• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

So far I think the goofiest thing (outside of the goofy cutscenes of Samus talking to herself about stupid shit) is how
Adam only authorizes the Varia Suit after you've been running through several rather large lava filled rooms that slowly kill you. Thanks, Adam.

Teknoman

AceBandage said:
So you never used them in a large room in Super or Fusion?

Also, a neat thing I'm not sure if everyone knows.
Fully charge your beam then press A to lay 5 bombs around you.

:lol I mean anything thats living/organic (or a power bomb block) other than Samus.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
After putting 2 hours into it, I really have no fucking clue why this isn't played with at least a nunchuck for more than four-way directional movement, let alone full controls using the Wiimote for aiming at targets.

I'm finding battles really frustrating because of the controls, the auto-aiming and finding the dodge/lethal strike stuff baffling. I also loathe the fact that Samus can't shoot in one direction and walk in another. I can't find a rhythm at all.

The design decisions that went into this are bewildering. I'm glad I effectively only paid $30 for it with the Amazon pre-order credit.

It's like, they took Metroid, took some (but not all) things away that I like a lot about the series, but replaced those things with heroin.

robor said:
That's basically how I feel too. I haven't even played the game yet but I can already see a lot of reviewers sucking pretty hard at what seems pretty obvious to me. The only guy that I thought got it down pat was Donkey Show.
:D Thanks! I mean, I never really thought it was that hard to begin with. Just make sure Samus is pointed in the direction you want to shoot, point, aim/auto-lock, ???, profit.

Also, I'm about to upload some hard mode boss fun to YouTube. Basically, if you get hit, you die. So nerve wracking, yet soooooo good. :lol

Poyunch

Yeah I personally don't aim for enemies unless they're one that are only vulnerable at certain points. Every other time I just dodge, shoot, dodge, shoot, etc.

It's not focused but it's effective, deadly, and beautiful.

Boney

Banned
Dan said:
After putting 2 hours into it, I really have no fucking clue why this isn't played with at least a nunchuck for more than four-way directional movement, let alone full controls using the Wiimote for aiming at targets.

I'm finding battles really frustrating because of the controls, the auto-aiming and finding the dodge/lethal strike stuff baffling. I also loathe the fact that Samus can't shoot in one direction and walk in another. I can't find a rhythm at all.

The design decisions that went into this are bewildering. I'm glad I effectively only paid $30 for it with the Amazon pre-order credit.
Let me walk you through the ropes. You face the direction you want to shoot and fire (if they're far away and big enough, pop in a missile if you feel like it). Enemies will come and you can use the sense move giving you a free charge shot. By then, you'll most probably be able to do an overblast (or keep repeating the sense move), until you can get a finisher. All nice and easy.

Combat isn't designed for it to be runnin and gunnin. That's why the sense move is there.

I feel d-pad works fine with how the ship is designed and how the camara follows.

dkeane

4-5 hours in - really liking it, totally different pacing than the prime games but it's a welcome change after the trilogy.
Controls feel solid, the switch to first person is responsive and I haven't had any problems.
Trying to do the refill motion (point up and A) has caused me to go into the morphball a couple times, sort of annoying.

Looking forward to playing this a bunch. fast paced fun.

scitek

brandonh83 said:
It's like, they took Metroid, took some (but not all) things away that I like a lot about the series, but replaced those things with heroin.

So, you're saying you like it and it's addictive?

Crunched said:
Confession time:

I'm a little way into Sector 3, just brushing 4 hours, and I already like this game more than Fusion and Corruption.

Success?

Not that hard given those two are the weakest of the bunch, in my opinion anyways.

my girlfriend who only plays easy shit like Zelda played for like 2 hours today and had absolutely no trouble with combat controls. in fact she hates action games with a passion.

now man up.

scitek said:
So, you're saying you like it and it's addictive?

No. I'm saying I love it and that it's dangerously addictive.

scitek

Dan said:

Try charging up your beam, jumping in one direction, and letting it go of the beam in the opposite direction while in mid-air. I do it all the time.

EDIT: I almost feel like Sakamoto intentionally wrote "Confession Time" to create an internet meme.

Hiltz

Dan said:

I think the trick is to essentially focus more on the location of Samus and the movement of the the enemies in order to prepare to use the sense move at the right time. If you pay more attention into what your shooting at, then I think you'll end up getting hurt more often by walking right into the path of where enemies walk, jump and roll into. That is probably just another part of the reason why the auto aim system is used in Other M.

I do agree with you that the combat does appear to lack rhythm. It's not graceful but more on the lines of chaotic in the way of a "cat and mouse" game (by constantly running and jumping around enemies). You just have to keep avoiding the enemies until you have the opportunity to attack from a safe distance.

The FPS mode works well. However, the problem in my opinion is that Other M's combat does not make it an ideal mechanic to have. In that sense, the FPS mode does not belong.
The fast-paced nature of the combat and having to often face multiple enemies at once makes it a struggle to successfully use the FPS mode. That is to say, without having to always worry that your most likely gonna get screwed and be forced to abandon FPS mode and resort back to using the charged power shot and melee finisher moves.

As far as the problem with Samus handing control to Adam for his power suit abilities, the power bomb thing does make sense. However, that still does not explain why she can't have access to her other weapons and abilities like the different power beams and her varia suit. Heck, I hear there's one part in the game where Samus has to go through a
volcanic area and takes damage without her varia suit (at least until halfway or after the area is over with, I don't know when exactly she gets the varia suit) on which prevents heat damage.

Nessus

Played Shadow Complex for the first time like a month and a half ago and Other M reminds me a bit of it, except less archaic feeling and more interesting with the more varied settings.

Another thing I'm noticing and really appreciating is the much more creative enemy design. One (admittedly stupid) complaint an acquaintance had of the Prime games was that you were "just killing bugs". For whatever reason that always stuck with me. Other M has far more variety and creativity in its enemy design, I feel.

Put another hour or so into it and everything I said stands, but I'd add that I appreciate what they were trying to do with the over the shoulder bits (I think), but they aren't scary or tense, and it's annoying not being able to shoot.

Still really enjoying the game. Just killed a fairly tough boss with my very last missile.

Oh, and I have to say, it's a minor thing, but I love that Samus has an animation for climbing over things.
It's just one of those touches that really adds to the experience.

scitek

Hiltz said:
The FPS mode works well. However, the problem in my opinion is that Other M's combat does not make it an ideal mechanic to have. In that sense, the FPS mode does not belong.The fast-paced nature of the combat and having to often face multiple enemies at once makes it a struggle to successfully use the FPS mode. That is to say, without having to always worry that your most likely gonna get screwed and be forced to abandon FPS mode and resort back to using the charged power shot and melee finisher moves.

Well, that's why the missiles are so powerful, they're a reward for being able to find time to use them. The game is literally like 95% third person, and the first-person stuff is there for the people who are able to take advantage of it. You can often just charge beam the hell out of an enemy without taking any damage due to the dodge moves, it just takes forever.

AceBandage said:
Oh, and I have to say, it's a minor thing, but I love that Samus has an animation for climbing over things.
Team Ninja did an excellent job with Samus' animations. :D

The enemy design has been okay but I think the bigger enemies look pretty generic, especially the
chameleon things

Thankfully, once the heroin kicks in, it doesn't really matter too much.

Salsa

AceBandage said:

Love this.

Hiltz

AceBandage said:

Yeah, that is pretty cool. I remember first doing that during the circular area where the elevator is while climbing up. I fell down just to climb up again and watch the animation. I also love the subtle special effects white outline of Samus's body when she jumps.

Boney

Banned
brandonh83 said:
my girlfriend who only plays easy shit like Zelda played for like 2 hours today and had absolutely no trouble with combat controls. in fact she hates action games with a passion.

now man up.
This is certainly very interesting. I guess NES controllers do work?

Does she find the game sexist? :p

brandonh83 said:
The enemy design has been okay but I think the bigger enemies look pretty generic.

Thankfully, once the heroin kicks in, it doesn't really matter too much.

Some of them do like
the giant worms.
Some are just weird though, like
the giant show orb spitting giraffe like things.

scitek

Someone left a comment on my review saying they think this will be a game that is looked back on years from now and considered underrated. I could see that becoming a possibility the more I play it. It's like the better you get a using the dodge move, overblast, and first-person, the more like a badass you feel. It's pretty much the exact same as Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox. The longer you play, the more adept you become at the controls, and when you're finally able to breeze through the game, it just becomes incredibly satisfying. The fact they were able to illicit a similar feeling with such a simplified control scheme speaks volumes at how good they are at that type of thing.

scitek said:
Someone left a comment on my review saying they think this will be a game that is looked back on years from now and considered underrated. I could see that becoming a possibility the more I play it. It's like the better you get a using the dodge move, overblast, and first-person, the more like a badass you feel. It's pretty much the exact same as Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox. The longer you play, the more adept you become at the controls, and when you're finally able to breeze through the game, it just becomes incredibly satisfying. The fact they were able to illicit a similar feeling with such a simplified control scheme speaks volumes at how good they are at that type of thing.

But a game like Ninja Gaiden rewards you for learning the combat system with a complex scoring system and rankings, also modes that require maximum skill. Does Other M have any of that?

Boney said:
Does she find the game sexist? :p

She doesn't really care about stuff like that

MiamiWesker said:
But a game like Ninja Gaiden rewards you for learning the combat system with a complex scoring system and rankings, also modes that require maximum skill. Does Other M have any of that?

In my experience with the game I feel myself getting progressively better.

MiamiWesker said:

Apparently, there's a hardmode that's unlocked that basically makes the game nearly unplayable unless you're mastered it.

Poyunch

Hiltz said:
As far as the problem with Samus handing control to Adam for his power suit abilities, the power bomb thing does make sense. However, that still does not explain why she can't have access to her other weapons and abilities like the different power beams and her varia suit. Heck, I hear there's one part in the game where Samus has to go through a
volcanic area and takes damage without her varia suit (at least until halfway or after the area is over with, I don't know when exactly she gets the varia suit) on which prevents heat damage.
It is annoying that Adam would let Samus get hurt in the volcano but
thankfully he's not that cruel and he lets Samus use the suit soon after.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Finally. I got to play this.

After following this thread for the last week it's nice to finally play the game for myself. I'm just getting started but it feels like I expected it would. The first few cutscenes were a little too long and I'm still adjusting to using the first person view in combat, but I like it a lot.

The controls outside of the first person stuff are great, I love the way it feels to control Samus, whether it's in combat or navigating environments. It's like Smash Bros Samus, very agile and quick. The combat feels right too and the auto aiming was a great decision. And my favorite thing about the controls is the dpad movement, I "got" it when I walked a circular platform by just holding right. It really is like playing a 2D game in a 3D space.

It's promising so far.

Boney

Banned
brandonh83 said:
She doesn't really care about stuff like that
So she does?

Lucille-Animated-gif-arrested-development-3695252-275-155.gif

dkeane

AceBandage said:
Yeah, also if you're shooting in one direction and quickly turn around and shoot Samus will crouch and shoot - has a great animation. Nice detail.

Teknoman

I think the story refresher with the prologue theme (when you load your save) should be in every future Metroid title.

Just make sure its the full theme next time.

Threi

notag
bluemax said:
Ive died twice while doing the concentrate shit. I get like 98% and some stupid thing flies at me and kills me.

This game is full of stupid design decisions so far. As a game developer I find a lot of it just baffling.
how is it a stupid design decision that you stood still in an area where you could be killed trying to replenish your health?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
YagizY said:
I'm having some problems with performing Lethal Strike. Do you charge your beam and then run toward the enemy or do you run to him and then charge? I had a really hard time with the roly poly guys in the forest area, I have no idea when to actually do lethal strike.
You need to have your beam charged and then just run at him while he's on the ground. The rest is automated for everyone except for one boss.

I also need some help. I'm pretty sure I'm nearing the end of the game
I'm at the Ridley fight which I need help with. I'm supposed to shoot lava or something and I have no idea what to do. If anyone has a clue, please fill me in.

Threi said:
how is it a stupid design decision that you stood still in an area where you could be killed trying to replenish your health?

I like it. I think it makes the battles a lot more intense because you're like come on do it do it do it FUCK

Boney

Banned
Threi said:
The screen is supposed to go from red to clear, while you do whatever obviously.

This game is a blast. I can see why people don't like the FPS segments, but I feel its very exaggerated. I have a feeling it has to do with people not having much experience with Wii FPS. Even COD4 Modern Warfare Reflex was bashed for its controls, but I found them much better than the 360 versions controls.

Sure pointing at the screen in the middle of combat is kinda pace-breaking, but I got the hang of it VERY fast. It's very powerful, and I assume they made it slow for balance reasons.

Threi said:

I think putting in the ability to recharge your health is the stupid design decision.

MadOdorMachine said:
I also need some help. I'm pretty sure I'm nearing the end of the game
I'm at the Ridley fight which I need help with. I'm supposed to shoot lava or something and I have no idea what to do. If anyone has a clue, please fill me in.
Scan the upper left area next to the door. It should look like a red dot. Scan it and you'll be able to move on from there.

Door2Dawn said:
Why is that good? D:

Because you're a badass when you beat them.

Poyunch

Yeah I think the game would have been much more clunky if I actually had control of the aiming with the pointer when in third person. I'm guessing it's due to the camera angle.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Impressions:

Presentation
cutscene are fine. look cool and voice acting is ok. The problem is the WRITING. the content is fine, but they are so overly narrated it sounds like a cartoon for a 1st grader. but overall, decent.

Graphics look cool. Prime ahead in art design, but other M looks sleek and clean.

Controls
dpad fine except for the over the shoulder segments. WHOSE IDEA WAS THIS? they are so unnecessary it is crazy.

switch to first person is fine except for the fact that you have to hold B to look. Why???
game would definitely benefit from nunchuck movement while in first person. no doubt whatsoever.

Auto aim. fine except you have to frequently run towards enemies to shoot them which doesnt make much sense. would benefit from directional pointer aiming as well.

I still believe that the game would be better with nunchuck controls. point to aim in third person, move while in 1st person. retain the wiimote only accesible option, but better control over your character is rarely a bad thing.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ok...

I'm in the first part where your forced into first person mode and you're supposed to find something. I don't understand what I'm looking for here. As there any indicator of where I'm supposed to look or is it just randomly placed? It's the grassy area.

Nevermind, I found it. That was silly.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
donkey show said:
Scan the upper left area next to the door. It should look like a red dot. Scan it and you'll be able to move on from there.

Because you're a badass when you beat them.
I got that part.
I'm in the fight itself. Ridley flew around the room and Samus told Anthony to leave. Now there's fire shooting out of the ground and Adam said to do something to the lava. I can't figure out what to do, but I needed to take a break anyway. I've been playing for a few hours. Thanks for the help btw.

The d-pad wouldn't be as bad if it weren't so tiny. I really wish Nintendo would have went with a larger d-pad and a button layout like the black controller below for the Wii remote. That would have been perfect imo. I hate that tiny ass d-pad on GC, I hate it on DS, I hate it on Wii and I'm gonna hate it on 3DS. I FREAKING HATE IT! It pisses me off that Nintendo uses it. Would it be so hard to make it bigger?
wii_prototypes_1.jpg

Top Bottom