• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

ohlawd

Damn. How long did you play for today? I stopped playing at around 3 and I got to the ice beam.

playtime said 5:06 which doesn't feel right

and I played on normal. will do the same for the next two. just wanna do quick runs since I'm supposed to be clearing my backlog, not play these games for the umpteenth time >_>

ASIS

Just got to Tallon overworld. The controls are so finnicky, maybe I need to recalibrate my Wiimote. It definitely takes some getting used to. I've definitely noticed doors and scanning is faster.

If the cursor is jumping all over the place then yeah, you need to re-adjust the sensitivity but if not then you just need more time with the controls.

CapHarlock

Neo Member
I would love to know those of you who have never played a MP games but played many other shooters. How does playing MP feel, do you see why so many hold it in high reguard or does it fall short compared to other shooters out now?

I would love to know those of you who have never played a MP games but played many other shooters. How does playing MP feel, do you see why so many hold it in high reguard or does it fall short compared to other shooters out now?

It was never meant to compare to any other shooter since it barely is a shooter in the sense you're talking about.

It really is its own thing.

gdt

I love this game (Prime 1). Is it wrong that I want to take a week off and just play it all week like I did when I was in school when I first got it during the school holidays?

:0

I remember waking up in the middle of the night, unwrapping it and playing at like 2am then wrapping it back up so my parent wouldn't know I opened it. Got it for Xmas :)

Did the same with Majora's Mask.

gdt

It's not a shooter in the way you mean it really. It really is more like an adventure game in first person. Puzzles and rpg leveling system without actual levels. Best boss battles ever though. And Great first person platforming.

The controls seem a little floaty to me, but I also haven't played a wii game in a few years. The loading times are greatly improved and it looks glorious in 1080p. These games a truly a treasure, hopefully I can get past that bullshit fish mini-boss in prime 2 this time around.

BTW, anyone know how to fix the overscan-compensation bars? Seems odd that this gives me them, but Punch Out makes full use of my screen's space.

Effect

It's been such a long time since I've played Metroid Prime 1. I remember the open area where the ship is landed once you reach the planet being so much bigger then it actually is. Maybe it's because I'm able to move easier with the Wii remote and nunchuck or just the difference between a child's and an adult's eyes.

I'm also noticing I don't remember a thing about MP1. MP3 is still somewhat fresh to a degree. As far as MP1 goes I have no clue as to where I'm going. I think I'm going save it that for this weekend as a result. The games are bought now so I can get to it whenever.

Still trying to decide if I should transfer over my Wii. That way I can have my MP3 save and the Mii I created. Though I guess I could always make a new Mii and copy the save files that can be copied.

vazel

Banned
I forgot how much I dislike Wiimote pointing. Direct pointing is inaccurate, you have to rely on relative motion(like a mouse) but relative motion defeats the purpose of having a pointing device like the Wiimote. But for the Metroid Prime games I'll deal with it.

Effect

I forgot how much I dislike Wiimote pointing. Direct pointing is inaccurate, you have to rely on relative motion(like a mouse) but relative motion defeats the purpose of having a pointing device like the Wiimote. But for the Metroid Prime games I'll deal with it.

What's your sensitivity set at? I set it at advance right away and have been pretty much ignoring the lock on and don't seem to have any issues. Things are pretty accurate from what I'm seeing.

vazel

Banned
What's your sensitivity set at? I set it at advance right away and have been pretty much ignoring the lock on and don't seem to have any issues. Things are pretty accurate from what I'm seeing.
Sensitivity does not effect direct pointing with the Wiimote. What it does in this game is change the turning deadzone.

Why is this taking so long to install? How does the "Time Left" for installing keep going up? I get the downloading side fluctuating, but why the installation?!? Oh man..it's at 60% and I gotta get to sleep within the next hour for sure. Come on Reggie. Fix this nonsense.

Timeaisis

Not gonna lie, going in I was skeptical MP was going to live up to my 13 year old fanboy nostalgia, but holy fuck is this game superb. The level design is quite literally some of the best I've ever seen.

Verger

Banned
Took this rerelease as a cue to start replaying the trilogy on my disc copy. Metroid Prime really is SUCH a fantastic game, easily one of the best games ever. It is so good at conveying emotion and eliciting a reaction - the Frigate in the beginning is possibly one of the most intense tutorial levels in all of gaming, tonally.
I know. The Frigate is probably one of the best and most satisfying "Tutorial" levels in gaming. Just amazing how it is paced the the feeling of dread that it still evokes. Amazing how other developers never looked to this example of how to get things done nicely.

playtime said 5:06 which doesn't feel right

and I played on normal. will do the same for the next two. just wanna do quick runs since I'm supposed to be clearing my backlog, not play these games for the umpteenth time >_>

The game doesn't clock you for cutscenes (including elevator rides), deaths, reading scan data, checking your map/menu screens/when you get a power up etc.

Also, as a general note to people... Don't be afraid of Echoes difficulty. They cheesed the difficulty on a lot of tough spots and even added an easy mode ("Normal") for it and the first Prime as well.

~~Hasan~~

I was told not to buy a Nintendo games online because its hard to re download ur games or something like that or if u wiibu got fucked up not sure really what is the issus. But at 10$ 3 metroid games I never played all my life and I was looking for it everywhere ... I couldn't resist

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I have the trilogy when it was released for the wii, are there any graphical improvements vs the OG disc version?

webkatt

So I booted up the trilogy to give it a whirl.
The graphics aren't half bad!

HOWEVER

I am am having issues with the screen having boarders (Probably an ratio thing?)

and

more importantly

The AUDIO for the game is only in stereo. How do I get it to play in that yummy Dolby mode?

The Wii Mode menu does surround sound but the Metroid game sounds tiny, flat, and at a much lower dB.

Effect

I have the trilogy when it was released for the wii, are there any graphical improvements vs the OG disc version?
Load times seem to be significantly improved. Graphically I don't know. Perhaps sharper image due to the Wii U having hdmi vs the Wii's component cables or composite cables. Been meaning to ask that as well if there is a noticeable difference here. Anyone?

The game doesn't clock you for cutscenes (including elevator rides), deaths, reading scan data, checking your map/menu screens/when you get a power up etc.

Also, as a general note to people... Don't be afraid of Echoes difficulty. They cheesed the difficulty on a lot of tough spots and even added an easy mode ("Normal") for it and the first Prime as well.

I always thought Echoes' challenge came from navigation. Never had a problem with combat, even on Gamecube.

Cynn

The controls seem a little floaty to me, but I also haven't played a wii game in a few years. The loading times are greatly improved and it looks glorious in 1080p. These games a truly a treasure, hopefully I can get past that bullshit fish mini-boss in prime 2 this time around.
If it feels too floaty you may have some input lag on your TV. Wii games are remarkably intolerant of lag.

~~Hasan~~

Sorry for the noob question. I am anew Wii I owner.. But can the system download games while its on standby ? Or has to be on all the time during the download ?

Van Owen

Banned
BTW, anyone know how to fix the overscan-compensation bars? Seems odd that this gives me them, but Punch Out makes full use of my screen's space.

Not sure you can aside from adjusting it on your TV settings. Pretty annoying.

I also realize I don't have the patience to sit in a position for hours at a time to make pointer controls playable. :-/

Cynn

Having mouselike controls on a console is the purpose. This isn't like time crisis or other light gun games. Shooting from the wrist as opposed to the thumb is wonderful.

vazel

Banned
Having mouselike controls on a console is the purpose. This isn't like time crisis or other light gun games. Shooting from the wrist as opposed to the thumb is wonderful.
I'm pretty sure the original intent of the Wiimote was for it to be a direct pointing device(aiming physically with the Wiimote at the screen) and not a relative motion device.

Ah crap, that's why Prime is so easy now. I haven't played it in over a decade and I thought it was the pointer controls that were making it easier. Turns out I'm playing on "easy" mode. Oh well, I'll just continue on for the exploration and atmosphere - combat is not why I enjoyed it in the first place.

Everything was so *nsync.

It's gonna be me(troid).
Oooo, yeah.

You might've been hurt, Samus
That ain't no lie
You've seen them all come and go, oh..
I remember you told me
That it made you believe in
No man, no cry
Maybe that's why

Every little thing I do
Never seems enough for you
You don't wanna get infected (with the X parasite) again
But I'm not like them
Samus, when you finally,
Get to love somebody
Guess what,
It's gonna be me (the baby (metroid))

GulAtiCa

I'm downloading it right now. I realized I did not bring a sensor bar to college, is there an easy, makeshift way of doing a sensor bar?

2 lit candles. About 6 inches apart from each other. Aim at the middle of them. :)

I've done this before during Wii's launch when my cat chewed through the sensor bar cable.

ohlawd

normal's pretty boring though. I hope people are playing on veteran mode, especially if it's their first time playing. OP's got that up though. maybe we've managed to steer some to that difficulty.

guess how many Super Missiles it took to down Prime 1's third last boss.
three. three SMs on Omega Pirate

dude, stop playing videogames.

ilu too Mau-chan <3

I haven't played Metroid Prime in years! I just started playing about an hour ago and I'm scanning everything. lol. I might have to lower the sensitivity. And yes, I'm playing on Veteran.

Gojeran

Just stopped for the night after getting space jump. Had to put controls to standard, advance was way to fast for me. Went back and forth on swapping shoot and jump but decided eventually on swapped as using super missiles later seemed easier with shoot on B. Good times so far. Never beat the game cube version but I've started it many times. Taking more time to scan and read things especially the chozo lore.

I always thought Echoes' challenge came from navigation. Never had a problem with combat, even on Gamecube.

Well you're pretty damn good then! I never understood the problems people had with the Spider Guardian, but the Boost Ball Guardian, Chykka, Quadraxis, Emperor Ing, and Dark Samus 3 were very challenging the first time through the game. I was able to beat both Prime 1 and 3 on Hard without a death quite a while ago, but only last year on my 7th or 8th playthrough of Echoes was I able to accomplish the same feat, and just barely. It is definitely a challenging game playing for the first time. At least the GC version anyway.

ohlawd

Well you're pretty damn good then! I never understood the problems people had with the Spider Guardian, but the Boost Ball Guardian, Chykka, Quadraxis, Emperor Ing, and Dark Samus 3 were very challenging the first time through the game. I was able to beat both Prime 1 and 3 on Hard without a death quite a while ago, but only last year on my 7th or 8th playthrough of Echoes was I able to accomplish the same feat, and just barely. It is definitely a challenging game playing for the first time. At least the GC version anyway.

hahah the memories of hard mode Boost Guardian. even then the other bosses seemed like complete jokes compared to that thing. the only boss I made sure to collect all available energy tanks before fighting.

celebi23

So, how far into Prime 1 is the first save location? I haven't played it in years and died pretty stupidly :p Forgot that the previous save was the start of the game >_<

Toxi

Banned
So, how far into Prime 1 is the first save location? I haven't played it in years and died pretty stupidly :p Forgot that the previous save was the start of the game >_<
Right before the first boss there's a save room.

The next time you can save is when you finish the intro area and reach the planet.

Metroid Prime is as much a shooter as Legend of Zelda is a hack and slash. If you go into the game expecting a shooter experience you'll be pretty disappointed and bored that there's rarely anything beyond a passive bug or two to shoot (until much later in the game). This is an adventure game, a sci-fi Zelda title is the best approach to expectations.

hahah the memories of hard mode Boost Guardian. even then the other bosses seemed like complete jokes compared to that thing. the only boss I made sure to collect all available energy tanks before fighting.

All available energy tanks and all available beam ammo. That's the only way to take that bastard down on hard.

Top Bottom