• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
A new first person Metroid from Retro would be amazing. Would be great if they could build something that takes the best of all three games and wraps it all into one package. Prime 1's cohesiveness and complete lack of dialogue, just Samus exploring a planet. Prime 2's labyrinthine environments and incredible bosses. Prime 3's diverse lore and unique locales.

A new DKC would also be nice, with David Wise being a mandatory inclusion. Or really anything. Everything Retro has developed has been great (or better).

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Metroid has never had great combat. It's always been secondary to everything else and isn't meant to be deep. This isn't meant to be a standard FPS, so no, they really shouldn't copy anything from Halo. It's just the way these games are and if you don't like the things they focus on, then perhaps it's not really for you. No game can be enjoyed by everyone.
I know combat isn't the focus of Metroid. I'm a huge fan of the series, and I primarily love it for the exploration, sense of adventure, and creepy, isolated sci-fi aesthetic. But the combat may as well be fun, yeah? It would only add to the game.

Mithos

Gold Member
Boo. Oh well, I can wait then.

AND like I was made aware today, you can not even buy it with a Wii U unless you have the storage space to download it.
€10 sitting on eShop now that I can not use, because I'm not allowed to buy MPT unless I have 8GB free storage space first, I don't -> Wii U Basic, and no 16GB or bigger USB flash/hdd available either at the moment.

Getting through Prime 1, most recent upgrade I found was the upgrade for the wave beam, before that it was the spider ball upgrade. Do I find chozo artifacts through progressing through the story, or do I need to do some searching for them? Are they hard to find, and what is the benefit for finding them? Thanks! Loving the game btw.

Verger

Banned
Getting through Prime 1, most recent upgrade I found was the upgrade for the wave beam, before that it was the spider ball upgrade. Do I find chozo artifacts through progressing through the story, or do I need to do some searching for them? Are they hard to find, and what is the benefit for finding them? Thanks! Loving the game btw.
You will have to search for them once you gain all your abilities (some you can find along the way).

The way to search for them is if you need help you return to the Artifact Temple and enter the center of the monuments and they will activate and you can scan them to get hints on their location (the names of the rooms are bolded in red).

You will need all 12 artifacts to enter the final area.

You will have to search for them once you gain all your abilities (some you can find along the way).

The way to search for them is if you need help you return to the Artifact Temple and enter the center of the monuments and they will activate and you can scan them to get hints on their location (the names of the rooms are bolded in red).

You will need all 12 artifacts to enter the final area.

Cool, thanks. Any estimate of how far through the game I am now percent wise?

Some artifacts you will stumble upon when you advance the story, but most are usually obtained after you get all the upgrades, by backtracking to areas you could not access previously due to lack of some upgrade.

Alternatively, as soon as you get some upgrade, you can try backtracking to areas where you remember it might be useful. But I've always found it easier to just look after I get everything.

I'm so excited to dig into these games. The only Metroid Prime game I played was the third, and I never finished it. I can't wait to go through the whole trilogy. This whole sale has been awesome.

Tadale

A new first person Metroid from Retro would be amazing. Would be great if they could build something that takes the best of all three games and wraps it all into one package. Prime 1's cohesiveness and complete lack of dialogue, just Samus exploring a planet. Prime 2's labyrinthine environments and incredible bosses. Prime 3's diverse lore and unique locales.

A new DKC would also be nice, with David Wise being a mandatory inclusion. Or really anything. Everything Retro has developed has been great (or better).

I've been pretty down on the idea of a new Prime for the past few years - I would have prefered something new from Metroid. But after spending some time with Prime 1 again, it would be really, really great to play something similar. Prime 3 was 7.5 years ago at this point.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The Metroid thirst is real.
I want a new 3D entry so bad now. I've already said this, but if they could translate the kinda comic book-ish art style of Zero Mission into 3D for the next entry I would be so stoked. I'll take whatever I can get, tho.

Grief.exe

Fixed my issue with the black bar along the bottom of the screen.
How did you do it ?

I posted it in the Dolphin thread, basically you have to turn off dual core usage and then turn on sync GPU.

Apparently, when the GPU gets out of sync due to large shader caches it will cause the image to squish and render the black bar. The fix is detrimental to performance, but preserves the image quality.

I don't know if it's due the fact that I left Prime 2 for last but I feel this is the apex of the Metroid Prime 2 design.

Metroid Prime 1 was groundbreaking but it was Super Metroid in 3D.
Metroid Prime 3 had a different world design with seperate planets and the ship, I loved the game and design but it wasn't as good as Metroid Prime 1

But Prime 2... man... Feels like the Majora's Mask of Metroid Prime.
I feel the Dark sections to be wonderfuly done, you really feel you are in a place that is trying to kill you. It truly feels ALIEN

And the map design is complex as heck. Yesterday I was lost in the Bog section, I had to resort to a guide after getting the Water Movement boost.

I've only played Metroid Prime 1, looks like I am in for a treat with Prime 2.

Man, Echoes is really the Lost Levels of the Primes.
I die pretty often nowadays. which is funny because I finished it rather easily a couple of years ago.
damn

SonicBoom

How do you guys feel on the resolution of this game on Wii U only being 480P?

How are the controls since we can only use the nun chuck controller? will the be future wii u pro controller update?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've only played Metroid Prime 1, looks like I am in for a treat with Prime 2.

Prime 2 is a divisive game, and understandably so. I didn't really like it when it first came out, to the point I didn't even finish it, but my opinion has increased with subsequent replays to the point it's my favorite of the trilogy.

How are the controls since we can only use the nun chuck controller? will the be future wii u pro controller update?

It's just a shortcut to Wii mode basically, they can't/won't offer any improvements over the Wii version.

Most people find the Wii controls better than the GC controls, though you might need to tinker with the options to get them just to your liking.

Joey Ravn

Banned

All of these topics have been discussed at length in this thread, and in the thread devoted to the digital re-release of Wii games on Wii U. I suggest you read through them.

But long story short:

1. It's a Wii game. Not a remaster, not a remake. A re-release of a Wii game, in digital form.

2. Better for some people, worse for some, but they are perfectly fine overall. You may prefer GameCube controls, but the Wiimote combo is perfectly functional.

3. No. No Wii U Pro controller support. The reasons have been discussed in this thread already.

TheMoon

The games still look as beautiful as ever.

There will never be a pro controller update because Prime 3 would need to be redesigned extensively. Just let it the fuck go and accept the superior controls of Wiimote+Nunchuk.

Cyd0nia

Banned
The games still look as beautiful as ever.

There will never be a pro controller update because Prime 3 would need to be redesigned extensively. Just let it the fuck go and accept the superior controls of Wiimote+Nunchuk.

I seriously love being able to target a door from a huge distance while engaging in a simultaneous jump and turn. I love being able to target one enemy, and pop a few shots off at another if he comes within range - where previously I would have had to switch targets. It just feels like I'm a more efficient killing machine without actually making the game noticably easier. MP3 felt particularly refined with these controls, but I remember being surprised the very first time I played MPT - how well they fitted the other two games.

Prime 2 is a divisive game, and understandably so. I didn't really like it when it first came out, to the point I didn't even finish it, but my opinion has increased with subsequent replays to the point it's my favorite of the trilogy.

IMO, how much someone enjoys Echoes is hugely dependent on how much they enjoy the Dark World mechanic. While I still like Echoes a lot, this mechanic made it my least favorite of the three Prime games.

Started playing these gems this morning. Back in the days I've imported Metroid Prime from the US to the Netherlands. Used a freeloader to play this.

Guess I'm doing something wrong but where the hell is the awesome original menu from MP and opening music? Now the game starts immediately, and there even seems to be a voice over....I don't remember that being in the original game.

So sorry to quote myself, but is there any way to get this menu on Trilogy?

http://youtu.be/WLLE_PvJ5mY

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
What I would to experience one day a game as good as Prime- same quantum leap in terms of exploration/ambiance- in VR...

Chuckpebble

You could've been playing this on a Wii for six years :)

Well, technically, there was a small window when it was available for a reasonable price during those 6 years. I feel a bit of schadenfreude for the gamestops sitting on $80 used copies of this. Though I guess the tin is still a bit of a collectible.

wrowa

This is the first time that I'm playing the Trilogy version of the games and there's one thing that shouldn't be important, but is annoying me greatly: The game's menu. The Prime games - Prime 1 in particular - had incredibly well-made title screens oozing with atmosphere, but the title screen of the Prime Trilogy has the appeal of a 50-in-1 cartridge for the Game Boy.

I'm not particularly fond of the Wiimote controls in Prime 1 yet either, but maybe I'm still just getting used to it.

TheMoon

I'm not particularly fond of the Wiimote controls in Prime 1 yet either, but maybe I'm still just getting used to it.

Turn lock-on/free aim off. Plays more like GCN version that way (snap directly to a target with lock on AND reticle).

Rich!

Turn lock-on/free aim off. Plays more like GCN version that way (snap directly to a target with lock on AND reticle).

Then you might as well play the GC version via Nintendont in widescreen. Wiimote controls on the game are fairly terrible imo unless they are set to the highest sensitivity/advanced mode, and then they are fantastic.

I want a new 3D entry so bad now. I've already said this, but if they could translate the kinda comic book-ish art style of Zero Mission into 3D for the next entry I would be so stoked. I'll take whatever I can get, tho.

I hope to see something at this year's E3 but it may be too early :(

Rich!

I personally would prefer both a new 2D and a 3D entry. they managed with fusion and prime, why not again?

Give Metroid 3DS to a decent dev like Next Level Games or Nintendo SPD and have Retro work on the console Metroid.

Hell, I would even support a 3D Metroid that plays like prime thats developed for the N3DS, and a gloriously beautiful HD 2D Metroid on the Wii U. That'd be awesome.

Toxi

Banned
Seriously, Pirate Data in MP1 is really amusing.
The Pirate data in Metroid Prime 2 is the funniest though, since they're basically everyone's bitch on Aether.

"Surely we are cursed."

Also, a lot of people don't realize this, but the Luminoth are badass.

"Let this be the final testament of warrior C-Rch. I have no more shells for my weapons. For the enemy, I have naught but the blade and fist. Let them come. They wait in the works, hissing and slithering like beasts. Let them. When my war cry comes, there will be a dread, final reckoning. Come forth, hated enemy. Let there be an end!"

Rather different from Prime's hippie Chozo.

Prototype

The Pirate data in Metroid Prime 2 is the funniest though, since they're basically everyone's bitch on Aether.

"Surely we are cursed."

"Let this be the final testament of warrior C-Rch. I have no more shells for my weapons. For the enemy, I have naught but the blade and fist. Let them come. They wait in the works, hissing and slithering like beasts. Let them. When my war cry comes, there will be a dread, final reckoning. Come forth, hated enemy. Let there be an end!"

It's the little things like this in the lore that drives home the differences in the worlds you are on and helps to create a unique immersion in each of the prime games.

Verger

Banned
Retro's Alien Lore definitely got better as the series went on. In Prime 1 you had the Pirate Lore which was ace but the Chozo Lore was kind of flat in some ways.

Then in Prime 2 they made the Pirate Lore more funny and the Luminoth Lore was badass.

And in Prime 3 you had the meta-philosophical society civil war Lore of the Reptilicus, and the doomsday lore of the Elysians.

K' Dash

"Surely we are cursed."

There were Chozo warriors before they became a Peaceful Illuminated race, and they looked badass too.

latest

Ahnez

"Surely we are cursed."

Just to add A-Kul description:

"Soon I shall pass to final rest. My key is in place. Through my spiritual link to the others, I know where their bodies lie. I shall leave this knowledge, that their last location in the dark world can be known. May this knowledge lead our warriors to the Sky Temple Keys.
The time draws near. Hear the words of A-Kul, she they call Champion of Aether. Know that my warriors fought and died with uncommon valor. Do not look unkindly upon their failure, for they died to save us all."

She is the only Keybearer to complete her mission, to find and recover the Sky Temple keys. Thats why you just search for 9 of the 10 keys.

Also, its implied that the Dark Visor, the Dark Suit and the Annihilator Beam were hers

Risgroo

This thread is making me want to replay the trilogy so bad! I left my Wii U at my parents' house, so I won't be able to get the discount. I'll probably buy it next time I get there anyway, just to support the series(already have the boxed version).

I actually never finished Prime 2 :(

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Wiimote controls on the game are fairly terrible imo unless they are set to the highest sensitivity/advanced mode, and then they are fantastic.
I wanna give a +1 to this. I had tried playing MP3 twice and gave up because I hated the pointer controls so much, but I've been playing MP1 on the highest sensitivity and it's REALLY grown on me. It feels pretty natural and fluid now. I still want the next game to have normal dual analogue controls though (mostly so I can play it on the Gamepad in bed, haha).

Metroid handling protocol:
Metroids are not pets.
Metroids are not for target practice.
Finally, unauthorized feeding of the Metroids is still strictly prohibited.

G.ZZZ

Lore was one of the best thing of the Prime games. One of the few games that didn't treat you like an idiot, it surprised me that a game with such a refined love for details came for an american dev at the time.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Lore was one of the best thing of the Prime games. One of the few games that didn't treat you like an idiot, it surprised me that a game with such a refined love for details came for an american dev at the time.
That stuff was pretty standard on PC at the time, but yeah, it was pretty exceptional for consoles.

Top Bottom