• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

Lunar15

Can someone tell me why Samus's gun doesn't freeze over when she charges her ice beam in the Trilogy? Please console me.

It's the same reason they changed the swimming mechanics in MM3D, Nintendo is now made of bitter old men who resent your youth and are therefore trying to utterly cripple your precious childhood memories.

Madao

IT DOESN'T!? FFFFFF

Wait-- Does that mean Prime 2's Dark Beam doesn't get those Cthulhu tentacles when you charge it either??

I haven't played it yet to check. The sites I've visited listing the differences only seemed to single out Prime 1 as the game where those type of Beam effects had to be removed.

Metroid Prime 2's beam effects are intact in trilogy. only mp1 had effects removed.

i don't know why so many people assume that mp2 was downgraded too. all it does is prove that no one actually played the game to check.

mp2 echoes had its share or problems, but i cant defend the fetch quest at the end. some of the guys you run by definitely, but some you never do, so you have to hunt for them with those cryptic clues, which woullllllld be cool except then you have to switch worlds once you find them. its needless. i liked the idea of it but they couldve made it better or more interesting. some of the spots where they are hidden are definitely cool, but having to go to the darkworld is completely needless for each key.

also, prime 2 had some odd pacing, still a good game, but weakest of the three. it was fairly challenging tho on veteran, which is one of the reasons i stuck it through

No way man Prime 2 was the best, Corruption was the weakest.

I haven't played the games in a while, holding out till I get a much bigger TV, but I think the boss fights in Echoes were the best, following by he first game.

Metroid Prime 2's beam effects are intact in trilogy. only mp1 had effects removed.

Thank you.

i don't know why so many people assume that mp2 was downgraded too. all it does is prove that no one actually played the game to check.

Yeah, I never played it because it was crazy expensive and rare, and I already had all three games so there wasn't a dire need to get it. I heard about the Ice Beam's effects being removed just now so I was curious if the same thing happened with a very similar effect in the same disc. That's why I asked instead of assuming it was gone.

I am confused, but still flattered that you think just me equates to "so many people".

Verger

Banned
Corruption does have the falling Meta Ridley battle though. Point to Corruption!
Corruption has that, Bryyo Lore, Elysia (the whole place is breathtaking), The Valhalla and the (at the time) unexpected
Space Pirate Homeworld
. The only negatives people cite are the involvement of the Federation and the other Bounty Hunters, but they're barely around to really get bothered by them.

It was no slouch in offering plenty of memorable moments.

Actually, I take that back. The first two have awesome boss battles. These games are desperately in need of a boss battle mode after you complete the game. I'd have loved to have gone back and fight skme bosses again.

Is playing through the
crashed frigate
in Prime 1 necessary? Earlier while playing, I went through it, and came out in an area I had already been in, I can't remember the exact name, but it was a tree place. I enjoyed the area it I'm just wondering if it is optional.

ohlawd

Is playing through the
crashed frigate
in Prime 1 necessary? Earlier while playing, I went through it, and came out in an area I had already been in, I can't remember the exact name, but it was a tree place. I enjoyed the area it I'm just wondering if it is optional.

yeah you gotta go through it to reach a new area which has new power ups and stuff

Fandangox

Well, I splurged and bought it today. Never played any of the Prime games - it's downloading now. Hope they are as good as I've heard!

227839420.gif

Verger

Banned
Danngggg... Excited now. :)

lol, wtf. They better be super amazing! :p
Well, it depends what you expect. If you think this will be a run-and-gun, balls-to-the-wall-action, epic-cinematic-setpiece driven game then you may be disappointed. It's hard to describe because the game is filled to the brim with setpieces which are epic, but it's a completely different feel than what the "mass market AAA" developers churn out in that category.

It's a game you're meant to take your time with, or rather, don't feel rushed.

Well, it depends what you expect. If you think this will be a run-and-gun, balls-to-the-wall-action, epic-cinematic-setpiece driven game then you may be disappointed. It's hard to describe because the game is filled to the brim with setpieces which are epic, but it's a completely different feel than what the "mass market AAA" developers churn out in that category.

That sounds really awesome to me. I don't want to feel rushed... I want to just explore and take my time with the game(s).

Kaiser_Glider

Neo Member
Danngggg... Excited now. :)

lol, wtf. They better be super amazing! :p

Well they are super amazing! Just depends on what you're expecting I guess.

dude was second guessing himself

I don't think he deserves to play these games :p

Was he, now? Well he went ahead and bought them anyways, so he gets points for taking the plunge. :p

Definitely agree. The games are of course filled with epic set pieces, but the entire worlds are amazing in their design and details that really taking the time to absorb it all is a must, in my opinion.

Ahnez

Well, I splurged and bought it today. Never played any of the Prime games - it's downloading now. Hope they are as good as I've heard!

I will quote myself from the last page:

Before starting, download a save with friend credits already unlocked, as its impossible to get those now. :)

This is important, as its impossible to get those credits (one kind of currency) now. You could only get them online, but the servers were shut down in 2013

And, without those, you can't unlock all extras.

Have fun :)

linkboy

I have the disc version and still bought the digital version just because it's to good of a deal to pass up.

Plus it's less of a pain in the ass to launch it digitally.

Madao

Thank you.

Yeah, I never played it because it was crazy expensive and rare, and I already had all three games so there wasn't a dire need to get it. I heard about the Ice Beam's effects being removed just now so I was curious if the same thing happened with a very similar effect in the same disc. That's why I asked instead of assuming it was gone.

I am confused, but still flattered that you think just me equates to "so many people".

sorry if it came off like that but i've had to deal with tons of people that assumed that and, at some point the patience limit kinda breaks.

you could say that this re-release was the straw that broke the camel's back regarding this. sometimes i wish they had put effort and kept the effects in mp1.

Madao

Is playing through the
crashed frigate

normally it is necessary but there's a way to skip it.

it's too complicated for first timers.

I will quote myself from the last page:

This is important, as its impossible to get those credits (one kind of currency) now. You could only get them online, but the servers were shut down in 2013

And, without those, you can't unlock all extras.

Have fun :)

Oh, do you know where I could find a save file with those? Although to be honest, I probably won't be trying to unlock everything in the games. Hmm...

Is it possible to backtrack to previous areas in the game or do they get locked out after you beat them?

Ahnez

Oh, do you know where I could find a save file with those? Although to be honest, I probably won't be trying to unlock everything in the games. Hmm...

Is it possible to backtrack to previous areas in the game or do they get locked out after you beat them?

Here.

You can go back to almost every area. So items are not missable, but scans are

edit:

A little PSA for everyone getting this tomorrow:

Prime Trilogy comes with a huge Extras section where you can spend various types of "credits" (badges earned by doing stuff in the Prime games) to unlock things. One type of credit, however, cannot be earned ever since the game's online/social component was shut down in 2013.

I recommend going here and using the save that has 15 Friend Credits on all the otherwise-empty save files. That makes it possible to unlock all the content in MPT, including the screenshot tool, dioramas, and the cosmetic stuff for Samus's ship in Corruption.

Other than that, enjoy! This is likely the best ten bucks you'll spend in a long time.
1. Rename downloaded save to "data.bin"

2. Paste the save into this folder on the SD Card (create these folders if you don't have them)
private/wii/title/r3me ["r3me" is for the NTSC version, not sure what the game ID is for other regions]

3. On the Wii U, transfer from the SD Card to the Wii memory

Sucks about the friend vouchers but this is pretty smart.

From the OP

Kaiser_Glider

Neo Member

Some areas, creatures and stuff like that are one-time scans and events, but they're definitely not as many as you think.

TheMoon

Read the OP. It's ALL in there.

Here.

You can go back to almost every area. So items are not missable, but scans are

Great, thanks! :)

Some areas, creatures and stuff like that are one-time scans and events, but they're definitely not as many as you think.

Gotcha. I'll probably be scanning a lot anyways, lol. But I'm not really trying to 100% them on my first playthrough so I'm not going to stress over getting everything.

Christine

Is playing through the
crashed frigate

That's Great Tree Hall. You find an elevator to the top of that room at the same time as you find the elevator that gets you access to the frigate. Once you go through the frigate you use a spinner in the lower portion that opens a gate between the bottom and top halves of the room, allowing access to Phazon Mines.

What *is* optional is
going into the frigate before you get the Gravity Suit.
I'm working on a longer post about this segment and how it's one of the best pieces of level design in all of gaming, but suffice to say that Retro put a hefty amount of work into a completely skippable section because their grasp of play psychology was so adept that they knew almost everybody would play through it even though it is essentially a diversion or red herring.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That's Great Tree Hall. You find an elevator to the top of that room at the same time as you find the elevator that gets you access to the frigate. Once you go through the frigate you use a spinner in the lower portion that opens a gate between the bottom and top halves of the room, allowing access to Phazon Mines.

What *is* optional is
going into the frigate before you get the Gravity Suit.
I'm working on a longer post about this segment and how it's one of the best pieces of level design in all of gaming, but suffice to say that Retro put a hefty amount of work into a completely skippable section because their grasp of play psychology was so adept that they knew almost everybody would play through it even though it is essentially a diversion or red herring.

I used to always forget that. Then I'd be at the wrong place without the right powerup and be like "... aw damn. ALL the way back to Phendrana."

Christine

I think the fact that they thought of using Samus' visor as a game mechanic was definitely an example of sheer design brilliance because it is those visors that really open up gameplay possibilities in the normally "basic" FPS style of play. From the Scan visor's mechanic of lore building to the IR visor and detecting heat signatures or the X-Ray visor to see things normally unseen, and then you can combine those visors with different weapons to create puzzles and enemies.

This is a huge thing for me, too. The Shrieker from Echoes is a good example; the first time I ran into those things I hit total immersion. The visor wasn't just an interface I was using as a player, it was technology that I was using to survive and it was being defeated by countermeasures.
It's also a huge hint about existence of the Echo Visor!

pulga

Banned
Stupid question time, but let me present the facts first:

1) I bought a EU Wii U while living in Italy
2) But now I'm back in America
3) Can't plug in my Wii U at the moment because I don't have the wall charger adaptor
3AQmK.gif

4) I desperately need to buy this TODAY before the discount is over

So, I reckon there's two options:

A) Is there somewhere I can buy a EU download code online? I've only found the NA store.
B) Can I buy a NA download code and redeem it on my EU Wii U?

Thanks!!

TheMoon

So, I reckon there's two options:

A) Is there somewhere I can buy a EU download code online? I've only found the NA store.
B) Can I buy a NA download code and redeem it on my EU Wii U?

Thanks!!

No to both.

B being a no should be obvious because no platform other than steam or origin will allow that.

My biggest issue with Corruption is that its intro is so slow compared to Prime 1 and 2. Then when things pick up, I find that the action goes on too long. The game only becomes fucking great after landing on Bryyo, while the first two are amazing from the start imo.

Kjellson

It's pretty funny that when I was a kid I had the biggest problems with Chykka, must have died hundreds of times. I just beat it and just before I was really nervous of how hard it would be, but I just cakewalked through the whole thing.

My biggest issue with Corruption is that its intro is so slow compared to Prime 1 and 2. Then when things pick up, I find that the action goes on too long. The game only becomes fucking great after landing on Bryyo, while the first two are amazing from the start imo.

Funny, Corruption's intro is the only one I actually find fun to play... Seeing the Hunters do battle with the pirates as you tunnel through morphball passages, seeing Ridley fly through the sky as you make your way to through Norian, only to have him attack you out of the darkness later, Rundas coming to your rescue, Gandrayda mimicking you... AMAZING visual storytelling and great action moments. Prime's and Echoes were fun on the first playthrough, but whenever I replay them I'm just anxious to get to Tallon/Agon.

TheMoon

I agree, but I already played and beat them all to death back in the day. I'd rather put $20 towards games I haven't played yet!

Well then you're also not fucked since you played them already. :D

I understand it sucks to miss the 9.99 deal but there's simply no way around it unless you can find a power plug in the next few hours.

Timeaisis

Just beat Metroid Prime. :)
His second form was easier than I remember. First form gave me for trouble, tbh.

Kinda sad I can't start MP2 today. I mean, I could, but Majora's Mask comes out in a week and I'd really like to be fully invested in the game I'm playing. And I've heard horror stories about coming back to MP2 after even a few days of not playing...like yo you have no idea where you are or what you are doing lol. Definitely don't want that.

I'll probably go back to the trilogy after I finish MM.

Jagsrock

Banned
Wow, its been so long since I last played prime and its crazy how well it holds up. The intro level is amazing and really gets your adreniline pumping. Wii-mote controls are the G.O.A.T and the atmosphere is just so perfect. Truly a masterpiece, especially when you consider it took a series into a completely different genre and still managed to stay true to the source and deliver amazing gameplay on the first try. My god, Nintendo throw us a damn bone and make another one of these games.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The level design in echoes is so fucking smooth. I love the way they introduce the dark and light weapons as you loop around the area.

dLMN8R

God, touching down on Tallon IV immediately rush in so many waves of nostalgia.

I immediately went back to when I first played Metroid Prime. Just seeing the Tallon overworld, with its 4-5 doors gleaming in the distances, begging me to explore.

Having always been such a massive fan of Super Metroid, doubtful that Retro could pull it off, the second I saw and started exploring that overworld I knew they somehow pulled it off.

Such a treat to go back to it all these years later.

Verger

Banned
Funny, Corruption's intro is the only one I actually find fun to play... Seeing the Hunters do battle with the pirates as you tunnel through morphball passages, seeing Ridley fly through the sky as you make your way to through Norian, only to have him attack you out of the darkness later, Rundas coming to your rescue, Gandrayda mimicking you... AMAZING visual storytelling and great action moments. Prime's and Echoes were fun on the first playthrough, but whenever I replay them I'm just anxious to get to Tallon/Agon.
Wow, I thought I was the only one who enjoyed Corruption's Intro. I absolutely didn't mind checking into the GFS Olympus and scanning the environment and checking out the ship before the meeting with the Admiral and the Hunters.

And then it all goes to hell with the Pirate attack which you first have to repel on the ship and then on the planet. And of course that final climactic battle sequence
with that guy-who-cannot-fucking-die Ridley and then the appearance by Dark Samus
I thought was an amazing Intro. And right afterwards its back to the usual isolation being sent to Bryyo.

Top Bottom