• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

ohlawd

eh it's past 9 AM PST. game should be back to 19.99 now

someone turn on their Wii U to double check

edit: nvm you don't even need to check. I know it's back to 19.99 >_>

Verger

Banned
eh it's past 9 AM PST. game should be back to 19.99 now

someone turn on their Wii U to double check

edit: nvm you don't even need to check. I know it's back to 19.99 >_>
Blargh. I'm a moron. I got my timezones mixed up, lol.

Alright. I've updated the OP and graphics to reflect the Normal price point. All wording should show the Price as $19.99 or equivalent.

It's still a huge steal at that price.

Micken

Banned
Yes, they are annoying on first encounter, but they have a weakness that makes them extreme pushovers.
All you have to do is hit them with a charged dark beam shot which will "freeze" them and allow you to kill them instantly with either a missile or a charged light beam (I forget which).
. Once you figure this out they are simple to take out, but it's something the game doesn't really spell out for you. It's worth noting that the light beam isn't always the best weapon for dark enemies not the dark for light so experimentation is often rewarded.

:L Whoa, thanks! I'll try to remember this when I come up against them again. :3

Verger

Banned
I suppose if there is a kind of "low point" Metroid Prime that I've encountered it is the section after the first playthrough of the Phazon Mines where you are stopped from progressing at the Metroid pens due to not having the correct gear to move on and then have to backtrack through the facility and back out to the other areas of the Planet to obtain them.

However, Retro still did this well because on your backtracking journey you can now progress through places you couldn't reach before thanks to acquiring the Power Bombs after destroying the Central Dynamo (I loved the subtle lore in that place where the Dynamo Maintenance team was being afflicted by Phazon madness and disposed of as target practice for the Elite soldiers, and then any remaining ones abandoned their posts and no longer reported for duty which is why the Dynamo was malfunctioning, and why maintenance requests were rerouted to High Command).

I suppose this is a "low point" only by preference as many people no doubt savored the opportunity to do some exploring with your new abilities before pressing on with the main quest. I guess Prime was kind of "open-world" in these respects.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm loving the hell out of Echoes so far. I'm finding myself a little confused about the structure / flow of the game. I'm never quite sure where I'm supposed to go or what I'm supposed to do, but it usually works out anyways. I just got the space jump boots
I'm glad those are available earlier than in Prime 1
and now I'm in the part where
you come across a bunch of red Metroids in glass encasements, with a Space Pirate thrown in for food.
So awesome. I'm finding myself a lot more interested in the story than I was in my Prime playthrough, but that's because this is all totally new to me. I feel like the environments are a little dull, though not uninteresting. I just wish they had more color / plant life. I'm still early in the game tho.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm loving the hell out of Echoes so far. I'm finding myself a little confused about the structure / flow of the game. I'm never quite sure where I'm supposed to go or what I'm supposed to do, but it usually works out anyways. I just got the space jump boots
I'm glad those are available earlier than in Prime 1
and now I'm in the part where
you come across a bunch of red Metroids in glass encasements, with a Space Pirate thrown in for food.
So awesome. I'm finding myself a lot more interested in the story than I was in my Prime playthrough, but that's because this is all totally new to me. I feel like the environments are a little dull, though not uninteresting. I just wish they had more color / plant life. I'm still early in the game tho.

In general I think Prime 2 holds your hand less. I'm pretty sure hints take longer to pop up, and they aren't always as clear as Prime's. In both it basically says "you need to get here" but it's harder to figure out how exactly you get to that point in Prime 2.

Agon Wastes is a bit similar to Chozo Ruins I think, both are the first "main" area you get to explore once your journey starts and both are kind of brown and dusty. Torvus Bog will have some greenery and foliage for you though, somewhat reminiscent of Tallon Overworld. Sanctuary Fortress isn't really similar to anything in Prime 1 though.

In general I think Prime 2 holds your hand less. I'm pretty sure hints take longer to pop up, and they aren't always as clear as Prime's. In both it basically says "you need to get here" but it's harder to figure out how exactly you get to that point in Prime 2.

Agon Wastes is a bit similar to Chozo Ruins I think, both are the first "main" area you get to explore once your journey starts and both are kind of brown and dusty. Torvus Bog will have some greenery and foliage for you though, somewhat reminiscent of Tallon Overworld. Sanctuary Fortress isn't really similar to anything in Prime 1 though.

For a mechanical location, Retro does a stunning job of making Sanctuary Fortress feel "alive".

Kittens, the basic structure is to visit the light world temple in an area to upgrade your translator. Then you have to find three temple keys in the dark world of that area. Finally, return to the dark world temple, take the energy, and transfer it to the light world temple. The actual structure isn't so cut and dry since you'll need to find power ups and unlock portals and routes in the dark world to find the keys, but hopefully that gives you a somewhat clearer picture of Echoes' high-level objectives.

Verger

Banned
As has been written, it is best to think of Prime 2 as having assumed the Player/User has already beaten Prime 1, and in that regard it excels at giving the returning user a much more challenging and complex experience.

That is why it stands out in the Trilogy. Prime 3 sort of had to return to being streamlined due to both the new Control scheme at the time and trying to gain new users.

And yeah, the Sanctuary Fortress is one of the pinnacles of Level Design and Aesthetic creativity in gaming. One can only imagine what an HD version of that place would look like :D

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

So far all the environments have looked more or less the same to me. There was a place called Temple Grounds (?) and now I'm in Agon Wastes, but they both just look like a lot of brown and grey to me. I'll be the first person to admit that I don't pay close attention to artistic nuances tho, haha.

And yeah, I'm not playing with hints on. I'll turn'em on if I really get stuck, but so far it's been fairly smooth, just not as obvious / linear as Prime was for me.

Kittens, the basic structure is to visit the light world temple in an area to upgrade your translator. Then you have to find three temple keys in the dark world of that area. Finally, return to the dark world temple, take the energy, and transfer it to the light world temple. The actual structure isn't so cut and dry since you'll need to find power ups and unlock portals and routes in the dark world to find the keys, but hopefully that gives you a somewhat clearer picture of Echoes' high-level objectives.
Cool, thanks!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Also: I'm really loving the Ing as enemies. I think the Space Pirates are quite a bit more fun to fight in Echoes, too.

Verger

Banned
Agon is a desert so yeah it is going to look very brown and not all that different from the Temple Grounds in some respects. The differences are more subtle until you progress to the other areas.

Soul Lab

It's really nice to see how fast the thread is moving. Metroid is alive!
I'm playing corruption atm for the first time. Really like the wiimote controls.

Still not sure what I want from Retro. New Metroid or something completely new. I'm also fine with new dkc. (why isnt retro big enough to handle 2 big projects at the same time? :( Retro is so good...)

TheMoon

It's really nice to see how fast the thread is moving. Metroid is alive!

Still not sure what I want from Retro. New Metroid or something completely new. I'm also fine with new dkc. (why isnt retro big enough to handle 2 big projects at the same time? :( Retro is so good...)

Shortly before Tropical Freeze came out, Miyamoto said they might finally be at a stage where they could handle two projects concurrently. So who knows, maybe that's a thing now.

I don't even have a Wii U yet but I went ahead and purchased this for when I get one next month. I did the same with the Gamecube adapter just as soon as GS started selling them again a couple of months ago.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Shortly before Tropical Freeze came out, Miyamoto said they might finally be at a stage where they could handle two projects concurrently. So who knows, maybe that's a thing now.

Aren't they only around 100 employees? That's not really big enough for two teams unless they are heavily outsourcing stuff.

K' Dash

if there's anyone who can make a 2D Metroid that isn't boring shit, it's Retro :3

but 3D if possible pls

cmWg8PA.gif

Ezalc

Going to use this thread to post this great fanart of metroid I found.

Who are the two aliens at the extreme ends does anybody know? I can't seem to remember them.

Also, I'm surprised that Metroid 2 hasn't been officially remade by Nintendo given the gigantic importance it has to the overall story of the series.

EDIT: I know there's the fan one being done, but seriously Nintendo should have been on top of that years ago. The fuck.

When I mentioned the dark souls comment I was refering to the difficulty, majora's mask is not a good comparison and Dark Souls borrowing from Metroid? I don't see it.

I know I was just joking around. What I meant though was

Ocarina ===> Majora
Prime ===> Echoes

The offbeat sequel kinda thang.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
That's awesome, haha. I actually just started a Metroid fan art twitter account last night cause I'm a big nerd. Yall should give it a follow if you want. Hope it's okay for me to mention it here, I checked the TOS and it seemed okay.

Kaiser_Glider

Neo Member
Anybody who disses Super Metroid threw a nuke to whatever ice they were on.

I don't usually mind people's different tastes in gaming and how they can differ from mine, but I'm agreeing with this. I'm sorry, ohlawd. 3:

Super Metroid is the best game of all-time.

Aren't they only around 100 employees? That's not really big enough for two teams unless they are heavily outsourcing stuff.

They're not, according to Kelbaugh, the president. He said they can do a big project and a small project. They're about 75 deep according to the TF credits, which wasn't enough for that, as they had more contractors working on it as well than ever before, plus Monster Games for the final six months of development.

They're not, according to Kelbaugh, the president. He said they can do a big project and a small project. They're about 75 deep according to the TF credits, which wasn't enough for that, as they had more contractors working on it as well than ever before, plus Monster Games for the final six months of development.

I wonder if a 2D Metroid could be considered a "small" project if it was paired down enough. I don't think anyone would expect mindblowing production values for something like that, just great design.

Ridley327

Well, Monster Games did help them out a bit on DKC:TF. I think that there was a ton of outsourcing on Prime 3, but I think that was mainly just for assets and not game design.

TheMoon

Well, Monster Games did help them out a bit on DKC:TF. I think that there was a ton of outsourcing on Prime 3, but I think that was mainly just for assets and not game design.

Nobody really outsources for game design. It's always assets. Maybe a separate mode (like multiplayer, see BioShock 2)

Dimmle

I can't believe I'm going to replay through each of these games.

Goddamn it, I have new shit to play, but none of it is as good as these ten year old games.

imae

Who are the two aliens at the extreme ends does anybody know? I can't seem to remember them.

The far left I think is a Starcraft Zerg Hydralisk, I recognize the far right one but can't quite place it...

Top Bottom