• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

Toxi

Banned
People who thought that Prime would be bad because it was an FPS were clearly not people who played masterpieces like System Shock 2 and Deus Ex. I mean, especially when - Correct me if I'm wrong - A sizable portion of the dev team were the guys who made TUROK. That's a precedent for quality there.
If you played masterpieces like System Shock 2 and Deus Ex, you probably weren't expecting much from a Nintendo FPS on the Gamecube.

It's practically a miracle Prime turned out so well.

steveovig

I managed to get a few more upgrades in MP1 today and I've hit 50% scans too. I got the Infared Visor, and the Magnet Ball (wrong name, I know), and the Super Missile. I hate how you have to work the SM with holding A and pressing d-pad Up. It's very cumbersome.

I still can't believe after I'm done with this, I still have two more good games waiting for me.

Verger

Banned
I just saw Samus' face in the end. What the hell? Never had that before, thought you needed like 100% or something.
100% Ending shows a special sequence
which is a teaser for Echoes in regards to the true fate of Metroid Prime
And see how much better it is, compared to the rest of the iterations past it, too?
I really wish Nintendo had used Retro's Samus instead of the other way around, where they made Retro alter their Samus after her new design in Metroid: Zero Mission to be obviously consistent.

Sakamoto....

Ezalc

Yeah, in that recent Metroid interview where they talked about the future of the series, Other M seemed to be entirely thrown under the rug.

As it should be, to me Other M is just some fever dream Samus had while she was undergoing surgery in the beginning of Fusion.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wrapped up Prime and am now diving back into our lord and savior Echoes.

sogood.gif

100% Ending shows a special sequence
which is a teaser for Echoes in regards to the true fate of Metroid Prime

I really wish Nintendo had used Retro's Samus instead of the other way around, where they made Retro alter their Samus after her new design in Metroid: Zero Mission to be obviously consistent.

Sakamoto....

I'm fine with the current Samus but it clashes hard with the normal Prime artstyle. She looked awful in 2.

K' Dash

Wrapped up Prime and am now diving back into our lord and savior Echoes.

sogood.gif

I'm fine with the current Samus but it clashes hard with the normal Prime artstyle. She looked awful in 2.

Well it is consistent with the Barbie Doll Samus Nintendo had been trying to push, now it's her oficial appearance.

I liked her roughed, mature image in Prime's ending much more, but I can understand why they made her a Body Paint Model, market appeal...

Azure J

Metroid Prime Hunters had the right idea about Samus look. Stylized but rugged all the same. Really have a soft spot for Prime 1's incarnation just for how unique it was.

Prime 2 version is scarier than anything you run into in Dark Aether and Prime 3 ZSS went full doll like.

K' Dash

Metroid Prime Hunters had the right idea about Samus look. Stylized but rugged all the same. Really have a soft spot for Prime 1's incarnation just for how unique it was.

Prime 2 version is scarier than anything you run into in Dark Aether and Prime 3 ZSS went full doll like.

Is this the one on Hunters?

latest

I hate to admit it, but I like the current design better than that one, Prime Samus being my favorite.

I wouldn't mind the current design so much if it wasn't for the huge chest, hills and body paint like Zero suit :/

I could do with a breast reduction, boots and a less tight suit, she's a seasoned bounty hunter for God's sake! not a swim suit model!

Is this the one on Hunters?

latest

I hate to admit it, but I like the current design better than that one, Prime Samus being my favorite.

I wouldn't mind the current design so much if it wasn't for the huge chest, hills and body paint like Zero suit :/

I could do with a breast reduction, boots and a less tight suit, she's a seasoned bounty hunter for God's sake! not a swim suit model!

Who says bounty hunters can't be stacked?

It makes sense that the Zero Suit would be skintight, it's worn beneath the armor.

I will grant you it's weird that it like...individually molds to each breast. That and the heels are a bit much. But hopefully those changes and some of the others from Other M stay buried forever.

gabbo

Picked this up tonight as part of the eShop sale just for number 3 as I own 1 and 2 fr the GC already. Mistake?

ohlawd

Picked this up tonight as part of the eShop sale just for number 3 as I own 1 and 2 fr the GC already. Mistake?

no mistake

you get to play 3 which you haven't played before
you get to play 1 and 2 again with the best control scheme. fuck the purists
you get to play all 3 with improved load times
you get to play all 3 without touching a disc

and

you paid just 10 dollars for all this goodness

Kjellson

I guess I was much better this time than previous runs then. Only died twice.

Also, I started on Echoes too. It's interesting how different I play this than the first one, while I remember almost every room in Prime that I can just stroll through this almost feels like a new game since I only played it once a long time ago and didn't get past Spider Guardian. I'm excited to continue tomorrow!

Echoes down. 92% items, 10:04 on the clock, veteran difficulty, hints off. For reference, my Prime stats were 97%, 6:33, veteran and hints off.

Only thing I had to look up was the second Torvus key. I'm really lucky I remember the game pretty well or else I'd probably have pulled my hair out trying to find
the seeker missiles and power bombs. Unlike Prime, Echoes seemingly trains the player to stay in a singular area until it's complete, so having to leave to find those particular items in a different area can be a mindfuck.

Sky Temple key hunt wasn't bad, but it would be nice if the game highlighted that all of the key info is added to the logbook when scanning the Luminoth at the entry point.

Currently undecided on Echoes. It undoubtedly has more sophisticated level design and bosses than Prime...though I still see some downsides with the cutscenes (especially when using the energy converters), and late-game tedious portal hopping. Like George Lucas, it may have gone too far in places, but unlike The Phantom Menace, it mostly pays off.

Converse

Banned
After putting in a few more hours, I think the only drawback of revisiting the Prime trilogy is how upset it makes me that Super Smash Bros. for Wii U pretty much ignores the Prime games in favor of Other M. In the words of James Rolfe, "what were they thinking?"

Arkanius

After putting in a few more hours, I think the only drawback of revisiting the Prime trilogy is how upset it makes me that Super Smash Bros. for Wii U pretty much ignores the Prime games in favor of Other M. In the words of James Rolfe, "what were they thinking?"

How so
In Zero Suit Samus design?

octopiggy

Just started playing through Prime 1 for the first time ever. I'm actually playing the disc version that I've had on my shelf for ages but always found the prospect of starting an entire trilogy a bit daunting. I decided to give it a go while everyone else seems to be enjoying it.

I was just wondering if there is any miss-able content? Like if I miss an opportunity to scan a certain creature, does that mean I can't get 100%?

Just got the pirate data mentioning the rebuild of Ridley, I really like the little glimpses you see of him, escaping orpheon at the start, flying over phendrana.
Details such as data mentioning he 'will relish' the role of leading the Pirates to dominate the sector really ramp his role as Samus's nemesis and the inevitable battle to come, so cool.

Best explanation I've heard yet.

This is now my head cannon.

It's pretty much impossible that Samus suffers from fever dreams or even fever at all.
The Chozo merged her humanoid DNA with the far superior Chozo DNA, creating a Wolverine-like immune system and durability to give her resistance to the hostile enviroment of alien planets.

Converse

Banned
How so
In Zero Suit Samus design?

No, not necessarily -- I get that the armor and Zero Suit designs are the most recent and also jell well with Smash's style. I'm mostly miffed about the Prime trilogy's lack of representation in the trophy and soundtrack department. Other M got three tracks from one game (which had entirely forgettable music), while the entire Prime trilogy -- which had some of the most incredible game music out there -- gets two tracks? Other M also had a slew of trophies, including its own Trophy Box, compared to two trophies from the whole Prime series. Coupled with the focus on ZSS and the Pryosphere stage, it just seems like the Prime trilogy wasn't really held in high regard by the Smash team.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Echoes down. 92% items, 10:04 on the clock, veteran difficulty, hints off. For reference, my Prime stats were 97%, 6:33, veteran and hints off.

Only thing I had to look up was the second Torvus key. I'm really lucky I remember the game pretty well or else I'd probably have pulled my hair out trying to find
the seeker missiles and power bombs. Unlike Prime, Echoes seemingly trains the player to stay in a singular area until it's complete, so having to leave to find those particular items in a different area can be a mindfuck.

Sky Temple key hunt wasn't bad, but it would be nice if the game highlighted that all of the key info is added to the logbook when scanning the Luminoth at the entry point.

Currently undecided on Echoes. It undoubtedly has more sophisticated level design and bosses than Prime...though I still see some downsides with the cutscenes (especially when using the energy converters), and late-game tedious portal hopping. Like George Lucas, it may have gone too far in places, but unlike The Phantom Menace, it mostly pays off.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm really tempted to buy it, but I already have the Trilogy for Wii (at the seaside home, with the Wii)...

I owned the old gamecube games but never played them. I am just now playing this series. I just beat the first game and am starting the second.

I picked up the retail limited tin edition on ebay used, but in absolute mint condition for like 70$ total cost. Worth every penny. Ownership > digital all day baby.

yoplay

Got my wii u today. Going to hit up Toad Treasure first, followed by Galaxy 2 and then Metroid. Really looking forward to playing all 3 Metroids.

Prototype

It's pretty much impossible that Samus suffers from fever dreams or even fever at all.
The Chozo merged her humanoid DNA with the far superior Chozo DNA, creating a Wolverine-like immune system and durability to give her resistance to the hostile enviroment of alien planets.
Let me dream! For the love of all that is holy!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
No, not necessarily -- I get that the armor and Zero Suit designs are the most recent and also jell well with Smash's style. I'm mostly miffed about the Prime trilogy's lack of representation in the trophy and soundtrack department. Other M got three tracks from one game (which had entirely forgettable music), while the entire Prime trilogy -- which had some of the most incredible game music out there -- gets two tracks? Other M also had a slew of trophies, including its own Trophy Box, compared to two trophies from the whole Prime series. Coupled with the focus on ZSS and the Pryosphere stage, it just seems like the Prime trilogy wasn't really held in high regard by the Smash team.

How much Prime content did Brawl have? One stage. Don't remember trophies/stickers. Samus was still based on the Super Metroid design.

Ocaso

Remove the awful forced Dark Pirate Commando fights and maybe...
I forgot to mention them :l

Edit - For the record I still think Echoes is a 9.5/10 game.

These have a weakness that makes them total pushovers.
Charged dark beam followed by either a missile or a charged light beam (I forget which). One of the subtleties of Echoes weapon system is that light weapons weren't always best for dark enemies and vica versa.

Pachimari

I think I'm gonna start this up today, having never ever played a Metroid game at all. Neither the 2D or 3D games.

But I long for some Wiimote action, I just need to find the time.

wrowa

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of developers inside of Nintendo Japan regard the Prime series as some kind of unwanted step-child. Sakurai has likely been in touch with Sakamoto for two decades and has deep connections to the EAD and SPD teams and I don't think it's too far-fetched to think that quite a few of those people regard the Prime series as other people messing with their series.

Arkanius

I think I'm gonna start this up today, having never ever played a Metroid game at all. Neither the 2D or 3D games.

But I long for some Wiimote action, I just need to find the time.

Oh boy you are in for a treat.
Do you like imersing yourself in an adventure in alien worlds?

See you next week :D

Cømet

Banned
I had no idea the Trilogy version of MP1 has the ice shriekbats just disappear after thermal visor collection.

My 100% run is ruined :(

Pachimari

Oh boy you are in for a treat.
Do you like imersing yourself in an adventure in alien worlds?

See you next week :D
I'm actually not fond of alien world, wwhich is what have kept me away from the games for so long. The artistical direction always pushed me away.

Fuck Nintendo and their lazy ports.

Trilogy needs an HD Remake. :(

Cømet;150392711 said:
I had no idea the Trilogy version of MP1 has the ice shriekbats just disappear after thermal visor collection.

My 100% run is ruined :(

Wasn't it always like this?

K' Dash

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of developers inside of Nintendo Japan regard the Prime series as some kind of unwanted step-child. Sakurai has likely been in touch with Sakamoto for two decades and has deep connections to the EAD and SPD teams and I don't think it's too far-fetched to think that quite a few of those people regard the Prime series as other people messing with their series.

IIRC Sakamoto hates the Prime series.

As long as he stays away from Metroid he can haye whatever he wants.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Almost done with Prime 1. Just a few artifacts left to collect. I can't believe how much fun I'm having! I'm way more into the game now than I've ever been before. Part of it is that I've replayed most of the 2D entries over the past year and it's fun to compare, but it's also that I'm playing Prime a little differently this time. I'm keeping scanning to a minimum and I'm running past the more tedious enemies. Makes it way more enjoyable for me. I can't wait to move on to Prime 2. I've barely played it.

Top Bottom