• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Do you know about the quick missile trick in Prime 1? Alternate "Missile" and "A (close cannon)" to fire them off back to back. Makes most enemies in the game a breeze.
It's not that the combat is hard, it's just that it's uninteresting. I want the non-wild life enemies (especially the Space Pirates) to act more methodical and intelligent. Like I said the other day, I want them to be more like the Elites from Halo. I love the cat and mouse dynamics of fighting the Elites on harder difficulties. The Space Pirates' behavior is so erratic and seemingly random. I feel like I'm fighting a spazzy, malfunctioning robot or something. I also find the combat uninteresting because it's almost always the same: fire off a few charged shots or missiles. I'm not sure how I want that to change. I think I want more weapon variety -- how that would work, I'm not sure. Maybe Metroid could copy Halo's two weapon system, letting Samus absorb different abilities / properties for her arm cannon from enemies, but only two at a time. Imagine a shotgun beam or a rocket launcher beam. Each weapon could pull from the same ammo source but deplete different amounts. I dunno, just thinking out loud here.

I've only really played Prime 1, so maybe I'll like the combat more in 2 and 3. And hell yeah, I'm with you on the mobility. It all feels really natural and fluid, especially after the space jump is acquired.

I'd put some Zelda dungeons up there in terms of level design. Dark Souls is impressive in how the world is connected, but it's not nearly as complex. Other than that, I can't think of anything that comes close.

That's kind of how I feel with Dark Souls vs Demon's Souls. I think Dark has better level design on the macro scale (interconnection) while Demon's has it better on the micro scale (individual level designs). I would probably say the same for Prime 1 (macro) vs Echoes (micro), though neither Prime 1 nor Dark Souls are slouches in the micro department.

I'm trying to think of the biggest and most complex Zelda dungeon...maybe City in the Sky or Stone Tower? Regardless, while they're incredibly well designed, I don't think they have quite the scope and size of Sanctuary Fortress (which I suppose makes its consistent design even more impressive).

I'll need to think about it some more.

I've only really played Prime 1, so maybe I'll like the combat more in 2 and 3. And hell yeah, I'm with you on the mobility. It all feels really natural and fluid, especially after the space jump is acquired.

Fair enough. I suppose I don't pay much mind to it since enemies generally go down so quick. That said, I'm really curious to see what you think about Echoes and Corruption :)

LGom09

That's kind of how I feel with Dark Souls vs Demon's Souls. I think Dark has better level design on the macro scale (interconnection) while Demon's has it better on the micro scale (individual level designs). I would probably say the same for Prime 1 (macro) vs Echoes (micro), though neither Prime 1 nor Dark Souls are slouches in the micro department.

I'm trying to think of the biggest and most complex Zelda dungeon...maybe City in the Sky or Stone Tower? Regardless, while they're incredibly well designed, I don't think they have quite the scope and size of Sanctuary Fortress (which I suppose makes its consistent design even more impressive).

I'll need to think about it some more.

I was thinking of City in the Sky and Sandship. They both did cool things with positioning yourself in a 3D space:
shooting the timeshift stone through the windows
in Sandship and
using the double hookshot to lower yourself through a hole in the ground to a lower floor in order to be high enough to reach a hookshot spot on that floor's ceiling
in City in the Sky.

Number45

Thinking of picking up a WiiU for this (and a few other things). Don't suppose I can buy the game without a WiiU in the meantime?

True story: I picked up the trilogy for Wii from eBay for about £40 used. It arrived and I didn't (don't ask me why, it's not like me at all) look in the box. When I came back to it months later to actually play the game. No disc. >_<

Gambit

So I am playing Corruption and enjoying it. But I am already pretty certain it will be my least favourite of the trilogy.

The computer telling me what to do is really annoying. I feel like I am not exploring, only carrying out missions. Furthermore, I don't think the abilitiy to use the ship for quick travel between different sections adds anything to the game. In fact, it detracts from it, because instead of being on a giant planet, I feel I am visiting relatively small individual sections.

For reference, I am almost finished with Bryyo.

Anyway, the core gameplay is still good and I will definitely stick with the game, but it does feel watered down considerably.

Started playing these gems this morning. Back in the days I've imported Metroid Prime from the US to the Netherlands. Used a freeloader to play this.

Guess I'm doing something wrong but where the hell is the awesome original menu from MP and opening music? Now the game starts immediately, and there even seems to be a voice over....I don't remember that being in the original game.

squadr0n

Really wish they had controller support. I know I know, it's designed for the Wiimote. But personally I'm done with the Wiimote and totally was about to buy until I saw the warning on screen. Loved the first two on GameCube.

Robin64

Yeah, they're smooooth as silk. Amazing really.

I've only ever seen one teeny tiny section in the first Prime dip under.

i0P0rVPDDp7t4.gif

Whilst facing Hive Mecha, I fell into the water and died. Have to start from the beginning again. I don't think I can continue with MP1 due to the lack of save points. I can see myself dying many more times, and having to tediously retread through levels.

How are MP2, MP3 with save points?

Huh? A few rooms before it the game specifically says "SAVE ROOM DETECTED" and updates your map.

It's not that the combat is hard, it's just that it's uninteresting. I want the non-wild life enemies (especially the Space Pirates) to act more methodical and intelligent. Like I said the other day, I want them to be more like the Elites from Halo. I love the cat and mouse dynamics of fighting the Elites on harder difficulties. The Space Pirates' behavior is so erratic and seemingly random. I feel like I'm fighting a spazzy, malfunctioning robot or something. I also find the combat uninteresting because it's almost always the same: fire off a few charged shots or missiles. I'm not sure how I want that to change. I think I want more weapon variety -- how that would work, I'm not sure. Maybe Metroid could copy Halo's two weapon system, letting Samus absorb different abilities / properties for her arm cannon from enemies, but only two at a time. Imagine a shotgun beam or a rocket launcher beam. Each weapon could pull from the same ammo source but deplete different amounts. I dunno, just thinking out loud here.

MP3 might be the game for you. It has a stronger focus on action than the other two, and if I recall correctly, the humanoid enemies act more like they have a brain. The beam thing is worse, though, as the beams stack instead of being able to change them.

Arkanius

I don't know if it's due the fact that I left Prime 2 for last but I feel this is the apex of the Metroid Prime 2 design.

Metroid Prime 1 was groundbreaking but it was Super Metroid in 3D.
Metroid Prime 3 had a different world design with seperate planets and the ship, I loved the game and design but it wasn't as good as Metroid Prime 1

But Prime 2... man... Feels like the Majora's Mask of Metroid Prime.
I feel the Dark sections to be wonderfuly done, you really feel you are in a place that is trying to kill you. It truly feels ALIEN

And the map design is complex as heck. Yesterday I was lost in the Bog section, I had to resort to a guide after getting the Water Movement boost.

Mithos

Gold Member
WOW!!

You can not buy a game on eShop unless you actually have the space free to download it asap :O

Or am I missing so hidden setting to allow me too buy and not download?

Metroid has never had great combat. It's always been secondary to everything else and isn't meant to be deep. This isn't meant to be a standard FPS, so no, they really shouldn't copy anything from Halo. It's just the way these games are and if you don't like the things they focus on, then perhaps it's not really for you. No game can be enjoyed by everyone.

ChaosXVI

Although I just replayed the Trilogy last year, I really must say that I can't at all understand how in the hell a game as intricate and deep as Echoes was created from start to finish in only 2 years. Just 2 freaking years between Prime 1 and Prime 2's release dates...

God I love these games so much, and am so happy to see so many others enjoy them for the first time or rediscover what made them so great so many years ago.

ChaosXVI

I must confess I've never played Echoes. I restarted Prime but this will be my next game.

It's an old-school sort of sequel in that it basically assumes you played and beat the first game, thus it basically throws everything from the first game back at you but with intense difficulty and a bleaker atmosphere.

It's also the most interesting one of the trilogy to replay, because unlike the other 2 in the series, it doesn't become a cakewalk. Even on the 4th playthrough you can still die fairly often.

Canti

I brought the original Prime on release but only got a few hours in and gave up after getting lost. For some reason I also brought Prime 2 on release, telling myself I'd get around to it after finally KO-ing the first. That never happened, so by the time Prime 3 came out I didn't even touch it. For some reason I also brought Other M and never played that either!

However, I love the 2D Metroids so thought I'd give this another shot. Downloaded Trilogy last week and I just got the gravity suit. It's finally starting to click with me, but damn I wish you could fast travel between save points. Knowing where to go only to have to slog through 20 minutes of environments you've been through 5 times already becomes a bit of a chore. I guess I've been spoilt by modern game design.

Arkanius

I brought the original Prime on release but only got a few hours in and gave up after getting lost. For some reason I also brought Prime 2 on release, telling myself I'd get around to it after finally KO-ing the first. That never happened, so by the time Prime 3 came out I didn't even touch it. For some reason I also brought Other M and never played that either!

However, I love the 2D Metroids so thought I'd give this another shot. Downloaded Trilogy last week and I just got the gravity suit. It's finally starting to click with me, but damn I wish you could fast travel between save points. Knowing where to go only to have to slog through 20 minutes of environments you've been through 5 times already becomes a bit of a chore. I guess I've been spoilt by modern game design.

D:
I always feel that the backtracking you do in Metroid games reveal that there are some neat new tricks in old areas due you having new abilities. I always find it fun.

That and destroying old enemies with new powerups.

Robin64

Yeah, I often actively take a longer route just to see if I spot any new places that can be bombed or whatever with new items I have.

Tadale

Considering that I haven't finished the game in more than ten years, I'm really surprised by how many specific details I remember from the first Metroid Prime - I'm probably about halfway through with the mines now and I remember most rooms that I've seen. The game has really stuck with me over the years.

Sporad

Neo Member
Considering that I haven't finished the game in more than ten years, I'm really surprised by how many specific details I remember from the first Metroid Prime - I'm probably about halfway through with the mines now and I remember most rooms that I've seen. The game has really stuck with me over the years.

I've found the same thing, haven't played MP1 for over 10 years and started it yesterday, and several times I would be walking along thinking "yep, save room coming up". Sure enough, it was off the next room I came to.

Same thing with music, completely etched on my brain. Scary really, but such a credit to the way Retro created a perfect cohesive world and atmosphere

Formless

Probably gonna dabble in MP1 before moving onto Echoes. I either beat or got to the last "part" of MP1 (don't remember honestly) and beat 3, but only got like 40 min into Echoes.

Arkanius

I want to play this on Dolphin...

I'd have to buy the disc version then RIP it, right?

I don't think you can get the ISO from the digital version because the disk is encrypted
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Ask for a friend that has the original gamecube games and use the widescreen AR codes. Flawless experience if you want to play with a controller and not the Wiimote.

One cool experience that I must try someday (if I get the Wii versions) is to emulate the wiipointer to a mouse in Dolphin, but I don't think it will be a good experience since the mouse will move the pointer and not the camera.

TheMoon

I just bought the trilogy and I've never played any of the games. Too early for impressions, but just had to say, "Fuck the Wii remote."

Worst input method of all time. Reminds me of Skyward Sword rage again... what if I want to lie down? :/.

If you want to lie down then you lie down. You're doing it wrong if you can't figure out the best controller for these games.

How? I thought you had to have both arms fully extended while standing for motion controls to work.
:p

And you have to dive around behind your couch to avoid enemy fire!!!

Thinking of picking up a WiiU for this (and a few other things). Don't suppose I can buy the game without a WiiU in the meantime?

True story: I picked up the trilogy for Wii from eBay for about £40 used. It arrived and I didn't (don't ask me why, it's not like me at all) look in the box. When I came back to it months later to actually play the game. No disc. >_<

Since you're in Europe, no.

In Texas they're all about dem 60 frames ;)

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
This game is as fantastic as it always has been, I yearn for a new Prime or Metroid from Retro. I do hate the Wiiremote aiming, yes its more precise and intuitive but I am a lazy asshole :p

Top Bottom