• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

10$ is attractive, but to be honest, waggle is a turnoff. Actually, it's more annoying that game created for the GameCube controller ban it as an option. Just comes off as an asshole move.

I've only ever played the metroid prime hunters ds demo, so I'm not sure if I'm get anything out of this package.

Do you need a tv to play our can you use the controller screen with the Wii remote?

Ridley327

10$ is attractive, but to be honest, waggle is a turnoff. Actually, it's more annoying that game created for the GameCube controller ban it as an option. Just comes off as an asshole move.

I've only ever played the metroid prime hunters ds demo, so I'm not sure if I'm get anything out of this package.

Do you need a tv to play our can you use the controller screen with the Wii remote?

The GamePad can act as a sensor bar, so you can do off-TV play just fine.

BlackJace

There's really no waggle. The aiming is precise because of the remote.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I'm pretty sure that the Wii U doesn't support multiple drives at once. Like, to move data, because of the proprietary file format, you have to copy from old external to internal and then over to new external. You can't just plug in two drives and copy from external 1 to external 2.

Really? When you load up data management there are 3 "memory" slots. One is internal, and then there are two for externals. I've never tried it, but I assume you can have two plug in HDDs plugged in at the same time.

I am probably totally wrong, but someone should check.

Would buy if it had WiiU gamepad only play. Don't care for motion controls.

... I hate reading these comments. Only Corruption has motion with the nunchuck, the other has pointer.
You're crazy, this game is objectively better with motion controls. In fact, it's the best implementation of motion controls.

I just cleared 11 GB of random stuff off my hard drive. I am ready.

You can use the gamepad with remote.

And the wiimote is better than the Gamecube controls, you will see the light.

Tarps

triple-dipping here too.

I missed out on the GC first time round and because of the backwards compatibility, MP1+2 were two of the first games I got for the Wii.

Nintendo, I hope you're listening. the Wii U needs more Metroid!

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky

Well, I'm not sure how you managed to fit so much What into three short lines, but congratulations!

Zarovitch

There's no waggle in Metroid Primes, except in the third there's some motion to push or pull thing but not much.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Well, I'm not sure how you managed to fit so much What into three short lines, but congratulations!

XpjhBtm.gif

Toxi

Banned
There's almost no waggle, and all of it is in Metroid Prime 3. The pointer-based controls are the best on the Wii and are fantastic to play with.

These games have nothing to do with Metroid Prime Hunters. Hunters was produced by a different development team and was focused on being a multiplayer shooter instead of a good single-player game.

Ridley327

Just to confirm the game can be fully launched off screen right? No tv needed at all because of some stupid wii mode limitation?

Right. These releases essentially skip over all the Wii menu stuff, so you boot right into it without having to fuss around with anything else.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Can you believe I completed 2 and 3 at their initial releases but never finished 1?

I never managed to pick up Trilogy for Wii so I'm pretty tempted. Only changes to 1 are controls?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Quadraxis and Dark Samus are GOAT.

It's a shame Retro declined in boss quality with the DK games.

Prime 3 was already a step down in terms of quality bosses, but in all fairness Prime 2 has some of the best bosses in any game ever.

I thought Tropical Freeze had pretty good bosses though.

gdt

Real quick cause my sensor bar fell behind the tv somewhere. I can just put my GamePad at the bottom of my tv and use it as the sensor bar?

FyreWulff

Can you believe I completed 2 and 3 at their initial releases but never finished 1?

I never managed to pick up Trilogy for Wii so I'm pretty tempted. Only changes to 1 are controls?

Depending on what Prime version you played, some sequence breaks are gone, and you can morphball jump without bomb jumping by just flicking the wiimote (but it requires you to have the bomb upgrade and have bombs)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Real quick cause my sensor bar fell behind the tv somewhere. I can just put my GamePad at the bottom of my tv and use it as the sensor bar?

You might have to adjust the sensitivity since the IR lights are so close together, but it should work.

Jesus. 8 gigs is massive. Both SM3DW and WWHD are under 2. No idea how I'm gonna free up all this space.

Well, it is three games.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Just to confirm the game can be fully launched off screen right? No tv needed at all because of some stupid wii mode limitation?

I would've said "no" to this in the past, cause I had some weird experiences. I'd try to boot a wii game off-screen and the system would demand I point a remote at the TV in order to select a button that was only there. As it turns out, it's because I was trying to do it while my wife was watching TV. My cable box and Wii U both run into the AV receiver, which was powered on since she was watching TV. The Wii U couldn't discern that the TV was not displaying anything Wii U related, all it knew is that it was sending signal to the AV receiver, which was indeed still on.

In summary: if you have your Wii U plugged in via HDMI to an AV receiver that is powered on, you will need to interact with the TV to start a Wii game remotely! Turn it off, generally informing the Wii U that "no, I only have the GamePad to look at," and it should work fine.

Yes but you can't get the game started on tv without either a sensor bar or classic controller to click the game pad plus tv option.

Yes. No TV is needed to start up and play any Wii game. Just the GamePad, and obviously a Wii remote.

$10 is harmless enough that Ill try it since it will work. I hope the text isnt too small though.

It just pisses me off that Nintendo insists on these artificial limitations

Like, would it really take an intern more than 30 minutes to enable the games to support a GC controller via the adapter?

I get the 3rd game would be harder, and heavens forbid Nintendo put in any effort, but for the first two, it just comes out as spite not to allow it.

Reminds me of how you cant use the GC controller on the Wii to launch games that support the GC controller, requiring one to find batteries for your remote just to click play. It feels like a slap in the face every time.

Nintendo can be an incredible asshole some times.

Hatchtag

Banned
Prime 3 was already a step down in terms of quality bosses, but in all fairness Prime 2 has some of the best bosses in any game ever.

I thought Tropical Freeze had pretty good bosses though.

Did it? I haven't played TF yet but I didn't like the boss fights in DKCR.

entremet

I'm gonna buy it, but I don't have space for this lol.

$10 is harmless enough that Ill try it since it will work. I hope the text isnt too small though.

Like, would it really take an intern more than 30 minutes to enable the games to support a GC controller via the adapter?

I get the 3rd game would be harder, and heavens forbid Nintendo put in any effort, but for the first two, it just comes out as spite not to allow it.

Reminds me of how you cant use the GC controller on the Wii to launch games that support the GC controller, requiring one to find batteries for your remote just to click play. It feels like a slap in the face every time.

Mapping a game to new controls would take way more than that. These games were designed from the ground up to use the new control schemes.

You know I used to hate Metroid Prime 2 so much but on my last play through I finally beat it and actually really enjoyed it. I still don't like the whole light world/dark world thing thoug especially with the load times, the initial health depletions, and having to remember what's blocked off in each world. It gave me a headache. Once you get to the sanctuary fortress though the game becomes incredible.

Did it? I haven't played TF yet but I didn't like the boss fights in DKCR.

TF was a huge improvement over DKCR. They addressed almost every complaint about the first one.

Yeah.

There's two USB slots in the back, and... there's some on the front? Or you can just unplug one USB and plug in the other. You can definitely have up to 2 USB drives going at once.

Great, cheers man, Wasn't sure if it would only accept one hardrive or something equally as silly.

y2dvd

I've played the first one some.
I couldn't stand it - it physically makes me sick (not an exaggeration/hyperbole, most first-person games do)

Since the 2nd and 3rd are first-person games as well, I would expect them to have a similar effect.

Ah fair enough. My buddy can't do fps also because it get's him dizzy. You should have seen him after watching Cloverfield lol. Hopefully, you'll enjoy the games this time around. =)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
solution for someone that can't get a sensor bar to reach the TV? Are there good wireless sensor bars now? Can I just wire the normal sensor bar up to a couple of batteries? Can I prop the gamepad under the TV (That has a sensor bar built in, right?)

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Jesus. 8 gigs is massive. Both SM3DW and WWHD are under 2. No idea how I'm gonna free up all this space.

It's three games!

Invest in a cheap HDD. I'm sure it's been asked a million times: but I'm sure you can play the game off of a USB flash drive. But not recommended.

Ridley327

It's not a matter of Prime 3 being harder. Some parts of it would be impossible to replicate with sticks, so they would need to redesign entire parts of the game. That goes way beyond the scope that these releases represent.

Platy

I would've said "no" to this in the past, cause I had some weird experiences. I'd try to boot a wii game off-screen and the system would demand I point a remote at the TV in order to select a button that was only there. As it turns out, it's because I was trying to do it while my wife was watching TV. My cable box and Wii U both run into the AV receiver, which was powered on since she was watching TV. The Wii U couldn't discern that the TV was not displaying anything Wii U related, all it knew is that it was sending signal to the AV receiver, which was indeed still on.

In summary: if you have your Wii U plugged in via HDMI to an AV receiver that is powered on, you will need to interact with the TV to start a Wii game remotely! Turn it off, generally informing the Wii U that "no, I only have the GamePad to look at," and it should work fine.

You can just press + on the wiimote and the game will be displayed only on the gamepad.

TV is only necessary when you want tv alone or tv AND gamepad

Toxi

Banned

Changes to 1

• Many sequence breaks are patched
  • You can no longer dash strafe while scanning
  • Effects for the arm cannon and ripple effects for liquids had to be removed
  • Meta-Ridley is much easier and has a new shockwave attack
  • For some reason, the animation for getting the
    Phazon Suit
    was changed to be less awesome
  • Flaahgra's full music actually plays

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
I've played the first one some.
I couldn't stand it - it physically makes me sick (not an exaggeration/hyperbole, most first-person games do)

Since the 2nd and 3rd are first-person games as well, I would expect them to have a similar effect.

Try turning off HUD Lag in the menu.

solution for someone that can't get a sensor bar to reach the TV? Are there good wireless sensor bars now? Can I just wire the normal sensor bar up to a couple of batteries? Can I prop the gamepad under the TV (That has a sensor bar built in, right?)
Wireless sensor bars work fine. The game pad will work as a sensor bar but you need a classic controller or other sensor bar to boot the game, the pad sensor bar doesn't turn on until the Wii game starts.

It's not a matter of Prime 3 being harder. Some parts of it would be impossible to replicate with sticks, so they would need to redesign entire parts of the game. That goes way beyond the scope that these releases represent.

Right, so let us play 1 and 2 as God intended, and 3 wiimote only. That would be perfectly acceptable.

Also reminds me of how the Wii version of Twilight Princess was waggle only, forcing you to buy the GameCube version just because.

Ahnez

As you said you never played any real MP game, its a good thing to tell you that the GC control scheme is NOT dual stick/fps-like

It was:

Control stick - move
R + Control stick - aim

The C-stick was used only to change weapons

Top Bottom