• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

octopiggy

I think this game might be giving me motion sickness. The only other game I remember having this with is Goldeneye. I obviously don't play enough FPS games anymore! I think I'm going to have to take my time with this one.

Zarovitch

Replaying this last night made me realize how i love this serie, more than i've remember. I know it's not the series that sell the most by please Nintendo, i need a new a new Trilogy, ok at least one game.

MilesTeg

Banned
About to start this up. I've played all three games but that was a very long time ago and I've never played the Trilogy on Wii. This is gonna be good. Though between this and TW101, I had to delete Smash and Kart temporarily.

shaki123

HELP!

My WiiU GamePad Adapter is broken atm. Does anyone know if I can enter a EUR 15 eShop Card in the eShop without my Pad and just the Pro Controller itself? I know you can only use the Pad for entering Creditcard info so I really hope somebody could answer this for me since I only have EUR 15 to spend this week and buying a new adapter for the Pad would make me lose out on the Deal.

After putting in a few more hours, I think the only drawback of revisiting the Prime trilogy is how upset it makes me that Super Smash Bros. for Wii U pretty much ignores the Prime games in favor of Other M. In the words of James Rolfe, "what were they thinking?"

Half of Samus' alt costumes directly reference the Prime series. There are no Other M assist trophies, Dark Samus is with Mother Brain and a Metroid as series staples enough to be assist trophies. Dark Samus is also the most complicated Assist Trophy in the game.

Other M's suit design translates well to Smash's style. I also, personally, don't mind the way it looks either, although I think it needs fins on the shoulders. Smash generally picks the most recent game in the series to pull designs from for most characters, unless they wouldn't work (like Skyward Sword)

How much Prime content did Brawl have? One stage. Don't remember trophies/stickers. Samus was still based on the Super Metroid design.
A stage, a couple songs (only one was cut in Smash 4, a Hunters Song was added though). A boatload of trophies. Meta-Ridley was a subspace boss. A Dark Suit alt for Samus, and her old gravity alt being full on converted to Prime's design.

Samus was actually based on Zero Mission in Brawl, not Super, although ZM Samus is heavily based on Super's design.

TheMoon

Fuck Nintendo and their lazy ports.

Trilogy needs an HD Remake. :(

Are you serious right now with this nonsense??

HELP!

My WiiU GamePad Adapter is broken atm. Does anyone know if I can enter a EUR 15 eShop in the eShop without my Pad and just the Pro Controller itself? I know you can only use the Pad for entering Creditcard info so I really hope somebody could answer this for me since I only have EUR 15 to spend this week and buying a new adapter for the Pad would make me lose out on the Deal.

You can't.

shaki123

You can't.

Yep, I put £15 on last week with the Pro Controller because the Gamepad's battery apparently died immediately after turning the WiiU on.

The eshop actually works perfectly fine with the Pro Controller, since I generally never use the gods awful Gamepad if I can help it.

Really the entire console is just dog shit design wise. Incredibly poorly thought out, irritating and counter intuitive to navigate, and just a decade behind what it should be on both the software and hardware front. .

You can? At least that's what this guy says. Btw, I forgot tho add the word "card" after EUR 15 eShop.. lol

shaki123

You can only input the CC details or the password through the gamepad.

He brah, I asked if I can enter the eShop EUR 15 Card Info in the eShop and this guy said this to me:

Yep, I put £15 on last week with the Pro Controller because the Gamepad's battery apparently died immediately after turning the WiiU on.

The eshop actually works perfectly fine with the Pro Controller, since I generally never use the gods awful Gamepad if I can help it.

Really the entire console is just dog shit design wise. Incredibly poorly thought out, irritating and counter intuitive to navigate, and just a decade behind what it should be on both the software and hardware front. .

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
HELP!

My WiiU GamePad Adapter is broken atm. Does anyone know if I can enter a EUR 15 eShop Card in the eShop without my Pad and just the Pro Controller itself? I know you can only use the Pad for entering Creditcard info so I really hope somebody could answer this for me since I only have EUR 15 to spend this week and buying a new adapter for the Pad would make me lose out on the Deal.
Buy it from the web store on your PC.

shaki123

Why don't you just try it then?

Like I said, I only have 15EUR to spend this week and I don't want to buy an eShop card because someone has a hunch or "an idea it might work". If it doesn't work I could have spend the EUR 15 on buying a new Gamepad adapter.

If it works I can buy the Prime Trilogy. If it doesn't work and I bought the damn card I don't have Prime Trilogy. The question is a fair one.

Lagamorph

Tried following the instructions to copy over the save file with the friend tokens, but my Wii U doesn't seem to recognise it. The data on the SD card is just listed as ??? and wont copy over.

Tried with 2 different SD cards.

EDIT - Tried again, but this time ejected the SD card rather than just pulling it out, and it worked. Weird.

Toxi

Banned
It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of developers inside of Nintendo Japan regard the Prime series as some kind of unwanted step-child. Sakurai has likely been in touch with Sakamoto for two decades and has deep connections to the EAD and SPD teams and I don't think it's too far-fetched to think that quite a few of those people regard the Prime series as other people messing with their series.
The way Prime was so frequently declared superior to the simultaneously released Fusion probably didn't help.

wrowa

Like I said, I only have 15EUR to spend this week and I don't want to buy an eShop card because someone has a hunch or "an idea it might work". If it doesn't work I could have spend the EUR 15 on buying a new Gamepad adapter.

If it works I can buy the Prime Trilogy. If it doesn't work and I bought the damn card I don't have Prime Trilogy. The question is a fair one.

You only need to check whether or not you can type in a code with the Classic Controller. You don't need a valid code to test that. :p

ChaosXVI

The way Prime was so frequently declared superior to the simultaneously released Fusion probably didn't help.

I've also been under the impression that NCL doesn't really "get" the Metroid Prime series and what makes them great, outside of Miyamoto and Tanabe of course, since they were pretty integral in helping create the Prime games. But I'd be more than willing to guess that Sakamoto hates them.

I was also disappointed by the amount of Metroid Prime stuff in Sm4sh, but Metroid is a fairly dormant series at the moment, whereas when Brawl came out Metroid was getting almost annual releases since 2002, so I was expecting an overall lack of Metroid presence in this release in general...just sucks to see Other M get so much attention when it's hated/not as admired by most of the Metroid fanbase.

At least they tweaked the Other M suit to make it look decent, even if Samus now looks impossibly thin in the damn thing. I do hope if another Retro Metroid comes out it will have their armor design.

TheMoon

I would be careful with all these constructed fairy tales about who might hate a series from another developer. That stuff has a habit of becoming known as "fact" if enough people repeat it. See the "Miyamoto HATES the DKC games" bullshit that people still keep saying today.

But you don't need to buy eShop funds to TRY to get to the screen where you enter the code. If you can get to it with your available controllers and enter ANY numbers, that is your answer.

You only need to check whether or not you can type in a code with the Classic Controller. You don't need a valid code to test that. :p

This.

shaki123

But you don't need to buy eShop funds to TRY to get to the screen where you enter the code. If you can get to it with your available controllers and enter ANY numbers, that is your answer.

Seriously, Why haven't I thought of this? I feel pretty stupid atm.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I would be careful with all these constructed fairy tales about who might hate a series from another developer. That stuff has a habit of becoming known as "fact" if enough people repeat it. See the "Miyamoto HATES the DKC games" bullshit that people still keep saying today.

I recall the stuff about Sakamoto not liking the Prime series came from an interview where he was pretty clear about it. I specifically remember something about him saying they are "not canon" at least from his perspective.

I could be entirely misremembering though.

ChaosXVI

Okay, time for the ultimate question: Which is the better Varia Suit design, Prime or Prime 2/3?

For the longest time I liked Prime 1's suit better, but then again I tend to always get irritated with the most nitpicky stuff. Like how her helmet in 2/3 has that part of the visor that sticks up in the middle, but the first one doesn't have that. The...ridiculously minor inconsistency drove me nuts.

But like I said, I'm like that. I won't buy a clock that has roman numeral IV displayed as IIII because I hate it. I look for it on any clockface with roman numerals.

Oh yeah, I like Prime 2's the best, because it looks dirtier than Prime 3's Varia suit.

TheMoon

I recall the stuff about Sakamoto not liking the Prime series came from an interview where he was pretty clear about it. I specifically remember something about him saying they are "not canon" at least from his perspective.

I could be entirely misremembering though.

Saying the games are not canon and not liking them, etc are very very different things. It's pretty clear they're not in the same canon as the other games since those have been telling one story since 1986 whereas the Prime games function more like a Zelda game which take the same character with familiar tropes and do their own interpretation of it.

edit:

ONM Spain: In the time period of GameCube, Retro Studios took care of the franchise. Why did you make this decision?

Sakamoto: We wanted to explore Metroid's possibilities as subjective (first person) action game. A member of Nintendo mentioned Retro, a studio that had great experience in this field. I didn't participate a lot in these games: I supervised that they maintained the essence of the franchise, but we gave them a lot of liberty with the plot. In fact, I have always seen the story of the Primes as alternative and not integrated in the story of the other Metroids, that's the reason they had total liberty when creating it. And Samus was different, tougher.
http://www.metroid-database.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6564

How much are load times decreased? Still debating getting this, even though I have the discs.

Read OP. There is even video.

ChaosXVI

Yes, but at the beginning back when the games were coming out, the entire Trilogy was said to take place between Metroid 1 and Metroid 2, with the first Prime even referencing the fall of Zebes in Metroid 1.

Arkanius

Saying the games are not canon and not liking them, etc are very very different things. It's pretty clear they're not in the same canon as the other games since those have been telling one story since 1986 whereas the Prime games function more like a Zelda game which take the same character with familiar tropes and do their own interpretation of it.

edit:

I thought the Prime games were between Metroid 1 and 2, canon wise.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, time for the ultimate question: Which is the better Varia Suit design, Prime or Prime 2/3?

Definitely 2/3 (are they the same? I don't even remember). But between all the 3D options (Smash + Metroid games) I feel like both the 1 and 2/3 Prime Varia suits are the two best ones. Better than the Melee/Brawl/Other M/Smash 4 ones. And Smash 64 I guess, but that was so crude I hesitate to count it.

I just mean the non-canon part I am like 99% sure about.

But I do recall there being more to it than that, like they weren't "proper" Metroid games or that it didn't work in first person or something. At the very least, that he didn't like them. But again, I might be misremembering.

Edit: That may be what I'm thinking of, but I swear there was more to it.

Forkball

I got the spider ball. I barely beat Thardus, all that damn visor switching messed me up. Now that I'm back at my ship, I'm going to dig around and try to get any items I might have missed.

Prime kind of got ignored in SSB4, but Other M is of course the newest entry so they wanted to focus on that. Not to mention we needed MORE LAVA STAGES.

Ridley327

I thought the Prime games were between Metroid 1 and 2, canon wise.

They are, but admittedly, you do wind up having issues with how the overarching storyline is stretched out when you suggest that Samus had four big adventures in between 1 and 2, when it was suggested that 2 takes place in a relatively short timespan after 1.

This is why my personal thoughts on the canon are such as they are: as long as you aren't going overboard with the cutscenes and just let me play the game, then I don't give a crap about where the game is set.

K' Dash

I could not care less about what Sakamoto thinks about the Metroid canon, I thank him for creating the franchise and making on e the best games ever created, but that's it, I don't want him near Metroid EVER again, his vision of Samus is fucking repulsive, PTSD, soft, obedient female? what in the flying fuck was he smoking?

I call bullshit. I think that Nintendo knows the importance of Metroid Prime given how they produced 3 episodes that had some costs and kept a talented western developer working for years. Metroid Prime 3 especially had some huge marketing and was one of the first titles announced for Wii. They even published "Trilogy" and now offered the entire experience for 9.99 (instead of Other M) talking about it during a direct. Just like Mario Galaxy, this thing sits on the top 10 on gamerankings and pretty high on metacritic and they know it. Another thing: Galaxy sold more than all Prime games and yet they only made 2 games of that series instead of 3, after that they released 3D Land and 3D World wich are pretty different.
Nintendo knows when something gets stale, that's why after 3 games (that didn't sell so much) they decided to take a different approach with Metroid and thought that maybe a japanese developer could make the difference, this series has some potential afterall. Other M had Sakamoto as a director and he clearly wanted to stay away from Prime for understandable reasons. In the end the product had many things taken straight from Retro Studios' vision, this still enforces the importance of Prime.

The only thing that sticks with Other M is Smash Bros but we know that Sakurai takes some strange decisions like TP design for Link, Zelda and Ganondorf. I also think that Smash 4, soundtrack aside, pays good homage to Prime with the colored suits and Dark Samus.

tl;dr: we have more chances to see Prime 4 than Other M 2 but in the end Nintendo wants to take different approaches so we're probably going to see something new. Just hope that the multiplayer fps Miyamoto talked about was a joke!

xinek

Ah, there are a couple OPs. Duh, and thanks.

The videos said they were using an SSD, so now I'm wondering about how a spinny external drive will perform. It also says Corruption is the worst of the three in terms of hiding load times, so not sure the digital purchase is really worth it just for load times.

All I know is watching the videos really made me want to play these again. So good...

Grief.exe

Some more Dolphin screens

ixQbWn4lLM371.png

idwq7uCfyQs1a.png

irgIQQCC4bxgA.png

Verger

Banned
The whole "canon vs. noncanon" stuff still isn't settled since no one has bothered to get clarification from Sakamoto since his initial comments which some believe were mistranslations/misunderstandings of what he was talking about (where some believe he was referring to Prime not being relevantly canon to Other M which was the subject of the interview at the time, and from what we now know of Other M, that was quite true).

Regardless, what were the sales figures for Other M? Didn't all the Prime games outsell it? Not to mention the critical acclaim. Nintendo who listens to money more than anything would be foolish to consider Other M as something to build off of.

It is a true testament to Metroid Prime that you can play the game over a decade later and still have super fun with it. Solid game design is timeless and those review quotes talking about how the game felt like something out of the future emphasized that.

On my playthrough I just finished the super awesome sequences of traversing through the wreckage of the Orpheon to the initial assault on the Phazon Mining complex. The crashed Frigate Orpheon is still IMO one of the best uses of "reusable assets" in gaming. They basically played with your recollection of the layout and turned things on their heads by flooding it and having to use your Thermal visor and Gravity suit to get through it.

And of course THAT music, sooooo soothing. ;)

And then you get to the Mines located next to the Impact Crater, and it's an even more intense sequence similar to the attack on Glacier One where you have to infiltrate for all intents and purposes the Space Pirate HQ on the planet and fight all sorts of upgraded and new enemies. And the initial playthrough of the level has a dearth of save points so you are always worried about HP. And then you reach the Central Dynamo and have to face that Invisible Drone. I know I died on that guy when I first played the game. But there's actually a simple one-hit kill for him using
The Wavebuster
;)

Peru

The 'canon' question isn't relevant because when a new Metroid game comes along the developers will be smart and it will be stripped of backstory and explanations and dialogue so we won't even have to think about other games' silly tales. I hope.

Ezalc

It's pretty much impossible that Samus suffers from fever dreams or even fever at all.
The Chozo merged her humanoid DNA with the far superior Chozo DNA, creating a Wolverine-like immune system and durability to give her resistance to the hostile enviroment of alien planets.

Given the fact that the x parasite debilitated her so much, I'm thinking it could also have given her some type of fever as a secondary consequence of her infection. This will forever be my vision of that game.

The 'canon' question isn't relevant because when a new Metroid game comes along the developers will be smart and it will be stripped of backstory and explanations and dialogue so we won't even have to think about other games' silly tales. I hope.
Alternately, they will have a subtle jab in the very beginning that very clearly decanonizes Other M. Like a newspaper talking about a very different death of Adam or something.

Given the fact that the x parasite debilitated her so much, I'm thinking it could also have given her some type of fever as a secondary consequence of her infection. This will forever be my vision of that game.
I like to think of it as propaganda made by the Federation after Fusion to dehumanize and weaken Samus Aran, making her look like a fool and a madman so that the Federation can have the public backing them against her after she ruined their Metroid program.

Prime kind of got ignored in SSB4, but Other M is of course the newest entry so they wanted to focus on that. Not to mention we needed MORE LAVA STAGES.
It is so frustrating to me that pretty much every new Metroid thing barring the two ATs was pulled from Other M. Are there even any Prime trophies at all in Smash 4 besides Dark Samus? Every one I've seen so far has been the Wonderfully Memorable and Not Terrible cast of OM.

Timeaisis

That was my big roadblock back in the day on hard mode.

It's just funny to me that when I finally beat that boss, the remainder of the game was a breeze.

Ugh, I was playing on Veteran (normal). I can't even imagine how difficult he would be on hard. His attacks are annoying, there's phazon everywhere, and he spawns space pirates when he
goes invisible
. Bleh.

Just finished Prime 1, the ending wasn't QUITE as good as I remembered.
Meta Ridley was fun to fight, Prime 1 was a blast as a final exam boss, but Prime 2 was... kinda boring. At least it looked cool. Also I can't help but really wish they had made you manually escape from the Impact Crater instead of doing it as a cutscene - it feels like they wanted to but ran out of time or something. It would have made for a really cool bookend, as well as another parallel to Super.
Still great though. Now onto Prime 2! I'm excited, as while Prime 2 doesn't strike nearly as much nostalgia for me I still love it and its world.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished Prime 1, the ending wasn't QUITE as good as I remembered.
Meta Ridley was fun to fight, Prime 1 was a blast as a final exam boss, but Prime 2 was... kinda boring. At least it looked cool. Also I can't help but really wish they had made you manually escape from the Impact Crater instead of doing it as a cutscene - it feels like they wanted to but ran out of time or something. It would have made for a really cool bookend, as well as another parallel to Super.
Still great though. Now onto Prime 2! I'm excited, as while Prime 2 doesn't strike nearly as much nostalgia for me I still love it and its world.

I loved how Prime 2 handled that, actually.
Escape sequence, neat! ...wait, I have to fight Dark Samus? DURING the escape sequence?!

Top Bottom