• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

Cømet

Banned
The far left I think is a Starcraft Zerg Hydralisk, I recognize the far right one but can't quite place it...

Definitely a hydralisk. Honestly don't know what the two on the right are!

Been playing MP2. God such a perfect game. The first fight with Dark Samus consolidates why this is my favourite Prime game. So hot.

K' Dash

I can't believe I'm going to replay through each of these games.

Goddamn it, I have new shit to play, but none of it is as good as these ten year old games.

I need to finish GTA5 and Unity and I said fuck it, lets play some real masterpieces.

I'm oddly really anxious to play Prime 3 but not for the normal reasons.

I want to weld.

I want to weld super badly. Just the notion of Samus focusing her beam to a single point and temperature to weld metal circuit boards is so ridiculously awesome and satisfying to do.

Ezalc

Cømet;150814847 said:
Definitely a hydralisk. Honestly don't know what the two on the right are!

The one knitting is one of the Ohm from Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind. A wonderful movie and even better manga.

Azure J

I'm oddly really anxious to play Prime 3 but not for the normal reasons.

I want to weld.

I want to weld super badly. Just the notion of Samus focusing her beam to a single point and temperature to weld metal circuit boards is so ridiculously awesome and satisfying to do.

This was honestly one of the coolest little mini-interactions in Prime 3. It certainly made the near climax of the Elysia arc
(Your escape pod just got fucked, please go into the tiny hatch below and fix the circuitry. You have 3 minutes before you and a rickshaw nuke make impact with a shield made of volatile material. Good luck. :p)
real tense for inexperienced me going in on the game the first time. :lol

I also feel like more could have been done with the grapple lasso. We needed more bosses with Echoes level complexity and Corruption's controls.

Verger

Banned
This was honestly one of the coolest little mini-interactions in Prime 3. It certainly made the near climax of the Elysia arc
(Your escape pod just got fucked, please go into the tiny hatch below and fix the circuitry. You have 3 minutes before you and a rickshaw nuke make impact with a shield made of volatile material. Good luck. :p)
real tense for inexperienced me going in on the game the first time. :lol

I also feel like more could have been done with the grapple lasso. We needed more bosses with Echoes level complexity and Corruption's controls.
This is kind of why I am sort of hoping that if they ever do make a Metroid Prime 4 that they will bring back the Wii Controls. I know it'll invite a lot of groaning from those who simply cannot stand the pointer system, but I really felt that those types of interactions are ripe for being expanded upon and adding further depth to the gameplay systems.

Honestly I feel pointer controls are much more promising for Metroid Prime-style gameplay than anything you can do with the Tablet thus far.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've grown to love pointer controls, but I wanna play in bed on the Gamepad, and a standard dual analog set up would be better for that. I'm cool with either option, ultimately. And I still think they could do some surprising, awesome things with the Gamepad.

Damn, missed the great deal. This is one of my problems with the Eshop, you try to purchase a game but since you don't have enough storage on your Wii U, the transaction will not go through.

Toxi

Banned
Damn, missed the great deal. This is one of my problems with the Eshop, you try to purchase a game but since you don't have enough storage on your Wii U, the transaction will not go through.
Oh no! Now instead of getting three of the best games ever made for $10, you have to get them for $20! :p

Man, it's insane that Nintendo put these at such a low price.

Couldn't you buy it on the online eShop which gives a download code after buying it?

Barring that, why not delete some old games and then just redownload them after reorganizing your data? I had to dump Wind Waker and Nintendo Land before I could download Trilogy.

Couldn't you buy it on the online eShop which gives a download code after buying it?

Barring that, why not delete some old games and then just redownload them after reorganizing your data? I had to dump Wind Waker and Nintendo Land before I could download Trilogy.

Depending on the region, the former may have been an option. However, the latter may not be depending on one's setup. If you're an owner of the Basic, 8 GB of space means there's no internal room in the fridge to clean for Trilogy. Fortunately, I have an external drive. But some may not. Honestly, I think it should just warn you that you don't have enough space and ask you if you're super duper sure you want to buy this game you can't play right now. But that's just me.

Azure J

This is kind of why I am sort of hoping that if they ever do make a Metroid Prime 4 that they will bring back the Wii Controls. I know it'll invite a lot of groaning from those who simply cannot stand the pointer system, but I really felt that those types of interactions are ripe for being expanded upon and adding further depth to the gameplay systems.

Honestly I feel pointer controls are much more promising for Metroid Prime-style gameplay than anything you can do with the Tablet thus far.

You're preaching to the choir with this one. Pointer controls are the one true casualty of last gen. Sucks that they got thrown onto the "waggle" bus and no one really saw their potential. Approximations just aren't the same as actively pointing.

Admodieus

I've fallen in love with the Wii controls after going into options and turning "lock on-free aim" off. Now it's the best of both worlds IMO - I have the regular free aiming when I'm running around and trying to open doors, but when I lock onto an enemy I don't have to worry about keeping the pointer on the target as well. Has significantly improved my enjoyment of the games.

I could play a MP4 with these controls but part of me wants to see what they could do with the GamePad. It would be perfect for scanning.

Golnei

I could play a MP4 with these controls but part of me wants to see what they could do with the GamePad. It would be perfect for scanning.

The gamepad or second screen setup would be the perfect way to integrate scanning into a 2D game without compromising pace; but I don't think the gamepad would have that much to offer compared to the pointer controls for something in 3D.

TheMoon

The gamepad or second screen setup would be the perfect way to integrate scanning into a 2D game without compromising pace; but I don't think the gamepad would have that much to offer compared to the pointer controls for something in 3D.

The gamepad's gyro controls work wonders for aiming, especially in first person. Pop-in Wind Waker HD and check out the bow aiming. Sticks and/or gyro + lock-on = MP4. Done.

All this talk of Prime made me salivate for another play through on hands down the best Metroid game ever (MP1). I don't own a WiiU yet so I dug up my MP1 Gamecube copy and am playing it on my Wii.

God has this game stood the test of time! I was wary that after more than a decade of playing modern FPS with dual analog controls that I wouldn't be able to go back to Prime's one stick GC controls but I was surprised it took me all of 5 seconds to get it again. With the exception of true widescreen and an HD cleanup there's nothing I wished this game had. It's so close to perfection it's ridiculous. The thing I thought I would have the most difficult time adjusting was the controls and it was a non issue.

The sequels are an entirely different matter (completed and owned all three but the only one I LOVE is the original. I hate Echoes. Corruption was very okay).

This only got me all the more hungry for a new 3D Metroid that's worth a damn. Other M deserves relegation as non cannon. It's been 8 years since 2007's MP3. It's time.

And yes, the new Metroid has a lot of potential of good Gamepad integration. And please give us the option for dual analog controls if we so wish for it. Wiimote-nunchuck and one stick GC controls are fine but I still think it doesn't beat dual analog.

And keep that lock on feature, of course!

Oh no! Now instead of getting three of the best games ever made for $10, you have to get them for $20! :p

Man, it's insane that Nintendo put these at such a low price.

Sorry if I was not clear about it but I will also buy MPT for $20.00 once I find an external storage that would allow me to download it. I just said that I missed the great deal. :p

The problem is that I live in a country not recognized by Nintendo so I cannot buy it on the web store because my credit card is not accepted.

Also, the internet speed here also sucks so I don't want to sacrifice DKC:TF which I always want to keep because of its size.

Depending on the region, the former may have been an option. However, the latter may not be depending on one's setup. If you're an owner of the Basic, 8 GB of space means there's no internal room in the fridge to clean for Trilogy. Fortunately, I have an external drive. But some may not. Honestly, I think it should just warn you that you don't have enough space and ask you if you're super duper sure you want to buy this game you can't play right now. But that's just me.

Totally agree. My post was just a criticism about that specific kink of the eshop. Nintendo should just let you buy a game you don't have sufficient disk space to download.

I'm going through the original game for the very first time, and after 4 hours of play (I just acquired the
space jump boots
), I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this is the best console first-person shooter ever made.

I know that's a big statement to make, and it hurts me to say it since I hold Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark, and (to an extent) the original Halo in such high regard, but this one is just so well-crafted and holds up so well today even despite being nearly 15 years old, I don't think any of those aforementioned games are even on the same level.

Although it doesn't have the epic multiplayer that those three games touted or the impressive AI and gunplay that helped make Halo's campaign such a joy to blast through, what it does have is excellent pacing, an interesting story that isn't shoved down your throat, awesome gadgets and abilities, huge boss battles, and some of the best level design I've ever seen in a console shooter. The sheer verticality of the levels has blown me away, and the game perfectly demonstrates that yes, platforming can be done well from a first-person perspective.

Adapting Super Metroid to a first-person perspective must have been such a tall task, but man did the guys at Retro Studios knock it out of the park with Metroid Prime. I just regret not playing this game many years ago when it first made its debut on the Gamecube. Each time I fire it up I can't help but ask myself, "Why can't we have more first-person shooters like this?"

K' Dash

I'm going through the original game for the very first time, and after 4 hours of play (I just acquired the
space jump boots
), I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this is the best console first-person shooter ever made.

I know that's a big statement to make, and it hurts me to say it since I hold Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark, and (to an extent) the original Halo in such high regard, but this one is just so well-crafted and holds up so well today even despite being nearly 15 years old, I don't think any of those aforementioned games are even on the same level.

Although it doesn't have the epic multiplayer that those three games touted or the impressive AI and gunplay that helped make Halo's campaign such a joy to blast through, what it does have is excellent pacing, an interesting story that isn't shoved down your throat, awesome gadgets and abilities, huge boss battles, and some of the best level design I've ever seen in a console shooter. The sheer verticality of the levels has blown me away, and the game perfectly demonstrates that yes, platforming can be done well from a first-person perspective.

Adapting Super Metroid to a first-person perspective must have been such a tall task, but man did the guys at Retro Studios knock it out of the park with Metroid Prime. I just regret not playing this game many years ago when it first made its debut on the Gamecube. Each time I fire it up I can't help but ask myself, "Why can't we have more first-person shooters like this?"

it brings a smile when I read posts like this from a first timer, just so you know, the game just gets better and better.

I started playing Echoes yesterday and holy shit, playing Prime and this back to back make the little improvements really shine. Samus is a 1000x more badass, that first fight with
Dark Samus
she's like "Come at me brah, I'll give you your arm cannon sandwich", so fucking cool.

The sequels are an entirely different matter (completed and owned all three but the only one I LOVE is the original. I hate Echoes. Corruption was very okay).

I'm not calling you out specifically, but I don't understand how so many people can love Prime but hate Echoes. I can understand not loving Corruption because it was so different, but Echoes was just more of Prime to me.

As far as I'm concerned, the only flaws in Echoes are:

- Too much key collecting. Having the upgrades function as keys is more interesting than having literal keys.

- The way Prime's areas were intricately connected in all sorts of ways was preferable to how Echoes has a central hub and three mostly independent areas.

- Dark Pirate Commandos are really annoying if you don't know the Dark Beam + Missile trick.

- Most of the upgrades are the same as the ones from Prime, and many of the ones that aren't are just reskinned Prime upgrades (Dark Beam = Ice Beam, Light Beam = Plasma Beam).

- The dark world can be a bit tough to navigate the first time through, especially early in the game before you get the Dark Suit. This isn't really a negative to me, but I can see how it could leave a negative impression on somebody.

- Agon Wastes is a really dull first area that doesn't leave a very good first impression. It could've at least had some nice music.

- Music isn't quite as amazing as Prime's.

And... that's it. I really can't think of anything else to not like about the game. The maze that is the world is still fun to explore. Items are fun to find and collect. Sanctuary Fortress might be the coolest area in the series (IMO it's between it and Elysia). Quadraxis might be the best boss in the series.

I don't know. I think the game is amazing. When it first came out, I couldn't afford it, so I played it on the demo kiosk at Gamestop every day. I made it to the Boost Guardian before I was finally able to get the game for myself and play it at home. I just don't get why it's such a widely accepted opinion that Echoes was a bad sequel.

Each time I fire it up I can't help but ask myself, "Why can't we have more first-person shooters like this?"

I don't get it either. The closest thing I can think of was the original Bioshock, but that came out 8 years ago and, in my opinion, didn't even come close to touching Prime.

With how many games copy stuff like Zelda and 2D Metroid, you'd think at least one game would've come along and copied Prime. The blueprint for an amazing game is right there, and Nintendo's not using it.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
space jump boots

I definitely consider it one of the most innovative shooters ever, and as a result, it really doesn't have a lot of competition in the space it's carved out for itself.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. It's a fucking masterpiece.

Toxi

Banned
What makes me sad playing the original Metroid Prime is that Nintendo didn't seem to realize what people enjoyed about it. Every single Metroid game since Prime has moved away from its formula, even though Prime was easily the most successful Metroid game since the series' revival. Fusion sells worse than Prime? Make Prime 2 more combat-focused and linear! Prime 2 sells worse? Make Prime 3 even more linear and add some obnoxious NPCs like Adam in Fusion. Echoes multiplayer is a dud? Metroid Prime Hunters! And don't even get me started on Other M, or the sloppy fixes to sequence breaks in Prime.

Why does Nintendo not want to do the type of Metroid game that was actually successful?

Rran

Whoa now... I wouldn't say Echoes is more linear than Prime 1. And regarding its multiplayer and Hunters--I felt Hunters greatly improved on the multiplayer (possibly the sole redeeming aspect of that game, aside from its impressive visuals (for a DS game)).

Why does Nintendo not want to do the type of Metroid game that was actually successful?

To be fair, Prime 1 intentionally evoked many elements from Super Metroid. Even if the different things they tried with the series weren't as successful, I think it's understandable that they wanted be slightly separate from Super (which in some ways was a redux of 1.)

Finished Prime 1! The in game timer was just under 11 hours. I ended up liking it a lot more than I anticipated. Where was the update for the Ice Beam? That was the only beam upgrade I never found. Quick little list of things I liked and disliked

+ Exploring the world
+ The controls
+ Movement besides the grapple beam
+ The music
+ The feeling of progression as you acquired more gear

- The combat. I tended to avoid it by the end
- Limited number of save points
- No ability to fast travel at all. I think it would have been nice to be able to warp between save points.

Enforced

Finished Prime 1! The in game timer was just under 11 hours. I ended up liking it a lot more than I anticipated. Where was the update for the Ice Beam? That was the only beam upgrade I never found. Quick little list of things I liked and disliked

+ Exploring the world
+ The controls
+ Movement besides the grapple beam
+ The music
+ The feeling of progression as you acquired more gear

- The combat. I tended to avoid it by the end
- Limited number of save points
- No ability to fast travel at all. I think it would have been nice to be able to warp between save points.
Somewhere in Magmoor Caverns. You have to destroy the glass surrounding the tunnel with the power bomb.

Golnei

The best situation for MP4 is, designed for Wiimote, but compatible with the Gamepad

The inverse of Tropical Freeze, in that case. Hopefully Retro retain the multiple control options in the event that they release another Wii U game.

- Agon Wastes is a really dull first area that doesn't leave a very good first impression. It could've at least had some nice music.

- Music isn't quite as amazing as Prime's.

I slightly preferred Echoes' soundtrack overall compared to Prime, but I agree that Agon Wastes' bland ambient track did no favours to the opening sections. Especially when put alongside the themes for Temple Grounds, Torvus Bog and Sanctuary Fortress; having something so forgettable in the first major area was an awful decision.

I wonder if a 2D Metroid could be considered a "small" project if it was paired down enough. I don't think anyone would expect mindblowing production values for something like that, just great design.

I doubt it. You know Retro would go all out for it, everything from the art to the animation to the gameplay, just as they did for the DK games. In no way were the DK games small projects just because they were 2D, and neither would Metroid be. I think if they were to do a 2D Metroid I think we would see a lot of the game design philosophies from their work on DK, IE visual storytelling and an extremely high density of gameplay per square inch.

Well, Monster Games did help them out a bit on DKC:TF. I think that there was a ton of outsourcing on Prime 3, but I think that was mainly just for assets and not game design.

The Staff actually grew quite a bit between Echoes and Corruption, but the studio got pretty decimated after Corruption. It wasn't just Pacini, Matthews, and Keller that left. It's a small miracle how well they were able to recover and deliver an extremely high quality game in DKCR.

Verger

Banned
space jump boots

Amazing first-impressions! I added yours to the OP :D

I particularly love your last point about the "verticality of the levels", something which seems to be anathema to modern FPS game design, where most level design is undertaken on a 2D top-down plane for the maps. Metroid Prime's super handy 3D map was critical in allowing for such grand design. They really took great care in ensuring that areas were interconnected well.
The Staff actually grew quite a bit between Echoes and Corruption, but the studio got pretty decimated after Corruption. It wasn't just Pacini, Matthews, and Keller that left. It's a small miracle how well they were able to recover and deliver an extremely high quality game in DKCR.
This is my biggest concern with creating a Metroid Prime 4. There are such high expectations on Retro, but the majority of the team which were at the helm for the Trilogy are gone. The names you mentioned, plus Bryan Walker moved on to other ventures.

Retro is certainly able of still crafting great games as the DKCR games both prove, particularly in creating aesthetically pleasing and cool level designs. So one would hope they'll be able to fill the shoes of their predecessors well.

Funny question. Is David Wise now full-time staff at Retro? What are the possibilities of him helping to compose another Metroid? :O

What makes me sad playing the original Metroid Prime is that Nintendo didn't seem to realize what people enjoyed about it. Every single Metroid game since Prime has moved away from its formula, even though Prime was easily the most successful Metroid game since the series' revival. Fusion sells worse than Prime? Make Prime 2 more combat-focused and linear! Prime 2 sells worse? Make Prime 3 even more linear and add some obnoxious NPCs like Adam in Fusion. Echoes multiplayer is a dud? Metroid Prime Hunters! And don't even get me started on Other M, or the sloppy fixes to sequence breaks in Prime.

You're seriously rewriting history here.

First off, you have to take into account why the first Metroid Prime sold so much better than most of the series: Many people thought it was going to be the Gamecube's Halo. The reason Echoes sold worse wasn't because it was a worse game, it was because a lot of the people who bought Prime got something that they didn't expect and didn't like it.

In fact, that's the entire reason Echoes had multiplayer to begin with. People complained that Prime wasn't the Gamecube's Halo with all its multiplayer stuff, so they added multiplayer in the sequel. And listening to people's complaints was also why Corruption turned out as linear and "streamlined" as it was, and why Corruption had voice acting and NPCs. People found Echoes too hard, so they made Corruption easier, and a common complaint back then was that Metroid had no voice acting, so they acted on that too.

Retro evidently doesn't like people sequence breaking their games. I can understand why that would upset speedrunners. But you know what? The vast majority of gamers aren't sequence breaking speedrunners. Sequence breaking isn't why Prime is so beloved. The lack of sequence breaking isn't why Echoes sold worse than Prime. If sequence breaking meant success, Zero Mission would be one of the best selling games in the series.

As for Hunters? I'm not really sure why it exists, but I'm glad it does. I think it's a pretty good game, even if it is one of the weaker Metroid games.

Toxi

Banned
You're seriously rewriting history here.

First off, you have to take into account why the first Metroid Prime sold so much better than most of the series: Many people thought it was going to be the Gamecube's Halo. The reason Echoes sold worse wasn't because it was a worse game, it was because a lot of the people who bought Prime got something that they didn't expect and didn't like it.
Where on Earth did you get the idea that Prime sold well because people expected it to be the Gamecube's Halo?

Prime had great critical and consumer reception at release. Prime 2 sold poorly for a number of reasons, but disappointment with Prime wasn't one of them.

This is my biggest concern with creating a Metroid Prime 4. There are such high expectations on Retro, but the majority of the team which were at the helm for the Trilogy are gone. The names you mentioned, plus Bryan Walker moved on to other ventures.

Retro is certainly able of still crafting great games as the DKCR games both prove, particularly in creating aesthetically pleasing and cool level designs. So one would hope they'll be able to fill the shoes of their predecessors well.

Funny question. Is David Wise now full-time staff at Retro? What are the possibilities of him helping to compose another Metroid? :O

They still have a lot of the Staff that worked on the Prime games, even back to the first Prime. For example, the original animation team is all still there, barring they didn't leave after Tropical Freeze. It's not as though they hire some shlubs though, and it's clear they've kept the same design philosophy even with all the changes in staff and venturing into other genres. And it's not as if they'd hire some shlubs.

It would be curious to hear Wise's take on Metroid, but Yamamoto made three Godly soundtracks so I would at least want him to be in a more active role than he was in the DK games.

McNum

Slowly advancing through Prime 1. Today, Thardus was slain. And I do love that last act of defiance it does in the cutscene. That pile of rocks has an amazing sense of comedic timing.

Thardus was much easier than I remember, but, well, with Lock-On Free Aim, that boulder toss attack is much less scary. Don't need to release the lock, just blast the boulders out of the sky with the Power Beam. Then toss a Super Missile Thardus' way to immediately end the current phase.

Went exploring after that, got the Wavebuster. So, I'm wondering. The game obviously wants me to go get the Ice Beam next, which is not a bad plan... But is there anything I should do first? Been spiderballing everywhere I could remember there was a track. Kind of wishing I had the Grapple Beam, but that's not for a while.

Toxi

Banned
Slowly advancing through Prime 1. Today, Thardus was slain. And I do love that last act of defiance it does in the cutscene. That pile of rocks has an amazing sense of comedic timing.

Thardus was much easier than I remember, but, well, with Lock-On Free Aim, that boulder toss attack is much less scary. Don't need to release the lock, just blast the boulders out of the sky with the Power Beam. Then toss a Super Missile Thardus' way to immediately end the current phase.

Went exploring after that, got the Wavebuster. So, I'm wondering. The game obviously wants me to go get the Ice Beam next, which is not a bad plan... But is there anything I should do first? Been spiderballing everywhere I could remember there was a track. Kind of wishing I had the Grapple Beam, but that's not for a while.
There are a lot of Spider Ball tracks.

If you haven't already, go back to Flaahgra's boss room.

Where on Earth did you get the idea that Prime sold well because people expected it to be the Gamecube's Halo?

Prime had great critical and consumer reception at release. Prime 2 sold poorly for a number of reasons, but disappointment with Prime wasn't one of them.

Because I was there? Because I was posting on message boards at the time, and I remember seeing tons of complaints around the internet such as:

"This game should have voice acting like Halo!"
"This game should have dual analog control like Halo!"
"This game should have vehicles like Halo!"
"This game should have multiplayer like Halo!"

Etc, etc.

A lot of people didn't do their research when they got the game. They just knew it was a heavily hyped Gamecube game, that the Gamecube was dying for games, and it had an orange Master Chief on the box.

You're acting like Echoes sold worse because it was critically panned or something. In reality, its reviews were universally positive. A 92 Metacritic score is nothing to scoff at, even if it's not quite Prime's 97.

McNum

There are a lot of Spider Ball tracks.

If you haven't already, go back to Flaahgra's boss room.
Huh, didn't think of revisiting that room. Well, it's not a big detour towards the Ice Beam, anyway, so I'll make sure to go have a look.

Because I was there? Because I was posting on message boards at the time, and I remember seeing tons of complaints around the internet such as:

"This game should have voice acting like Halo!"
"This game should have dual analog control like Halo!"
"This game should have vehicles like Halo!"
"This game should have multiplayer like Halo!"

Etc, etc.

A lot of people didn't do their research when they got the game. They just knew it was a heavily hyped Gamecube game, that the Gamecube was dying for games, and it had an orange Master Chief on the box.

You're acting like Echoes sold worse because it was critically panned or something. In reality, its reviews were universally positive. A 92 Metacritic score is nothing to scoff at, even if it's not quite Prime's 97.

This post makes me sad. It's people like that that cause the industry to go in shitty directions.

Top Bottom