• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

Right there with ya.
I was thinking the WiiU gamepad would be amazing for scanning.

Once the dust settled and we all realized that this was still just a Wii port - and that the game required a Wiimote & nunchucks - I was honestly a little sad that this was being released at all.

I'm worried that this means Nintendo won't pursue a proper WiiU remaster for one of the greatest games ever made: Metroid Prime. I would really like to see it get the Wind Waker treatment.
I'm not even asking for a WW treatment. That was practically a remake from the ground up. I'd be more than happy with a remaster a-la Metal Gear Solid HD Collection.

Same graphics, just up-ressed, some updated textures and new HD fonts, HUDs and menus. Update it for WiiU Gamepad/WiiU Pro Controller support options and diverse control schemes (like including a dual analog option without removing the lock-on mechanic, of course) and I'd buy the shit out of it.

This digital port tells me this ain't in Nintendo's plans. If anything the best thing I can take out of this is a clue that Nintendo might bring a new 3D Metroid title from Retro by making available their past romps for everyone to catch up on before the reveal and subsequent launch of the new game.

My kingdom for making Other M non-canon.

Picked this up. I only played a bit of the first one, but it was enjoyable, and I just couldn't pass up three awesome looking games for $10. Really glad this thread made me aware of this deal!

Ocaso

You kiss your loved ones with that mouth?

Seriously though, Echoes is the only game of the trilogy i couldn't finish. Totally bummed out by it and i think it was mainly due to being forced to stay in the safe zones in the dark world (or regaining health, don't remember how the gameplay mechanic worked exactly). But i do know it was annoying as hell. The game didn't give me any joy.

Too many people misunderstood the purpose of the light beacons. The only reason they recharge you was to make up for the forced damage outside of them. They were never meant to be recharge stations, and actual recharge stations (in addition to health "crates") were generously strewn throughout to ensure you never had to camp at the beacons. I'd say try again. Echoes is undoubtedly the best of the bunch.

Jomjom

Banned

Hmmm it doesn't actually look like the prices have really gone down much. That article for some odd reason compares brand new to a "good" condition (read: the disc is nigh unplayable) copy. A "good" condition copy was going for about $40 even before this came out.

Also lol at "5x the amount...". The guy is selling a used copy and was hoping to get over $200 for it? It's funny when people don't know how to use the "Sold" filter to see what comparable copies have sold for in the past. Does he think he has a complete copy of Suikoden 2 or Earthbound or something?

ozfunghi

Too many people misunderstood the purpose of the light beacons. The only reason they recharge you was to make up for the forced damage outside of them. They were never meant to be recharge stations, and actual recharge stations (in addition to health "crates") were generously strewn throughout to ensure you never had to camp at the beacons. I'd say try again. Echoes is undoubtedly the best of the bunch.

Crrrrrrazy talk! I'm kidding. I know the light beacons were to make up for the damage you take outside of them, but it was just annoying as hell, imo. The entire game was just depressing the hell out of me. I really didn't have fun playing it.

Crrrrrrazy talk! I'm kidding. I know the light beacons were to make up for the damage you take outside of them, but it was just annoying as hell, imo. The entire game was just depressing the hell out of me. I really didn't have fun playing it.
I'm never the one to defend MP2 but that light beacon mechanic is present for a very brief period, to be fair. Soon you get the Dark suit that stops the damage in the dark world.

I agree on that the game was depressing to look at (during that godforsaken dark world) and figure out.

I did finish it but it's the only one I never replayed nor finished and thought "damn, that was a pleasant experience!"

MP1 =10/10
MP2 = 7/10
MP3 = 9/10

Echoes is great guys. It gave us Dark Samus at least.
Dark Samus was lame, boring, and lazy. And, as far as Nintendo is concerned, so fucking clichéd! Little thought went into creating and designing DS at all.

Metroid Prime as an enemy, on the other hand, was INCREDIBLE and super badass (especially the final form)!

I'm never the one to defend MP2 but that light beacon mechanic is present for a very brief period, to be fair. Soon you get the Dark suit that stops the damage in the dark world.

I agree on that the game was depressing to look at (during that godforsaken dark world) and figure out.

I did finish it but it's the only one I never replayed nor finished and thought "damn, that was a pleasant experience!"

MP1 =10/10
MP2 = 7/10
MP3 = 9/10

I'm overly generous.

MP1 = 10/10
MP2 = 9.5/10
MP3 = 9.5/10

Toxi

Banned
The safe zones are only a problem at the beginning of the game, before you get the Dark Suit. Once you get the Dark Suit, the health loss is so minimal and health pick-ups are so common that it's generally pointless to spend extra time near the light beacons.

It helps that the Light Beam absolutely demolishes the Dark World enemies, while the Dark Beam is less devastating against the Light World enemies.

It wasn't really "Dark Samus." It was just "Metroid Prime." Echoes further established the identity.

And Echoes is a great game. The dark horse of the series.
What identity!? She's a blue clone of the main character with zero personality who was created by phazon and thus inexplicably evil because reasons.

I still love the series overall but I always had a bone to pick concerning DS. I always thought her idea was uber lame. The dark world and its mechanics in MP2 and Dark Samus are the only two things I never liked about the series.

Both were absent in MP1 though and contributed to me loving the shit out of the first one more.

Lady Gaia

No idea it was $10. Just bought it.

I didn't know it was the case either. I even glanced at my GamePad this morning when the notification arrived, and all it said there was 50% off. If I'd known it was $10 at the time I'd have purchased it then and there. Nintendo of America's marketing really is horrific.

jblank83

It's so sad to see people who can't appreciate Echoes. :( It's my favorite.

I've tried 3 times and every time I get bored and quit. It's the only Metroid game I've never finished.

I guess I'll try again (after I finish this backlog, so maybe this summer).

Damn, all this talk about Metroid Prime made me remember how fucking thirsty I am for a new 3D Metroid on a home console that's worth a damn (for those keeping score the last one was MP3 in 2007 eight years ago!). It's been long enough!

What identity!? She's a blue clone of the main character with zero personality who was created by phazon and thus inexplicably evil because reasons.

I still love the series overall but I always had a bone to pick concerning DS. I always thought her idea was uber lame. The dark world and its mechanics in MP2 and Dark Samus are the only two things I never liked about the series.

Both were absent in MP1 though and contributed to me loving the shit out of the first one more.

Dark Samus has about as much personality as any Metroid villain.

And she's not inexplicably evil. She hates Samus because Samus almost killed her. And she wants to turn as many planets in the galaxy into Phazon planets because she feeds on Phazon.

Tygamr

The only downloadable Wii game I've wanted. Was mad at myself for passing on the physical release a few months after it came out because it was like impossible to find. Downloading as soon as I'm off work.

But Dark Samus
is Metroid Prime. Also, it's established in the third game that phazon is semi-sentient, and trying to spread through the galaxy (the universe?) like a cancer- which is why DS does what it does

Played for first time MP1 with the Wiimote and wow is perfect, also this game still amazing, the 60fps, the graphics, the music, everything. This is going to be my first time with MP3, happy day for me.

Madao

Dark Samus was lame, boring, and lazy. And, as far as Nintendo is concerned, so fucking clichéd! Little thought went into creating and designing DS at all.

Metroid Prime as an enemy, on the other hand, was INCREDIBLE and super badass (especially the final form)!

mp1 gave us Dark Samus. did you miss the 100% ending?

ASIS

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet.

TURN THE HINT SYSTEM OFF. Yes, if this is your first time playing the game then you will get lost. But it makes the world design much more prominent. I'm sure you'll appreciate the game more this way.

Miker

Metroid Prime 2 is amazing. It's the
Dark Souls
no, wait, Majora's Mask
most challenging and satisfying game in the series. The item progression in Echoes was the most empowering thing in any game I've played. By the time you finish the game, you've mastered it, both as a player and as a fully decked-out Samus who doesn't take shit from the dark world and destroys everything with the annihilator beam. Plus, it has Sanctuary Fortress, one of the best locations in the entire series, and the best boss fights (QUADRAXIS).

Metroid Prime 3 is my least favorite by far. Bryyo was the old and familiar Metroid Prime starting area, like Chozo Ruins and Agon Wastes. Skytown was the only interesting location in terms of visuals, but I found it a chore to actually navigate. The other locations were standard Metroid (Prime) grungy spaceships and facilities. It was also simpler from a mechanics standpoint, resembling a 2D Metroid with beam/missile stacking, but without having the killer pacing of, say, Fusion.

Toxi

Banned
Dark Samus has plenty of personality in Metroid Prime 2.
Her movements are slithery and stealthy, silently floating or stalking with an animalistic hunch. Her behavior is erratic and self-destructive, eventually resulting in sickly transparent final appearance. She grows obsessed with Samus with every defeat, going from indifference to taunting to rage. In the final battle, Dark Samus traps and attacks Samus when the entire dimension is about to collapse just because she's so desperate for revenge. All of this is portrayed through her movements and actions and the occasional crazy laugh, not dialogue.

Ignoring personality (Because seriously, this is Metroid, who gives a fuck about personality, the most memorable villain is a purple dragon who has no dialogue in the games), Dark Samus is a fun boss fight with a bitchin' soundtrack.

Veelk

Banned
So I just finished playing the first level (or the tutorial level) of Metroid Prime.

Wow. This is surprisingly dark for a Nintendo game. I got straight up Alien vibes from the environment. Scenes of death everywhere. Having completed that, it pulled a massive pet peeve design on me. I hate it when games start me off fairly effective equipment, then pull the rug under your feet and take it away so you have to earn back what you already had. Please tell me the other games don't do this, it's super annoying to me.

That said, I am not well versed in the Metroid mythos. Are the Space Pirates supposed to be a species, rather than an occupation?

Griss

I never understood the people who defend Dark Samus with the 'But it's Metroid Prime' argument. We know that. We know what it is, but what it is is so much worse than what Metroid Prime was. I mean it could be Samus' lost parents' DNA spliced with a gamma metroid and sent by the federation to specifically hunt Samus; as long as it's called 'Dark Samus', a black clone with glowing blue parts that hunts Samus for no compelling reason (note the word 'compelling') and has a very poor motivation for what it does (it just wants to create more Phazon etc), then it's lame.

It would be like saying Poochy in the Simpsons actually had a really great backstory, was designed by Miyazaki and conceived by Cormac McCarthy. I don't care. I'm going on what my eyes are telling me, and this is some lame shit right here.

There's an easy comparison point here - the S-AX. That was the idea of the clone character done to perfection. The game established rules that these enemies could adopt others' DNA and essentially copy them. When they copy Samus it makes sense. The parasites have also been known the hunt and eradicate Metroids and other powerful threats. Samus now has Metroid DNA and is a power threat. It's immediately apparent that this thing is going to be hunting her down, and why. Its design is far more unnerving than Dark Samus, and it's has far more presence when on the screen. Sorry, Dark Samus was terrible.

So I just finished playing the first level (or the tutorial level) of Metroid Prime.

Wow. This is surprisingly dark for a Nintendo game. I got straight up Alien vibes from the environment. Scenes of death everywhere. Having completed that, it pulled a massive pet peeve design on me. I hate it when games start me off fairly effective equipment, then pull the rug under your feet and take it away so you have to earn back what you already had. Please tell me the other games don't do this, it's super annoying to me.

That said, I am not well versed in the Metroid mythos. Are the Space Pirates supposed to be a species, rather than an occupation?

You lose your powerups in Echoes as well, though it pays off in a cool way during gameplay.

In Prime 3, you start with charge beam, space jump, and missiles, with no catch.

Space Pirates are a species.

Zebetite

Banned

They're simultaneously a species and an "occupation," though "pirate" is a slight understatement. They've almost got an empire of sorts. They basically just travel the stars conquering planets and putting tubes everywhere.

They've got some real next-level biochemistry which means that although they're all a part of the same species, their physiology varies wildly from planet to planet to suit whatever environment they're in.

braves01

Banned
Downloaded. Unfortunately, I won't have access to a Wiimote for a while, but I'm looking forward to running through these again, especially since I only played the gc versions.

boxter432

downloading now, cost $.75 of tax using my last two $5 Digital Deluxe codes....

but I have NO IDEA where my gold wiimote (from SS) is, or my nunchuck. I have a couple OG wiimotes (with no batteries) but no chuck. WHERE ARE YOU?

Top Bottom