• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

So nostalgic. Forgetting to save, then stumbling into the Wave Beam room and having to fight Mama Sheegoth. Classic Metroid Prime that. So glad I've been collecting missile expansions, since the only way I could hurt it was to feed it missiles. That took a long time. Please tell me there's a better way to hurt a Sheegoth. I know they show up as normal enemies later.

Also, the Wave Beam is a homing beam? Hm, never noticed that in the original. So, Lock-On Free Aim is kind of useless for the Wave Beam.

Roll under them and drop bombs.

Verger

Banned
So nostalgic. Forgetting to save, then stumbling into the Wave Beam room and having to fight Mama Sheegoth. Classic Metroid Prime that. So glad I've been collecting missile expansions, since the only way I could hurt it was to feed it missiles. That took a long time. Please tell me there's a better way to hurt a Sheegoth. I know they show up as normal enemies later.

Also, the Wave Beam is a homing beam? Hm, never noticed that in the original. So, Lock-On Free Aim is kind of useless for the Wave Beam.
Sheegoth's scan indicated that its underbelly was vulnerable so I would roll under her in morph ball and plant bombs which seemed to hurt it.

Toxi

Banned
Does prime 1 in the trilogy streamline the artifact collecting at the end of the game?

Its funny, that and the collectathon at the end of Wind Waker threw me off of both games on the Cube, when they came out... And now collectathon is hailed as massive amounts of content instead of the filler it really is.
Nope, no streamlining. You don't have to do all the collecting at the end of the game, though, and you can pick the artifacts up as you make progress if you already know their locations.

Prime 2 is far worse. Far, far, far worse. You basically can't get half the collectibles until the end of the game, and you need a power-up to even see them, and the hints to find them are fucking ridiculous.

Prime 3 easily has the best implemented fetch quest. The way you unlock progress to the final level is really cool.

Prime 2 is far worse. Far, far, far worse. You basically can't get half the collectibles until the end of the game, and you need a power-up to even see them, and the hints to find them are fucking ridiculous.

Prime 2's hints are just as specific as Prime 1's, the only difference being that you have to grab the key in the dark world version of the room it gives you.

ohlawd

.... I liked Prime 2's fetch quest the most.

lol Prime 3 has the easiest but on my second run of the game (about 7 years after launch so I pretty much forgot everything about the game), I fucked up and didn't have enough cells. I explored that place last thing because there's no point going there when you don't have all upgrades. And the thing is, you don't need to get all of the cells. I needed just one more and I got pretty mad that I had to take one minute to run back to Samus' ship and look for another one.

If I were to emulate the Trilogy version, I would most likely just use the mouse and play it like a true first person shooter.

next best alternative than a pad, fair enough

Toxi

Banned
Prime 2's hints are just as specific as Prime 1's, the only difference being that you have to grab the key in the dark world version of the room it gives you.
The problem is that the clues are found on the bodies of Luminoth scattered throughout the game instead of at the Sky Temple entrance, so you have to find the clues first before you know which rooms you must search the Dark Aether counterparts of.

NewGame

Banned
Okay so

I just downloaded the Trilogy...

Does this thing carry your save file from the Wii physical version over?

Okay because for some reason a bunch of stuff is unlocked and I have a Metroid Prime 1 save file in slot 1 that has 23% complete.

When I load it I have all major upgrades up to the
phazon
suit and half of the chozo artifacts. I have 1 additional energy tank and 10 missiles.

I remember playing the trilogy here and there but I never remember doing anything like this. Also the log book is weird... there's things missing and I am a scan freak.

I think my data was corrupted or something. idk it seems pretty weird.

ohlawd

The problem is that the clues are found on the bodies of Luminoth scattered throughout the game instead of at the Sky Temple entrance, so you have to find the clues first before you know which rooms you must search the Dark Aether counterparts of.

the average person should have scanned all bodies without even needing to look at the Sky Temple clues

you pass by all of them as you play

wow

I honestly thought all of the key data was added to your logbook after scanning the Luminoth at the Sky Temple entrance since she had some kind of "telepathic link" with them or something.. Didn't know that many of the Luminoth I was scanning throughout the game were giving them to me (wasn't reading the logs).

:l

KingV

Nope, no streamlining. You don't have to do all the collecting at the end of the game, though, and you can pick the artifacts up as you make progress if you already know their locations.

Prime 3 easily has the best implemented fetch quest. The way you unlock progress to the final level is really cool.

Nintendo is the most consistent developer by far, but man they do like their fetch quests. IMO its needless padding... But at least there's YouTube now. It was hard as hell figuring some of them out by some guys Gamefaqs description back in the day.

McNum

Roll under them and drop bombs.

Sheegoth's scan indicated that its underbelly was vulnerable so I would roll under her in morph ball and plant bombs which seemed to hurt it.
Ah, I didn't really see it flash red when I tried that. Then it stepped on me for way too much damage. I've never been good at the sneaky Morph Ball footbombing. Well, in any case. Samus 1, Sheegoth 0.

Now to figure out where there's a purple door I missed. And shooting those energy things... because I can.

Toxi

Banned
the average person should have scanned all bodies without even needing to look at the Sky Temple clues

you pass by all of them as you play
Yeah. I guess that was the intent, since A-Kul's clues were basically just name-dropping to remind you of those scans.

I do think it's a really interesting way to set up the hints, but it's a pain in the ass if you haven't scanned them all.

Kjellson

I love how everything that is already scanned is green in Prime 2. Makes it much more smoother if you want to scan everything.

Verger

Banned
I love how everything that is already scanned is green in Prime 2. Makes it much more smoother if you want to scan everything.
They definitely did a nice overhaul of the scanning between 1 and 2 to make it more easier to judge items that have and haven't been scanned. Prime 1's visual scanning indicators are kind of crude by comparison.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Thanks rich for the link to the wikia.

I'm sure you could have done the same thing I had to do just now to give you the link and google "prime trilogy original differences" which results in the first hit being: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-MldXzMsNQ and text rundowns: http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Metroid_Prime_Trilogy#Additions_and_changes http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Metroid_Prime_version_differences and this video showing how the opening movie of Prime 1 is cropped in the Trilogy version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niAvc2YKEUc

I didn't because I always remember about it when I'm at work and have limited access. Thanks for the reply and research :)

edit: damn, Prime's is the one to have received the short end of the stick. Even the water ripples... tho I get the problem with the handcannon's fx, they were such a big part of how unique they looked, too bad. Luckily at least Echoes didn't suffer the same fate.
I'm also a bit pissed they didn't put the respective missing themes in the gallery.

Okay so

Yes it does. At least if you're using the same Mii, maybe even if you're not but I'm not sure.

Also the log book is weird... there's things missing and I am a scan freak.

Apparently they fucked up the logbook by modifying some scan entries for the Trilogy and as a result it can have missing stuff or a different entry to the one you've effectively scanned.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I just run past them, lol. I don't find fighting them very fun.
Have I mentioned I don't like the combat in this game? haha

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I spent 2 more hours on Prime last night, so good.

For a game that relies so much on exploration, the quickness and fluidity of pointer controls adds a lot to the experience. Prime on GC was way more "rigid". I want the next Metroïd to be built upon this nunchuck/wiimote set up, one of the rare case I'd be even ok to sacrifice off TV for it.

For a game that relies so much on exploration, the quickness and fluidity of pointer controls adds a lot to the experience. Prime on GC was way more "rigid". I want the next Metroïd to be built upon this nunchuck/wiimote set up, one of the rare case I'd be even ok to sacrifice off TV for it.

Really? the controls are what made me not finish Corruption. I guess it's me then. I also hated the controls on Skyward Sword

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

I've grown to love pointer controls, but I'd still rather have normal dual analog controls like any other first person game. Move on left stick, look on right stick.

Really? the controls are what made me not finish Corruption. I guess it's me then. I also hated the controls on Skyward Sword
I felt the same way, but then I tried the advanced sensitivity. After a few hours it felt totally natural.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I've grown to love pointer controls, but I'd still rather have normal dual analog controls like any other first person game. Move on left stick, look on right stick.

I felt the same way, but then I tried the advanced sensitivity. After a few hours it felt totally natural.
You can't look nearly as fast with dual analog controls. In a game that relies so much on constantly looking everywhere (including vertically), what do you prefer in dual analogs to compensate that?

TheMoon

Okay so

Okay because for some reason a bunch of stuff is unlocked and I have a Metroid Prime 1 save file in slot 1 that has 23% complete.

When I load it I have all major upgrades up to the
phazon
suit and half of the chozo artifacts. I have 1 additional energy tank and 10 missiles.

I remember playing the trilogy here and there but I never remember doing anything like this. Also the log book is weird... there's things missing and I am a scan freak.

If you had read the OP, you'd know.

Yes, digital Wii games use the exact same saves as if you had put in a disc.

Why did Retro tie some of the MP3 unlockables to online interaction?

Read OP for workaround.

I've never owned the Trilogy, nor do I plan to, as I have all the original games. Is the Hypermode difficulty setting not unlocked until beating each game? If not, I have a hard time understanding why people think "Normal" is indeed "Normal." Difficulty settings are relative. Normal is the one in the middle, regardless of what it is called.

I've never owned the Trilogy, nor do I plan to, as I have all the original games. Is the Hypermode difficulty setting not unlocked until beating each game? If not, I have a hard time understanding why people think "Normal" is indeed "Normal." Difficulty settings are relative. Normal is the one in the middle, regardless of what it is called.

Hypermode isn't unlocked until you beat the game. When you start, the only two options are Normal and Veteran.

Hypermode isn't unlocked until you beat the game. When you start, the only two options are Normal and Veteran.

Ahh, I see why it would be confusing to people then. They should have had normal be how it was in the original games and added an easy mode rather instead of normal being easy and veteran being normal.

wrowa

Lol, I had no clue that they've changed the difficulty settings. That explains why I never lost more than a single energy tank during my whole MP1 playthrough... I started to think that my past me just sucked beyond belief.

Ahnez

Lol, I had no clue that they've changed the difficulty settings. That explains why I never lost more than a single energy tank during my whole MP1 playthrough... I started to think that my past me just sucked beyond belief.

I agree :p The difference between Normal and Veteran/Hyper Mode is very noticeable

Phazon Mines on Hyper Mode is very.. frustrating fun :p

Oh okay, thanks for the information. :)

And yeah, I've always wanted to play the series, and I guess this is as good of chance as any to do so.

Before starting, download a save with friend credits already unlocked, as its impossible to get those now. :)

Grief.exe

The Dark World in Prime 2 is a dangerous place. Had to alt-tab and recharge my energy reserves as I went exploring down a dead end.

Micken

Banned
I just gotta get something off my chest... Slight MP2 spoilers:
The dark pirates that phase in and out of existence are just the worst idea ever in the history of game design. Unless I'm missing something, it's impossible to skip these guys, as they lock the doors until they decide to leave, and it's like, impossible to kill them since they're always dodging your attacks. I just want to punch something whenever they show up.

However, I love the floating orange sentry drone things in the sanctuary. The way they shut down your suit's operating system is really cool and immersive.

ohlawd

The dark pirates that phase in and out of existence are just the worst idea ever in the history of game design. Unless I'm missing something, it's impossible to skip these guys, as they lock the doors until they decide to leave, and it's like, impossible to kill them since they're always dodging your attacks. I just want to punch something whenever they show up.

However, I love the floating orange sentry drone things in the sanctuary. The way they shut down your suit's operating system is really cool and immersive.

Charge your dark beam then use a missile. dark visor it up too

Dimmle

There's something about Metroid Prime, man. Just an inexpressible quality that it achieves to such a degree that I'm not sure any other game has. It has problems but somehow they just don't matter.

Verger

Banned
I think the fact that they thought of using Samus' visor as a game mechanic was definitely an example of sheer design brilliance because it is those visors that really open up gameplay possibilities in the normally "basic" FPS style of play. From the Scan visor's mechanic of lore building to the IR visor and detecting heat signatures or the X-Ray visor to see things normally unseen, and then you can combine those visors with different weapons to create puzzles and enemies.

Ahnez

Any enemy that can "phase out of existence" can be seen with the Dark Visor. This includes adult Ings

And yes, the
Rezbit
is one of the best enemies of the trilogy :)

TheMoon

I think the fact that they thought of using Samus' visor as a game mechanic was definitely an example of sheer design brilliance because it is those visors that really open up gameplay possibilities in the normally "basic" FPS style of play. From the Scan visor's mechanic of lore building to the IR visor and detecting heat signatures or the X-Ray visor to see things normally unseen, and then you can combine those visors with different weapons to create puzzles and enemies.

"Yo, Retro Studios. What if Samus could take off her head ...and put on a head with bug eyes?"
miyamoto-crazyqwxt9.jpg

mpscoreu2a4u.jpg

"Never question me."
crazy-miyamotowel5t.jpg

Azure J

Sometimes I wish I were a random dev within Nintendo, high enough up the food chain to sit in on multiple design meetups/conferences just to hear the kind of stuff they would propose before they go on to be stuff as big as this. :lol

We'd probably expect all this technical jargon and specific references to life or other media and they'd be like "so we got these squid girls that'll fire ink at each other", "I got these action figures beating each other up jumping up and down platforms on a table", "remember bug collecting? what if you could also fight with bugs you collect and the bugs were other animals as well?", etc.

Verger

Banned
It's truly amazing how one can truly gleam what Miyamoto is really talking about. I could imagine other devs not understanding what he meant. But figures it would of course have origins in Mr. Miyamoto's mind.
Even if anyone missed the $10 deal, it's totally worth $20. Buy this game!
It's still $10 for today. Still time! :)

Dimmle

Can someone tell me why Samus's gun doesn't freeze over when she charges her ice beam in the Trilogy? Please console me.

Agreed completely. Echoes has quite a few things that annoy me, but those assholes are #1. And yes, the Rezbits are awesome!

Verger

Banned
Can someone tell me why Samus's gun doesn't freeze over when she charges her ice beam in the Trilogy? Please console me.
From what I understand, those VFX were done kind of in a way where it was a simple screen overlay effect on top of the gun, because the gun never "moved" it was always in a static position on screen. In the Trilogy with the new controls, the gun moves, so those effects would not work. And I guess there was no time or easy way for them to recreate them where they would work with the new moving gun.

About the Dark Pirates in Echoes. I had no problems with them that I recall since I used the Echo Visor to find them.

Dimmle

From what I understand, those VFX were done kind of in a way where it was a simple overlay effect on top of the gun, because the gun never "moved" it was always in a static position on screen. In the Trilogy with the new controls, the gun moves, so those effects would not work. And I guess there was no time or easy way for them to recreate them where they would work with the new moving gun.

This makes a lot of sense but I'm still sad.

Thank you.

Verger

Banned
IT DOESN'T!? FFFFFF

Wait-- Does that mean Prime 2's Dark Beam doesn't get those Cthulhu tentacles when you charge it either??
I haven't played it yet to check. The sites I've visited listing the differences only seemed to single out Prime 1 as the game where those type of Beam effects had to be removed.

DKHustlin

mp2 echoes had its share or problems, but i cant defend the fetch quest at the end. some of the guys you run by definitely, but some you never do, so you have to hunt for them with those cryptic clues, which woullllllld be cool except then you have to switch worlds once you find them. its needless. i liked the idea of it but they couldve made it better or more interesting. some of the spots where they are hidden are definitely cool, but having to go to the darkworld is completely needless for each key.

also, prime 2 had some odd pacing, still a good game, but weakest of the three. it was fairly challenging tho on veteran, which is one of the reasons i stuck it through

It's truly amazing how one can truly gleam what Miyamoto is really talking about. I could imagine other devs not understanding what he meant. But figures it would of course have origins in Mr. Miyamoto's mind.

It's still $10 for today. Still time! :)

To be fair, he probably literally wanted her to put on a bug head.

Top Bottom