• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

But don't you get endings depending on how much you scanned? Or some other unlockables?

Scan whatever you feel you want to know more of. Scanning some enemies is extremely helpful. Also, later on through the game, you get to scan monitors and such to get a better idea of wtf happened in that room and so on.

It isn't much of a hassle unless you make it a hassle. Dont feel like you need to scan absolutely everything.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
How many play with the helmet opacity all the way down? I just tried it and it completely opens up the view. Can't believe I always played with it on.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Scan whatever you feel you want to know more of. Scanning some enemies is extremely helpful. Also, later on through the game, you get to scan monitors and such to get a better idea of wtf happened in that room and so on.

It isn't much of a hassle unless you make it a hassle. Dont feel like you need to scan absolutely everything.
On this playthrough (my fourth) I'm scanning WAY fewer things, and it's making me like the game a lot more. Scanning is boring for me, and I don't care about most of the story details. I'm glad it's there for the folks who like it, and I'm glad it's optional for me. :)

How many play with the helmet opacity all the way down? I just tried it and it completely opens up the view. Can't believe I always played with it on.
Yup, all the way down for me. It's a cool idea, but no thanks.

Mistle

I think the game's supposed to feel a bit claustrophobic in that regard. But of course there's nothing wrong turning it off.

Edit: oh wait, it's all stretched horizontally on the Wii versions isn't it? Yeah, that might not look so great.

Verger

Banned
On this playthrough (my fourth) I'm scanning WAY fewer things, and it's making me like the game a lot more. Scanning is boring for me, and I don't care about most of the story details. I'm glad it's there for the folks who like it, and I'm glad it's optional for me. :)

Yup, all the way down for me. It's a cool idea, but no thanks.
That is the beauty of that system in that it is for the most part optional. I'd say you could get through the game and only have to scan maybe 5% of things. It's a great way on the games part to tell you a story for those who really want to know :)
Hmm, you know I don't know if I ever messed with these settings even when the game came out way back when on the GC (was it even an option to do so back then?)

I probably should check it out and see how it makes things look. Can someone post a side-by-side image for comparison? I'd add it to the OP :)

TheMoon

It's crazy how neither of the founders of the Metroidvania genre are realising any new 2D games anymore on home consoles. The last 2D Metroid on a console was 1994's Super Metroid and Castlevania's was 1997's SOTN. That's fucking crazy!

Nope. The last console 2D Castlevanias came out in 2009/2010 with Castlevania The Adventure Rebirth (WiiWare, 2009) and Castlevania Harmony of Despair (XBLA, 2010)

Spades

Loving the game so far - I'm treating this as my first play through as I played so little on the GameCube, I can't remember it.

Quick question - I'm finding it awkward to use the d-pad down for missile. Is this something that you get used to or would you recommend mapping it to another button?

TheMoon

Sölf;149824400 said:
I have a question regarding the controls. Are they strictly motion control with Nunchuck + Wii Mote or is there an option to use a controller? Prime 1+2 were originally for the NGC, but I am not sure what happend to the controls in the trilogy. I would prefer a normal controller for the simply reason that I don't have that much room and aiming can be quite difficult sometimes.

If you can jerk off in your chair, you can use a Wiimote to aim. You don't swing your arm around, contrary to what a certain Ubisoft commercial tried to sell you in 2006.

Madao

Loving the game so far - I'm treating this as my first play through as I played so little on the GameCube, I can't remember it.

Quick question - I'm finding it awkward to use the d-pad down for missile. Is this something that you get used to or would you recommend mapping it to another button?

it can't be mapped anywhere else. gotta get used to it.

that button does feel bad but the remote doesn't have any other good free buttons.

Kadin

It took me some time adjusting to having to slightly adjust my grip whenever I need to use the d-pad. In time, it'll become second nature... hopefully.

Macleoid

Just reached the first save point in MP and it looks a lot better than I was expecting it too. The last game from this era I played on a modern telly was RE4 and it looked pretty mucky.

I forgot how much I enjoy pointer controlls.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If this is true I can't figure out how to do it. Can anyone else confirm this? I want to play on my TV not the Gamepad.

Have you tried adjusting the sensitivity in the settings? The IR lights on the gamepad are really close together and aren't really intended to be used across the room.

Verger

Banned
Just reached the first save point in MP and it looks a lot better than I was expecting it too. The last game from this era I played on a modern telly was RE4 and it looked pretty mucky.

I forgot how much I enjoy pointer controlls.
IMO, Frigate Orpheon was one of the prettiest looking areas in the game for me. I know people mostly enjoyed the visuals once you got on Tallon IV, but I loved the layout, design and aesthetics of the Frigate a lot. The way it is still mostly intact but with some areas compromised due to the escape of the Parasite Queens was just awesome. And there are so many details in the environment art that really stand out. Many of the rooms are really awesome.
Frigate_Orpheon_3.png

metroid_art_10.jpg

There's not really a "how" to it....just prop the thing up with the screen facing you and it's good to go. I used it yesterday.

It comes to a screen that has two options "TV + Gamepad" or just "Gamepad" and you need the Wii Remote controls to select them unless you hit +, which sets it to just Gamepad. I want to get the TV + Gamepad controls I think. Not sure if I'm being clear enough here, as it does not seem to be something I can do in the Settings menu.

Nope. The last console 2D Castlevanias came out in 2009/2010 with Castlevania The Adventure Rebirth (WiiWare, 2009) and Castlevania Harmony of Despair (XBLA, 2010)
Neither of them are of the Metroidvania type of game. HoD may look like one but it sure as hell ain't one.

Neither is that weird remake of that GB game no one played because it was available only on WiiWare.

The first and only Metroid-esque Castlevania Konami ever released on a home console continues to be only SotN.

TheMoon

If this is true I can't figure out how to do it. Can anyone else confirm this? I want to play on my TV not the Gamepad.

You obviously need to enable "TV + GamePad" when launching the game so that the GamePad is ON (incl. the built-in sensor bar). If you just select "TV" then the GamePad is off and so is the sensor bar.

It comes to a screen that has two options "TV + Gamepad" or just "Gamepad" and you need the Wii Remote controls to select them unless you hit +, which sets it to just Gamepad. I want to get the TV + Gamepad controls I think. Not sure if I'm being clear enough here, as it does not seem to be something I can do in the Settings menu.

During that screen the GamePad sensor bar is disabled. Get a candle.

Madao

IMO, Frigate Orpheon was one of the prettiest looking areas in the game for me. I know people mostly enjoyed the visuals once you got on Tallon IV, but I loved the layout, design and aesthetics of the Frigate a lot. The way it is still mostly intact but with some areas compromised due to the escape of the Parasite Queens was just awesome. And there are so many details in the environment art that really stand out. Many of the rooms are really awesome.
Frigate_Orpheon_3.png

metroid_art_10.jpg

one day i was messing with the game and stopped to look for some details in the frigate and it's kind of crazy how there's so many little details that can't be seen that easily unless you replay the game.

€10 is too cheap for this awesome collection

I am disgusted

I feel like fucking throwing up just thinking about it.

The music once you get into the Reactor Core. Damn.

This area gives me the creeps though. I feel super weird just being underwater. Gives me anxiety.

/shudder

ASIS

The only Metroid I haven't played yet is Echoes
Should I bite?

Is this the worst investment you could make with 10 bucks?

If the answer is no (and it should be no) then go for it.

BUY IT!!
Is there a good guide for scanning, preferably one that sorts scans by location and marks single scan things?
http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Logbook_entries_in_Metroid_Prime

The same site has logbook entries for MP2 and 3. So if you like it you can check those out.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So, when I start Echoes, should I play at "normal" difficulty if I find "veteran" in Prime to be just the right challenge?

You obviously need to enable "TV + GamePad" when launching the game so that the GamePad is ON (incl. the built-in sensor bar). If you just select "TV" then the GamePad is off and so is the sensor bar.

During that screen the GamePad sensor bar is disabled. Get a candle.

Thanks I got it to work and got up to regaining the Morph Ball in Prime 1. I think I am going to wait for the sensor bar to return as the area I can actively use the pointer is so small with the Gamepad that it was a bit of a hassle.

Kadin

So is everyone having the time of their life with this trilogy?
I just died at the 2nd main boss after the ship and my save was like an hour prior. My skills are so terrible with this game again. Ugh. Luckily playing from where I was is still a fun experience so to answer your question, "yes!" I just wish I wasn't so green again... lol

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I really wish they would of added controller support. I also bought Galaxy 2. It's a bit odd using motion control on my gamepad screen. I hate all these small things we have to work around.

rekameohs

Banned
So, when I start Echoes, should I play at "normal" difficulty if I find "veteran" in Prime to be just the right challenge?
Do Veteran. Echoes' challenge comes from its expansive world, getting lost, etc moreso than health. The tougher bosses that people had trouble with on GC are all made easier by the Wii controls.

It is a touch more challenging than Prime but it's very rewarding to not use the easy mode

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I beat the rock boss in MP1 on one try on Veteran, but man, what a tedious fight. I've always found that guy boring.

So I picked up this trilogy. Haven't played prime since the Gamecube. Never finished it, but enjoyed it. Game looks great on the Wii U on my 720p TV. BUT...

...I am REALLY struggling with these controls. The wiimote is SO sensitive, but that seems like something I'll have to get used to. My natural state seems to have my hand drifting which means that my character will always spin a little when in neutral.

The thing that's KILLING me is that I'm just not understanding the + and - buttons for the scanners. I've been stuck in one small room in the tutorial for 20 minutes because it tells me to use the " - " to scan CERTAIN objects. A static reticule appears, and I've no idea what to scan because my FoV is so limited, I've no idea what to scan, and the icon doesn't move. It's frustrating.

Intuitively, I'm thinking that wherever I aim, I should be able to scan. For some reason I feel like i was able to do that on the GameCube.

Top Bottom