• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

Doopliss

Eurogamer are now reporting that the game is NOT discontinued in the UK. I would link but they don't deserve the clicks after reporting it was discontinued in the first place without checking their facts (CVG and MCV also had similarly incorrect stories, I dunno if there are any other big UK games sites).

It's sold out basically everywhere now except ebay, amazon marketplace etc. where the prices became well inflated, but I guess it'll start coming back into stock over the next couple of weeks. Good going, UK gaming journalism.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
not surprising as it would make ZERO sense to discontinue a game mere months after release when you have another game in the franchise coming out at the end of this year.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
borghe said:
not surprising as it would make ZERO sense to discontinue a game mere months after release when you have another game in the franchise coming out at the end of this year.

Well to be fair, the PRIME series IS completed.

Phoenixus

Got this just after Christmas (hint; some UK Sainsbury's stores have it for £15; utter bargain :) ), and wow, best collection ever. :D

Prime 1 was once again amazing, but Prime 2 does feel fairly tedious in comparison; just got the Boost Ball ability back so I'm hoping it picks up a bit . Won't be playing Corruption until I've finished Echoes, but can't wait. :D

Phoenixus said:
Got this just after Christmas (hint; some UK Sainsbury's stores have it for £15; utter bargain :) ), and wow, best collection ever.
Sainsbury's has lots of bargains like super Mario Galaxy for £10 and Walk with me for £6 but alas all my local stores have rubbish gaming sections so no luck for me.

Doopliss said:
It's sold out basically everywhere now except ebay, amazon marketplace etc. where the prices became well inflated, but I guess it'll start coming back into stock over the next couple of weeks. Good going, UK gaming journalism.
That's right; It got people panic buying. Chart-wise the game managed to get to 26 in the Wii charts for week (10th-16th). I don't recall seeing the game in stock online after the 10th or the 11th...

The week before (3rd-9th) the news was only a couple of days old at that time and hadn't really spread (panic) across the internet.

Phoenixus said:
Got this just after Christmas (hint; some UK Sainsbury's stores have it for £15; utter bargain :) ), and wow, best collection ever. :D

Prime 1 was once again amazing, but Prime 2 does feel fairly tedious in comparison; just got the Boost Ball ability back so I'm hoping it picks up a bit . Won't be playing Corruption until I've finished Echoes, but can't wait. :D

Metroid Prime 2 definitely gets better the further you get into it. And the bosses are some of the best in any videogame, ever.

So I just got the Power Bomb in MP2. Finally. Probably the most places I've had to backtrack to so far in MP2 yet. Seriously, they should have made some of the denzium things a material that you could destroy with Super Missiles instead, as those seem underused. Also, the Seeker Missiles are awesome. Should have been in the first game. The gravity boost is also a better way of doing the gravity suit. Oh, and I thought it was cool that
the Spider Ball Guardian was a sidescrolling morph ball section
, even if it was kind of annoying. That reminds me, at first, I thought they had improved the Boost Ball since the first game, but then they go and
make you boost off of spider ball tracks.
Ugh. Oh, also my roommates think it's funny how many of the enemies you kill by shooting them in the butt.

Osuwari

cooljeanius said:
So I just got the Power Bomb in MP2. Finally. Probably the most places I've had to backtrack to so far in MP2 yet. Seriously, they should have made some of the denzium things a material that you could destroy with Super Missiles instead, as those seem underused. Also, the Seeker Missiles are awesome. Should have been in the first game. The gravity boost is also a better way of doing the gravity suit. Oh, and I thought it was cool that
the Spider Ball Guardian was a sidescrolling morph ball section
, even if it was kind of annoying. That reminds me, at first, I thought they had improved the Boost Ball since the first game, but then they go and
make you boost off of spider ball tracks.
Ugh. Oh, also my roommates think it's funny how many of the enemies you kill by shooting them in the butt.

mp2 is definitely the most backtrack-heavy of the 3. the item balance isn't very good since some weapons are overpowered/underpowered (Dark Beam is way too strong for example and the beam combos are pretty crappy/waste too much ammo). seekers work better with wii aiming but sadly the game barely used them outside 5-point locks (they're used more in mp3 but they miss a lot more)
i really liked boosting off spider tracks. i actually feel odd when i try it in mp1 and remember it doesn't work there (i played mp2 first back in the day so i thought that was a normal move)

Osuwari said:
seekers work better with wii aiming but sadly the game barely used them outside 5-point locks
Those might be the only place you have to use them, but I find myself using them all the time whenever there are swarms of small enemies, like War Wasps and stuff.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
I'm so pissed right now. I decided to play this game tonight. Popped in the disk, started Metroid Prime 1, went through the first boss, somehow never saw a save place (I still don't know what one looks like) and got to the countdown section...died...holy...fuck...it started me at the beginning. WTF!? That has to be the worst impression left on me in a long time for a supposed AAA title. The save should have been fucking obvious. It's the first game in the series, I've never seen a save station, I still have no clue what one would look like, I'm getting acclimated to the horrid control scheme (jump is trigger and fire is A) and it lets you die and go AAAAAALLL the way back to the mother fucking start. 40 minutes down the tubes, and now I have to go through the atrocious training section again.

Oh, and HEY, let's introduce NEW skills to the player in the MIDDLE of a timed section!!! You've just shown me 6 new skills, I'm still fumbling with the controls, and hey let's do a timed section, 1, great idea, 2, let's throw in some new skills as time is running out, awesome idea, then let's not have checkpoints, superb, then let's not make the save obvious at the start of the game so the player can go back to the mother fucking intro and start aaaaalllll over. FUCK!

This is the first game I've played where I'm using the wii remote to control the camera. This feels just like the first time I played prime back on the Cube. It was one of the first games I played with camera controls, and so I spent half the time fighting the controls. Here I am again, fighting the controls, learning a new control scheme.

It's too bad, Super Metroid is probably my favorite game of all time, and just have never been able to get into the Prime stuff. I honestly don't know if I can go back, I'm SO pissed about having to start the game over. No checkpoints. This feels like a relic.

Also, what the fuck is with the visor controls where you have to scan shit? Could they have made that any more cumbersome? Jeesh, why can't I just run up to something, point at it, and click one fucking button to get the desired result? It's a chore to do scans in this game. Click minus, aim up, let go, then click the Z button to scan. Seriously?! And then let's make 50 fucking things to scan in every room. Unreal. Down to fire missiles?! REALLY? The controls in this game are the biggest mind fuck I've seen in ages. I'm so bummed. I want to love the Prime games, but man...

stalker

From what he explains I guess he run out of time, probably by losing a lot of time in the grappling section. That part I can agree with in his post, it never made sense to include that in a timed sequence.

drakesfortune

..pakbeka.. said:
you died during the prologue?

Time ran out because I didn't see the stupid things hanging from the ceiling that I was magically supposed to know that I was supposed to sling across, being that this is the first time in the game you are presented with those things. So first, I didn't see them and I ran around like a chicken with my head cut off, trying to jump up. By the time I noticed the things on the ceiling, I was screwed. Then I had to stop, go back to the entrance, read the text, then fumble with yet another cumbersome control (slinging), and finally got across.

Are you really saying that it's good game design to have no checkpoints in almost an hours worth of play, and no obvious save point, and then to throw in a timed section where if you fail you start the game over? Seriously. I haven't seen anything like it in a long time.

drakesfortune said:
Time ran out because I didn't see the stupid things hanging from the ceiling that I was magically supposed to know that I was supposed to sling across, being that this is the first time in the game you are presented with those things. So first, I didn't see them and I ran around like a chicken with my head cut off, trying to jump up. By the time I noticed the things on the ceiling, I was screwed. Then I had to stop, go back to the entrance, read the text, then fumble with yet another cumbersome control (slinging), and finally got across.

Are you really saying that it's good game design to have no checkpoints in almost an hours worth of play, and no obvious save point, and then to throw in a timed section where if you fail you start the game over? Seriously. I haven't seen anything like it in a long time.
An hour's worth of play? People have beaten the entire game in just over an hour.

drakesfortune said:

there is a save point two rooms before the boss

Boney

Banned
I just can't believe you missed the save station. Sucks for you man, it really does. If you're so pissed I recommend waiting a few days before trying again, or maybe try the GC version if you haven't already. But pointer makes Metroid awesome (except for visor switching, which d-pad worked wonders).

And I believe you can switch between A and B's actions in options. And you can change the sensitivity, I recommend the faster one though.

MYE

drakesfortune said:
I'm so pissed right now. I decided to play this game tonight. Popped in the disk, started Metroid Prime 1, went through the first boss, somehow never saw a save place (I still don't know what one looks like) and got to the countdown section...died...holy...fuck...it started me at the beginning. WTF!? That has to be the worst impression left on me in a long time for a supposed AAA title. The save should have been fucking obvious. It's the first game in the series, I've never seen a save station, I still have no clue what one would look like, I'm getting acclimated to the horrid control scheme (jump is trigger and fire is A) and it lets you die and go AAAAAALLL the way back to the mother fucking start. 40 minutes down the tubes, and now I have to go through the atrocious training section again.

Oh, and HEY, let's introduce NEW skills to the player in the MIDDLE of a timed section!!! You've just shown me 6 new skills, I'm still fumbling with the controls, and hey let's do a timed section, 1, great idea, 2, let's throw in some new skills as time is running out, awesome idea, then let's not have checkpoints, superb, then let's not make the save obvious at the start of the game so the player can go back to the mother fucking intro and start aaaaalllll over. FUCK!

This is the first game I've played where I'm using the wii remote to control the camera. This feels just like the first time I played prime back on the Cube. It was one of the first games I played with camera controls, and so I spent half the time fighting the controls. Here I am again, fighting the controls, learning a new control scheme.

It's too bad, Super Metroid is probably my favorite game of all time, and just have never been able to get into the Prime stuff. I honestly don't know if I can go back, I'm SO pissed about having to start the game over. No checkpoints. This feels like a relic.

Also, what the fuck is with the visor controls where you have to scan shit? Could they have made that any more cumbersome? Jeesh, why can't I just run up to something, point at it, and click one fucking button to get the desired result? It's a chore to do scans in this game. Click minus, aim up, let go, then click the Z button to scan. Seriously?! And then let's make 50 fucking things to scan in every room. Unreal. Down to fire missiles?! REALLY? The controls in this game are the biggest mind fuck I've seen in ages. I'm so bummed. I want to love the Prime games, but man...

4kf2nhk.gif

drakesfortune said:

Uh, there's a save room right before the boss.

Dementia

drakesfortune said:

Not to sound elitist, but... if you managed to miss both save stations on the tutorial level, you're not playing Metroid right. It's an exploration game. Explore. Do not just run from room to room like in a FPS as if your only goal is to clear out the enemies. Take in your surroundings, and use the scan visor as much as you can tolerate (the world will become much more interesting if you read up on anything you scan... and the "story" is actually mostly told through lore you scan throughout the levels). Scanning will also help you find powerups scattered throughout levels. Most of them are actually unobtainable until you gain new abilities, but make note of them. And use the 3D map, it's there for a reason and is very useful.

Edit: uh, guess there's only one save station on the pirate frigate... it's been a while. :p

Dementia said:
Not to sound elitist, but... if you managed to miss both save stations on the tutorial level, you're not playing Metroid right. It's an exploration game. Explore. And use the 3D map, it's there for a reason and is very useful.

Edit: uh, guess there's only one save station on the pirate frigate... it's been a while. :p

You're probably thinking of the map room, which is shown when the parasites run into the hole.

drakesfortune

Dementia said:
Not to sound elitist, but... if you managed to miss both save stations on the tutorial level, you're not playing Metroid right. It's an exploration game. Explore. And use the 3D map, it's there for a reason and is very useful.

I'm going to give it another go tomorrow.

Look, the whole control scheme is pretty much brand new to me. I've never used the pointer controls as the camera control in a game before. So I was taking my time, trying to accustomed to the new control scheme, trying to get used to all of the stuff it was throwing at me, and the save room wasn't obvious to me for whatever reason. I just completely didn't see it. I thought I had gone everywhere, maybe I blinked, but I didn't see it. And to be fair, I didn't expect to get thrown into a boss fight and then a timed section filled with more new skills/tutorials. That has to be the worst idea ever in any Metroid game.

REGARDLESS, it's the FIRST save point of the game, it comes before a boss fight (which was super easy) and then a timed section, they should have had you walk THROUGH the room with the save point in it. I mean the whole thing is one big fucking tutorial. They should have obviously held your hand through the save point.

Also, I know it's an exploration game. Why do you think Super Metroid is my favorite game of all time. Hell, and talk about controls. Super Metroid has some of the best controls in a game ever, and then this game with its visor control is just unreal.

Anyways, I'm going to try one more time. I WANT to love this game, and I'm hoping that once I get better at IR aiming I'll enjoy it a lot more.

drakesfortune said:

Guess you shouldn't try Echoes in hyper mode...

PS: You do know that you can scan the environment, right?

Johnas

drakesfortune said:

Look, the whole control scheme is pretty much brand new to me. I've never used the pointer controls as the camera control in a game before. So I was taking my time, trying to accustomed to the new control scheme, trying to get used to all of the stuff it was throwing at me, and the save room wasn't obvious to me for whatever reason. I just completely didn't see it. I thought I had gone everywhere, maybe I blinked, but I didn't see it. And to be fair, I didn't expect to get thrown into a boss fight and then a timed section filled with more new skills/tutorials. That has to be the worst idea ever in any Metroid game.

REGARDLESS, it's the FIRST save point of the game, it comes before a boss fight (which was super easy) and then a timed section, they should have had you walk THROUGH the room with the save point in it. I mean the whole thing is one big fucking tutorial. They should have obviously held your hand through the save point.

Also, I know it's an exploration game. Why do you think Super Metroid is my favorite game of all time. Hell, and talk about controls. Super Metroid has some of the best controls in a game ever, and then this game with its visor control is just unreal.

Anyways, I'm going to try one more time. I WANT to love this game, and I'm hoping that once I get better at IR aiming I'll enjoy it a lot more.

I haven't played the Wii version (but finished the GC version 10+ times) and, like many others, I can tell you it is an awesome game. Just take your time, make sure to look around carefully everywhere, and have fun.

drakesfortune said:

Remember to scan stuff.

Christine

Since this thread has been bumped, I'm going to beg for Friend tokens again. I will reciprocate if desired, but I needs them. I wants to unlock everything.

drakesfortune said:
The save should have been fucking obvious. It's the first game in the series, I've never seen a save station, I still have no clue what one would look like,

It is, its right to the left of you before you face the boss. There's a big fucking door right there you have to be blind to miss.

And I just caught that that took you an hour..........really now? The original demo for it had a 15 minute timer on the kiosk and I had no problem making it through that section in less than 15 minutes. That was with the GC controls too.

Shin Johnpv said:
It is, its right to the left of you before you face the boss. There's a big fucking door right there you have to be blind to miss.

And I just caught that that took you an hour..........really now? The original demo for it had a 15 minute timer on the kiosk and I had no problem making it through that section in less than 15 minutes. That was with the GC controls too.
Yeah, and the grapples are pretty obvious if you've played SM. Maybe the OP should play MP3 since its more linear and has checkpoints.

XenoRaven

I don't want to harp on this...but if it took you 40 minutes to get through the introduction...how did you possibly miss the save station? There's also a map room there that the game actually goes to a cutscene to show you, and then the map will show you EXACTLY WHERE THE SAVE POINT IS. Man. I know it must have been frustrating for you and all, but you kinda fucked up dude. I mean hell, there's a giant icon on the screen that gets bigger and turns white the closer you get to it, and then a message on the screen pops up telling you how to use the grapple beam. Again, not sure how you missed all this stuff if you spent 40 minutes exploring the station.

fernoca

Just got this as a gift of sorts, though it was a bitch to get...
eBay prices of new copies are between $60 to $70...No Gamestops around here are carrying it anymore; Wal-Mart has no copies... Best Buy had 3 copies left..and out of nowhere a Sears had 1 copy..for $19.

Already played them..but never finish them..might start with Corruption first.

Sagitario

fernoca said:
Just got this as a gift of sorts, though it was a bitch to get...
eBay prices of new copies are between $60 to $70...No Gamestops around here are carrying it anymore; Wal-Mart has no copies... Best Buy had 3 copies left..and out of nowhere a Sears had 1 copy..for $19.

Already played them..but never finish them..might start with Corruption first.

I'd [re]play them in order... that's what I did last year :D ...

So after finishing the first game about two months ago, the new Other M trailer has motivated me to move on to Echoes. I've just restored power to the first temple and so far I'm enjoying it, but the gimmick of light/dark world seems a bit played out to me. I'm only about 3/4 hours in and I'm pretty bored of that aspect, and if the first is anything to go by I have at least another 15 to go, so I hope some cool things happen later on to change up the formula because going from the normal world to a dark version is not capturing my imagination.

I'm focusing on the one niggling aspect, though, and overall I'm really enjoying myself. I'll put an hour or two in every day and will hopefully have it finished by the end of Easter.

Foliorum Viridum said:
So after finishing the first game about two months ago, the new Other M trailer has motivated me to move on to Echoes. I've just restored power to the first temple and so far I'm enjoying it, but the gimmick of light/dark world seems a bit played out to me. I'm only about 3/4 hours in and I'm pretty bored of that aspect, and if the first is anything to go by I have at least another 15 to go, so I hope some cool things happen later on to change up the formula because going from the normal world to a dark version is not capturing my imagination.

I'm focusing on the one niggling aspect, though, and overall I'm really enjoying myself. I'll put an hour or two in every day and will hopefully have it finished by the end of Easter.

The Torvus and Sanctuary dark worlds are much more complex and feature a lot more puzzles that involve both dimensions, so I think you'll find the concept stays pretty fresh. It's only the last section of the game where it will become grating.

Joe

102qfqb.jpg

Can anyone tell me how to leave this area of Phendrana Drifts without the Grapple Beam? There seems to be only 2 exits leaving this area and I can't figure out how to leave either without it.

Just got the Echo Visor in MP2... is it just me, or was the
second Dark Samus fight easier than the first
? Probably be taking another break from it though, as I can't remember all the places I saw you were supposed to use the Echo Visor for, and I also just got Red Steel 2 and WarioWare D.I.Y.

Sagitario

Joe said:
102qfqb.jpg

Can anyone tell me how to leave this area of Phendrana Drifts without the Grapple Beam? There seems to be only 2 exits leaving this area and I can't figure out how to leave either without it.

Did you just get the thermal visor? IIRC, you need to backtrack all the way back (the same rooms/paths as you first entered the area).

Some walkthroughs of that area

drakesfortune said:

I think you can also flip A/B if that helps.

I disagree with you about SM's controls. I found Wall Jumping, which is needed to get back up from some pits, to be terribly difficult to get right. It was outright frustrating to do.

Joe

ughhh i totally posted the wrong part of the map!! sorry, i'm stuck in THIS area:

zl23yf.jpg

those 2 caves each have 1 exit but i'm finding it impossible to reach those exits without the grapple beam. i'm either "bugged" or there is something i'm just not seeing.

Sagitario

Use missiles on the the stalactites in the ceiling [turn on the auto aim/lock on option or whatever is called or you will have a hard time making them fall, the weak point is very specific]...

Finally beat the first part of the Trilogy.

I didn't like the last two bosses.

First one dragged at the end and the second was a bit repetitive.

On to Prime 2.

Made a lot of progress today. Got the Screw Attack (which I really hate, as I have a hard time getting the timing right for it), beat Quadraxis and got the Annihilator Beam, got the Sonic Boom, and now got the Light Suit, which is really nice. I've already got more than 75% items, which is more than what I beat MP1 with. Now to find those Sky Temple keys...

Beat MP2 today. Emperor Ing and Dark Samus were both hard, but I figured them out. Now onto MP3. Kinda wishing I hadn't started it already...

thefil

Sorry, no idea where you can get it in Toronto. But thanks for bumping the thread so I can post guilt-free! :D

I just came back to this after a long hiatus. I finally decided I would just give up on Echoes, which I was not enjoying, and go straight to Metroid Prime 3. I'm really glad I made that choice, as 3 is rocking the house. This game is so much fun, and even when I got stuck for an hour on something obvious (!&@%) I still wanted to keep playing to figure it out.

Personally, thus far I'd rate MP3 >> MP1 >>>> MP2. Some of the music in 3 especially is awesome.

Shanks

I can't find this game anywhere here in Atlanta. Pissing me off as I just got back into the Wii and such and this is nowhere to be found. Are they still printing this or what?

Top Bottom