• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

random25

I don't see an option to either log in or buy digitally. Am I the only one?

There's an orange "Buy Digital" button on the right side below the logo and the price. I'm using a desktop browser btw, so if you are using mobile I don't know if it looks the same.

Kadin

I forget, can I just turn off my gamepad and Metroid will continue downloading in the background or do I need to leave it on and set it in the cradle so it won't die on me? Download gonna take just a little while...

chris3116

I have the disc so I won't buy it. But at that price, it's a steal. The wiimote is perfect and made the GameCube controls obsolete.

oakenhild

Do we know yet what the next set of Wii games will be that are releasing in this way on the Wii U eshop?

I've bought 2 of the 3 games (had just bought the refurb version of punchout from nintendo.com, bummer)...willing to buy a lot more at these prices.

FyreWulff

I forget, can I just turn off my gamepad and Metroid will continue downloading in the background or do I need to leave it on and set it in the cradle so it won't die on me? Download gonna take just a little while...

As long as standby is enabled you can turn off the Wii entirely and it'll keep downloading. Just turning off the gamepad should be fine

Since the console just goes into standby mode while off, not only can you turn the GamePad off, but you should be able to turn the system off if you want.

Azure J

Mandatory Echoes was best post goes here.

I feel like I should buy this one in the event that these digital Wii titles are how Nintendo intends to handle future old game releases post Wii U. At the same time, my disc version is staring at me right now.

Mael

1. Rename downloaded save to "data.bin"

2. Paste the save into this folder on the SD Card (create these folders if you don't have them)
private/wii/title/r3me ["r3me" is for the NTSC version, not sure what the game ID is for other regions]

3. On the Wii U, transfer from the SD Card to the Wii memory

Sucks about the friend vouchers but this is pretty smart.

A little PSA for everyone getting this tomorrow:

Prime Trilogy comes with a huge Extras section where you can spend various types of "credits" (badges earned by doing stuff in the Prime games) to unlock things. One type of credit, however, cannot be earned ever since the game's online/social component was shut down in 2013.

I recommend going here and using the save that has 15 Friend Credits on all the otherwise-empty save files. That makes it possible to unlock all the content in MPT, including the screenshot tool, dioramas, and the cosmetic stuff for Samus's ship in Corruption.

Other than that, enjoy! This is likely the best ten bucks you'll spend in a long time.

Thank you so much!
I'll finally get to have the extra I never ever saw from MP3!
I just need my WiiU or my Wii or whatever...

random25

I seem to forget too, as I don't do much digital sales, but when the Wii U is in standby mode it is still able to continue download, right? It can be seen when the power LED is orange at standby (it's red at normal state).

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
There's an orange "Buy Digital" button on the right side below the logo and the price. I'm using a desktop browser btw, so if you are using mobile I don't know if it looks the same.

It's not showing up for me. I'm on a Chrome browser, there's just no link. It just says "Visit official site" on the site.

Oh well, I can't wait until I get home. Can't play tonight until after all the kids go to bed anyway.

Kadin

As long as standby is enabled you can turn off the Wii entirely and it'll keep downloading. Just turning off the gamepad should be fine

Since the console just goes into standby mode while off, not only can you turn the GamePad off, but you should be able to turn the system off if you want.
Thanks guys. I couldn't remember if there was a way to make sure it's working in the background. Can't wait to play it (again)!

Verger

Banned
Thank you so much!
I'll finally get to have the extra I never ever saw from MP3!
I just need my WiiU or my Wii or whatever...
I made sure to add this info to the OT. Hopefully people will see it. Maybe I need to make new graphics to call these things out better...

Kyzon

Worth mentioning that this is due solely to aspect ratio shift--the old effects were straight overlays and would have been distorted.

Only Prime 1 IIRC. And that was due to a limitation on how the arm cannon animation was handled, it would have had to be completely redone from scratch for the Wii version so they just opted to not do it I guess.

Oh yeah, it's a small thing and would have taken up development time. It's literally my only complaint about the game, and even then I'm being petty about it.

Anything I download from the eShop can be deleted and redownloaded again, correct?

I'm out of space for MP Trilogy but I can't buy it if I don't have space so I guess I'll have to search for a hard drive.

Verger

Banned
In the interest of disclosure I also added the comments about the tuned-down VFX in Prime 1 due to the aspect ratio since I'm sure some will wonder about that

EasyMode

I read that in the Trilogy version of Echoes they changed Normal to Easy, and Hard is the GC version's Normal. Does the game let you pick hard from the get go?

Timeaisis

Anyone know if you can redeem nintendo digital promotion vouchers online? Like, I already got codes, just haven't applied them to my eshop balance yet.

Verger

Banned
I read that in the Trilogy version of Echoes they changed Normal to Easy, and Hard is the GC version's Normal. Does the game let you pick hard from the get go?
It's in the OT

"Play on Veteran difficulty. It's the original games' Normal. Trilogy's "Normal" is a new easy mode." - First Bolded point in the OT actually too

If you're in NA, you can get a download code from the Web eShop.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/NI0L4GZFgly0lMBWZGpD30Si5pLEmEHd Buy here. Keep code. Use it when you get a Wii U. Don't think it expires but be sure the read any fine print.

Go to the digital store and check out as a guest they'll email you the code. I think this only works in the US.

You can buy it via web browser. Here is the link http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/NI0L4GZFgly0lMBWZGpD30Si5pLEmEHd

Edit: beaten. Also forgot to mention it's for NA.

Holy flood of answers batman. Thanks everyone!

Berna

Yes. Although you might want to be careful about the save files for those games. I think a lot of the default options for digital titles means that deleting the game deletes the saves as well.

IIRC, the Wii U at first shows each game as a bundle in the Data Management screen, but upon opening one of them, it shows each part (game itself, update data, save for each user) separately. Just select what you want to delete, no worries about deleting saves.

EDIT: Yep. Just don't use the option in the upper left, since that will delete all data related to the games chosen. Open Data Management, select the game you want to delete, choose the "Software" part of the game in the following screen and then "Delete".

Ahnez

IIRC, you have to beat each game at least one time to unlock the last difficulty.

Verger

Banned
I feel like double(triple) dipping only to send a message to Nintendo.
I'd like to think most will have that idea and hopefully Nintendo is in the listening mood.

But come on. $9.99 for three HUGE MASSIVE CONTENT-PACKED games.

I can't think of a better deal, it's better than most Steam deals.

Ugh. This is an issue that shouldn't be present in 2015.

Thanks for the quick response!

See this post though too.

IIRC, the Wii U at first shows each game as a bundle in the Data Management screen, but upon opening one of them, it shows each part (game itself, update data, save for each user) separately. Just select what you want to delete, no worries about deleting saves.

EDIT: Yep. Just don't use the option in the upper left, since that will delete all data related to the games chosen. Open Data Management, select the game you want to delete, choose the "Software" part of the game in the following screen and then "Delete".

Like I said earlier about switching drives, I had some difficulty transferring games/saves, and had to redownload my games onto a new drive. I had some saves transferred to internal storage, but this process of getting the redownloaded titles to recognize the saves was something I remember not being painless.

But it's possible I:

A.) Did something wrong.
B.) They've improved the process since then.
C.) Because I was moving between completely different drives, that added complications that wouldn't exist if you're just deleting from the drive you intend to redownload to later.

You may be able to disregard my warning. It was just something I wanted to bring up as a possible concern in case you have progress you don't want to lose.

andthebeatgoeson

I just purchased the game via the link and got the redeem code and then I clicked "Redeem" to send it to my Wii U system. I'll have to wait until the end of the day to see if it worked but it sure is a nice feature if it does.

Can I purchase it with money on my account? Doesn't look like it. Seems like I have to purchase with a credit card.

Cool they have the option and probably protective but I want to use the cash on my account. On a work computer and want to limit how often I type my credit card on this.

Slixshot

Banned
Wait. So I DON'T have to add $20 and not the exact amount of $10.XX? That's NOT bullshit.

Edit: Much appreciated friends. Totally missed that option. #Mybad #Lovenintendy

Top Bottom