• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
*flashback to June 2009*

Hey guys! What do you think of the new Metroid Other M announcement? You think it'll be better than Metroid Prime??? Because, geez, it sure looks promising!!

----------------------------------------
The thirst for a new and any good 3D Metroid on WiiU or 3DS is real, I tell you!!!

Fixed that. I would prefer 2D, but another Metroid Prime (or another good Metroid at all) would be bliss.

Ashler

Holy shit I've just started playing Metroid Prime for the first time ever and what an opening! Beautifully introduced to the world and controls through that opening level, and then boom!
The Parasite Queen boss fight that I recognised from Brawl!

And then an escape sequence where I managed to get killed because of dicking around too much. And then just as you think you're safe, fucking Ridley appears and I've lost all my suit enhancements!

I've just touched down on the Tallon overworld and the Metroid theme starts blasting out, my god I love this game already and aI can see why it's been raved about for all these years. I just had to come on here and gush as I had no idea I'd been missing out all this time!

You might want to consider some spoil tags there.

Fixed that. I would prefer 2D, but another Metroid Prime (or another good Metroid at all) would be bliss.
It's crazy how neither of the founders of the Metroidvania genre are realising any new 2D games anymore on home consoles. The last 2D Metroid on a console was 1994's Super Metroid and Castlevania's was 1997's SOTN. That's fucking crazy!

Holy shit I've just started playing Metroid Prime for the first time ever and what an opening! Beautifully introduced to the world and controls through that opening level, and then boom! The Parasite Queen boss fight that I recognised from Brawl!

And then an escape sequence where I managed to get killed because of dicking around too much. And then just as you think you're safe, fucking Ridley appears and I've lost all my suit enhancements!

I've just touched down on the Tallon overworld and the Metroid theme starts blasting out, my god I love this game already and aI can see why it's been raved about for all these years. I just had to come on here and gush as I had no idea I'd been missing out all this time!

As a gamer who bought Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Wii without ever having played any of the Prime titles before, I can say you're in for a treat. When I was about halfway through the first game, I was really amazed and all I could think of was "I can't believe i still have two games to play after this one". They're all fantastic games, you'll have the time of your life with them.

You might want to consider some spoil tags there.

done

As a gamer who bought Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Wii without ever having played any of the Prime titles before, I can say you're in for a treat. When I was about halfway through the first game, I was really amazed and all I could think of was "I can't believe i still have two games to play after this one". They're all fantastic games, you'll have the time of your life with them.

That's awesome to hear, I went in figuring that they were a bargain anyway, so even if I wasn't crazy about them, it certainly wasn't an expensive purchase but man, at the price they are this week it's an absolute steal, especially if that opening sequence is anything to go by.

Is there a reason why this game looks so much better on the Wii U than Super Mario Galaxy 2?

I was disappointed with how Galaxy 2 looked on my TV (tons of jaggies). When I downloaded Metroid Prime Trilogy, it looked great!
Artstyle vs hardware.

Wii's graphics chip uses some sort of insane framebuffer format where data values for neighbouring pixels is dependent on each other, kinda like JPEG. Wii U has to upscale from that. As the format fits realistic rendering better than stylised one, Galaxy suffers.

trixx

Can I put that save file on a USB stick? Would it read it?
Also what's up with the miis? Some from my Wii u are there but not all?

ChaosXVI

So happy to see so many people giving the Prime Trilogy a shot after all these years. I truly hope Nintendo is seeing this and reinforces the fact that a new FPA Metroid game would be met with open arms...

...Maybe next generation we'll get that HD remaster, but this will do for now...

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Just started Prime; remembered something vital that should be added to the OP

*ahem*

FLIP THE WIIMOTE UP TO JUMP WHILE IN MORPH BALL FORM. NO BOMBS REQUIRED.

*ahem*

Everyone should also know how to rapid fire missiles. Fire a missile with down then immediately hit A and then down again. This cancels the reload animation so you don't have to wait between firing :D think only works in Prime 1 though. Can't remember.

ASIS

I had alot of problems with the wiimote at first but then I just re-calibrated it and increased the sensitivity. Works much better now, but it's still not quite where I want it to be. Advanced is waaaay too sensitive for me to use and while standard feels better it also makes it more cumbersome to turn around.

Only played for 30 minutes, still in the space station. There's alot of scanning, which is both good and bad since I got OCD. Is there some general rule I could go with, like do I need to scan every door?

Keep advanced on, you will get better at it much faster than you think.

Zarovitch

Holy shit I've just started playing Metroid Prime for the first time ever and what an opening! Beautifully introduced to the world and controls through that opening level, and then boom!

To much people don't play Metroid Prime in it's time. I'm happy that you enjoy it.

soxxx

Banned
Wow im impressed. Mario Galaxy 2 looked like complete crap on my 32 inch tv, like it ruined the amazing visuals I once remembered, but Metroid actually looks pretty good, and it doesnt go full screen for whatever reason which is good.

Props Nintendo, im looking forward to finally beating Metroid Prime which I could never beat when I was 10 years old....I beat Prime 3, but never touched Echoes because after the first prime I didnt feel like I could beat it/like it.

I just did the boss and frigate escape segments and found myself bumping into walls, turning where I didn't want to, and just generally feeling held back by the remote. It's like having an analog stick with a massive deadzone.

Try going into the Options menu (if in-game, press 2, then -) and changing the sensitivity from Standard to Advanced. This completely gets rid of the bounding box/deadzone, which tends to make turning and looking around the environment a little less cumbersome.

Also, if you have trouble aiming after making this change (since the screen will always move at least a tiny bit when you move the remote), you can hold the Z button at any time to lock the screen, which allows you to aim freely without changing where you're looking.

How the hell do you use the Gamepad as the sensor bar? I can't get past the "Choose TV or gamepad" screen.
You need a classic controller or an external sensor bar to get past that screen. Candles will do in a pinch.

With Wii mode games it was possible to avoid it by holding down B when starting the system, but that option isn't available for these games that launch directly from the Wii u menu.

Edit: as someone pointed out later this is not true if you only want the game to display on the gamepad screen. That can be done by hitting the + button on the remote.

K' Dash

This is my first time playing Metroid Prime with the Wiimote, it feels just as Awesome as Corruption, I won't go back.

If Prime 4 gets made, it needs to give the option to play with the Wiimote.

rekameohs

Banned
You need a classic controller or an external sensor bar to get past that screen. Candles will do in a pinch.

With Wii mode games it was possible to avoid it by holding down B when starting the system, but that option isn't available for these games that launch directly from the Wii u menu.
Nope, just press + to play the game on the gamepad only.

I'm in a fairly small room, my TV is on a table behind and to the side of my desk, so instead of sitting at my desk like I would for a normal game, I have to move away so my desk won't block the remote's view of the TV. For typical motion games with "waggle" I can expect that I need to compromise my positioning or even hold the remote up, but those aren't the type of games you want to chill and play for hours like this is. I just find the remote cumbersome compared to a traditional controller in this situation, and I've never been against motion controls in general. In fact I've been dying to see how these controls felt ever since people raved about how great they were when MP3 came out, but now that I've experienced them I just wish I could go back to traditional controls since mouse or stylus aren't options.

I just did the boss and frigate escape segments and found myself bumping into walls, turning where I didn't want to, and just generally feeling held back by the remote. It's like having an analog stick with a massive deadzone.

I guess I had too high of expectations since I'm pretty sure I've heard people claim these games control better than a mouse and keyboard.

It's a new control scheme. You're not going to be an expert at it right away. Do you remember the first time you played a dual analog shooter? You probably spent a lot of time looking at the floor and the ceiling, just like most people did their first time.

Chozolore

Yeah, that was annoying.

Tadale

This is my first time playing Metroid Prime with the Wiimote, it feels just as Awesome as Corruption, I won't go back.

If Prime 4 gets made, it needs to give the option to play with the Wiimote.

I'm playing through Prime 1 with the wii remote for the first time. Maybe it's just because I'm used to the way that game felt with the Gamecube controller, but I wish the option was there.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Time to buy these for a third time! @_@

And you know just they'll come out with an HD remaster at some point, meaning I'll buy them once again.

rekameohs

Banned
For people having issues with the turning/Wiimote dead-zone. Turn "Sensitivity" to Advanced! It makes a world of difference, and later became the de-facto standard for Wii FPS controls. Before that was crap like Red Steel, which is represented in Metroid with the "Basic" sensitivity.

Lock on free aim is something that differs from person to person, but for me, I much prefer it on because I like being able to freely aim at all times.

K' Dash

I'm playing through Prime 1 with the wii remote for the first time. Maybe it's just because I'm used to the way that game felt with the Gamecube controller, but I wish the option was there.

did you turn off "Lock on free aim" and using Advanced sensitivity?

Finally (finally!) being able to play this game(s), oh boy am I hyped.
Am I correct to assume that I should choose Veteran level of difficulty for normal playthrough?

-Horizon-

Reading these first impressions for this amazing set of games makes me feel all fuzzy inside. If I had the time, I would start replaying my copy too.

PrinceKee

Right before the first boss there's a save room.

The next time you can save is when you finish the intro area and reach the planet.

Damn I forgot this game had save points. How far apart gameplay wise are they on average? Excited to play these games but, as a gamer that doesn't have a lot of time to play hope the checkpoints/saves doesn't keep me from beating it. Only played the original Prime and didn't finish it so I can't wait to dive into the trilogy this weekend...

Travo

Downloaded this even though I have the physical copy. There's something about having it right there on my dashboard that is so appealing.

Anbec7

So I beat Prime back in the gamecube days...

Should I start from that or just jump into Echoes?
So exited to remember all these games :)

Also any tips? it's been quite some time...

"Normal" is a brand-new mode that is extremely easy. "Veteran" is the same as the Gamecube version's Normal, which is great. "Hypermode" is the same as Gamecube's Hard.

Did not know that, no wonder it took me a couple of months to beat when it first launched. Prime 1 was really hard. I miss challenging games like that.

"Normal" is a brand-new mode that is extremely easy. "Veteran" is the same as the Gamecube version's Normal, which is great. "Hypermode" is the same as Gamecube's Hard.

Well, crap. It looks like I'm going to have to start up a new game, then!

I don't get it though... why would they do this? Considering the motion controls make it quicker and easier to aim than ever before, shouldn't they have done the complete opposite and made the game more difficult by default? It just doesn't make sense to me.

KarmaCow

So I beat Prime back in the gamecube days...

Should I start from that or just jump into Echoes?
So exited to remember all these games :)

Also any tips? it's been quite some time...

It's a Nintendo game, not Crusader Kings II. If you managed to grasp Metroid Prime 12 years ago, I'm sure you can figure out Metroid Prime 2.

Bought. Can't beat that price. Excited that my oldest will be able to play these for the first time.

I never played Corruption so I might have to borrow his Wii U at some point.

rekameohs

Banned
Lock on free aim is important in 3, but it'll make 1 and 2 unnecessarily difficult.

I disagree. The only enemies in 3 that require you to aim independently from locking (such as the first boss) force you to do this even if Lock On Free Aim is turned off.

It really does come down to personal preference, like I said before, and I personally think that the freedom it gives you when it's turned on in all games is preferable.

Well, crap. It looks like I'm going to have to start up a new game, then!

I don't get it though... why would they do this? Considering the motion controls make it quicker and easier to aim than ever before, shouldn't they have done the complete opposite and made the game more difficult by default? It just doesn't make sense to me.

I think it stems from the fact that Corruption had three difficulty settings. Normal was way easier than either Prime or Echoes, Veteran was a comparable difficulty to GC Normal, and Hyper was GC Hard. They probably did this to cater to the more casual market of the Wii.

Then Trilogy just copied this approach and made a Normal mode for the first two games as easy as Corruption's. I really can't recommend playing any of them on Trilogy's Normal because you'll likely never be challenged on health at all. Sort of reminds me of Twilight Princess combat's (lack of) difficulty if you want a comparison. Puzzles are obviously just as "hard" in all difficulties.

I am so not used to playing Wii games anymore. Real strain on the wrist after all this time, and it's hard for me to find a comfy sitting position that the sensor bar can read.

Hitting down on the d pad to fire missiles does not feel ideal.

Veelk

Banned
Is the "normal" mode too easy?

I enjoyed the opening level, but it really was a breeze. The boss went down in seconds after I realized it's weak spot and I didn't go down more than 85% despite taking a few hits. I had assumed this was just because this was a first level and the difficulty would level out.

However, at the same time, I don't have the time for a super tough game these days.

I want something challenging but reasonably doable. Should I stick to 'normal' or bump it up to the originals normal?

Top Bottom