• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

Ahnez

The thing that's KILLING me is that I'm just not understanding the + and - buttons for the scanners. I've been stuck in one small room in the tutorial for 20 minutes because it tells me to use the " - " to scan CERTAIN objects. A static reticule appears, and I've no idea what to scan because my FoV is so limited, I've no idea what to scan, and the icon doesn't move. It's frustrating.

Intuitively, I'm thinking that wherever I aim, I should be able to scan. For some reason I feel like i was able to do that on the GameCube.

Hold -

A HUD menu will show, then move the reticule over the Scan Visor icon (upper area of the screen)

Release -

Move the aim over the object you want to scan

Hold Z (or maybe C)

Well, always read the OP. I think I probably stopped at 10$, now I have absolutely no way to play the game with my pad or pro controller. And there it is, large as you please, wiimote and nunchuk only. Dammit. Not really wanting to drive across town to buy those. Would it really have been so hard to have proper controls for at least the two games that were designed to have them?

Verger

Banned
I love how each game has Areas that are there to really emphasize that "Alien" "Isolation" feel in addition to the normal exploration areas. Some of them even become kind of creepy with the music.

Prime 1: The Frigate Orpheon and the Glacier One Research Station

Prime 2: The GFMC Compound and the Ing Hive (aka. hell)

Prime 3: The Elysia Xenoresearch Labs and The Valhalla (creepy dead space like area)

McNum

So what's up with Flaahgra's boss music? That song sounded different than I expected. Also, I may be able to get lost in a straight corridor, but I remember the boss fights quite clearly.
Stun the plant, flip the mirror, bomb the roots, repeat.

So, next up is Magmoor Cavern. I so want the Space Jump already, but they took out the sneaky way of boosting off your ship to get up there, didn't they?

Azure J

I love how each game has Areas that are there to really emphasize that "Alien" "Isolation" feel in addition to the normal exploration areas. Some of them even become kind of creepy with the music.

Prime 3: The Elysia Xenoresearch Labs and The Valhalla (creepy dead space like area)

Adding to your list, I always used to dread trips to Torvus Undertemple in the Dark World in Prime 2. Certain portions of the dark world version of Temple Grounds are completely unsettling as well.

Prime 3's Valhalla was so fucking good though. I kinda wish if the entire game was more like that at times.

Verger

Banned
Adding to your list, I always used to dread trips to Torvus Undertemple in the Dark World in Prime 2. Certain portions of the dark world version of Temple Grounds are completely unsettling as well.

Prime 3's Valhalla was so fucking good though. I kinda wish if the entire game was more like that at times.
Most of Dark Aether is pretty grim and, well, "dark" with lots of unsettling imagery with the Ing's organic matter which looks really messed up with all those worm-like tentacle things intertwining with each other. The Ing Hive of course it the pinnacle of that which takes the already insane level design of the Sanctuary Fortress and puts a severely twisted spin on it (hence, Hell)

But yeah, The Valhalla is one of the highest marks in the series and you really do wish it had been an even larger area to explore. The "recording" you find at the end is "unsettling" to put it mildly.

ChuyMasta

How many play with the helmet opacity all the way down? I just tried it and it completely opens up the view. Can't believe I always played with it on.

Opacity 0%
HUD removed
Gaming bliss.
Theres plenty of audio cues to let you know energy levels, environment hazards and missile supplies

TheMoon

Well, always read the OP. I think I probably stopped at 10$, now I have absolutely no way to play the game with my pad or pro controller. And there it is, large as you please, wiimote and nunchuk only. Dammit. Not really wanting to drive across town to buy those. Would it really have been so hard to have proper controls for at least the two games that were designed to have them?

It does have proper controls. It was very clear that you are buying Wii games as they are. The store pages all clearly mention the required controllers.

Are these running at 720 or 1080p?

Wii games. 480p. Read the OP.

So what's up with Flaahgra's boss music? That song sounded different than I expected.
There was a bug in the original NTSC version of the game that prevented it from looping correctly. The PAL and Japanese versions fixed this, and the version of Metroid Prime in Metroid Prime Trilogy is based on the PAL version, which had even more differences such as slightly different logbook entries.

Travo

I cannot begin to explain how much easier the bounce mechanic makes some parts of the game. Omega Pirate is a cinch.

SirNinja

Finally got a chance to play this after DLing it yesterday. The load times are much-improved, especially in Corruption, but it's evident in the first two as well. So far I haven't had to wait for even one door in the first two games.

Madao

I actually think it was a bug in the music that was fixed apparently: http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Metroid_Prime_version_differences

The Flaaghra battle theme loops correctly in the PAL version. (which was probably put in the Wii version)

that's incorrect actually.

the music in the original release was that short. people who hacked the game extracted the song and what you hear in the original release is all there was in it. no looping glitches.
the extended theme is actually an addition done to the later releases.

I haven't been playing many games lately but I should make time to pull out my Wii, install this game from disc onto a flash drive, and go to town.

Metroid Prime stands out to me as one of the most "next-gen" experiences I've ever had. It still feels otherworldly in many qualities. And that soundtrack. Ugh. So good.

Madao

Lame. The hardware is the same architecture, I can't imagine it would have taken much effort to have them output at 1080p. I mean, shit Nintendo.

they'd have needed to do a complete port for that and that is several times more costly than what they did here.

this release is just a Wii iso with a Wii U shortcut. they didn't have to reprogram almost anything.

Ahnez

Lame. The hardware is the same architecture, I can't imagine it would have taken much effort to have them output at 1080p. I mean, shit Nintendo.

They just have to rewrite the entire graphical engine. Any intern could have done it in their lunch time, right?

TheMoon

You're playing a Wii ISO in Wii Mode. Familiarize yourself with how Wii Mode works and you'll see what you're proposing was never gonna happen.

Polari

they'd have needed to do a complete port for that and that is several times more costly than what they did here.

this release is just a Wii iso with a Wii U shortcut. they didn't have to reprogram almost anything.

Pretty lazy then. You'd think being the same architecture, the existing code would run on Wii U with a minimal amount of effort. These games deserve better.

TheMoon

Pretty lazy then. You'd think being the same architecture and all the existing code would run on Wii U with a minimal amount of effort. These games deserve better.

This is complete nonsense. You have no idea what you're talking about. This is not fairydust and magic wands.

Madao

Pretty lazy then. You'd think being the same architecture and all the existing code would run on Wii U with a minimal amount of effort. These games deserve better.

the console having the same architecture doesn't mean the dev tools are the same or are just an improved version of older ones. for all we know, the Wii U dev kit could be completely different despite the consoles having similar architectures.

Travo

I haven't been playing many games lately but I should make time to pull out my Wii, install this game from disc onto a flash drive, and go to town.

Metroid Prime stands out to me as one of the most "next-gen" experiences I've ever had. It still feels otherworldly in many qualities. And that soundtrack. Ugh. So good.

Your quote kind of reminds me of EGM's original review for Prime 1 where they said it was like someone went into the future and brought this game back to the current day. Still kind of feels that way.

TheMoon

Your quote kind of reminds me of EGM's original review for Prime 1 where they said it was like someone went into the future and brought this game back to the current day. Still kind of feels that way.

Sadly we still haven't reached that future where they make more games like this lol. If only!

Prototype

To this day when I am up at night playing alone sometimes the music combined with the atmospheric noises gets to me a little and I look around the room. Just in case. Haha

tengiants

You should drive across town if that's all it takes. I 100% disagree with the use of the bolded. Once you go wiimote for fps, the only step forward is a mouse+kb.

You'd think being the same architecture, the existing code would run on Wii U with a minimal amount of effort.

No, you wouldn't think that. Because it would be entirely incorrect.

It's weird too because Metroid Prime still feels more next-gen to me than a lot of the PS4 games I'm playing. I could be biased by my years of loving the game - and it was my first Gamecube game - but I really do think there's something about it that stands above.

All three games have heavy connotations with a feeling of "next generation," now that I think about it. I think that's just Retro's fingerprint.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Pretty lazy then. You'd think being the same architecture, the existing code would run on Wii U with a minimal amount of effort. These games deserve better.

[citation needed]

No, seriously. You seem to have in-depth knowledge of the architecture of the Wii, that of the Wii U and how easy it is to port and enhance games from the former to the latter. I'd love to hear how Nintendo could have accomplished what you're saying they can with minimal effort.

You're not the first to complain about this. Not by far. Apart from reading the OP, you should have at least skimmed throught the rest of the thread.

I'll say this again: the first two games were GameCube games. This is Metroid Prime Trilogy, a collection of Wii games. Therefore, Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 on Trilogy have Wii controls, aka "proper controls for Wii games". No one is trying to pull a fast one on you: you get what was being advertised. Wii games, with Wii controls and Wii resolution. MPT did not have support for GameCube controls when it was first released, and this is a 1:1 digital version. If you want to play MP1 and 2 with GameCube controls, you have to play them on GameCube.

Azure J

To this day when I am up at night playing alone sometimes the music combined with the atmospheric noises gets to me a little and I look around the room. Just in case. Haha

One of my favorite fairly recent memories was playing through Valhalla late night with my siblings as a test run for our surround sound system two years back. When we got deep into the ship (the broken elevator overlooking the "red nebula" outside the window) and everything ever starts to make the whole thing rumble slightly, I was just excited as fuck, but more tense than I had ever been replaying the game before then. The sound design in these games is phenomenal.

Is this the worst investment you could make with 10 bucks?

If the answer is no (and it should be no) then go for it.

BUY IT!!

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Logbook_entries_in_Metroid_Prime

The same site has logbook entries for MP2 and 3. So if you like it you can check those out.

Thank you kindly.

qTdYcd4.gif

These games have proper controls, controls that were designed for them. The trilogy had the GameCube controls removed from Prime 1 and 2 and replaced with Wiimote controls. Things like certain beam effects were removed because of the way the new controls work, as outlined in the OP.

I've of course picked it up ($10 for 3 amazing games, how could I not). I gave Prime a quick burst last night.

Wow. These games have aged a LOT more than I expected. I mean, they still play well, and everything in the enjoyment department remains in tact. But somehow in my head the game looked better, like something of the PS2 era perhaps. Sharper at least. Starting it up last night I was reminded the graphics are almost no better than PlayStation 1 plus alpha. At the time Retro pushed the boundaries of the GC and it was indeed an amazing artistic feat. These days though it shows its age. It surprised me. Counting polygons, seeing the texture painted details per pixel, etc. It's rough.

That said...they are still amazing games, and I'm likely to play through them all again. It's just... you know... GC games fall in that gap of bad game aging. Pre-PS1/N64 we have the pretty pixels, anything after is likely to look...weird....

tengiants

I've of course picked it up ($10 for 3 amazing games, how could I not). I gave Prime a quick burst last night.

Wow. These games have aged a LOT more than I expected. I mean, they still play well, and everything in the enjoyment department remains in tact. But somehow in my head the game looked better, like something of the PS2 era perhaps. Sharper at least. Starting it up last night I was reminded the graphics are almost no better than PlayStation 1 plus alpha. At the time Retro pushed the boundaries of the GC and it was indeed an amazing artistic feat. These days though it shows its age. It surprised me. Counting polygons, seeing the texture painted details per pixel, etc. It's rough.

That said...they are still amazing games, and I'm likely to play through them all again. It's just... you know... GC games fall in that gap of bad game aging. Pre-PS1/N64 we have the pretty pixels, anything after is likely to look...weird....

So what you're saying is you've never used a PS2?

The fuck

I consider the graphics to hold up really well. 60 fps doesn't hurt obviously. It's definitely not a terrible looking game at all. If it had been 1080p it would have been really good, but even at 480p it still looks pretty good, imo. It's certainly not a distraction for me. The design still is and always will be amazing.

Comparing it to a PS1 game... I mean, come on.

Miker

Okay okay, retracted.
But I stand by my claim that visually it has aged a lot more than I'm comfortable with.
I had similar issues with Mario Galaxy 2 on VC. The 480, it's just... it...ugh... it's hard.

That doesn't really mean the visuals aged. The visuals are still amazing, but they're still very much bound by the Gamecube/Wii's resolution, as is everything from those eras.

JC Lately

Also, reading the section of the eshop page where it lists the required controllers would have been a good idea.

Top Bottom