• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

Azure J

The Pirate data in Metroid Prime 2 is the funniest though, since they're basically everyone's bitch on Aether.

"Surely we are cursed."

Also, a lot of people don't realize this, but the Luminoth are badass.

"Let this be the final testament of warrior C-Rch. I have no more shells for my weapons. For the enemy, I have naught but the blade and fist. Let them come. They wait in the works, hissing and slithering like beasts. Let them. When my war cry comes, there will be a dread, final reckoning. Come forth, hated enemy. Let there be an end!"

Rather different from Prime's hippie Chozo.

Playable U-Mos for Smash 5.

Seriously though, the design of the Luminoth race and the lore push them over the top. It sucks so fucking much that they're just one-offs now.

Toxi

Banned
Playable U-Mos for Smash 5.

Seriously though, the design of the Luminoth race and the lore push them over the top. It sucks so fucking much that they're just one-offs now.
I think it's a good thing they Luminoth and Ing are one-offs. While I love Prime 2, the universe is big and varied and we should see new things, not the same old faces. Part of the charm of the Prime trilogy is that it felt like we were actually exploring new territory.

Lunar15

I feel like expanding the Metroid Universe should have been cheesy, but Retro really pulled it off.

In fact, I'd say that their stuff on Chozo has become the de-facto standard on how I view the chozo race. When you think about how little had actually been written about Chozo, the Federation, and the Space Pirates as whole, Retro actually did wonders while never managing to feel too cheesy or hamfisted. The only time where it did feel kind of forced was with the Aurora Units, but I get what they were going for.

Azure J

I can respect that.

Just to add A-Kul description:

"Soon I shall pass to final rest. My key is in place. Through my spiritual link to the others, I know where their bodies lie. I shall leave this knowledge, that their last location in the dark world can be known. May this knowledge lead our warriors to the Sky Temple Keys.
The time draws near. Hear the words of A-Kul, she they call Champion of Aether. Know that my warriors fought and died with uncommon valor. Do not look unkindly upon their failure, for they died to save us all."

She is the only Keybearer to complete her mission, to find and recover the Sky Temple keys. Thats why you just search for 9 of the 10 keys.

Also, its implied that the Dark Visor, the Dark Suit and the Annihilator Beam were hers

Implied? It's pretty much outright confirmed due to the fact that A-Kul was blind (+100 to the badass stat). Her entire set of gear was made with that in mind (Echo Visor, Dark Suit (because they hadn't finished the idea for a suit of Aether's light yet) & Annihilator Beam.

Edit: Wait, I think I'm confusing my keybearers here but I do remember a bit of lore about a blind Luminoth doing work against the Ing. Same with a child soldier that apparently had a long campaign before dying in Dark Aether.

Metroid handling protocol:
Metroids are not pets.
Metroids are not for target practice.
Finally, unauthorized feeding of the Metroids is still strictly prohibited.

This and the one about the Metroid having indigestion because someone fed it dog treats kills me every time I get to the pirate base on Agon. :lol

TheMoon

I feel like expanding the Metroid Universe should have been cheesy, but Retro really pulled it off.

Treehouse deserves its share of the credit, too. With Nate Bihldorff writing a majority of Prime 1 himself.

ShineSparks: How much of the lore and script writing in the Prime trilogy was done by you, and how much was done by Retro?

Nate Bihldorff: The first Metroid Prime was mostly me, with some Retro additions late—at that time, Retro didn’t really have any full time writers, so they’d send me a rough skeleton of what they wanted and I’d just go to town. I’d get emails like, “Give a scan hint about a cracked wall here” or “Make a lore entry about the Chozo ghosts,” and then I’d have to extrapolate that into encyclopedic entries. It was incredibly fun, since I got to go hog wild with descriptive fiction, and the world was so masterfully built that I almost felt like a naturalist on Tallon at times. They expanded their staff with some great writers by the second and third games, so those ones were all Retro.

Verger

Banned
Treehouse deserves its share of the credit, too. With Nate Bhildorff writing a majority of Prime 1 himself.
All this makes it doubly sad with just how much of a regression Other M was in this area. Sakamoto couldn't come up with even a fraction of the brilliance Retro and the writers put into the Prime series.

Hell, playing Prime again has reminded me how much of a regression Other M was in the whole package. From gameplay to story to presentation. All of it so inferior to Prime.

Gravidee

All this makes it doubly sad with just how much of a regression Other M was in this area. Sakamoto couldn't come up with even a fraction of the brilliance Retro and the writers put into the Prime series.

Hell, playing Prime again has reminded me how much of a regression Other M was in the whole package. From gameplay to story to presentation. All of it so inferior to Prime.

I feel a big part of that diminishment was a regression back to the old art style. I think console Metroid games ought to look more like the Prime stuff while handheld Metroid can adopt the Other M style or what have you.

wrowa

Turn lock-on/free aim off. Plays more like GCN version that way (snap directly to a target with lock on AND reticle).

Thanks, it actually does feel much better to me that way. I can still move the pointer around feely most of the time, but I don't accidentally miss the enemies anymore when using lock on. :)

Gambit

Thanks, it actually does feel much better to me that way. I can still move the pointer around feely most of the time, but I don't accidentally miss the enemies anymore when using lock on. :)

I am even playing Corruption that way. It's the best of both worlds!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Ugh stupid file size is too big, can't download :(

Donkey Kong TP and Pikmin with a few smaller games and boom, only 4gig left what a bummer.

Trey

Watched Haloid due to nostalgia brought on by unfortunate events, and it made me want to get more into the Metroid franchise. I had Prime way back in the day on the GC and it was easily one of the best games I'd ever played. A replay has been a long time coming but I've been putting it off due to aged IQ and the Wiimote controls. Nostalgia might be enough to carry me through Prime, but the rest of the trilogy I'm not so sure.

At any rate, I'm diving into this collection head first when I get home.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I feel a big part of that diminishment was a regression back to the old art style. I think console Metroid games ought to look more like the Prime stuff while handheld Metroid can adopt the Other M style or what have you.
The Prime aesthetic is great, but I think it's gotten stale. I want something that pops a little more. I feel like the art in the Prime series did for Metroid what Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask did for Zelda: provide a very safe, predictable translation of the 2D games to 3D. Now I want them to get more adventurous, like Zelda did with Wind Waker and Skyward Sword (and Twilight Princess to some degree). Again: the Prime games are beautiful and definitely creative, but I want them to think outside of that box bow.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Asked a few days ago, is there a video showing all the missing stuff from the original GCN games?
Too bad about the amazing menus (dat MP's main menu theme...) but I'm specifically referring to the missing frozen effect on Samus's handcannon, "messed up" water, etc.

TheMoon

As others have said, turn it back on for Corruption since it was designed with that in mind, unlike the first two.

Rich!

Asked a few days ago, is there a video showing all the missing stuff from the original GCN games?
Too bad about the amazing menus (dat MP's main menu theme...) but I'm specifically referring to the missing frozen effect on Samus's handcannon, "messed up" water, etc.

Well, any special beam effects are gone as they were 2D prerendered effects that relied on the MP1 and 2 cannon being static. Obviously once ported to the MP3 control engine none of them worked anymore.

Anyhow, here's the best resource for any changes between the versions:

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Metroid_Prime_Trilogy

Toxi

Banned
Compare how Metroid Prime 3 handles a metal corridor on a Federation space ship to how Other M handles one.

MP3_Squish.jpg

metroidotherm130v7ep.jpg

The level of detail is just staggeringly different. Retro's artists knew that people would be looking closely at things in first-person, and so they put a ton of work into every random wall texture and decoration to make their levels interesting to look at. Look at the Prime concept art, and you'll see pages dedicated to the unique little details like pipes and cracks you find on every wall. Most players probably didn't even notice this effort, yet it paid off in making Tallon IV a rich and beautiful setting where all the rooms have their own personalities.

TheMoon

I'm sure you could have done the same thing I had to do just now to give you the link and google "prime trilogy original differences" which results in the first hit being: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-MldXzMsNQ and text rundowns: http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Metroid_Prime_Trilogy#Additions_and_changes http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Metroid_Prime_version_differences and this video showing how the opening movie of Prime 1 is cropped in the Trilogy version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niAvc2YKEUc

Madao

Compare how Metroid Prime 3 handles a metal corridor on a Federation space ship to how Other M handles one.

The level of detail is just staggeringly different. Retro's artists knew that people would be looking closely at things in first-person, and so they put a ton of work into every random wall texture and decoration to make their levels interesting to look at. Look at the Prime concept art, and you'll see pages dedicated to the unique little details like pipes and cracks you find on every wall. Most players probably didn't even notice this effort, yet it paid off in making Tallon IV a rich and beautiful setting.

it kind of sucks we can't even see most of that detail thanks to 480p.

The Prime aesthetic is great, but I think it's gotten stale. I want something that pops a little more. I feel like the art in the Prime series did for Metroid what Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask did for Zelda: provide a very safe, predictable translation of the 2D games to 3D. Now I want them to get more adventurous, like Zelda did with Wind Waker and Skyward Sword (and Twilight Princess to some degree). Again: the Prime games are beautiful and definitely creative, but I want them to think outside of that box bow.

The Prime games have far, far better art direction than any Zelda game.

Verger

Banned
Disagreed, the Prime aesthetic hasn't been used much outside of the Trilogy and the detail and creativity presented in the three games is still leagues ahead of most other content out there. And Other M has already given us an inferior aesthetic.

Madao

Disagreed, the Prime aesthetic hasn't been used much outside of the Trilogy and the detail and creativity presented in the three games is still leagues ahead of most other content out there. And Other M has already given us an inferior aesthetic.

one thing that many probably haven't considered yet is:

what if the rumored 3DS and Wii U games end up using Other M's aesthetics?

Nintendo seems to set a specific aesthetic as the standard of their series in the last decade and it doesn't seem they change up styles as in past decades. notice how Mario games have the same type of aesthetic nowadays compared to the N64 and SNES days where they varied a lot (the main ones at least. the spinoffs are still diverse) or Zelda games where they try to adhere to certain styles for the games.

if we get OM aesthetics, it's not going to be pretty at the least.

Toxi

Banned

Nintendo seems to set a specific aesthetic as the standard of their series in the last decade and it doesn't seem they change up styles as in past decades. notice how Mario games have the same type of aesthetic nowadays compared to the N64 and SNES days where they varied a lot (the main ones at least. the spinoffs are still diverse) or Zelda games where they try to adhere to certain styles for the games.

I don't see that. Yoshi's Wooley World has a completely different art style from Yoshi's New Island. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse has a completely different art style from Kirby Triple Deluxe. Zelda console games are constantly inventing new looks for the series.

Mario's the only series where I see a more constant art style. Hell, even Mario has some variance with Mario and Luigi and Paper Mario.

Ahnez

After that backfire, I doubt Nintendo will use OM aesthetics.

IIRC, when talking about the 2D and 3D metroids, they said something like "Traditional style" (2D), and "Prime style" (3D). :p

If Retro is making the game, I think it's a safe bet that they'll do it in their own style and it will look phenomenal, artistically at least.

rekameohs

Banned

IIRC, when talking about the 2D and 3D metroids, they said something like "Traditional style" (2D), and "Prime style" (3D). :p

Yeah, in that recent Metroid interview where they talked about the future of the series, Other M seemed to be entirely thrown under the rug.

wrowa

Smash Bros. is using Other M's Samus design, so I wouldn't say that they've abandoned those aesthetics. However, if Retro is making a new Metroid then the art will be great and detailed no matter which art style they use, since that's just the way Retro is making their games.

Verger

Banned
If Retro is making the game, I think it's a safe bet that they'll do it in their own style and it will look phenomenal, artistically at least.
Indeed. Donkey Kong Returns and especially Tropical Freeze has shown that Retro is more than capable of working within any aesthetic and making sure to craft as much detail into the environments as they can.

Tropical Freeze's environments are just filled to the brim with so many subtle details and animations its crazy. I mean, Grassland Groove has so much going on in it.

TheMoon

There are no rumored 3DS and Wii U games. There are just comments from Shinya Takahashi and Miyamoto that say they have plans for 2D and 3D Metroid's future. That is it. There are zero rumors.

I'm bummed out. I abandoned Prime 2 partway in because I was just over it at the time and now I wanna get back into it but have 0 idea what I was doing.

I hoped I'd remember when I tried it again but...nope.

Just restarted playing Metroid Prime and got to the stage where you have to fight the wasps to get the Missle Launcher. Playing that section made me think how great Metroid Prime 4 would be if they made it on Oculus Rift or Morpheus.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Oh trust me, I do NOT want Other M's art style to come back, haha. I'm just saying the Prime art style has grown stale after being used in three consecutive games (four counting Hunters). I want them to spice it up and try something new, like the Zelda team did with Wind Waker and Skyward Sword.

Just restarted playing Metroid Prime and got to the stage where you have to fight the wasps to get the Missle Launcher. Playing that section made me think how great Metroid Prime 4 would be if they made it on Oculus Rift or Morpheus.
The could be so awesome.

K' Dash

First Person works better for a series where exploration is at it's core, who would have thought Super Metroid would have been so masterfully translated to a FPA like Prime?

Retro ♡

I'm bummed out. I abandoned Prime 2 partway in because I was just over it at the time and now I wanna get back into it but have 0 idea what I was doing.

I hoped I'd remember when I tried it again but...nope.

I would recommend to start over man, out of the three Prime games you chose the wrong one to abandon halfway.

I think it's funny that moths exist on a planet populated by moth people.

Like imagine if one species of insects we had here on Earth was essentially a tiny human.

Verger

Banned
First Person works better for a series where exploration is at it's core, who would have thought Super Metroid would have been so masterfully translated to a FPA like Prime?

Retro ♡
No One.

I mean, that's how it was. When it was first learned that Metroid would become an FPS you can only imagine the WTF breakdowns online. That combined with the fact it was put into the hands of a brand-new untested Western (not Japanese) developer was a double-wtf. Then you added on the rumors swirling about the poor leadership of Retro (with stories of CEO being absentee party-guy) combined with the first leaked screenshots and people had no doubt written this off as nothing that could end up being good.

Which is why it probably surprised everyone and ended up so critically acclaimed, because pretty much everyone had set their expectations that it was going to be a super bomb.

No One.

I mean, that's how it was. When it was first learned that Metroid would become an FPS you can only imagine the WTF breakdowns online. That combined with the fact it was put into the hands of a brand-new untested Western (not Japanese) developer was a double-wtf. Then you added on the rumors swirling about the poor leadership of Retro (with stories of CEO being absentee party-guy) combined with the first leaked screenshots and people had no doubt written this off as nothing that could end up being good.

Which is why it probably surprised everyone and ended up so critically acclaimed, because pretty much everyone had set their expectations that it was going to be a super bomb.

It feels like there's always people who turn up their noses at fps and first-person games because their only impressions of it come from stuff like Halo and Call of Duty (nothing wrong with them) when there is far more variety present. Even comparing FEAR and Half Life, those play very differently even if they are similar on the surface. Then you get Serious Sam, Quake, Duke, Unreal, Doom, System Shock, Deus Ex, Thief, Ultima Underworld. For a game based on exploration like Metroid, first person is a perfect fit.

Shawsie64

Banned
First time playing Metroid Prime series and I think the game clicked for me last night when I entered the [MP1]
space pirate research facility
.. Man the game is sucking me in now!

3 amazing games. The best franchise Nintendo has yet they're not making a new game for some reason.

Ok. Going to play all 3 soon. Damn you GAF!

I think it's funny that moths exist on a planet populated by moth people.

Like imagine if one species of insects we had here on Earth was essentially a tiny human.
We call those monkeys.

Man, I fucking love these games. I'm SOOO glad you guys get to experience them for the first time. I remember when Trilogy came out, I didn't even have a functioning Wii, but I bought that shit so hard, so quick. I was in training with the military, and had no idea it had even come out. Was just wandering through a Gamestop on a weekend, and bam, there it was.

First time playing Metroid Prime series and I think the game clicked for me last night when I entered the [MP1]
Damn. I'm so jealous. It's one of my favourite parts from the first Prime game. What a game. Enjoy, my friend.

...and yes, I agree with all the calls for a new Prime-style game from Retro. I really hope they are. Between a Prime game and Yoshi's Woolly World, my Wii U purchase will have been justified.

Verger

Banned
It is a great credit to Retro that they can pack all these amazing sections within these games. There are plenty of them (depending on preference). Glacier One is definitely a highlight with all the stuff that you do in there.

Load times are still amazing. I haven't had to wait at a door.

No One.

People who thought that Prime would be bad because it was an FPS were clearly not people who played masterpieces like System Shock 2 and Deus Ex. I mean, especially when - Correct me if I'm wrong - A sizable portion of the dev team were the guys who made TUROK. That's a precedent for quality there.

Top Bottom