• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

Burny

I'm pretty sure the original intent of the Wiimote was for it to be a direct pointing device(aiming physically with the Wiimote at the screen) and not a relative motion device.

No matter what the original intent was or wasn't, it's an indirect pointer. Trying to use it otherwise won't get a player anywhere.

And from my experience it's a damn accurate and comfortable one at that. Resting my hand on my lap, just moving my wrist slightly to control the pointer on the screen is still the most innovative and cool thing I'be experienced in game controls during the last decade. I'd really like to understand how people can prefer gamepad controls for aiming in first person games, because I've yet to experience anything as natural feeling (provided the turn speed isn't sluggish) except for mouse aiming...

Madao

Load times seem to be significantly improved. Graphically I don't know. Perhaps sharper image due to the Wii U having hdmi vs the Wii's component cables or composite cables. Been meaning to ask that as well if there is a noticeable difference here. Anyone?

the disc and eshop releases look identical and play identical. the only difference is load times due to being in much faster media (disc was really slow at times)

they didn't even bother to patch out leftover speed tricks this time. that's a surprise considering their track record.

So stoked to play MP3. I just assumed Id never have the chance so id mentally blocked out how disappointing that was - but now, 10 bucks, with the other 2 games included. I'm actually having trouble digesting how fucking awesome this is.

Christine

This game looks great on my TV. Can't believe this was released in 2002.

The art holds up. Everything is so meticulously constructed and detailed, there are very few peers in environment design.

I already own it twice, but any excuse to go through again is sufficient. It's as glorious as ever, and having it on the internal memory is nice.

mstevens

I'm just finishing up another couple Wii games, and looking for another thing to clear out of my backlog... Maybe it's finally time to start these.

How long are these games? Would you recommend just plowing through them? I don't want to burn out, but it's a little daunting having all 3 on one disc.

vazel

Banned
No matter what the original intent was or wasn't, it's an indirect pointer. Trying to use it otherwise won't get a player anywhere.
The way the Wiimote is designed makes many people want to naturally use it as a direct aiming-at-screen pointer. The Wiimote should have instead been designed like the Razer Hydra.

Verger

Banned
So infuriating. The download has been taking hours. I guess I probably shouldn't be watching Netflix at the same time, but still, really slow download. :(

Lynd7

So the game doesn't scale to fullscreen on 16:9 on my TV. Game disks in Wii mode do, was that the same for Galaxy 2? Or is this a Prime thing?

LGom09

I'm just finishing up another couple Wii games, and looking for another thing to clear out of my backlog... Maybe it's finally time to start these.

How long are these games? Would you recommend just plowing through them? I don't want to burn out, but it's a little daunting having all 3 on one disc.

Probably 12-15 hours each for a first playthrough. Maybe a little longer for Echoes. I wouldn't recommend plowing through them. The attention to detail is impressive even by today's standards and basically all of the story comes from scanning the environments.

TriBlade

They are about 15 to 20 hrs. each. Prime 2 is properly the most difficult/complex, whereas Prime 3 is more stream-lined and fast paced, and Prime 1 is in-between. You might want to take a break between 1 and 2 and play a different game if you don't want to get burn out. Prime 3 is such a change of pace compare to 2 that I think you could play it immediately after.

Probably 12-15 hours each for a first playthrough. Maybe a little longer for Echoes. I wouldn't recommend plowing through them. The attention to detail is impressive even by today's standards and basically all of the story comes from scanning the environments.

I agree, the world is amazingly detailed that you don't want to rush through it. You should take your time and enjoy it.

Verger

Banned
Ok, this is ridiculous. It finished downloading and now it is taking forever to install. WTF? Why does installing to a freaking hard drive take so damn long? It's been stuck on "15 minutes remaining" forever now.

First time playing Metroid Prime and... Wow, it's been a while since an FPS clicked with me this way - Haven't gotten the vibes like this since System Shock 2 and Deus Ex - I mean, really, this game feels like it took all the great things of the 90s era FPS (Insert any FPS-then vs. FPS-now pic here) and put it in with the polish of modern games.

Now I'm sad, this just twists the knife on how FPSes went the direction of linearity and spectacle after the tri-impact of HL2/Halo 2/CoD2. But hey - I can take the pain.

Burny

The way the Wiimote is designed makes many people want to naturally use it as a direct aiming-at-screen pointer. The Wiimote should have instead been designed like the Razer Hydra.

Should have? Maybe could have. Wasn't. Which is good, because it's a cheap, efficient and still working design instead.

Why does directly pointing at the screen seem desirable to some people? How would you even go about directly pointing? You would have to "aim down" the Wii remote like a gun, otherwise you'd just as well have no clue where exactly you're pointing as you have now, with indirect pointer controls.

I can see why some people would think that's the way it worked before trying. I can't see however why they wouldn't realize how it actually worked while using it and just adapted to it. I've seen people with no notable previous gaming experience "work the pointer out" within minutes.

quabba

The art holds up. Everything is so meticulously constructed and detailed, there are very few peers in environment design.

I already own it twice, but any excuse to go through again is sufficient. It's as glorious as ever, and having it on the internal memory is nice.

Hmm suprised to see people saying its held up. I booted up prime and thought it was very muddy and didnt hold up very well.

I expect 3 looks a lot better though. maybe smg2 had set my expectations too high. That game still looks really good.

TriBlade

First time playing Metroid Prime and... Wow, it's been a while since an FPS clicked with me this way - Haven't gotten the vibes like this since System Shock 2 and Deus Ex - I mean, really, this game feels like it took all the great things of the 90s era FPS (Insert any FPS-then vs. FPS-now pic here) and put it in with the polish of modern games.

Now I'm sad, this just twists the knife on how FPSes went the direction of linearity and spectacle after the tri-impact of HL2/Halo 2/CoD2. But hey - I can take the pain.

I wish I could experience this game for the first time again.

Just started Prime; remembered something vital that should be added to the OP

*ahem*

FLIP THE WIIMOTE UP TO JUMP WHILE IN MORPH BALL FORM. NO BOMBS REQUIRED.

*ahem*

Verger

Banned

That saddens me as well. It is a shame that developers didn't look to these games as examples to follow and instead went after the CoD's and Halo's, with as you say, super linearity and spectacle over substance.

really?
Do you really think you could play Metroid Prime that way(by pointing it directly onto the screen) for an hour or even more? like a lightgun game? your hands will fall off
it's simply impossible

Please play "House of the Dead" for the Wii (one of the Wii lightgun games where you can adjust the wiimote to act like a real lightgun) for more than a hour straight and report back in. I know what I'm talking about.
direct aiming is meant for gaming sessions in (very) small doses.

The original 2002 game beats the ever-loving shit out of most first-person shooters these days. It's amazing just how well it holds up even after nearly 15 years.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
A little PSA for everyone getting this tomorrow:

Prime Trilogy comes with a huge Extras section where you can spend various types of "credits" (badges earned by doing stuff in the Prime games) to unlock things. One type of credit, however, cannot be earned ever since the game's online/social component was shut down in 2013.

I recommend going here and using the save that has 15 Friend Credits on all the otherwise-empty save files. That makes it possible to unlock all the content in MPT, including the screenshot tool, dioramas, and the cosmetic stuff for Samus's ship in Corruption.

Other than that, enjoy! This is likely the best ten bucks you'll spend in a long time.
I did the save file transfer from an SD card but when I go to start a new game all the slots are empty even though that save file is on the Wii U. Is this normal? Where do I see this stuff?

rekameohs

Banned
I did the save file transfer from an SD card but when I go to start a new game all the slots are empty even though that save file is on the Wii U. Is this normal? Where do I see this stuff?
Do you have 15 green credits (the little Metroid logos at the bottom of the screen) in Extras?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait for a new 3D Metroid in HD. I'd like them to try out a new art style, too. Something a little more comic book-ish, like Zero Mission.

MPT on Wii is the only game ever to wreck my stomach from motion sickness. Just thinking about it makes me queasy lol.

I don't know if it's been mentioned so far in the thread, but if anyone is having trouble with headaches/nausea, try turning the HUD lag off in the options menu. That should alleviate a lot of it.

Toxi

Banned
Does any of them have multiplayer? If so how is it? Is anyone playing?
Prime 2 has offline splitscreen multiplayer. It's really bad. It's also hilarious and you'll probably enjoy a few games if you're drunk.

These games are made for single-player.

rekameohs

Banned
Prime 2 has offline splitscreen multiplayer. It's really bad. It's also hilarious and you'll probably enjoy a few games if you're drunk.

The map with the giant turret is goofy enough to be a little enjoyable for a round or two.

Garcian

Memories are just flooding back. MP is so good it's tricky to put into words. Glad people are getting into it again (or for the first time!)

How badly do I want a new Prime for the U? Maybe it will be a launch title for Nintendo's next machine. I will forever clutch at those straws.

Prototype

I never played the MP in prime 2... Lol is lock on really enabled?

Is there a way to turn it off? Would actually like to mess around with, seems like it could be fun.

Toxi

Banned
The map with the giant turret is goofy enough to be a little enjoyable for a round or two.
The giant Spider Ball sphere was great.

Also, the multiplayer music is a remix of Green Brinstar from Super Metroid. That's gotta count for something.

vazel

Banned
I can see why some people would think that's the way it worked before trying. I can't see however why they wouldn't realize how it actually worked while using it and just adapted to it. I've seen people with no notable previous gaming experience "work the pointer out" within minutes.
And I've seen the opposite where people keep trying to use the Wiimote as a direct aiming pointer especially in menu screens.
really?
Do you really think you could play Metroid Prime that way(by pointing it directly onto the screen) for an hour or even more? like a lightgun game? your hands will fall off
it's simply impossible

Please play "House of the Dead" for the Wii (one of the Wii lightgun games where you can adjust the wiimote to act like a real lightgun) for more than a hour straight and report back in. I know what I'm talking about.
direct aiming is meant for gaming sessions in (very) small doses.
Who said anything about raising my arm like I would with a traditional lightgun game at the arcades? I can tell the Wiimote pointing is inaccurate even while I have my hands rested on my lap.

rekameohs

Banned
I never played the MP in prime 2... Lol is lock on really enabled?

Is there a way to turn it off? Would actually like to mess around with, seems like it could be fun.
At least the lock on free aim makes it so you have to use a marginal amount of skill instead of the hilarity with the GC controls and just button mashing each other.

What I'm saying is that MP2 should have a tourney scene

Prototype

And I've seen the opposite where people keep trying to use the Wiimote as a direct aiming pointer especially in menu screens.
Who said anything about raising my arm like a traditional arcade lightgun? I can tell the Wiimote pointing is inaccurate even while I have my hands rested on my lap.
Damn dude. Drop it. Wii mote is inaccurate or whatever you think. Great.

You've been going on about it for pages.

At least the lock on free aim makes it so you have to use a marginal amount of skill instead of the hilarity with the GC controls and just button mashing each other.

What I'm saying is that MP2 should have a tourney scene

That would be badass. Maybe it could get bigger than Melee. Nintendo fans don't mind playing old games.

BooJoh

I played Prime 1 on GCN for a while, but couldn't beat the invisible mini-boss. Just picked this up and, well... at least it was only 10 bucks. Got up to the first save point in Prime 1 and by then I had remembered everything I hate about this game, except now you can add worse controls.

All the Wii Remote adds for me compared to a dual analog setup is greater precision, which is moot in a game with auto-aiming lock-on, I'd rather just have my hands rested in my lap and not have to deal with keeping the sensor bar in line of sight of the remote and such. I've never gotten used to the button layout on the Remote and Nunchuk combo anyway. (FWIW I hate dual analog for FPS's too. I rarely play FPS's but when I do I go for PC versions if possible.)

Way too many things to scan. Yeah I guess it's optional, so I can either have all of the story or almost none of it. I love story in games but entering a room and scanning 10 orange lights is like playing an RPG with a new town full of NPCs between every battle.

Bullet sponge enemies. On the new "easy" mode it can take like 10+ shots to kill a regular space pirate if you don't use the charge beam (if you do charge up, have fun doing the circle-strafe dance constantly.) Bullet sponge enemies were not exactly common in the 2D games.

3D map is barely usable. I don't even know what would make it work better, it's just confusing.

Just my opinions though, I'm glad people can play these much-loved games without paying scalper prices now, but as for me, I guess it's back to waiting for a new 2D Metroid... we got ALBW so I guess not all hope is lost.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
All the Wii Remote adds for me compared to a dual analog setup is greater precision, which is moot in a game with auto-aiming lock-on, I'd rather just have my hands rested in my lap and not have to deal with keeping the sensor bar in line of sight of the remote and such.
Yup, I feel ya. It's cumbersome and uncomfortable. I just want normal dual analogue controls. I don't agree about scanning, though. I personally prefer my Metroid games to be very minimal when it comes to story, whereas many other people feel the opposite. Scanning is the best of both worlds. Perhaps a better solution could be found, though.

Doczu

Yeah, the multiplayer is kinda bad, but as you said - kinda guilty pleasure when you're drunk.

I hope that if they're really working on MP4 (or whatever it will be called, but still FPS) then they will add a great online multiplayer mode. This game has potential to become a good arena shooter, just like the multiplayer portion of MP: Hunters. I loved it when it was fresh. And before the cheaters came and ruined eveything :(

Toxi

Banned
Bullet sponge enemies. On the new "easy" mode it can take like 10+ shots to kill a regular space pirate if you don't use the charge beam (if you do charge up, have fun doing the circle-strafe dance constantly.) Bullet sponge enemies were not exactly common in the 2D games.
Try missiles.

3D map is barely usable. I don't even know what would make it work better, it's just confusing.
This is just flat-out wrong. The 3D map is one of the best elements of Prime that not enough games have imitated. It's wonderful being able to see not only where a door is located, but at what height and if it's above another door.

It's only an issue in Prime 2 thanks to bad layout and constant switching between dimensions and floors.

Top Bottom