• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

Verger

Banned
I loved how Prime 2 handled that, actually.
Escape sequence, neat! ...wait, I have to fight Dark Samus? DURING the escape sequence?!
Yeah, I imagine they probably did plan an Escape Sequence for Prime 1 but ran out of time. So they made up for that in Prime 2.

Got my HDD and am downloading Metroid Prime Trilogy now. Definitely hyped for the game and the new(er) control scheme.

Now I just have to get the save that people recommended to download to unlock the WiiConnect 24 features onto my Wii U. Surely I can't screw this up.

noshten

I got it before realizing I need a wii nunchuck to play it.

So right now I need to buy a nunchuck from somewhere but the closes gaming stores don't sell them.

K' Dash

Omega Pirate was kicking my ass yesterday until I remembered that goddamn scan that says
he's weak against missiles, a super missile took like 20% of his health bar
, man it's been a long time since I played this, I used to breeze trough this like it was nothing.

Cømet

Banned
Omega Pirate was kicking my ass yesterday until I remembered that goddamn scan that says
he's weak against missiles, a super missile took like 20% of his health bar
, man it's been a long time since I played this, I used to breeze trough this like it was nothing.

lol I was super lazy, just stuck wavebuster on ;p

BlackJace

I like how the main Chozo Ruins theme gives off a sense of Samus "getting used" to Tallon IV.

And how Tallon Overworld II emphasis how close you are to really solving the secret that the Chozo hid.

K' Dash

I'll be finishing Prime tonight, but I think I will play Earthbound before staring Echoes, my first time time playing it, I'm excited :D

I'll be finishing Prime tonight, but I think I will play Earthbound before staring Echoes, my first time time playing it, I'm excited :D

that's gross, dude

Prime 2 shits all over Earthbound

It's so weird to compare these two games :)

That being said, I strongly recommend you take a break before starting Echoes. When I bought the trilogy a few years ago, I started playing Echoes as soon as I finished Prime and it was horrible, I was tired from the start.

Take a break, play something entirely different (Earthbound is actually a pretty good choice) and come back later. Echoes is looooooong and taxing game, rest before you go for it.

Robin64

Not sure. Doesn't look stretched to me in those screens.

Prime 1 and 2 are stretched in Trilogy.

51424_DolphinIL_2010_01_02_11_51_20_70_122_125lo_2.jpg

K' Dash

It's so weird to compare these two games :)

That being said, I strongly recommend you take a break before starting Echoes. When I bought the trilogy a few years ago, I started playing Echoes as soon as I finished Prime and it was horrible, I was tired from the start.

Take a break, play something entirely different (Earthbound is actually a pretty good choice) and come back later. Echoes is looooooong and taxing game, rest before you go for it.

I have played Echoes like 4 times, but I don't have the time or energy from years ago, I'll take a little break and come back to the trilogy.

Really tempted to buy this even though I have no experience with the Metroid Prime games. How large will the total download be for all three?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Really tempted to buy this even though I have no experience with the Metroid Prime games. How large will the total download be for all three?

Trilogy is a compilation, you run it and pick a game from the main menu. So you can't download just one of the games.

It's just under 8GB.

Converse

Banned
It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of developers inside of Nintendo Japan regard the Prime series as some kind of unwanted step-child. Sakurai has likely been in touch with Sakamoto for two decades and has deep connections to the EAD and SPD teams and I don't think it's too far-fetched to think that quite a few of those people regard the Prime series as other people messing with their series.

Oh, man I opened up the Prime vs. Other M can of worms. But yes, though this is speculation, this is the sense I get from the content in SSB4.

On the canon thing, creator or not, it's audacious and insulting of Sakamoto to be so dismissive of games that are so very much better than his most recent entry (and I like Sakamoto, too -- just not Other M). At least we know for a fact that Miyamoto likes Prime, and that guy has just a bit of clout.

Anyway, carry on with the Prime love.

BCDAWG7

Just bought it can't wait to play it. I have no experience with any of the prime games. Been thinking of picking this up from Gamestop for the last year.

Corgi

Banned
General wiimote question... but I currently don't own a tv, and mostly game at my pc desk with my wii setup here.

Can I even play wiimote motion games at super close proximity to the infared sensor?

Anyone else try this?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
General wiimote question... but I currently don't own a tv, and mostly game at my pc desk with my wii setup here.

Can I even play wiimote motion games at super close proximity to the infared sensor?

Anyone else try this?
I game at a desk, and yeah, I have to sit a bit farther back than I'd like. I got used to it pretty fast, though.

Corgi

Banned
hmmm now to get a nunchuk.... where the hell did I leave that thing. haven't had to use it since skyward sword... which was a while ago

TheMoon

Anyone else try this?

It doesn't matter where you put your sensor bar. Put it wherever it's comfortable to play.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
you got this :)
I'll be fine. I'm not a purist -- I'm willing to turn hints on after a good hour of being stuck. Part of me wonders if I should jump into Prime 2 right away anyways. I don't want to get burnt out on the series, but I'm definitely really into it still. I beat Prime 1 in just a few sittings, but that's because I remembered a lot of it from my past playthroughs.

I'll be fine. I'm not a purist -- I'm willing to turn hints on after a good hour of being stuck. Part of me wonders if I should jump into Prime 2 right away anyways. I don't want to get burnt out on the series, but I'm definitely really into it still. I beat Prime 1 in just a few sittings, but that's because I remembered a lot of it from my past playthroughs.

I beat both of them pretty much back to back without getting bored. Echoes has a different vibe than Prime which helps somewhat. Will probably start Corruption later tonight.

Man it's great to play these games again. It's been almost ten years since I last played MP1.

And yup. The area where you get the
thermal visor
is still as tough as I remember. First death! Woop woop.

However what's really striking me is the constant feeeling of progression, the steady stream of new areas and powers, of slowly gaining true mastery over an environment, whether through better weapons letting you dominate enemies, learning the layout and shortcuts allowing you to bypass a previously difficult section with ease or clever items letting you simply do more in the spaces presented to you. That to me is the essence of Metroid and damn did this game get it right.

ohlawd

k cool Prime 3's done

fucking Club Ninteno and amiibos taking up so much of my time

now I'm supposed to be finishing up Path of Radiance but I don't wanna since I just finished the last game of the best trilogy in games ever

Vena

The way Prime was so frequently declared superior to the simultaneously released Fusion probably didn't help.

I thought Miyamoto was a big fan of Prime? Tanabe too.

I don't even know why the devs at EAD-Tokyo would not like it, it honestly feels like a game right up their ally just that its done in first-person, rather than third. I don't really know why the hell Iwata gave Sakamoto reigns on Metroid later on, though, given Nintendo's inner culture I wonder if he had much choice even as President.

Verger

Banned
Man it's great to play these games again. It's been almost ten years since I last played MP1.

And yup. The area where you get the
thermal visor
is still as tough as I remember. First death! Woop woop.

However what's really striking me is the constant feeeling of progression, the steady stream of new areas and powers, of slowly gaining true mastery over an environment, whether through better weapons letting you dominate enemies, learning the layout and shortcuts allowing you to bypass a previously difficult section with ease or clever items letting you simply do more in the spaces presented to you. That to me is the essence of Metroid and damn did this game get it right.
That's pretty much the great pacing Retro was able to get out of this game. They seemed to plan things out so well that when you backtrack you will get more mileage out of your new abilities or from new enemies they would populate the paths with.

And it's still amazing just how the game keeps throwing more new abilities and more areas for you to explore just when you think you've reached the limit. The Phazon Mines for example just kept on going I couldn't believe how huge the area ended up being and they made it varied with different areas like the Elite Research and then the Metroid Holding Pens.
I thought Miyamoto was a big fan of Prime? Tanabe too.

I don't even know why the devs at EAD-Tokyo would not like it, it honestly feels like a game right up their ally just that its done in first-person, rather than third. I don't really know why the hell Iwata gave Sakamoto reigns on Metroid later on, though, given Nintendo's inner culture I wonder if he had much choice even as President.
Well, Other M was a co-production with Team Ninja so they would no doubt give reigns to Sakamoto for that since they would want it to be lead by Japanese devs. Anyway we shouldn't assume what Nintendo's thoughts are on Prime since there could be any number of explanations as to why they went back to have Sakamoto take complete lead on Other M. I do think personally Sakamoto's vision for who Samus is and the whole mythos of Metroid is greatly divergent to what I honestly feel is best for the series.

KingV

Does prime 1 in the trilogy streamline the artifact collecting at the end of the game?

Its funny, that and the collectathon at the end of Wind Waker threw me off of both games on the Cube, when they came out... And now collectathon is hailed as massive amounts of content instead of the filler it really is.

McNum

So nostalgic. Forgetting to save, then stumbling into the Wave Beam room and having to fight Mama Sheegoth. Classic Metroid Prime that. So glad I've been collecting missile expansions, since the only way I could hurt it was to feed it missiles. That took a long time. Please tell me there's a better way to hurt a Sheegoth. I know they show up as normal enemies later.

Also, the Wave Beam is a homing beam? Hm, never noticed that in the original. So, Lock-On Free Aim is kind of useless for the Wave Beam.

Grief.exe

Grief my man, please tell me you got a wiimote and nunchuck on your Dolphin set up now

DS4? for real, homie?

Well, I'm actually playing the GameCube version as I don't actually own the Metroid Prime Trilogy, which rules out potential emulation. May be a moot point, as I believe that the title runs rather poorly in Dolphin.
If I were to emulate the Trilogy version, I would most likely just use the mouse and play it like a true first person shooter.

Top Bottom