• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

careksims

Knux-Future said:
J
I died on the first boss because I had no clue wtf I was doing and still I have no clue how I triggered it but yeah.

This actually happen to me too. Died at the 1st boss. Didn't know how it trigger that got me to the next part of it.

MNC

The only thing I'm a bit butthurt about are the things I read about the music. Blah. Can't care for the rest, I'm a Metroid fan and I'll probably enjoy it either way!

DownLikeBCPowder said:
I always thought this game was going to be either really awesome or really awful. Here's my take after a few hours - I love it. It's not traditional Metroid, no, but it's really awesome in its own way. Sure, the music could be better (too ambient and quiet too often) and the cutscenes can have some atrocious attempt at story (thus far), but the game plays awesome, I love the action and the feel of the new gameplay. Kudos for something different, I like the new take on Metroid. Sure, Prime is better but this is great for what it is! Refreshing.

My thoughts aswell. So far I'm really loving the controls, aside from the A button being used for both going into morphball and missile replenish-er. Odd little annoyance, but otherwise a great game.

wsippel

Banned
MarshMellow96 said:
God help GAF if this sells well. :lol
I sure hope it does. And I actually believe it will. Other M is by no means perfect, but the concept has potential - I want Metroid V by Project M.

Socreges

Banned
Kaijima said:
No matter how good or bad the game really plays with that mechanic though, some people are inherently going to refuse to accept breaking such a paradigm is legitimate. Different = bad design and that's that.
How about this: No matter how legitimate the complaint regarding bad design, some people are going to inherently refuse to accept it. They will try and act like their opinion is the Truth and everyone else has an ulterior motive.

Superblatt said:
I will say, I can't remember the last time GAF turned so hard against a big name franchise that ACTUALLY took a risk. I won't even get started on the hypocrisy that abounds in this thread, but I will say this...

How many Halo, Mario, Metroid, and Zelda games do we play that are exactly the same? Would you have preferred this was more like Twilight Princess? I don't know about you guys, but I'm at the point in my life where I'm pretty damn happy with the modernization of classic franchises we've seen in the past 10 years --- INCLUDING the Prime series. In other words, I've experienced those rebirths. They've been done and DONE well. It's now time to move past that. After all, where's the fun when you already know the gameplay, know the sound effects, know the music, and know the story before you even power the game on??

Think for a moment about a major AAA franchise that you've played that threw you for as much of a loop as Other M has. Can't, can you? Why do you think that is? Because major studios aren't allowed to take risks! Nintendo is one of the few that does, and for that I commend them. Major gameplay changes to classic formulas produce the kind of reaction we've seen on GAF this week. It can potentially lead to catastrophic failure, but more often than not, the best developers take the biggest risks -- and sometimes it works. When they do, we finally get new genres (Grand Theft Auto) and new play mechanics that we've never experienced ever before (Other M, Mario Galaxy). To those developers I say - AMEN brotha.

Is everyone going to like the risks the developers took with Other M? Fuck no -- of course not. But to slam Sakamoto for actually taking this franchise beyond its traditional boundaries, which Retro was afraid to push (I know, first person was a big deal at the time), is pure unadulterated lunacy. The best franchises take the BIGGEST risks, and are often initially scolded for doing so. Don't believe me? Just look how far the tide has turned on Wind Waker.

What do I think? I say CONGRATS to Sakamoto and Team Ninja for mixing it up. Good story, bad story -- whatever. Bottom line is it's a new take on a classic franchise I adore. I actually have had to learn how to play the game, which is a welcome feeling that I rarely experience these days.

If I just wanted to play Super Metroid or Metroid Prime again I'd just pop 'em in and replay them.
You sound so passionate. And so terribly lost and deluded.

People aren't critical of the game simply because CHANGE = BAD. And therefore the rest of your post completely falls apart. Straw mans everywhere.

Amir0x

Banned
etiolate said:
reread all the serious posts on the game and think about them

People are not afraid of change, they are afraid of bad design choices.

Precisely. If these gameplay changes worked and made the game better, or at least different but equally good, then it would be accepted. Look at Prime, a radical departure in many extremely major ways. Widely accepted and loved.

The problem is the changes are by and large for the worse.

etiolate

Banned
Dr.Hadji said:
Uh... you've met GAF haven't you?

In regards to this game, and actually often to other game debates, the "people are afraid of change" mantra doesn't hold up.

A switch from First Person to 2.5d is a change, yes? People were generally behind this.
Going back to faster movement was a change from Prime? Fusion and ZM were faster than SM, yes? All changes, no people had problems with them.

A forced wiimote only control, where the designer himself admits it limited and gimped gameplay..

the issue isn't change, it's that it is bad

Socreges

Banned
MattKeil said:
Change for change's sake is no better than stagnation. Metroid didn't need obsessive linearity, an ensemble cast and anime tropes injected into it. Nintendo needs to go back and study what they did in Prime and figure out what makes Metroid Metroid, because they clearly forgot while making Other M.
Well said.

tomjenkins

Neo Member
well, just played up to the first save station and i must say the game is amazing so far. I'm excited to see if this one will surpass prime 3, my favorite metroid game, and if the voice acting gets any better. :lol That's my only complaint so far

kiryogi

Banned
Green Mamba said:
This game could really do with an extra button. And the ability to skip cutscenes.

Again I don't know how many times I've said this. Cutscenes can be skipped. UPON REPLAY.

Neat thing today tho. When I was going in to get my art folio, lots of folks picking it up were pretty excited, no idea about the reviews or the mixed word of mouth so far. Let's see how the causals and others take to it. And see if GAF/Reviewers overall are just a small % of concensus in the end. Does Sakamoto win :eek:

Red

Alright, I have no idea why these tank-controlled third person segments are even in here. First I daintily explore a bathroom, then I get to slowly walk around a tree. Woo immersion.

I really like the "point at screen" first person thing, but I hate the Wii pointer. Motion Plus would have served this title a lot better than Corruption's sensor bar aiming. Goddamn is it shit.

I'm still having a good time. Certainly not disappointed, I guess that's what I get for expecting a pile of shit :lol

I'm leveling judgment more at the controls and gameplay now rather than at the script. My hands are cramped to hell holding the tiny stick that is a Wii remote. Most battles are a clusterfuck of circling the D pad and hitting 1 over and over. Why are these Geemers/Zoomers so intent on tackling Samus? I've always understood them to be pretty docile, just sticking to a particular area and minding their own spike covered business. Here they are suicide warriors or something, they just can't wait to run into Samus's metal death machine.

etiolate said:

To be fair to him, a lot of this 'bad design choice' stuff seems to be an easy way out for people who dislike the game or certain design aspects.

There's an awful lot of..

GAFfer 1:'first-person transitions are shit. Metroid ruined.'
GAFer 2:'why?'
GAFfer 3: 'because it's a bad design choice.'

When what they really mean is I don't like it/I think it is a bad design choice.

There are plenty of people in this thread who happen to like that design choice, it's just that the ones who wax lyrical on how 'bad' these choices are tend to speak a little louder. It doesn't mean that the people who do like it are fans of bad design choices, it just means they have a positive opinion regarding said choices.

The ones who are enjoying the game are talking about how much they are enjoying it, and that can only be a good thing. It is, after all, why we are here. :D

Doorman

Superblatt said:
I will say, I can't remember the last time GAF turned so hard against a big name franchise that ACTUALLY took a risk. I won't even get started on the hypocrisy that abounds in this thread, but I will say this...

Think for a moment about a major AAA franchise that you've played that threw you for as much of a loop as Other M has. Can't, can you? Why do you think that is? Because major studios aren't allowed to take risks! Nintendo is one of the few that does, and for that I commend them. Major gameplay changes to classic formulas produce the kind of reaction we've seen on GAF this week. It can potentially lead to catastrophic failure, but more often than not, the best developers take the biggest risks -- and sometimes it works. When they do, we finally get new genres (Grand Theft Auto) and new play mechanics that we've never experienced ever before (Other M, Mario Galaxy). To those developers I say - AMEN brotha.
While I agree on principle to a lot of your sentiment regarding taking risks with long-running franchises (god knows I feel that way big-time about Zelda), I can't help but feel amused to hear the bolded trying to be passed off with a straight face. Yes Nintendo will take risks when the mood strikes them, but especially in the case of their traditional games they're still very safe in a lot of ways.

Superblatt said:
If I just wanted to play Super Metroid or Metroid Prime again I'd just pop 'em in and replay them.
Indeed...but that doesn't waive people's right to criticize this game's mechanics if they don't like them. Opinions of Other M have been so widely varied that it just seems to be one of those games that some people "get" while others don't. I fell into the latter group on the Prime games, and I tried very hard to get into them and like them, so while I haven't had the chance to play it yet I'm hopeful that the faster action Other M brings will gel with my tastes better.

kiryogi

Banned
I don't really see any major issues with the first person. The transition is extremely fast and they even give you a slowdown period to readjust yourself to aim. They at least compensated for any possible issues. I never found myself stumbling over it.

The Hermit

Got the game, about 2 hours in... and those Phoenix Wright moments are pissing me off :/

Who was the genius who though those obligatory scans were good? No Prime game had that kind of shit....

wsippel

Banned
etiolate said:
reread all the serious posts on the game and think about them

Most of the design choices in Other M aren't nearly as bad as some people and certain outlets want to make you believe, though. In fact, quite a few are pretty good (sense move, concentration, lethal strikes), and some are good in theory but didn't really work out (3rd person over the shoulder parts). Only very few of the design choices are truly bad, like the "Where is Waldo"-shit (luckily, those are few and far between). It's a fun game, and the foundation shows lots of potential. It's also one of the very few games that get better every time you replay them, whereas Prime was a series I loved, but never wanted to touch again after finishing each game once. YMMV, of course.

Red

Baiano19 said:
Got the game, about 2 hours in... and those Phoenix Wright moments are pissing me off :/

Who was the genius who though those obligatory scans were good? No Prime game had that kind of shit....
Except when you needed to activate elevators, open doors, weld stuff together, and twist handles.

Prime had them, but they were more transparent. Didn't grind the game to a halt. A lot of that probably has to do with the scan visor itself, which highlighted interactive objects. Other M does not indicate what you need to trigger to advance.

Socreges said:
How about this: No matter how legitimate the complaint regarding bad design, some people are going to inherently refuse to accept it. They will try and act like their opinion is the Truth and everyone else has an ulterior motive.

You sound so passionate. And so terribly lost and deluded.

People aren't critical of the game simply because CHANGE = BAD. And therefore the rest of your post completely falls apart. Straw mans everywhere.

Actually, yes -- they are. Did you read the amount of posts here about dislike of the linearity, dislike of the first person/third person mechanic, dislike of the implementation of a story? No straw mans on my part, man. Rather, just pure observation. Maybe you should have read my entire post.

Regardless, I should go play now, as I'm not at the office reading this thread on the shitter.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I haven't seen much on this game. All I know, I've heard from Giant Bomb podcasts. What I'd heard made me really apprehensive about the game, but I rented it, because it's Metroid.
Kind of.

I'm just finished with the tutorial and watching the next cut scene.

I'm pretty sure I hate this game more than I hate Glenn Beck.

hamchan

etiolate said:
Sakamoto
Yes. One Wii Remote doesn't really have enough buttons, though. There were times when some problems, such as trying to implement special actions, could potentially have been solved by connecting the Nunchuk. Even then though, we had an understanding that we would never 'resort to the Nunchuk'.

Ok WTF Sakamoto :(

Sounds like he knew there were design issues with a wiimote only control and he just was being stubborn about it. Screw the original vision if there's another option that'll make your game a lot better to play.

Archaix said:
I haven't seen much on this game. All I know, I've heard from Giant Bomb podcasts. What I'd heard made me really apprehensive about the game, but I rented it, because it's Metroid.
Kind of.

I'm just finished with the tutorial and watching the next cut scene.

I'm pretty sure I hate this game more than I hate Glenn Beck.

Just you wait. Wait til you see what the real plot of the game is.

hamchan said:
Ok WTF Sakamoto :(

Sounds like he knew there were design issues with a wiimote only control and he just was being stubborn about it. Screw the original vision if there's another option that'll make your game a lot better to play.
It's a pretty retarded restriction when there is absolutely no reason why they couldn't just use the nunchuck with it. Stupid nostalgia trends.

Hard Mode:
RIDLEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYY!!!! You're fucking dead now, thank god! One hit kills and shit... thank god that last grab attack doesn't kill you straight up. Phew!

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Threi said:
I had no problems with it, i saw earlier in the thread that it was likened to an x-ray visor, I agree. If you can't see something because it's zoomed in too much or you think you spotted something you just point to see. My advice is to hold down B as soon as you switch to FP mode. If it's something you need to lock on to you lock on to it right away, if you want to look around you instantly have free control of the camera. The first-person look and dpad controls are two things in this game i have absolutely no problem with.

You know thinking back, freelook in this game is FAR better than the two Gamecube primes. Those were the ones that felt awkward, this one? Not so much.
I'm going to try not to complain about it as much anymore because I'm beating a dead horse, but I have been holding "B" down. I don't consider my reaction time slow. What I'm saying is that I think having to constantly switch the way you hold the controller breaks the pacing of the game. There is nothing I can do to change my opinion of what I consider a poor design choice. Can you think of any other game that has you changing the way you hold the controller constantly throughout the game? I'll give them credit and say that the transition is very smooth and they made it work as best as they could by temporarily slowing the enemy down, but all of this was done to compensate for something I feel is just broken. It's also the reason your missiles and life can be recharged on the spot. I would have preferred they kept the action to third person with first person being left for exploring secrets/hidden items, but that would have required more buttons, which means the nun-chuck would have had to be used and for some reason Sakamoto didn't want to do that.

Now that I'm into the game a little bit more -
I'm on the ice level and have unlocked the speed boost and wave beam
- things are definitely getting better. Once you get more powerful weapons, the need for missiles, so far has decreased and it's made the game a lot more enjoyable for me. Also, I don't know if I'm just getting used to it or what, but I don't find the story nearly as interesting as I did in the first hour or so. It's a shame that it takes this long for the game to hit it's pace, but I really feel like the action sequences work well in third person. There are some things I would change, but it's a lot more enjoyable now and it's finally starting to feel like a Metroid game. Something is present now that wasn't there in the Prime games.

Socreges

Banned
MarshMellow96 said:
To be fair to him, a lot of this 'bad design choice' stuff seems to be an easy way out for people who dislike the game or certain design aspects.

When what they really mean is I don't like it/I think it is a bad design choice.
Are you suggesting that there is some ability for us to state objective truths and that we can make any sort of claim without the implication of "I think"? Or are you just outlining what is always assumed when people express their thoughts.

MarshMellow96 said:
There are plenty of people in this thread who happen to like that design choice, it's just that the ones who wax lyrical on how 'bad' these choices are tend to speak a little louder. It doesn't mean that the people who do like it are fans of bad design choices, it just means they have a positive opinion regarding said choices.

The ones who are enjoying the game are talking about how much they are enjoying it, and that can only be a good thing. It is, after all, why we are here. :D
I know you've been reading this thread, so what exactly are you talking about? You even quoted Superblatt's post two minutes after it was posted "in case anyone missed it", and let me assure you that it's nearly impossible to be as loud as he was. And he's a perfect example of someone not talking about how much he's enjoying the game, but rather concerning himself a little too much with, and without any understanding of, the people who aren't as impressed.

Superblatt said:
Actually, yes -- they are. Did you read the amount of posts here about dislike of the linearity, dislike of the first person/third person mechanic, dislike of the implementation of a story? No straw mans on my part, man. Rather, just pure observation. Maybe you should have read my entire post.
I did read your entire post. From every spec of misguided drivel to each instance of overwhelming pretentiousness. I read it. It will not soon be forgotten.

You are confused. You are conflating people disliking design choices that happen to be changes in the franchise with change for the fact that it is change alone. This is not "pure observation" on your part because it is clouded with your distaste for criticism of Other M. Resultantly, you attempt to discredit these criticisms by misrepresenting them in your mind. Understand?

The Hermit

Crunched said:
Except when you needed to activate elevators, open doors, weld stuff together, and twist handles.

Prime had them, but they were more transparent. Didn't grind the game to a halt. A lot of that probably has to do with the scan visor itself, which highlighted interactive objects. Other M does not indicate what you need to trigger to advance.

You are talking about Prme 3 mostlty, but still, it was pretty straighfoward... so far most of the scenes in Other M had me searching for something I had absolutly no idea...and on top of that it was something really small.

Anyway, the game is getting better... feeling more metroidish or, should I say, fusionish.

kiryogi

Banned
BishopLamont said:
It's a pretty retarded restriction when there is absolutely no reason why they couldn't just use the nunchuck with it. Stupid nostalgia trends.

Nostalgia maybe but I think from a developer's stand point this also forced me to be more creative and work around it. Although it would have been probably a lot better for most folks, it seems like from Sakamotos point of view it would have been a handicap to rely on it. I think he had the right mindset going into it.

kiryogi

Banned
Game is warming up for me. However, I'm stuck
in the room where the water goes up and down. I've been looking around for 10 minutes.
Tips?

At the end of that room, wait for the water to go down, and behind the wall you'll see a space where you can jump underneath and and wallkick your way up the shaft

JohngPR

Whoa I'm totally stuck. I'm at the part in Sector 1 where you
fight those monsters that have the green orb in their bellies and I opened up the door that was north of the save spot, but have no idea what to do now. It seems like the only place I can go is uphill but it requires the Speed Pack which I don't have yet.

Can anyone help me out?

MoxManiac

Superblatt said:

How many Halo, Mario, Metroid, and Zelda games do we play that are exactly the same? Would you have preferred this was more like Twilight Princess? I don't know about you guys, but I'm at the point in my life where I'm pretty damn happy with the modernization of classic franchises we've seen in the past 10 years --- INCLUDING the Prime series. In other words, I've experienced those rebirths. They've been done and DONE well. It's now time to move past that. After all, where's the fun when you already know the gameplay, know the sound effects, know the music, and know the story before you even power the game on??

Is everyone going to like the risks the developers took with Other M? Fuck no -- of course not. But to slam Sakamoto for actually taking this franchise beyond its traditional boundaries, which Retro was afraid to push (I know, first person was a big deal at the time), is pure unadulterated lunacy. The best franchises take the BIGGEST risks, and are often initially scolded for doing so. Don't believe me? Just look how far the tide has turned on Wind Waker.

What do I think? I say CONGRATS to Sakamoto and Team Ninja for mixing it up. Good story, bad story -- whatever. Bottom line is it's a new take on a classic franchise I adore. I actually have had to learn how to play the game, which is a welcome feeling that I rarely experience these days.

I can think of one example right off the bat: Resident Evil 4. And that game was almost universally loved, by GAF, and the rest of the world, and that includes a lot of die hard RE fans. Afraid of change? Hardly.

I haven't played much past the introduction section of Other M, but the game is already sending up some red flags for me; i'm going to reserve judgement, but so far this is looking potentially unsatisifying for a Metroid game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
risk alone is not an admirable or commendable quality. risk without substance is just bad direction.

Teknoman

MNC said:
The only thing I'm a bit butthurt about are the things I read about the music. Blah. Can't care for the rest, I'm a Metroid fan and I'll probably enjoy it either way!

Soundtrack is awesome in the context of the game, but so far (not that far in the game...only at sector 1) nothing too catchy/new tracks that'll be remixed by fans.

AniHawk

Seeing so many Metroid Prime fans disappointed with a Metroid game should make me feel really worried, but for some reason it's causing massive schadenfreude.

Kevtones

I'm sure the makers of Other M came up with these ideas because they thought they were risky and different, not good and enjoyable.

Socreges

Banned
Doorman said:
Opinions of Other M have been so widely varied that it just seems to be one of those games that some people "get" while others don't.
This is closer to the truth, but I'd nuance it a bit. For me it doesn't seem to be a very drastic departure conceptually. There is nothing to really "get" in its approach to the Metroid universe. It's more of a you like it or you don't kind of situation. Either you tolerate/love certain things or they undermine the experience for you.

Doorman said:
I fell into the latter group on the Prime games, and I tried very hard to get into them and like them, so while I haven't had the chance to play it yet I'm hopeful that the faster action Other M brings will gel with my tastes better.
Agreed here. I didn't "get" the Prime series. I respected it and understood how people could love it, but its nature didn't really click with me. Other M seemed to be an evolution in the franchise that simultaneously returned to certain qualities of the 2D games. There was a lot of restrained excitement on my part. I saw the potential, but knew that things could go wrong. So far I'm a bit disappointed, but I haven't beaten it yet and I've heard that the last bit of the game is really where it begins to shine.

Socreges

Banned
AniHawk said:
Seeing so many Metroid Prime fans disappointed with a Metroid game should make me feel really worried, but for some reason it's causing massive schadenfreude.
:lol you spend too much time in the gaming forum dude

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
MarshMellow96 said:

For some reason that put me in mind of...
2iadcmh.png

hamchan

Rez said:
risk alone is not an admirable or commendable quality. risk without substance is just bad direction.

Exactly. If we praise people too much for just trying then they'll get it into their heads that they're awesome, even when they're not.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Superblatt said:

Great post. I agree that change is a good thing. It can be subtle changes that improves or fixes things (Zelda OoT to TP) or it can be major (RE4) but they are welcome. I think the problem here is that Sakamoto knew he was missing buttons, but refused to move beyond the single Wii remote set up even at the request of Team Ninja and it hurt the game in the long run. The whole reason he went to a third party studio, particularly Team Ninja was because he had no experience in making games in 3D. Why then would he not listen to them about this especially if he knew something was wrong himself?

As far as the new direction goes, I love it. I love the added emphasis on action and although there are some problems with the way the story is presented, there's a lot about it they did right, particularly the transition between cutscenes and gameplay. I can't think of any other game that handles it as smooth as this one. The camera is extremely polished as well, yes that includes the transition between first and third person. A lot of people are being critical of the game, but I think everyone can agree that there are some aspects of it they would like to see expanded upon, and other parts that would probably be better if they weren't repeated again. Ever. I think the finishing moves are great as well.

If I had to pick three areas I would change, it would be to make missiles usable in third person, add a lock on system as well (like Zelda, Metroid Prime, Ninja Gaiden) and try to minimize Samus talking. Sometimes less is more.

Wark

I'm only a little ways into the game but I think it's a little bit better than what I was expecting. The controls do get a little getting used to and flipping back and forth between first and third person can get a little frustrating at times.

Socreges said:
Are you suggesting that there is some ability for us to state objective truths and that we can make any sort of claim without the implication of "I think"? Or are you just outlining what is always assumed when people express their thoughts.

I'm merely trying to say that I find it difficult ascertain what can be classed as a 'good' design choice, 'objectively' speaking. What is good design 'fact'?. How on earth do you determine that? If it's a case of what is taught to students regarding 'good' game design well then blow me down with a feather - why are games different? Why aren't we left with homogeneous gradschool lumps of gaming? Because there is subjectivity. The idea of programming and designing is probably relatively similar across the board, but what makes a game different is the person creating it. I don't believe for a second that you can look at game design 'objectively'.

Socreges said:
I know you've been reading this thread, so what exactly are you talking about? You even quoted Superblatt's post two minutes after it was posted "in case anyone missed it", and let me assure you that it's nearly impossible to be as loud as he was. And he's a perfect example of someone not talking about how much he's enjoying the game, but rather concerning himself a little too much with, and without any understanding of, the people who aren't as impressed.

I probably went a little overboard in quoting the thing in its entirety. I was mostly in agreement with his later comments and how I can see the parallels with the Zelda series, namely Zelda II. I can see M:OM as a game being much maligned but having an influence on the series that many will not recognise, either through their own ignorance or flat out refusal.

EDIT: :lol :lol Technomancer..

Top Bottom