• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

This is my first time really playing any of the Prime games. Started with the first one, just got the upgrade that lets me jump as a morph ball. The controls took a tiny bit to get used to, but I'm doing fine with them now. Having pause as the 1 & 2 buttons is odd but it works given the control set up. I only have gotten stuck once so far. Once I got the morph ball, I went back to where I beat the boss that gave me the missiles since I remember seeing a morph ball entrance, and eded up wasting my missiles trying to figure out how to go up Sun Tower. Oh well, I'm sure I'll go back there later. My only real complaint so far is the lack of save points. They feel so few and far a part. Perhaps I'm just spoiled by modern games? A limited quick warp system would be cool too. Also, I wonder why they changed the difficulty labels around. I started the game on normal, and didn't read until after the first boss that normal was the new easy. Oh well, I'll know what to pick for Echoes and Corruption I guess.

Haven't played these games in years, I forgot how amazing the level design is. Really superb. Even the backtracking is fun and makes you think in new ways.

Wagram

I actually still own a brand new copy of this for Wii. I purchased a back-ordered new copy of the Metroid Prime Trilogy C.E. for $20. It's still on my shelf collecting dust because I haven't had the time to go back and touch it.

Agent_J

I actually still own a brand new copy of this for Wii. I purchased a back-ordered new copy of the Metroid Prime Trilogy C.E. for $20. It's still on my shelf collecting dust because I haven't had the time to go back and touch it.
I have one as well and decided to buy the digital one so I can A) play the games without hurting the resale value of my physical copy and B) show support for Metroid so Nintendo can hopefully make more

TheMoon

Wait wait wait...you can jump with the morph ball now? Is that some new upgrade?

Yup. A very meta one.
WiiRemote1.jpg

Pretty lazy then. You'd think being the same architecture, the existing code would run on Wii U with a minimal amount of effort. These games deserve better.
Congratulations on making the rookie's mistake. "Architecture".

• CPU architecture - the design of CPU. Most gaming systems feature at least one developer-programmable CPU, which is usually the most easy to use, most customizable part of the system. Wii U shares majority of its CPU architecture with Wii so that it could cheaply run Wii games on the same CPU. This thing used to matter much in porting when the games were done in assembly, i.e. directly in given CPU's language. Nowadays it matters less.
  • System architecture - the overall design of the whole system, i.e. what parts are there and what can they do. This thing matters now more than in NES days since the systems used to have very similar system architectures, and the only seriously programmable part was CPU so it didn't matter that much how the rest of stuff worked exactly unless you were making really "tricky" code. Wii U doesn't share its overall system architecture with Wii, barring some minimal similarities. It is more comparable to Xbox 360 or to Xbox One, depending whether you care about overall performance or just design.

I'm really tempted to grab this despite having my $50 copy of the reprinted collection untouched on my shelf on top of a copy of the three original versions of these games.

But dammit I love them, and those load times are a huge upgrade.

Alric

I have the physical wii version but I picked up the $10 version just for ease to not have to take Bayonetta or MH3U out of my system.

Toxi

Banned
Can't this sequence break the game pretty hard? Or am I remembering things wrong?
I don't think so. It's going to give you the same height as a single bomb jump and double bomb jumping is already easy.

It does unfortunately trivalize a few puzzles based around double bomb jumping, like the part with the breaking blocks in Magmoor.

EDIT: Oh, and you only can spring jump after you get bombs, so you can't sequence break by jumping too early.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think so. It's going to give you the same height as a single bomb jump and double bomb jumping is already easy.

It does unfortunately trivalize a few puzzles based around double bomb jumping, like the part with the breaking blocks in Magmoor.
I discovered the jump ability right after beating that puzzle, haha.

Worst part about this game is that they replaced Prime's iconic menu screen with some N64-looking shit.
The Prime title screen was corny as hell. I know that's not a popular opinion amongst Metroid fans, but I stand by it!

You need a classic controller or an external sensor bar to get past that screen. Candles will do in a pinch.

With Wii mode games it was possible to avoid it by holding down B when starting the system, but that option isn't available for these games that launch directly from the Wii u menu.

This is no longer true. I've been playing MPT exclusively off-TV (the pixel density and SD resolution make the game look as wonderful as ever) and, either with the new digital releases or with going into the Wii menu from the Wii U, there is now an option to press + instead of pointing at the screen to launch Wii Mode with the GamePad as the sensor bar.

I don't know when this changed, but it must have been recently, as not long ago I was playing Xenoblade off-TV and I remember having to launch with holding B.

EMT0

Banned
If I have a basic Wii U, I'm guessing I'm screwed and need to go out and buy a HDD. Anybody have any advice on a good HDD that's Wii U compatible? I don't think I've ever seen an external HDD with it's own power supply.

This is no longer true. I've been playing MPT exclusively off-TV (the pixel density and SD resolution make the game look as wonderful as ever) and, either with the new digital releases or with going into the Wii menu from the Wii U, there is now an option to press + instead of pointing at the screen to launch Wii Mode with the GamePad as the sensor bar.

I don't know when this changed, but it must have been recently, as not long ago I was playing Xenoblade off-TV and I remember having to launch with holding B.
Yes, this works but it won't display the game on the tv screen which is what I thought he wanted. (Game on tv, Game pad used instead of the sensor bar by putting it on its stand in front of the tv).

I just checked and pressing plus results in the tv screen going black when launching the game. Works great for off tv so thanks for pointing that out.

If I have a basic Wii U, I'm guessing I'm screwed and need to go out and buy a HDD. Anybody have any advice on a good HDD that's Wii U compatible? I don't think I've ever seen an external HDD with it's own power supply.
Get any usb hard drive labeled "desktop" and it will have an AC adapter included, they're available on amazon and probably at your local best buy. Usb ssds will also work since they need less power, but cost more and the Wii u can't take advantage of the additional speed anyway.

For what it's worth, I've been using a bus powered drive with a y cable fine since launch, but some people have reported issues with that.

Edit: check out http://en-americas-support.nintendo...ernal-storage-devices-can-be-used-with-wii-u?

Worst part about this game is that they replaced Prime's iconic menu screen with some N64-looking shit.

Yeah, this is pretty disappointing. All three games have awesome title screens with awesome music. It's a shame that new players miss out on that.

Valhalla is my favorite location in the game.

When I was a kid with the game, I was scared of going there haha.

When you were a kid? That can't be right. Metroid Prime 3 only came out...

...Oh my god, it came out 8 years ago??

Vena

When you were a kid? That can't be right. Metroid Prime 3 only came out...

...Oh my god, it came out 8 years ago??

I know! Well, kid is probably wrong, I was a teen but I call that "kid" now, lol.

But holy shit, when I went in there the first and heard the ambient music, the wreckage, the clicks of the metroids, the scan information... I ran away very quickly and went back to exploring Elysia.

Converse

Banned
Downloaded this evening and played Metroid Prime for about an hour. I've beaten the trilogy, and consider myself a pretty dedicated Metroid fan. However, I haven't played the Trilogy version of the games and I haven't picked up a Prime title since beating Corruption just after its release in 2007.

I had a slightly rocky start. The download took an age. My TV encases the game in black border (apparently, I don't have an overscan option on my very new television). Oh shit, now I have to go back to the Wii Mode on the Wii U and make a Mii, unless I want a generic cartoon avatar (which I don't). Okay, now we're good to go. What? They took out the title screens for the individual games? I fucking loved the title screens.

Then the game started. Sweet buttery Jesus. First off, Metroid Prime still looks fantastic. I was shocked by how good a 2002 game designed for CRT displays looks on a 42" 1080p screen from late 2014. Ah, then the music. The immaculate music. This, of course, followed by the pitch-perfect introduction of Samus. The god-damned incomparable atmosphere. And when I say "incomparable," I mean it. I still haven't encountered a game with an ambiance that is quite so palpable. The art direction remains unparalleled -- the world is just so immensely dense, and the assets so lovingly crafted with so very much variety. And it turns out I still have the impulse to scan every object under the sun; I just want to soak it all up like some strange intergalactic ray. I'd forgotten how nicely the game builds -- the sense of inevitability and doom you get from collecting the scraps of the story through environmental data. And how outright badass you feel when you realize that the Space Pirates have written about you, "The Hunter."

One thing that struck me, something made especially clear by the passing of years, is how completely tactile this game is. It's a cliche at this point, but no other game -- first-person or not -- has put me so believably into a virtual character's shoes. Nintendo's developers talk a lot about how a game "feels," and here we have a prime (aaaaaaay) example. The way Samus' visor wobbles a bit when she moves, the way she looks down as she jumps and lands with a heavy thud and the myriad interactive environmental touches combine to give you a really compelling sense that you're in this suit of armor, peering through this HUD just as Samus would. And -- again, having never played Prime with motion controls and not having touched Corruption since the heyday of the Wii -- it's a crying shame that pointer controls didn't catch on for console first-person shooters. Holding that remote and watching Samus' blaster mimic the little rolls of your wrist just adds another (I'll say it) immersive wrinkle. You forget about the controls very quickly, just as you should, because they just feel like natural propulsion.

I have a buddy who's developing an indie first-person game, and has never played any of the Prime games. I called him up just now and told him that I've planned his weekend, and it involves lots of beer and hours of Metroid Prime. The reason for that is the same reason why ever gamer should play this trilogy: it's a masterclass in game design.

I just got a "Pirate Activity Increasing" message - That's just a hint to go towards Magmoor, right? The game isn't punishing me for dicking around in the Ruins after I've found the elevator, right?

I just got a "Pirate Activity Increasing" message - That's just a hint to go towards Magmoor, right? The game isn't punishing me for dicking around in the Ruins after I've found the elevator, right?

The game gives you hints after a certain amount of time passes following completion of the previous objective.

Toxi

Banned
No punishment, it's just a hint for those who want an idea of where to go. Dick around in the ruins all you like.

You can turn off hints in the option menu if they bug you or you want to explore without any help.

zogged

Whenever I try to load up Prime I keep getting a disc read error at the pirate frigate, its weird cause from what I've played 2 and 3 have no issues whatsoever. Anyone get a similar problem and know of a fix?

Verger

Banned
I think someone brought up how these games feel so refined and advanced in terms of game design and gameplay, and how even now, over a decade later in some instances, they are as or even more impressive than the games being designed currently on our "next-gen" hardware or high-end PC's.

It definitely feels, IMO, that game design has almost regressed since these games. There's been more and more emphasis but on making things less complex and less detailed. Yeah, Prime's visuals are probably dated, but the details put into the environments and stages are still quite evident if you look. And of course the art-style still holds it up high even today.

To throw out an example, I have been playing Wolfenstein: The New Order on PC lately and while enjoying it, the level design is not anything to write home about. To me it doesn't seem like a lot of developers take the time to actually craft and polish the worlds they wish to create and rely upon random generated objects or easily re-used assets to populate worlds without much care into any foundation of these levels.

I know I was hesitant to bring up "Other M". But man, playing these games really writes home what a real regression that entry into the franchise was in so many respects. In level design, it was hardly anything compared to the levels of Prime. And the story, hahah! Well, in Prime Samus is pissed when she sees Ridley and he gets away and tails his ass down to the planet, yet in Other M she's a PTSD-ridden weakling.

Yeah...Prime rules. Bring on Prime 4 please Nintendo/Retro

Finally had a chance to sit down and play this for a few hours.

Looks even better than I remembered it. I had a complete Prime save, so I started a new Fusion Suit run. First time I did one with the Fusion Suit (Fusion Varia is just as hideous in 3D).

Got to about halfway through the first visit to Magmoor. Then got really low hp after a mishap in some lava and ran back all the way to save and heal because I got a bunch of missile powerups.

vazel

Banned
To follow up on my previous topic of conversation in this thread, I was able to make physical pointing reasonably more accurate by sitting 6-7 feet from my 42'' HDTV. This is farther than I would prefer to sit from my screen but it's more fun for me having accurate pointer controls instead of having to rely solely on relative motion movements for aiming.

Timeaisis

I haven't had to use a guide once, which is astonishing considering all the backtracking you do throughout the game. I don't know how they did it, but the majority of the time I'm like "let me try going here with my new ability", it's where I'm supposed to be. Pretty amazing, if you think about it.

Downloaded this evening and played Metroid Prime for about an hour. I've beaten the trilogy, and consider myself a pretty dedicated Metroid fan. However, I haven't played the Trilogy version of the games and I haven't picked up a Prime title since beating Corruption just after its release in 2007.

I had a slightly rocky start. The download took an age. My TV encases the game in black border (apparently, I don't have an overscan option on my very new television). Oh shit, now I have to go back to the Wii Mode on the Wii U and make a Mii, unless I want a generic cartoon avatar (which I don't). Okay, now we're good to go. What? They took out the title screens for the individual games? I fucking loved the title screens.

Then the game started. Sweet buttery Jesus. First off, Metroid Prime still looks fantastic. I was shocked by how good a 2002 game designed for CRT displays looks on a 42" 1080p screen from late 2014. Ah, then the music. The immaculate music. This, of course, followed by the pitch-perfect introduction of Samus. The god-damned incomparable atmosphere. And when I say "incomparable," I mean it. I still haven't encountered a game with an ambiance that is quite so palpable. The art direction remains unparalleled -- the world is just so immensely dense, and the assets so lovingly crafted with so very much variety. And it turns out I still have the impulse to scan every object under the sun; I just want to soak it all up like some strange intergalactic ray. I'd forgotten how nicely the game builds -- the sense of inevitability and doom you get from collecting the scraps of the story through environmental data. And how outright badass you feel when you realize that the Space Pirates have written about you, "The Hunter."

One thing that struck me, something made especially clear by the passing of years, is how completely tactile this game is. It's a cliche at this point, but no other game -- first-person or not -- has put me so believably into a virtual character's shoes. Nintendo's developers talk a lot about how a game "feels," and here we have a prime (aaaaaaay) example. The way Samus' visor wobbles a bit when she moves, the way she looks down as she jumps and lands with a heavy thud and the myriad interactive environmental touches combine to give you a really compelling sense that you're in this suit of armor, peering through this HUD just as Samus would. And -- again, having never played Prime with motion controls and not having touched Corruption since the heyday of the Wii -- it's a crying shame that pointer controls didn't catch on for console first-person shooters. Holding that remote and watching Samus' blaster mimic the little rolls of your wrist just adds another (I'll say it) immersive wrinkle. You forget about the controls very quickly, just as you should, because they just feel like natural propulsion.

I have a buddy who's developing an indie first-person game, and has never played any of the Prime games. I called him up just now and told him that I've planned his weekend, and it involves lots of beer and hours of Metroid Prime. The reason for that is the same reason why ever gamer should play this trilogy: it's a masterclass in game design.

Excellent post. I felt the same way picking this up again..."why did these controls never catch on?"

I just want to preface this by saying that Metroid is my favorite game series, well either that or Mario. However, the only Prime game I have ever beat was corruption. I know I know, how can I claim metroid is my favorite series without playing Prime? Well, the series is just that good. Now, back to the topic at hand, I've just entered Phendrana Drifts for the first time and oh my god guys! I've heard the OST before, I've seen screenshots, hell I've probably seen video, but there is just something about experiencing this game from the beginning and coming here for the first time. It's lived up to the hype. It's absolutely majestic.

bndadm

Except for 3 having that opening with the military, these games are so nice because of the independence it gives.

There used to be a time when I didn't have someone babbling in my ear in every single mission coaching me through. I love it.

moolamb

Exactly this. I picked this up yesterday for the first time. Couldn't put it down until I was deathly tired at about 4am. It's freaking incredible how visceral and tight the experience is. I love the Wiimote-Nunchuck combo while slobbing out on the couch. This is glory.

TheWraith

Weird game runs until I choose any of the three games to start and it's stuck on the loading screen, until automatically resetting the system after a minute or so. Help?

Game is installed on external HDD, which has many games including Wii U retail games which all run fine. :(

I know! Well, kid is probably wrong, I was a teen but I call that "kid" now, lol.

But holy shit, when I went in there the first and heard the ambient music, the wreckage, the clicks of the metroids, the scan information... I ran away very quickly and went back to exploring Elysia.
Elysia also has the Metroid lab, which is pretty damn freaky.

Even after all these years, I'm still blown away at how good Prime's opening is. How it sets the tone, introduces the gameplay mechanics, handles atmosphere, tells a story entirely without cutscenes, and just how goddamn GORGEOUS Samus's model and the environments are.

RomanceDawn

So glad this is out! Bought it at first light yesterday! Best thing about it is people can be reminded that Ridley isn't a balloon and actually does fight while standing on the ground.

Vena

Elysia also has the Metroid lab, which is pretty damn freaky.

I totally forgot about that... I remember now, when I stumbled on it and how the power was still on, all the Metroids in their containment units... until I turned it off to get the power cell.

Fuck.

Top Bottom