• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Salsa

Hylian7 said:
Kraid, M.Brain

Awh c´mon :lol

Im not even mad or anything though, if you dont want to be spoiled at this point one could easily just avoid the thread.

Shouldnt we have a story discussion thread without spoiler tags btw ?

AniHawk

I just started it. Movie's playing right now so I have the TV on mute and I'm on the computer.

Oh shit, time to go next door.

Salsa

strx said:
I am in favor of a story thread. I'd like to hear how people could possibly like it because I just don't understand.

Well yeah, it isnt going to be a "debating" thread or anything, maybe just talk about the things you liked and didnt liked, how it could have been better, idk whatever. I like when we have a spoiler-tag free thread besides the hype one. And since it would be the first metroid thread regarding an actual story :p

JohngPR

I don't know about you guys, but I still get the feeling of isolation in this game despite the fact that you are not alone.

scitek

AniHawk said:
Okay, movie time again. Samus is about to head into outer space and get a phone call from the President of Space.

"Corben Dallas, on the behalf of two hundred billion of your fellow citizens, I would like to thank you..."

Diffense

Well, I have about 4 hours of play time under my belt and it's been a blast.
IMO, it feels like Metroid Zero Mission in 3D.

I have not had any issues with the controls.
Samus controls in the third person just as she does in the 2D games.
The auto-aim is implemented in such a way that you play it like a 2D metroid as well.
You just face the enemy and Samus hits it; I think that aspect is perfect.
Compared to how TERRIBLE some reviewers' gamplay videos were, my playing has been pro.
Pulling off Overblasts and Lethal Strikes has been fun and Samus' quickness is so refereshing.

I found the switch to first person view responsive and quick and also effected several dodges out of the mode just when I needed it.
The one thing that fekt a bit 'clunky' and took some getting used to is the need to hold the B button to scroll your view in the first person.
But I guess this was done because they needed to differentiate between your desire to leave the mode and your desire to turn in first person.
After the first hour of play, I was already used to this mechanic and I have to say that it's a non-issue now.

In the dramatic over-the-shoulder sections Samus moves at a walking pace so it feels slow compared to her lightning fast movements in the normal view.
So far, I've found these perspectives to be used strictly to create tension in exploration sections and I haven't had to fight like this.
The directional controls feel a bit more sensitive here but there was no prolonged issue as I automatically adjusted.
I find that the best approach in these sections is to rock the D-pad in a way that gives you quick access to diagonals as well as the orthogonal directions.
Perhaps this is the only view where the nunchuk would have improved control but it's also the least important view.

So far, the story has been very unintrusive and not particularly interesting (but I'm early).
Most of the minutes of cutscenes I watched in the first four hours were the ones I'd already seen at the beginning of the game from videos online.
There have been a few others, but none of the length of the opening scenes and I welcomed them after playing for a while.
Adam is ordering you around but it feels no different from the guidance of the Chozo statues in Zero Mission or the Computer in Fusion.
There is a target on your map but you still have to get there and sometimes by some obscured paths.

The things I still dread are those sections where you are stuck in first person and have to identify some miniscule object in the environment to continue playing.
They are definitely not my favourite but at this point I've actually become quite good at figuring out what the game wants me to look at which is strangely fulfilling.

Overall, I'm having a lot of fun and looking forward to finishing the game.
To me, it really feels like another Metroid game in the Zero Mission -> Fusion lineage but in 3D.
In other news, G4 TV is officially full of faeces.

big_z

slightly past where you first get to to desert area. so far this is the best 3D ninja gaiden game tecmo has made, however this is the worst metroid game in the series. (except for maybe hunters which i never played).

when i finish it i'll post more detailed thoughts but right now i think nintendo made a huge mistake going with team ninja. the guys that made shadow complex would have been a good choice as they understand metroid far more than these guys.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Anyone awake with a quick tip on where I should be looking in this free-look moment:
when Lyle is down
?

Edit: Figured it out. Didn't even see
the goo on the ground, just saw tons of green grass/soil texture

Enjoying it a bit more after those tips about the combat, though I've since encountered more obnoxious free-look bits and the over-the-shoulder weirdness.

kiryogi

Banned
Just started up Hard mode and ran thru it for a bit. Oh man. The boss in Sector 3 was a giant PITA. I know it's no comparison to whats ahead. Only 3 hits to survive. But man some of it's behavior was so hard to predict. Couldn't tell when to jump or dodge correctly :lol I'm up to Sector 2 now.

And another gameplay note... for those that have finished or maybe at least gotten to sector 2

Anyone know if you can do Lethal Strikes or Overblast on that fanged wolf creatures? It seems like all you can do is blast them and missile them

Donkey_show: Fucking badass at your videos. I am not looking forward to that :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The fight with the
larvae hide thing
was kind of a pain in the ass. I've gotten better at switching to first person for missiles but it still doesn't feel natural.
Everything else feels good though. It took me forever just to make a little progress, so it definitely feels like I'm playing a Metroid game.

I really wish there were some nods to the prime games. Some sheegoths in sector 2 or something. There's another comparison to Sakamoto and Lucas. Ignoring the expanded universe.

strideramc

Digging the game so far. Not crazy about the control scheme, but I am getting used to it. Hopefully if we get a sequel we will get a control option that so many are asking for.

Diffense

strx said:
I really wish there were some nods to the prime games. Some sheegoths in sector 2 or something. There's another comparison to Sakamoto and Lucas. Ignoring the expanded universe.

I though the exploding gas things were straight out of corruption.
I can't remember them in the 2D games but maybe I just forgot.

kiryogi

Banned
Diffense said:
I though the exploding gas things were straight out of corruption.
I can't remember them in the 2D games but maybe I just forgot.

The floating air things? They've been there since Super Metroid.

markot

Banned
strx said:
Cmon, he cant be as bad as Lucas.

scitek

No way he's as bad as Lucas. I'm convinced the translation was just shot to shit. The dialogue reeks of nonsensical run-on sentences that no natively English-speaking person would ever write out. Samus rambles for thirty seconds about things that should only take her five to say, and I get totally lost in the process.

hamchan

scitek said:
No way he's as bad as Lucas. I'm convinced the translation was just shot to shit. The dialogue reeks of nonsensical run-on sentences that no natively English-speaking person would ever write out. Samus rambles for thirty seconds about things that should only take her five to say, and I get totally lost in the process.

Oh no that's just Japanese writing.

Ramirez

The FP controls are clumsy at best, especially when you have 30 things flying around you. :lol

I'm liking it so far, about 2 hours in, got stuck, and I'm tired, I'll figure it out tomorrow.

Osuwari

scitek said:

some J-Gaffer should get the japanese version and compare with the english one to see if it was really a bad translation and VA work.

Superblatt said:
I will say, I can't remember the last time GAF turned so hard against a big name franchise that ACTUALLY took a risk. I won't even get started on the hypocrisy that abounds in this thread, but I will say this...

How many Halo, Mario, Metroid, and Zelda games do we play that are exactly the same? Would you have preferred this was more like Twilight Princess? I don't know about you guys, but I'm at the point in my life where I'm pretty damn happy with the modernization of classic franchises we've seen in the past 10 years --- INCLUDING the Prime series. In other words, I've experienced those rebirths. They've been done and DONE well. It's now time to move past that. After all, where's the fun when you already know the gameplay, know the sound effects, know the music, and know the story before you even power the game on??

Think for a moment about a major AAA franchise that you've played that threw you for as much of a loop as Other M has. Can't, can you? Why do you think that is? Because major studios aren't allowed to take risks! Nintendo is one of the few that does, and for that I commend them. Major gameplay changes to classic formulas produce the kind of reaction we've seen on GAF this week. It can potentially lead to catastrophic failure, but more often than not, the best developers take the biggest risks -- and sometimes it works. When they do, we finally get new genres (Grand Theft Auto) and new play mechanics that we've never experienced ever before (Other M, Mario Galaxy). To those developers I say - AMEN brotha.

Is everyone going to like the risks the developers took with Other M? Fuck no -- of course not. But to slam Sakamoto for actually taking this franchise beyond its traditional boundaries, which Retro was afraid to push (I know, first person was a big deal at the time), is pure unadulterated lunacy. The best franchises take the BIGGEST risks, and are often initially scolded for doing so. Don't believe me? Just look how far the tide has turned on Wind Waker.

What do I think? I say CONGRATS to Sakamoto and Team Ninja for mixing it up. Good story, bad story -- whatever. Bottom line is it's a new take on a classic franchise I adore. I actually have had to learn how to play the game, which is a welcome feeling that I rarely experience these days.

If I just wanted to play Super Metroid or Metroid Prime again I'd just pop 'em in and replay them.

Agreed, now and forever ;-)

Osuwari

scitek said:
I think it will uninstall your Homebrew, but not brick your Wii. Ask in the Wii homebrew thread.

EDIT: Someone who's beaten the game 100% help me out.
How do I collect the power-up in the distance right after getting off the ship? The door next to it is locked and I can't figure it out, it's driving me nuts.

the room that has the entrance to the first bathroom has a morph hole

I'm about two hours in, and the script is horseshit. I'm actually embarrassed for Sakamoto. Samus' inner monologue reads like a high school fanfic, no exaggeration.

Gameplay is a bit more of a mixed bag. It's a weird hodgepodge of mechanics. Hard to believe the goal here was simple intuitive controls, because this is much, much, much more convoluted than any of the 2D games.

I will say it's good to see some old school enemies properly represented in 3D though. The flora and fauna definitely feel more metroid-y to me than the Prime series.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
:lol at the cutscene and dialogue hate. Its no fucking worse than Metal Gear Solid.

Though, really, that isn't saying much.

AniHawk said:
I thought it was abnormally well-written for a video game too.
I've got to dig up a prescient post I made before Other M game launched. I was dumbfounded that an actual cut scene sounded just like a joke I made about the game.

edit:

8/23

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Boney said:
It's an order missy!
ok not really, keep them coming though
These were the words Adam Malkovich spoke as I stood before him, and they stabbed at my heart. Yet I knew I would be following orders from my gruff commander without protest, powerless as I was to his strong paternal influence. My thoughts turned again to the baby, and what its sacrifice meant to me as a confused young woman, shielding are her true emotions behind a polished metal exterior.

:p
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22962322&postcount=210

I swear to Jesus this exact scene is in the game. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Metroid: Other M Lead Personnel

Producer, Director & Story Yoshio Sakamoto (Nintendo SPD1)
Producer, Director Yosuke Hayashi (Team Ninja)
Cinematic Director Ryuzi Kitaura (D-Rockets)
Director Takehiko Hosokawa (Nintendo SP1)
Engineering Lead Taiyo Aramaki (Team Ninja)
Art Director Takayasu Morisawa (Nintendo SPD1)
Art Director Yutaka Saito (Team Ninja)
Music Kuniaki Haishima (Independent)

Well die hard Metroid fans can at least take comfort that Takehiko Hosokawa still works at Nintendo. (Metroid Zero Mission, Metroid Fusion, Wario Land designer). There was no trace of him since Metroid: Zero Mission.

AniHawk

3 hours in and I just entered Norfair. I remember when I was 3 hours into Metroid Prime, it was two months after I bought the game, and I had told myself I was going to get back into it after those first two hours.

That said, my main problems come from the large 3D rooms (not the slow walking stuff- the big non sidescrolling things). The game hasn't really attempted to blow my mind with the level design
except for the rising water stuff
, but it's not bad either. I do like the boss fights and the combat's pretty good. I think there might be too much of it though, and I think Team Ninja was wrong to make it "more 3D" than what Sakamoto wanted.

The (poor) quality of the story is overblown, but it is completely unnecessary and jarring. I also like Samus's voice actor, and Adam's is good too. They're both a little hit and miss, but they don't have a lot to work with either.

Right now I'd rank this below the other three Metroid games I've played (still haven't gone through Return of Samus), but I can tell it's going to be a much longer game than all of them, so I'm hoping things start getting crazy soon.

Teknoman said:
Is it just me or were the people who were streaming before release day playing a different build? There were no shadows in their gameplay streams, but in retail Samus has a shadow.

Also
wasnt there an accel charge in the first bathroom stall
?

what sector is this in. I totally passed it.

robor

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Well die hard Metroid fans can at least take comfort that Takehiko Hosokawa still works at Nintendo. (Metroid Zero Mission, Metroid Fusion, Wario Land designer). There was no trace of him since Metroid: Zero Mission.

All hail Hosokawa! One of my heroes for sure.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
AniHawk said:
The (poor) quality of the story is overblown, but it is completely unnecessary and jarring. I also like Samus's voice actor, and Adam's is good too. They're both a little hit and miss, but they don't have a lot to work with either.

Same. In fact, its blatantly obvious Samus' actress is high quality, and that all the problems lie in the writing and likely voice directing. If I recall correctly from some interview, the voice actress for Samus (both regions) was directed to sound flat and emotionally guarded. She's doing it here, and doing her best to salvage the dialogue, but every slip up is just the convoluted writing. Which, again, is in no way worse than the crap in every single Metal Gear Solid title.

There's nothing wrong with her character either, not so far. She fits the mould that Fusion made, and absolutely nothing said or done so far conflicts with her actions in any of the past Metroid games, nor her canon history.

Seems to me a bunch of people built their own idea up of Samus out of nothing and are now hurt she doesn't match. I don't blame those people since I did the same thing, and it was all anybody could do, but it doesn't make the Samus we have as terrible as some have made it out to be.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
EatChildren said:
:lol at the cutscene and dialogue hate. Its no fucking worse than Metal Gear Solid.

Though, really, that isn't saying much.
I beg to differ. MGS hams it up pretty bad, but I believe the voice work is significantly better and a lot of the cutscenes are genuinely well directed (at least the action sequences). The music was also memorable and enhanced the experience.

Perhaps if you're only talking about the MGS4 dialog sequences. MGS1 and 3 were much better than Other M in this regard.

I suppose one can't forget that while MGS story telling sequences have indeed become dated, but they were very impressive back in 1998.

kiryogi

Banned
EatChildren said:
Same. In fact, its blatantly obvious Samus' actress is high quality, and that all the problems lie in the writing and likely voice directing. If I recall correctly from some interview, the voice actress for Samus (both regions) was directed to sound flat and emotionally guarded. She's doing it here, and doing her best to salvage the dialogue, but every slip up is just the convoluted writing. Which, again, is in no way worse than the crap in every single Metal Gear Solid title.

There's nothing wrong with her character either, not so far. She fits the mould that Fusion made, and absolutely nothing said or done so far conflicts with her actions in any of the past Metroid games, nor her canon history.

Seems to me a bunch of people built their own idea up of Samus out of nothing and are now hurt she doesn't match. I don't blame those people since I did the same thing, and it was all anybody could do, but it doesn't make the Samus we have as terrible as some have made it out to be.

You are correct. But it wasn't only the directing, I believe I recall Sakamoto handpicked folk weren't as professional? Samus is meant to be socially awkward considering her lifestyle and past. So yes as flat and horrible it may seem, that's who Samus really is.

To quote further. Here's what Sakamoto had to say for when picking the JP actress
- Because Samus is not "very good at living like a normal human being", and doesn't talk much, when it came to choosing the voice actress [Ai Kobayashi] they wanted someone who could speak in an unsophisticated, direct manner, rather than someone with very good technique.

And here on the english side of things of how they handled it...

Bitmob: Was it difficult figuring out who should voice Samus?

NB: It was tough, certainly...but no tougher than with any of our other properties. We went through the same casting procedures like we usually do. We had a ton of auditions....

Bitmob: I mean, is there more pressure on you guys because this is a traditionally mute character?

NB: I think so. The beauty of it is, we listened to the auditions then sent them over to Sakamoto-san, who's "daddy" [laughs]. He's the father of the character. We let him listen to the voices and let him sync it up with what whatever voice he was hearing in his head for Samus.

Bitmob: Does he hear the original Samus in English in his head, then?

NB: For him it's more about the timbre in the voice and the way it sounds. Of course, we can say, "OK, this inflection sounds great" -- stuff that's more particular to the English voice that he may not pick up on. But what he's really listening for is something else. It's the quality of the voice...the method of delivery that matches what he hears when he's in Samus' head.

Having him run that process lets us sleep easy at night. We want to bring his vision to life, you know? Localizing the game is all about that -- all about bringing their vision over here and making sure it's true to how he sees it. Hopefully we've accomplished that.

EatChildren

dark10x said:
I beg to differ. MGS hams it up pretty bad, but I believe the voice work is significantly better and a lot of the cutscenes are genuinely well directed (at least the action sequences). The music was also memorable and enhanced the experience.

Perhaps if you're only talking about the MGS4 dialog sequences. MGS1 and 3 were much better than Other M in this regard.

I suppose one can't forget that while MGS story telling sequences have indeed become dated, but they were very impressive back in 1998.

On average I'd agree that MGS and MGS3 are above Other M, but as a whole the MGS is just as campy and tackily written.

Samus' whole "I was young and wreckless...I didn't understand...plus the baby" is no worse than Snake's "Mrrmm...fighting is all I understand...but now I understand life...mrrmm" or Otakon's endless parade of overblown emotional issues.

Mind you, I'm not trying to say Other M's writing and directing is good, I'm just saying that after years of putting up with laughable writing and cutscenes from a number of franchises I'm not finding it as bad as others have made it out to be.

kiryogi said:
You are correct. But it wasn't only the directing, I believe I recall Sakamoto handpicked folk weren't as professional? Samus is meant to be socially awkward considering my lifestyle and past. So yes as flat and horrible it may seem, that's who Samus really is.

I know, but I dont really have any problem with that, and still feel that the acting issues are not anywhere near as much of a problem as the writing itself. Extended monologues that repeat bloated emotional trauma and past issues. It could be a translation or cultural issue, or it could be just shitty writing. Either way, I'm not blaming the actress.

kiryogi

Banned
Yknow if its of any amusement. During my replay on hard today, I was going thru that thumbs down scene. My sister being a nongamer and all, commented about how it was actually a pretty cute gesture and thing Samus did. She liked it. She was surprised this was Samus. It got her to ask me more questions about how she came to be and etc. :lol It makes me wonder how casuals take to this compared to NeoGaf and elitists alike.

Desiato

I just got my European copy. Bye guys.

EDIT: Fucking update. The bar seems to be stuck.:/
EDIT: What the hell, it updated twice. Oh well, now I can play.

Mithos

Gold Member
Desiato said:

Scary shit isn't it :lol :lol

AniHawk

Desiato said:

One possibility is that you're living in two timelines simultaneously.

EatChildren

AniHawk said:
One possibility is that you're living in two timelines simultaneously.

Flooded Hyrule or no?

Desiato said:

It seems to want to reset my Wii when I select Start for Other:M and then I can select it again and play.

Top Bottom