worthy.

Amir0x

Banned
well everyone is dealing with it, I am too. It's a decent little game but the worst Metroid to come out ever.

Actually I only think Hunters is worse.

Again, that doesn't mean it's bad. Metroid games are of a super high pedigree. It's just a decent little game. I'm not mad I wasted money on it, it feels like I'm just barely getting what I paid for.

The more painful aspect than all the other things is the linearity. This game seems to be even worse than Fusion in that regard, and it's harder to ignore due to the other problems the game has.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Amir0x said:
well everyone is dealing with it, I am too. It's a decent little game but the worst Metroid to come out ever.

I haven't played Other M yet... but Fusion was pretty meh. Is this worse in your opinion?

LowParry

Amir0x said:

Again, that doesn't mean it's bad. Metroid games are of a super high pedigree. It's just a decent little game. I'm not mad I wasted money on it, it feels like I'm just barely getting what I paid for.

I'm placing the judgment of my money's worth after I beat it. I can name a few out there wasn't worth the $60 tag but I don't want to hurt feelings.

Threi

notag
yeah just watched part of a playthrough on YT looking for one particular tune, and definitely i suggest holding down B when you switch to first person. It helps with the transition if you can't get it down as fast as others.

CcrooK said:
Itagaki wouldn't allow this. He'd have an all female team!

Seriously though. Team Ninja really did wipe their ass with this. The whole intro to the point of introductions was cringe worthy.
I didn't really find it cringe worthy, just unnecessary. Metroid really isn't a series you should infuse with Japanese tropes, yet from the little footage I've seen from this game, it seems to be loaded with them.

Nintendo should have done this game in-house or something. Team Ninja would be the last studio on my mind for a project like this.

AzureNightmare said:
Haters are gonna hate.

Fuck the haters, and fuck the trolls. I love this game and anyone who can't see the pure genius of this game is blind.
I don't hate it (yet).

Amir0x

Banned
BocoDragon said:
I haven't played Other M yet... but Fusion was pretty meh. Is this worse in your opinion?

I liked Fusion a fair bit, but this is pretty obviously worse than Fusion. Fusion had its gameplay and mechanics all pretty much in place. This game has the linearity of fusion, and some of the basic mechanics are as good, but it's added in a lot of additional things that really break the flow of tense moments and are at times borderline broken in the heat of things.

I do like some of the added badass moves Samus can do - forget what they're called - and I would like them to retain that single feature for some of the other Metroid games in the future. It's the only positive addition to the Metroid formula atm.

Amir0x said:

The more painful aspect than all the other things is the linearity. This game seems to be even worse than Fusion in that regard, and it's harder to ignore due to the other problems the game has.
Although I don't feel as strongly as you do, I do understand what you mean. I love Other M a lot, but at the same time, I know it could've been sooooooooooo much more as I continued to play it, especially in hard mode. It still has me hooked though. Lethal Strikes/Overblast/Sense move need to be in the next iteration of Metroid no matter what.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Post-game spoilers:

Wow, Phantoon. Awesome. Did not expect that. The boss fights are the best part of this game.

I'm liking the post-game "get shit you missed during the main game" stuff a lot. Feels a lot more like Metroid.

Top Bottom