• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

evangd007

Got the game (and the smexy art book) and played it a bit today.

Comment about the controls: I sincerely believe that the only people who have trouble with the controls are ones who seldom if ever play their Wii to the point that any control method without 2 sticks, 8 face buttons and 4 shoulder buttons is unplayable to them, because I had zero problem with anything in the game with regards to controls. First person is fine, d-pad is fine, and concentrate is way better than running around like an idiot while waiting for your health to spontaneously regenerate. Took a little while to get into the game proper, but once it started I couldn't put it down. Aside from the first hour or so, the story keeps the game pace going at a good clip, which is all I really ask for from a game's story since they are in my mind by and large crap. It's a serviceable sci-fi story with some anime melodrama. I can get behind that.

Is it just me or would the opening cinematic have been better if the narration had said "infant" in place of every instance of "baby"?

Loving the game so far. Definitely not perfect but a breath of fresh air.

Dont get me wrong, the prime series are in fact my favorite of the lot. (Metroid is and always has been my favorite game series, since super metroid) Which is not the norm I would imagine, but I am loving this melding of new and old. The first person stuff is pretty seem less, and although frustrating at first, I have quickly picked it up,a dn is working great for me now.

Loving the cinematic and storyline, its nice to not feel so isolated but still have the lone wolf thing goin. Not being supported by the team the entire time. It's really a great new take on it, am I'm excited to jump back in tomorrow when I'm not so tired.

scitek

Snuggler said:
Yeah, I found it. I was searching so long for that?

Yeah, it happens again three or four more times and it's even less obvious as nothing is moving around to tip you off. Just be ready, it's dumb.

MadOdorMachine said:
I got that part.
I'm in the fight itself. Ridley flew around the room and Samus told Anthony to leave. Now there's fire shooting out of the ground and Adam said to do something to the lava. I can't figure out what to do, but I needed to take a break anyway. I've been playing for a few hours. Thanks for the help btw.
Cool deal
, but keep scanning around the around the upper left area next to the door you had to scan. Once you find it, you'll get prompted to use super missiles. =)

Threi

notag
iconoclast said:
I think putting in the ability to recharge your health is the stupid design decision.
Why? It's simply a last ditch effort to save you from dying if you are able to find the time/space to do it. Where's the problem?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
scitek said:
Yeah, it happens again three or four more times and it's even less obvious as nothing is moving around to tip you off. Just be ready, it's dumb.

Strange design decision.

Aside from that it's been getting better and better, though, t'is a winner.

robor

scitek said:

What happens before these events. Anything cut-scene based?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Just got it! :D

Quick question: do I need to be online for the mandatory update?

It's on the Metroid disc. It says system update instead of displaying the game at first. It updated and I wasn't online.

I thought I was up to date, though.

scitek

robor said:
What happens before these events. Anything cut-scene based?

You know you're in one of them when the screen turns black-and-white because you're stuck in first-person mode and aren't pointing at the screen. You should then know to look for something out of place.

I don't get the complaints about the "screening mode"
Come on, it's REALLY easy to do 90% of the time. There was ONE instance where it took me longer than 30 seconds. Don't be so blind ;)

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Someone asked this earlier I believe but i can't find the response - will the update on this disc brick a HB wii?

scitek

schennmu said:
Come on, it's REALLY easy to do 90% of the time. There was ONE instance where it took me longer than 30 seconds. Don't be so blind ;)

Well, had you seen a hint of what to do from a review or anything before playing? I just don't like that the game just throws it at you out of nowhere the first time. That's all really.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
schennmu said:

Alright.
I'll stop being so blind.

It wasn't that clear as to what you're looking for or how you're supposed to scan. I was moving the cursor all over the screen but I couldn't find anything until that annoying sound effect cued me in on it. Oh well.

Boney

Banned
julls said:
Someone asked this earlier I believe but i can't find the response - will the update on this disc brick a HB wii?
Why should it? To my understanding, no update (from the same region) bricks wiis. I'm no expert though.

Hiltz

evangd007 said:
Got the game (and the smexy art book) and played it a bit today.

Is it just me or would the opening cinematic have been better if the narration had said "infant" in place of every instance of "baby"?

This.

I knew it sounded silly when Samus kept mentioning the word "baby" in the early game trailers that lead me to question the quality of the game's writing. However, Sakamoto and D-Rockets went over the deep end when they made named distress call code name: baby's cry and went on to have Samus elaborate on what that means by giving us the definiton of it. Why is it that some of these Japanese writers apparently have an issue with awkwardly obessing over a theme to the point where their hitting the viewers over the head with it?

I get that Other M is "mother" and there's numerous other references to the theme like baby metroid and Mother Brain and even the image of Samus as a fetus growing in space (star child/rebirth or whatever), but baby's cry? Really? Sakamoto, go suck on Samus's teat for crying out loud. I'm surprised they didn't name the Bottleship something like "The Birth Canal."

Salsa

Just defeated
------- ridley --------
. First boss fight that i found a bit hard, specially considering that it was a pain in the ass to find a moment where you could replenish your health.

Threi

notag
schennmu said:
Well its not so much being blind but more you don't know WTF you are supposed to look for.

first time with the ship emblem i got quickly because i saw that in previews, second time with the bush was easy as well because you see the bush moving beforehand - the camera angle before you walk to it is a BIG hint, the 3rd time took me a good 10 minutes before i realized you were supposed to look at the small critters off in the distance, the 4th one took me the longest, i looked all over the damn place, out of sheer luck my scanner locked on to the goo, and the 5th time i just kinda looked at the window and let lockon do the rest.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Boney said:
Why should it? To my understanding, no update (from the same region) bricks wiis. I'm no expert though.
I'm just being wary..

Thanks. I'll do some reading around just to make sure - won't be here til next week.

Teknoman

Now thats what i'm talking about. The
Biological experiments
room theme should've played for a decent amount of Sector 1's early darker areas.

I'm an hour or two in and LOVING it. Holy shit, I guess my expectations were so low that now I'm thoroughly enjoying myself. And I may have lost some skills over the years but I'm not having an easy time with this. In fact I've died a few times so far and I'm pretty happy with the challenge level. Despite the bumpy start and horrid cast of characters the actual game is top-notch.

scitek

julls said:
I'm just being wary..

Thanks. I'll do some reading around just to make sure - won't be here til next week.

I think it will uninstall your Homebrew, but not brick your Wii. Ask in the Wii homebrew thread.

EDIT: Someone who's beaten the game 100% help me out.
How do I collect the power-up in the distance right after getting off the ship? The door next to it is locked and I can't figure it out, it's driving me nuts.

scitek said:
Well, had you seen a hint of what to do from a review or anything before playing? I just don't like that the game just throws it at you out of nowhere the first time. That's all really.

Nope, I avoided reviews to go in unspoiled.

Threi said:
Well its not so much being blind but more you don't know WTF you are supposed to look for.

first time with the ship emblem i got quickly because i saw that in previews, second time with the bush was easy as well because you see the bush moving beforehand - the camera angle before you walk to it is a BIG hint, the 3rd time took me a good 10 minutes before i realized you were supposed to look at the small critters off in the distance, the 4th one took me the longest, i looked all over the damn place, out of sheer luck my scanner locked on to the goo, and the 5th time i just kinda looked at the window and let lockon do the rest.

Yep, the goo was a bit annoying. I guess having green goo splattered all over the place is just too ordinary to notice in a Metroid game.
It's a little bit like playing detective and I like that.

Giolon

So I've put about 3 hours into the game and so far I love it! I've been a Metroid fan since Super, so I'm not new tot he series. I don't really agree with most of the bitching I've read over the past few days. Sure, the dialog is silly at points and the delivery is flat, but I can't think of the last time that stopped me from enjoying a movie like Alien. The gameplay is an almost perfect fusion between Ninja Gaiden and Metroid. I'd have liked to see some health pick ups as sometimes I run low (but not low enough for the recovery move...which is silly).

All in all I'm having a blast. Samus's relationship w/ Adam doesn't seem sexist to me as G4 tried to play it off. It also doesn't seem out of character to me because Samus hasn't really ever had much of any character at all - and the narration does explain Samus's reactions.

I won't go on record saying it's the best Metroid evar so far, but hey I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Now to take a break and try out some of VC2...

Woo! Beat hard mode!
A shame you can't do the post game stuff afterwards, but man was Queeny Metroid annoying.

Anyway, I'm uploading some hard mode boss battle vids. Will post when they go up.

Cygnus X-1

Amir0x said:
Game is decent so far. It's another case where it simply is living in the fumes of much, much better offerings in the franchise, and they had too many ill-conceived ideas.

But it's not awful, it's definitely like a 7.0 game or something. The person who came up with the idea not to use the nunchuck and the first person transition bullshit should definitely be the first person shitcanned on the next Metroid game. A my first game design student could have come up with a better idea.

This person, was Sakamoto. He asked a Wiimote-only gameplay personally.

JohngPR said:
That's not the way Team Ninja remembers it.

Hayashi- First off, Sakamoto-san said 'I want to create a Metroid game that can be played with just one Wii Remote controller'. I didn't really understand what he meant.

Exactly this citation.

Poyunch

What I can't be that deep into it? I've only had it for a day!?!?!
I fought Ridley and saw Anthony die.
:(

Also
the Screw Attack looks and feels sexy. Much better than how it felt in Echoes.

Hylian7

I bought it today.

I approached this game with an open mind, not expecting to be another Super Metroid or even as great as the Prime series, but I still expected a good game. My expectations seem to be about right, and I am enjoying the game right now.

The story isn't that bad, I don't know why the entire internet is up in flames over this. Samus's VA is the only thing that annoys me about it right now. I just got into Sector 2 if you wanted to know.

The gameplay is quite nice, however I wish there were Nunchuk controls. Scrapping the first-person mode in favor of a Nunchuk-controller IR-aiming control scheme from third person would have been better. Even though there is slowmo when you go into first person, it still feels too hectic sometimes, especially when you do it facing the wrong direction, and you needed to get a missile out quickly.

The linearity I'm not really happy about. While it's not bad, I would still prefer an open-ended Super Metroid style game. I don't know yet if this game ever opens up or not, but I'm guessing it does in some fashion, as I noticed things like Grapple Beam points early in the game, so something tells me I'll be coming back there either by the mission or voluntarily. The upgrade system is really strange. I don't like the thing about "use it when Adam says so". It removes the feeling of finding the items yourself. Remember when you first found the Power Bomb in Super Metroid? That was a really cool moment just to be like "what is this thing I'm about to pick up?", then you get it and it's incredibly cool. There do seem to be some items that are acquired by just picking them up (expansions, the spreaded charge thing that I forget what it's called).

Overall I'm enjoying it so far. To enjoy this one, you have to just approach it with an open mind, and don't expect another Super Metroid. If you just enjoy it for what it is, you'll like it as a game, but not necessarily a Metroid game.

Cygnus X-1

Amir0x said:
Precisely. If these gameplay changes worked and made the game better, or at least different but equally good, then it would be accepted. Look at Prime, a radical departure in many extremely major ways. Widely accepted and loved.

The problem is the changes are by and large for the worse.

Yeah, I second that. It would be logic from Sakamoto from now on to return over some of its decisions. I hope he will really think about it.

Giolon

JohngPR said:
Speaking of which, how is the art book? The $20 Amazon credit was too good for me to pass up. :p

It's not that great. Just a bunch of screenshots and art renders we've already seen printed in sub-inkjet quality on tagboard stock. They're not even glossy and the PPI is pitifully low. You did well with your $20 credit.

Red

Chet Rippo said:
Not that hard given those two are the weakest of the bunch, in my opinion anyways.
Corruption is definitely the weakest, but Fusion is pretty good. I'd probably say Hunters and Corruption are the two weak links of the series, with Hunters being just a bit better. I like Fusion a lot, more than Metroid 1 and Metroid 2, but less than the others. So Other M falls right under Echoes for me, then, which is high praise indeed.

I have never ever liked Wii remote aiming. It's awful, I aim one way and the cursor moves the other. I wait five seconds for the game to register me trying to aim missiles before I start flailing my arm around to get results. Sometimes Samus inexplicably begins turning in circles. It's the same set of issues I ran into when playing Corruption, but at least I'm not stuck in first person mode for an entire game. It's such a pain though. I can never get the controller to respond the way I want it to.

braves01 said:
I'll concede that Hunters and Corruption are weak links, but Hunters is far and away the worst game with the word Metroid in the title.
I disagree. I thought Hunters was pretty bad, but Corruption is an abomination. I couldn't stand it. Mentioned that a few times in this thread already :lol

Anyway, other people liked it. That's fine, good for them. I'm not going to try and convince them not to like it since I'm not completely bitter.

Hylian7

strx said:
You haven't beat it yet. You don't know how bad it gets.
I've heard a bit of the bitching about a certain scene involving a certain nemesis:
Ridley
, but I think I might be able to guess most of the plot from here, and it doesn't sound that bad. Tell me if I'm even close.

Galactic Federation is breeding Metroids, secret lab of them will be found, they all contain the baby's DNA

braves01

Banned
Crunched said:
Corruption is definitely the weakest, but Fusion is pretty good. I'd probably say Hunters and Corruption are the two weak links of the series, with Hunters being just a bit better. I like Fusion a lot, more than Metroid 1 and Metroid 2, but less than the others. So Other M falls right under Echoes for me, then, which is high praise indeed.

I'll concede that Hunters and Corruption are weak links, but Hunters is far and away the worst game with the word Metroid in the title.

Poyunch

Hylian7 said:
I've heard a bit of the bitching about a certain scene involving a certain nemesis:
Ridley
, but I think I might be able to guess most of the plot from here, and it doesn't sound that bad. Tell me if I'm even close.

Galactic Federation is breeding Metroids, secret lab of them will be found, they all contain the baby's DNA
The
Ridley
scene is okay. It starts out okay because no one really expected
Space Pirates
were involved but it does get a little melodramatic.

Salsa

Hylian7 said:
Ridley

Seriously, what is the point of making a spoiler tag like that ? :lol mmhh, lets think how many Samus nemesis can fit into that tiny black bar.

Just got the Wave Beam. This game, so far, is awesome. The only thing I dislike is the fucking first person view controls. Sakamoto, please don't do this shit again and just use either the nunchuck or classic controller.

JohngPR

Giolon said:
It's not that great. Just a bunch of screenshots and art renders we've already seen printed in sub-inkjet quality on tagboard stock. They're not even glossy and the PPI is pitifully low. You did well with your $20 credit.

Sounds like the preorder artbook I got for MGS4 from Gamestop. :-/

Crunched said:
Corruption is definitely the weakest, but Fusion is pretty good. I'd probably say Hunters and Corruption are the two weak links of the series, with Hunters being just a bit better.

To be honest, I completely forgot about Hunters for a second there. :lol

As for your aiming problem, you might be sitting to close to the sensor.

Top Bottom