• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

rekameohs

Banned
Yeah, the multiplayer is kinda bad, but as you said - kinda guilty pleasure when you're drunk.

I hope that if they're really working on MP4 (or whatever it will be called, but still FPS) then they will add a great online multiplayer mode. This game has potential to become a good arena shooter, just like the multiplayer portion of MP: Hunters. I loved it when it was fresh. And before the cheaters came and ruined eveything :(
No way. Retro simply doesn't have the manpower to create an expansive Prime-sized game with a fully fleshed out multiplayer on the side. Perhaps if they outsourced the online component to NST (developer of Hunters), but single player absolutely needs to take precedent.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
No way. Retro simply doesn't have the manpower to create an expansive Prime-sized game with a fully fleshed out multiplayer on the side. Perhaps if they outsourced the online component to NST (developer of Hunters), but single player absolutely needs to take precedent.

Would Hunters multiplayer work in a proper Prime game without changing the physics or anything? Never played Hunters but that might be a good idea to have them partner up for it if so. Heard good things about the multiplayer in Hunters.

BooJoh

This is just flat-out wrong. The 3D map is one of the best elements of Prime that not enough games have imitated. It's wonderful being able to see not only where a door is located, but at what height and if it's above another door.

It's only an issue in Prime 2 thanks to bad layout and constant switching between dimensions and floors.

It's a perfect representation of the layout of the map, yes. And I could see it working great in a stereoscopic 3D game. The problem is that the more complex the environment gets the less usable the map gets. Hence my comment that I have no idea what could improve it. I'm not saying they did a bad job at making a 3D map, I'm saying it feels cumbersome even though I'm not sure they could've done a better job. So compared to what I'm used to in the Metroid series (2D maps, glance and you know where you are and where you're going) it's nearly unusable.

Doczu

Yes, the singleplayer should be their prime focus (heh) and the multiplayer part is just a wet dream of mine, but if they could do it, then please, PLEASE make a new Quake 3/UT99/2004 style multiplayer. PRetty please Nintendo and Retro? I know you are reading this. The ninjas are everywhere.

rekameohs

Banned
Would Hunters multiplayer work in a proper Prime game without changing the physics or anything? Never played Hunters but that might be a good idea to have them partner up for it if so. Heard good things about the multiplayer in Hunters.
Hunters was essentially Quake with a coat of Metroid paint on top of it, so yes, the physics were significantly different. If they ever went the online Metroid route again, they could pull a "Pirates vs. Federation" or something, leaving the core Prime gameplay to single player with Samus.

Prototype

I think the map system in the Prime games is about as good a map as you could possibly ask for.

On multiplayer.

I would LOVE a fleshed out MP mode in a potential Prime 4.
Could be really cool. Give to another team if need be, but do it with online and it could be so awesome.

Hunters was essentially Quake with a coat of Metroid paint on top of it, so yes, the physics were significantly different. If they ever went the online Metroid route again, they could pull a "Pirates vs. Federation" or something, leaving the core Prime gameplay to single player with Samus.

I think a Horde-style mode would be cool. Defeat enemies to earn money and buy suit upgrades.

Doczu

I would LOVE a fleshed out MP mode in a potential Prime 4.
Could be really cool. Give to another team if need be, but do it with online and it could be so awesome.

Propably never going to happen, but if they did it properly we would easily have a Halo killer (not that there is much to kill now) that everyone always wanted to achieve. At least before CoD became a thing.

Verger

Banned
The map system is by far one of the best map systems in gaming and I don't see how you could have a problem with it. The controls are pretty damn standard and intuitive for panning and rotation and zoom. It's thanks to this kind of map system that you can have such complex multi-level layouts as opposed to the standard 2D flat plane layouts of most standard FPS games. And super kudos to the team for actually naming each room and corridor on the map. Adds to the authenticity of these levels.

Anyway managed to replay at least the Intro to Prime and it was as amazing as I remembered it. The game looks great on my HDTV nice and crisp with the only blurry stuff being when the scan visor does its thing. What is amazing is all the tiny details that are lying around. Heck, you can shoot the asteroids in the outer docking area when you first start playing.

Then you get into the Frigate and you begin to see the damage that has taken place and by scanning panels and reports on the walls you begin to get the history of what was going on before you arrived and how things came apart. Just such a great build up to the Boss with all the foreshadowing of the creature and the experiments that were conducted on it.

Pure brilliance.

vazel

Banned
Damn dude. Drop it. Wii mote is inaccurate or whatever you think. Great.

You've been going on about it for pages.
It's accurate as long as you use it as a relative motion device. The problem is with the Wiimote I keep having the impulse to use it as a physical pointer.

And I'm sorry I've been going on about this for pages, I've only been responding to people.

Azure J

The map with the giant turret is goofy enough to be a little enjoyable for a round or two.

It was a small sibling substitute for Banjo-Tooie's FPS minigames/Perfect Dark for a while just because it was equally hilarious being the person in the turret as it was being the guy trying to grab Super Missiles + Massive Damage to come outside and fry the guy in the turret. The space station level was also pretty great for stupid things like forcing morph ball collisions when shot out of the kinetic cannons.

But yeah, it's probably good for once in a blue moon.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
MP1 really picks up once you get the space boots. I love how much more fluid the movement feels afterward.

Burny

All the Wii Remote adds for me compared to a dual analog setup is greater precision, which is moot in a game with auto-aiming lock-on, I'd rather just have my hands rested in my lap and not have to deal with keeping the sensor bar in line of sight of the remote and such.

What's stopping you from resting your hand with the Wiimote in your lap? The "sensor" bar is on my monitor's top and I never had an issue with it... Especially with the line of sight. Are you too far away or is something blocking the Wiimote's camera?

Burny

And I've seen the opposite where people keep trying to use the Wiimote as a direct aiming pointer especially in menu screens.
Who said anything about raising my arm like I would with a traditional lightgun game at the arcades? I can tell the Wiimote pointing is inaccurate even while I have my hands rested on my lap.

It's accurate as long as you use it as a relative motion device. The problem is with the Wiimote I keep having the impulse to use it as a physical pointer.

And I'm sorry I've been going on about this for pages, I've only been responding to people.

The reason why we're taking issue with your inaccurate claim is that you blame a cognitive issue of the user on the device. (Ups, sorry for DP >.<)

KORNdoggy

i'd have bought this again if it worked using the Wii-U pad. i really despise motion controls, no matter how "good" they are incorporated.

jobrro

Bit the bullet and purchased this. Barely played the Metroid series though I bought Super Metroid when it was 30 cents and I have Metroid and Metroid Fusion from the 3DS Ambassador program.

Not sure when I will get around to playing them, but at this price for 3 well praised games it was a difficult offer to refuse.

vazel

Banned
The reason why we're taking issue with your inaccurate claim is that you blame a cognitive issue of the user on the device.
If you go back to marketing for the Wii console and Wii games you'll see pointing with the Wiimote at the screen was often featured in them. I don't think people having an impulse to use the Wiimote as a physical pointer is a 'cognitive issue'.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Try missiles.
This is something I'm realizing only now -- on my fourth playthrough of MP1! A lot of the enemies that used to annoy me go down with just a few missiles. Also, did the missiles always home in on enemies, or is that specific to the Wii version?

BooJoh

What's stopping you from resting your hand with the Wiimote in your lap? The "sensor" bar is on my monitor's top and I never had an issue with it... Especially with the line of sight. Are you too far away or is something blocking the Wiimote's camera?

I'm in a fairly small room, my TV is on a table behind and to the side of my desk, so instead of sitting at my desk like I would for a normal game, I have to move away so my desk won't block the remote's view of the TV. For typical motion games with "waggle" I can expect that I need to compromise my positioning or even hold the remote up, but those aren't the type of games you want to chill and play for hours like this is. I just find the remote cumbersome compared to a traditional controller in this situation, and I've never been against motion controls in general. In fact I've been dying to see how these controls felt ever since people raved about how great they were when MP3 came out, but now that I've experienced them I just wish I could go back to traditional controls since mouse or stylus aren't options.

I just did the boss and frigate escape segments and found myself bumping into walls, turning where I didn't want to, and just generally feeling held back by the remote. It's like having an analog stick with a massive deadzone.

I guess I had too high of expectations since I'm pretty sure I've heard people claim these games control better than a mouse and keyboard.

Prototype

This is something I'm realizing only now -- on my fourth playthrough of MP1! A lot of the enemies that used to annoy me go down with just a few missiles. Also, did the missiles always home in on enemies, or is that specific to the Wii version?
Ya missed help a lot. You get a ton of them for a reason lol. Makes enemies go down quick. If you are locked on the missile will track.

Burny

If you go back to marketing for the Wii console and Wii games you'll see pointing with the Wiimote at the screen was often featured in them. I don't think people having an impulse to use the Wiimote as a physical pointer is a 'cognitive issue'.

But things are starting to get annoying for both parties I think and for bystanders that see this argument as threadcrapping. Can we drop this now?

I completely agree that the early Wiimote's marketing was in large parts a lie and misleading. (Un-)Learning something however has to be done by the user and depends on their cognition. And I'm aware that it can be damn hard, especially where intuition is concerned.

I'm in a fairly small room, my TV is on a table behind and to the side of my desk, so instead of sitting at my desk like I would for a normal game, I have to move away so my desk won't block the remote's view of the TV. For typical motion games with "waggle" I can expect that I need to compromise my positioning or even hold the remote up, but those aren't the type of games you want to chill and play for hours like this is.

This sounds like your room setup is preventing you from comfortably using the pointer controls, aside from other issues you might have with the controls. Which is unfortunate, because there might not be much you can do about it. :(

I don't know your exact setup, but still maybe this could be a helpful suggestion: As vazel pointed out, the pointer controls are "indirect" or as I would rather say: relative to the sensor bar as opposed as relative to the TV. Would placing the sensor bar on your desk in plain view of the Wiimote's camera help? I know that the sensor bar's cable is rather long...

I'm in a fairly small room, my TV is on a table behind and to the side of my desk, so instead of sitting at my desk like I would for a normal game, I have to move away so my desk won't block the remote's view of the TV. For typical motion games with "waggle" I can expect that I need to compromise my positioning or even hold the remote up, but those aren't the type of games you want to chill and play for hours like this is. I just find the remote cumbersome compared to a traditional controller in this situation, and I've never been against motion controls in general. In fact I've been dying to see how these controls felt ever since people raved about how great they were when MP3 came out, but now that I've experienced them I just wish I could go back to traditional controls since mouse or stylus aren't options.

I just did the boss and frigate escape segments and found myself bumping into walls, turning where I didn't want to, and just generally feeling held back by the remote. It's like having an analog stick with a massive deadzone.

I guess I had too high of expectations since I'm pretty sure I've heard people claim these games control better than a mouse and keyboard.

Move the sensor bar to where you like it.
Rest your hands wherever you like them. Wiimote nunchuck is so unbelievable relaxing.

Mistle

So the game doesn't scale to fullscreen on 16:9 on my TV. Game disks in Wii mode do, was that the same for Galaxy 2? Or is this a Prime thing?
Haven't tried the Wii U version, but it definitely didn't fill 16:9 on the original Wii version. So I guess it's the same. Which is a shame, as it has always annoyed me.

And my TV is definitely set up correctly, I'm really peculiar when it comes to TVs. You could turn 16:9 overscan ON, which I wouldn't recommend for any other situation, but it could help here by zooming the whole thing in a tiny bit.

Lynd7

Haven't tried the Wii U version, but it definitely didn't fill 16:9 on the original Wii version. So I guess it's the same. Which is a shame, as it has always annoyed me.

And my TV is definitely set up correctly, I'm really peculiar when it comes to TVs. You could turn 16:9 overscan ON, which I wouldn't recommend for any other situation, but it could help here by zooming the whole thing in a tiny bit.

Ah ok, I guess it was them fudging the 16:9 a bit for the Wii versions of Prime 1 and 2. I don't remember 3 having a border from back when I played it originally.

ZeroX03

Banned
Installing now. Never have to use my precious disc again.

Nintendo should do heaps more Wii titles, all of them with an entry level discount. Looking at you, Kirby games.

*flashback to June 2009*

Hey guys! What do you think of the new Metroid Other M announcement? You think it'll be better than Metroid Prime??? Because, geez, it sure looks promising!!

----------------------------------------
The thirst for a new and good 3D Metroid on WiiU is real, I tell you!!!

Tarps

Wow just checked the OT for the first time in a while and it's got even better, nice job Verger!

RE: Save Transfers - I've got the save file onto my SD. Do I need to do anything else or will the game read it from there? I tried moving it to the Wii U memory or my external HDD, but I'm not sure how to.

Mechazawa

I'm really glad I poked my head in here. I picked up a physical copy of Trilogy a month ago and was unaware that "Normal" was different for the collection than it was for the original games. I only got past the introduction in Prime 1 so starting over isn't really an issue.

What I'm unclear on though, is if this is across all games or just specific ones?

This game is still great! Bought on eShop but will be playing along on Dolphin unless there are some major issues. Just got to the first save point in the Chozo ruins and the music and atmosphere is really bringing me back.

Wow, this game really holds up even today.

As someone who plays current PC titles that are high res and graphically advanced, I am truly impressed by how beautiful this game looks.

Oddduck

Is there a reason why this game looks so much better on the Wii U than Super Mario Galaxy 2?

I was disappointed with how Galaxy 2 looked on my TV (tons of jaggies). When I downloaded Metroid Prime Trilogy, it looked great!

tim1138

And I remember why I stopped playing Prime 1 on the Trilogy disc release. When going for the Spirit Artifact I cannot get her to hit that second grapple point when climbing up to the hidden cave. Either the second grapple point doesn't pop up as targetable or the few times it does she lands before the animation finishes. I don't remember it being this much of a pain on the GC release.

ecosse_011172

I played an hour of MP and 30 mins of MP3 last night ( I completed all 3 the 1st time around). As glorious as ever.
Yes, the visuals don't lood as good as I remembered but they are still gorgeous games, what I had forgotten is how wonderful the music is.
I'd stab every kitten in the world through the eyeball for a new Metroid Prime game, there's nothing like it and the Wii U would be capable of producing something pretty beautiful.

Lord Phol

I had alot of problems with the wiimote at first but then I just re-calibrated it and increased the sensitivity. Works much better now, but it's still not quite where I want it to be. Advanced is waaaay too sensitive for me to use and while standard feels better it also makes it more cumbersome to turn around.

Only played for 30 minutes, still in the space station. There's alot of scanning, which is both good and bad since I got OCD. Is there some general rule I could go with, like do I need to scan every door?

Ahnez

Only played for 30 minutes, still in the space station. There's alot of scanning, which is both good and bad since I got OCD. Is there some general rule I could go with, like do I need to scan every door?

Scan everything new.

You don't have to scan thing you have scaned before.

cacildo

Some gafer posted a complete guide for the credits in this thread. Can somebody point me to it?

(i really have no idea how i could search for it)

Aside from that, got up in the middle of the night, couldnt sleep´, played a little bit. The game is beautiful, the wiimote controls are perfect. I just cant understand how i could play and finish all three games in the past and now i cant remember ANYTHING about em

Doczu

Aside from that, got up in the middle of the night, couldnt sleep´, played a little bit. The game is beautiful, the wiimote controls are perfect. I just cant understand how i could play and finish all three games in the past and now i cant remember ANYTHING about em

I'm jelaous. I wish i had that right now...

Holy shit I've just started playing Metroid Prime for the first time ever and what an opening! Beautifully introduced to the world and controls through that opening level, and then boom!
The Parasite Queen boss fight that I recognised from Brawl!

And then an escape sequence where I managed to get killed because of dicking around too much. And then just as you think you're safe, fucking Ridley appears and I've lost all my suit enhancements!
I've just touched down on the Tallon overworld and the Metroid theme starts blasting out, my god I love this game already and aI can see why it's been raved about for all these years. I just had to come on here and gush as I had no idea I'd been missing out all this time!

Top Bottom