• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

NolbertoS

I'll probably double dip again. Already own both metroids on GC, and the prime trilogy on Wii, but want something epic for the Wii U. And why couldn't Nintendo make this compatible with GC controller, seriously :/

Bsigg12

Downloading now. I would love a reboot of the Prime series on the Wii U that utilized the gamepad in some interesting ways. Anyways, can't wait to dig in.

Super Macho Man

Neo Member
Looking forward to this one. I have 1 and 2 on my Gamecube, but my backlog was always (and still is) so big that I never truly got around to playing them. Skipped out on Corruption because I didn't finish the first two. $10 is a helluva good deal and I'll be buying this as soon as I get home today. Loved the pointer controls in Resident Evil 4.

Verger

Banned
Ok. I've gone an edited the OT to sort the information better provided by you fine folks in to categories and added stuff like importing those saves for friend tokens and how to use the screenshot tool.

Now that it is available, is there a Link I can use to put up to direct people to the shop to purchase this?

The third either refers to SD or there's been an OS patch recently. I just know this because I had an old Wester Digital MyBook that I was using as my external HD for a while. But after the second time it failed on me (I'd have to reformat via PC and then reformat again via Wii U to be able to use it), I went ahead and ordered a new drive. I had about a week's worth of progress I wanted to transfer over, and I had to do a silly process I can't even remember now to get the saves to transfer over without copying the whole game for my Mario Kart save. I had to redownload my games onto the new drive because a simple "copy from drive 1 to drive 2" wasn't an option.
Copying between external storage devices was added in a patch sometime in 2014 I think.

You can only have one external storage as your primary but it's no problem to plug a second drive in and copy from an old to a new drive. Nintendo support has instructions on their website knowledge base.

Fandangox

Anyone who has already downloaded the game

Does it still have the Credit system?

If yes, is it possible to trade Friend Vouchers using your NNID? It was a pain to get green credits thanks to those stupid friend codes :p

I am downloading it right now, but as I was passing the confirmation screens, I saw a notice that said that since Wiiconnect24 is not longer working, the friend voucher feature won't work in the game.

Aeana

For friend vouchers, someone earlier in the thread linked a blank/new save file that just gives you enough friend vouchers to unlock everything.

Toxi

Banned
I am downloading it right now, but as I was passing the confirmation screens, I saw a notice that said that since Wiiconnect24 is not longer working, the friend voucher feature won't work in the game.
Friend Vouchers for a single player game was such a shitty idea.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Changes to 1

• Many sequence breaks are patched
  • You can no longer dash strafe while scanning
  • Effects for the arm cannon and ripple effects for liquids had to be removed
  • Meta-Ridley is much easier and has a new shockwave attack
  • For some reason, the animation for getting the
    Phazon Suit
    was changed to be less awesome
  • Flaahgra's full music actually plays

Got it. Thanks. Yea I wasn't sure if it got any graphical upgrades from GC>Wii, sounds like it got some downgrades :). No biggie. Game is beautiful. I'll pick it up when I get a chance.

OmegaFax

There's a save you can download from gamefaqs that only has the 15 friend vouchers applied to them.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Got it. Thanks. Yea I wasn't sure if it got any graphical upgrades from GC>Wii, sounds like it got some downgrades :). No biggie. Game is beautiful. I'll pick it up when I get a chance.

I know for sure they added some bloom lighting. I recall there being some minor texture improvements here and there too.

Timeaisis

Wii U should have a queue up downloads from your PC feature like playstation. It does the download updates while in sleep mode thing already, it's the next logical step.

Oh well, I'll have to wait on the download when I get home form work.

Ridley327

I know for sure they added some bloom lighting. I recall there being some minor texture improvements here and there too.

The biggest thing for me were the loading improvements for the first two games. It really helps to improve Prime 2 a lot, since that was a fairly major issue with it on the Gamecube.

If only Prime 3 was so easy to improve in that department.

Wii U should have a queue up downloads from your PC feature like playstation. It does the download updates while in sleep mode thing already, it's the next logical step.

I believe that if you redeem to your Wii U via NNID checkout it does this. I could be wrong though.

Aeana

If you buy from the Web eShop while logged in, you can send it to your console just like PSN.

SerTapTap

Anyone verify if it improves the ridiculous load times in Corruption? Surprised people usually complain about Echoes' loads, I'm fairly sure Corruption is worse

Kyzon

In the gamecube games the beam effects are turned down. Like your cannon doesn't frost over with the ice beam for example.

Verger

Banned
One thing I'd add to the OP once it is confirmed is how the loading is. Since this is a digital game and not on disk, the loading should be faster no?

Please give impressions of the loading between the levels (I remember in the original Prime of course you had the Elevator loading sequences and then there was also loading between very large rooms (biggest offender was the Chozo Temple Balcony).

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
In the gamecube games the beam effects are turned down. Like your cannon doesn't frost over with the ice beam for example.

Worth mentioning that this is due solely to aspect ratio shift--the old effects were straight overlays and would have been distorted.

Volodja

It's been more than 10 years since I last touched Prime.
I was afraid the motion controls would have been a problem, but for now they have been very smooth.

As soon as I landed on Tallon I just had to see again the effect that the waterfalls have on the visor.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
And bought! :)

3$ each game is a damn steal.

Hoping I enjoy the Metroid Prime series, never tried it and at 10$, what's not to like already!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Only Prime 1 IIRC. And that was due to a limitation on how the arm cannon animation was handled, it would have had to be completely redone from scratch for the Wii version so they just opted to not do it I guess.

cyrok

For what it's worth, the answer is the same as it will be for every Wii game re-released like this for the Wii U.
Just so you don't have to wonder in the future.

Thanks for the heads up. Now that I'm actually thinking about it, it just makes sense.

Ahnez

So, this might mean that now its impossible to buy some of the extras.. :(

Here, the extras that require green credits to buy:

MP3 concept art gallery - Story Package 2, Creature Package 2 and World Package 2

Screen Shot tool

MP3 - Ship stickers and the Mii Bobblehead

ALL the dioramas

Verger

Banned
I just purchased the game via the link and got the redeem code and then I clicked "Redeem" to send it to my Wii U system. I'll have to wait until the end of the day to see if it worked but it sure is a nice feature if it does.

Top Bottom