• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

Golnei

Funny question. Is David Wise now full-time staff at Retro? What are the possibilities of him helping to compose another Metroid? :O

He's independent, but I'd love to see him return to their future projects. Though speaking of which, if she were still composing, I actually wouldn't have minded seeing what Eveline Fischer would have done for a Metroid soundtrack...

As for Hunters? I'm not really sure why it exists, but I'm glad it does. I think it's a pretty good game, even if it is one of the weaker Metroid games.

Hunters was a massive waste of potential. It was impressively functional as a tech demo on the DS, but its engine would have been capable of delivering something roughly equivalent to one of the Prime games if in the hands of more capable designers.

And considering Uprising worked relatively well, I wonder if perhaps in hindsight it might have been a better idea to offer an optional third-person mode as well; dropping Prime from the title so as to allow the game to exist as an entirely separate spinoff. Having a 'Metroid Hunters' series fill a similar niche to Mario Kart, Touch Kirby / ____ Curse or Hyrule Warriors might have had some positive effect on the overall franchise.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Prime 3 did have voice acting. I didn't feel it detracted particularly, the voice acting was largely well done. I'm unconvinced that Metroid is a series that particularly needs other characters, so the fact it had largely well done voice acting is more or less irrelevant, but it was present. Prime 3's controls are the best controls of any shooter I've had the pleasure of playing on a console and effortlessly superior to dual analogue, so that's a no. Vehicles would be somewhat pointless in Metroid - for a game about oppression and caverns and loneliness and forboding claustrophobia, vehicles would be tonally almost completely out of place.

Multiplayer, though... I genuinely think Metroid could have fantastic multiplayer. Control scheme aside (the Kid Icarus of its day), Hunters' multiplayer was actually really good fun and I think a proper console Metroid Prime with an online multiplayer with sufficient effort attached to it could be incredible. Samus has enough interesting abilities explored in the single-player you could go really inventive with the multi-player: have players switching between invisibility suits so you need to use the heat visor to detect them to heat-proof suits so you have to switch out, using morphballs to very quickly traverse from one side of the map to the other in a non-combative way allowing for dynamics of cat and mouse to emerge, if the single-player allowed for temporary cannon modifications you could do a whole host of interesting weapon drops allowing for specific counter-strategies and so on. It could be really good.

Prime 3 did have voice acting. I didn't feel it detracted particularly, the voice acting was largely well done. I'm unconvinced that Metroid is a series that particularly needs other characters, so the fact it had largely well done voice acting is more or less irrelevant, but it was present. Prime 3's controls are the best controls of any shooter I've had the pleasure of playing on a console and effortlessly superior to dual analogue, so that's a no. Vehicles would be somewhat pointless in Metroid - for a game about oppression and caverns and loneliness and forboding claustrophobia, vehicles would be tonally almost completely out of place.

Multiplayer, though... I genuinely think Metroid could have fantastic multiplayer. Control scheme aside (the Kid Icarus of its day), Hunters' multiplayer was actually really good fun and I think a proper console Metroid Prime with an online multiplayer with sufficient effort attached to it could be incredible. Samus has enough interesting abilities explored in the single-player you could go really inventive with the multi-player: have players switching between invisibility suits so you need to use the heat visor to detect them to heat-proof suits so you have to switch out, using morphballs to very quickly traverse from one side of the map to the other in a non-combative way allowing for dynamics of cat and mouse to emerge, if the single-player allowed for temporary cannon modifications you could do a whole host of interesting weapon drops allowing for specific counter-strategies and so on. It could be really good.

You had me until the multiplayer part. In no business does it belong in a proper Metroid game. You JUST said it yourself. It's a game about loneliness in an oppressive environment. If they want to make a spinoff multiplayer game that's fine, but in no way should it be at the cost of a proper Metroid campaign like it was in Hunters.

Kjellson

Apparently you can have 255 missiles in Echoes, but I only have 230 and it feels like I've been checking every room in the game but I still can't find the other five expansions. I hate it when that happens.

Golnei

You had me until the multiplayer part. In no business does it belong in a proper Metroid game. You JUST said it yourself. It's a game about loneliness in an oppressive environment. If they want to make a spinoff multiplayer game that's fine, but in no way should it be at the cost of a proper Metroid campaign like it was in Hunters.

If it's in addition to a full game, I don't have a problem with it; but if it's a choice between a Metroid game and an anemic shell of one built around a multiplayer mode, the former is always preferable. Still, the gameplay conceits of the series could make for relatively interesting multiplayer scenarios - for example, something similar to Smash Run / City Trial could fit Metroid's standard focus really well. Put everyone in a maze and have them find items on a timer while dealing with randomised events (bounties on specific boss enemies, acid rain, blackouts etc.); with a standard battle at the end. As a template, it's a reasonable way to reconcile the exploration that's central to the series with a competitive setting.

And even in a singleplayer-only game, introducing a small competitive element through MGS-esque timed VR missions that focus on the platforming, morphball puzzles or combat specifically would be a decent diversion.

Whoa now... I wouldn't say Echoes is more linear than Prime 1. And regarding its multiplayer and Hunters--I felt Hunters greatly improved on the multiplayer (possibly the sole redeeming aspect of that game, aside from its impressive visuals (for a DS game)).

I think all three Primes have about the same level of linearity. However, Echoes' structure is certainly the most rigid of the three. Enter area, visit temple, find three keys, go to dark temple, return to light temple, repeat x3. That's a super high level overview of what Echoes has to offer, I know, but both Prime and Corruption are more surprising games (Corruption a bit less so with the seeds on each planet, though the means to access them vary). After Agon Wastes, the player should pretty much know exactly how the rest of the game will play out.

The Staff actually grew quite a bit between Echoes and Corruption, but the studio got pretty decimated after Corruption. It wasn't just Pacini, Matthews, and Keller that left. It's a small miracle how well they were able to recover and deliver an extremely high quality game in DKCR.

Sounds like an inverse Infinity Ward situation (Retro recovered and made DKCR, while Infinity Ward made CoD Ghosts LOL). I thought it was just a few department leads that bailed for Armature.

Apparently you can have 255 missiles in Echoes, but I only have 230 and it feels like I've been checking every room in the game but I still can't find the other five expansions. I hate it when that happens.

My only complaint with Prime and my biggest complaint with Echoes is the lack of a way to see which rooms contain powerups. Would be massively helpful, especially in the latter. If you want 100%, you're pretty much gonna have to crank your audio up and sweep every room in the game, praying that you don't miss one.

Just got to the Phazon Mines...

44c33efab85ad085d886863b5e63b3c8e8318d7be046d79a29f5260b0480cf74.jpg

pupcoffee

Unfortunately I'm not enjoying Metroid Prime so far. I'm still very early in (last thing I unlocked was morph ball) but I dislike the whole key-item-finding/unlocking/backtracking schtick. It annoys me when I find a door in a random room that I can't unlock yet, because it just means here's yet another thing I'll have to backtrack to later through these same rooms, that are getting old quick. It's the constant use of this that is a pain. I don't want to get to the end of a sequence of obstacles and discover an entirely new environment, introduced w/cutscene and all, only to be told I can't open the front door yet and then get sent directly back.

The progression through this stuff doesn't really require any thought, at least at the beginning. It involves looking at the map and picking a random locked door to run back through boring rooms to, until I luck out and find something important to unlock something else, and so on.

The boss fights have been sort of interesting, but the combat sure is simple at the moment. The pointer controls are something that I'd like to see become standard in consoles but the actual gunplay is putting me to sleep.

McNum

Heh, go to Flaahgra's boss room you said. So I did.
GHOSTS!
Didn't think it was until later they'd appear. Ah well, if you're weak to Power Beams, the smart thing is to hover motionlessly in front of Samus when she's holding a Power Beam Charge and has more than five missiles left. So that's another Artifact down. Should probably go get the Ice Beam now.

Toxi

Banned
Unfortunately I'm not enjoying Metroid Prime so far. I'm still very early in (last thing I unlocked was morph ball) but I dislike the whole key-item-finding/unlocking/backtracking schtick. It annoys me when I find a door in a random room that I can't unlock yet because it just means here's yet another thing I'll have to backtrack to later through boring rooms. It's the constant use of this that is a pain. I don't want to get to the end of a sequence of obstacles and discover an entirely new environment, introduced w/cutscene and all, only to be told I can't open the front door yet and then get sent directly back.

The progression through this stuff doesn't really require any thought, at least at the beginning. It involves looking at the map and picking a random locked door to run back through boring rooms to, until I luck out and find something important to unlock something else, and so on.

The boss fights have been sort of interesting, but the combat sure is simple at the moment. The pointer controls are something that I'd like to see become standard in consoles but the actual gunplay is putting me to sleep.
Ideally you should be remembering landmarks so that you don't have to look at the map often.

Backtracking is a good time to pick up items you missed.

Soul Lab

Unfortunately I'm not enjoying Metroid Prime so far. I'm still very early in (last thing I unlocked was morph ball) but I dislike the whole key-item-finding/unlocking/backtracking schtick. It annoys me when I find a door in a random room that I can't unlock yet because it just means here's yet another thing I'll have to backtrack to later through boring rooms. It's the constant use of this that is a pain. I don't want to get to the end of a sequence of obstacles and discover an entirely new environment, introduced w/cutscene and all, only to be told I can't open the front door yet and then get sent directly back.

Thats what I love so much! I think Metroid Prime has the best "level" design ever. the whole world is like a big dungeon. Retro did an amazing job. I still have doubts that this level design was developed by human beings

Thats what I love so much! I think Metroid Prime has the best "level" design ever. the whole world is like a big dungeon. Retro did an amazing job. I still have doubts that this world was developed by human beings

Just wait til' you play Echoes ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

pupcoffee

Ideally you should be remembering landmarks so that you don't have to look at the map often.

I am remembering them, it's just the map shows you the length of what's beyond them, so I kind of pick the next door/rolling hole depending on which corridor I'm most interested in exploring next. It's tedious rather than fun for me, though.

Soul Lab

Fair enough, though I think the complexity of Echoes' level design dwarfs Prime's.

seems legit. Metroid Prime had more of a shock factor though. the transistion to 3d is one of the best in gaming history imo. (besides zelda or gta) It felt so natural/familiar and new at the same time

pupcoffee

Thats what I love so much! I think Metroid Prime has the best "level" design ever. the whole world is like a big dungeon. Retro did an amazing job. I still have doubts that this level design was developed by human beings

I do like it when games have design like this, but I suppose not when it's literally the point of the game.

I feel the way rooms are connected (in a big picture spectrum) rank kind of low on what's important in level design. I could care less if these levels were accessible via a Hub.

I do like it when games have design like this, but I suppose not when it's literally the point of the game.

I feel the way rooms are connected rank kind of low on what's important in level design.

Well, you could say that the thoughtfully interconnected world is the cherry on top of the majority of rooms containing something memorable and fun.

pupcoffee

Well, you could say that the thoughtfully interconnected world is the cherry on top of the majority of rooms containing something memorable and fun.

I'm sure I'll get to those soon.

Honestly though I wish I just had access to Super Metroid in 60hz, which (of what I played) felt a bit more guided. I usually felt like I was pushing down new path, unlike Metroid Prime, where there's a fair amount of backtracking and running around for non-major stuff happening quite frequently until I find somewhere that isn't designed like this.

Finally got lost after getting the thermal visor. Pulled out my old gamecube strategy guide. Turns out I just missed a hole I was supposed to go in with the morphball in a room I explored 3 times. OTL

Mariolee

I've read over the front page but I'm still not sure how to further optimize my viewing experience of the game. The screen is fuzzy and there are black bars surrounding the Wii screen. I realize it's mostly because of the 480 output and the fact that it's in secretly in Wii mode, but it bothers me a ton. A lot of users advised overscan, but I'm not sure how to turn that on in my Visio TV and after reading a few other comments online it seems that it is usually automatically on?

Help me GAF. I'm technologically illiterate. :(

Bl@de

So I decided to get this because I was always interested in the Prime series. I actually owned Metroid Prime on Gamecube. But I was 15 back then and thought "Booooring too much reading" and rather played Resident Evil 5 times :p

Now I'm older and like the beginning very much. Nice slow exploration and scanning paired with awesome shooting segments . Have to get used to the controls though. Because of my room layout (and being left-handed) I hold the remote in the left hand. That makes it a bit awkward because normally you have mouse/right-stick for shooting (+Samus right arm is the gun). But it should only take 30-40min of brainfuggling for that^^ I bet it's worth it.

Christine

I feel the way rooms are connected (in a big picture spectrum) rank kind of low on what's important in level design. I could care less if these levels were accessible via a Hub.

You might like Corruption a lot better than Prime or Echoes, as it implements something a little more Hub-like in the form of your ship. This is the paradigm of all three games, however; as frequently as they are called 'non-linear' or 'open world', they really are quite linear. They provide not freedom but an illusion of freedom, which can sometimes be more compelling.

In order to enjoy these games, you really will need to appreciate the journey in itself, not just as it serves to enable progress. If you don't think that the Chozo Ruins are a fascinating and exciting place to run around in, you're not going to have a good time. I have a really hard time empathizing with the perspective that the rooms are boring, as I recognize and remember most of them by name.

You've correctly identified the core of the design, though. The play and structure of the rooms is all about which exits you can traverse with which movement powers. The way the rooms are built individually and the way they hook together globally isn't just related, it's unified into the same whole.

The secret is that you usually don't have to take the digressions that give previews of new movement powers or weapons by showing you locked things, but you almost always will because of subtle ways that Retro prods you through the level structure. You might feel like you're tackling the exploration on your own terms but this is mostly a trick. You often get an E tank for your trouble, though.

Nessus

Hunters was a massive waste of potential. It was impressively functional as a tech demo on the DS, but its engine would have been capable of delivering something roughly equivalent to one of the Prime games if in the hands of more capable designers.

Yeah, I remember playing Hunters and being really impressed with the graphics/engine, then massively disappointed that it was more or less a level based design and not a traditional Metroid.

Chozolore

Yeah, I remember playing Hunters and being really impressed with the graphics/engine, then massively disappointed that it was more or less a level based design and not a traditional Metroid.

Is that the one that came with on demo cart on the original DS at launch?

There were many reasons why MP2 Echoes sold less than Prime 1 but I think ppl here are missing the most important one: Metroid Prime was the first Metroid game in 8 years and the very first 3D Metroid ever! That fact, coupled with NoA's marketing muscle helped to hype the game to never before seen levels for a Metroid game (and arguably never seen again).

Echoes came about just two years later, it was too similar, didnt review as well, it was too complicated (I hated the light/dark world mechanics) and Nintendo wasn't as behind as it was with Prime 1 with its hype machine.

And I won't even compare it to Corruption where NoA barely remembered it was launching Prime 3 at all. It launched to so little fanfare it wasn't even funny. And even after launching in a way more successful console it still didnt manage to outsell Prime 1 with its puny Gamecube installed base. Corruption did outsold Echoes, though.

Im thirsty for a new triple A home console Metroid game. It's been too long since Corruption. And the less said about Other M the better.

I've read over the front page but I'm still not sure how to further optimize my viewing experience of the game. The screen is fuzzy and there are black bars surrounding the Wii screen. I realize it's mostly because of the 480 output and the fact that it's in secretly in Wii mode, but it bothers me a ton. A lot of users advised overscan, but I'm not sure how to turn that on in my Visio TV and after reading a few other comments online it seems that it is usually automatically on?

not every TV has overscan.
are you 100% sure your TV supports it?

how are other Wii games looking? all with bar(s)?

Look for a button in your TV's remote that says something like "Picture size" or "Screen Size" or "Aspect Ratio" and choose the option that has overscan. Every brand calls them differently but, for example, in my Samsung the picture size that has overscan is just called "16:9" and the one that displays every single pixel in the screen is called "Screen Fit". In this case you'd want "16:9".

Just remember to go back to "Screen Fit" when you go back to any other thing that's not Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Reebot

This game is rad. Played a few hours of Prime, got to the lava dungeon. Never got a chance to play it back in the day, very happy about this release. I'd prefer a standard controller but the wiimote is fine.

Definitely a case of "don't make them like they used too."

Flip side of that of course, there are some parts that are just tedious in a modern context. But its part of the package, it has its own unique charms. Everyone who has a Wii U go buy this game.

Mariolee

not every TV has overscan.
are you 100% sure your TV supports it?

how are other Wii games looking? all with bar(s)?

Look for a button in your TV's remote that says something like "Picture size" or "Screen Size" or "Aspect Ratio" and choose the option that has overscan. Every brand calls them differently but, for example, in my Samsung the picture size that has overscan is just called "16:9" and the one that displays every single pixel in the screen is called "Screen Fit". In this case you'd want "16:9".

Just remember to go back to "Screen Fit" when you go back to any other thing that's not Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Thanks guys!

Zocano

So I started playing the first again and realized why they made the difficulty split...

I do noooooooot like the Wii controls. I would prefer standard lock on and not having to aim because it just makes things so much more inaccurate (especially considering the motion controls).

I feel like Echoes would be horrible to play through again with the wii mote.

Also don't like that I can't just quick select scanning. Feels way more cumbersome. Also the missile button feels so awkward to hit and don't like it at all.

Overall, I guess I'm happy I played Metroid Prime 1/2 on GC. The controls are just vastly better.

Now speaking of the game itself... Scanning feels like a nuisance but I feel forced to scan everything cause "completion %'.

So I started playing the first again and realized why they made the difficulty split...

I do noooooooot like the Wii controls. I would prefer standard lock on and not having to aim because it just makes things so much more inaccurate (especially considering the motion controls).

I feel like Echoes would be horrible to play through again with the wii mote.

Also don't like that I can't just quick select scanning. Feels way more cumbersome. Also the missile button feels so awkward to hit and don't like it at all.

Overall, I guess I'm happy I played Metroid Prime 1/2 on GC. The controls are just vastly better.

Now speaking of the game itself... Scanning feels like a nuisance but I feel forced to scan everything cause "completion %'.

Have you disabled the "Lock On Free Aim" and set "Advanced" sensitivity?

Toxi

Banned
If you're a completionist, just focus on 100% items, since that's what gives you the secret ending.

Or scan everything anyway, LOL

Prototype

Died today for the first time in Echoes, at the boss with electrified floor... Lol. I came in with like zero health and wasn't expecting a boss fight. Lost a good chunk of progress. Now I save everytime I pass a station.

Gambit

Last night I basically finished Skytown in Corruption. It is so much better than Bryyo, I could hardly believe it. What a fantastic location.

black_clavus

Neo Member
Got motion sickness very fast with this game T_T

I could play bioshock infinite or other fps game for 3-4 hours, but I only could play MP1 for just an hour

any suggestion?

I'm feeling crazy right now so here's some top locations lists. All imo, of course :)

Prime Top 3
1. Phendrana Drifts
2. Tallon Overworld (includes Crashed Frigate)
3. Chozo Ruins

Echoes Top 3
1. Sanctuary Fortress
2. Torvus Bog
3. Temple Grounds

Corruption Top 3
1. SkyTown
Pirate Homeworld
3. GFS Valhalla

Overall Top 5
1. Sanctuary Fortress
2. Phendrana Drifts
3. Torvus Bog
4. SkyTown
Pirate Homeworld

Anyone else want to give their thoughts?

MrPanic

I'm feeling crazy right now so here's some top locations lists. All imo, of course :)

Prime Top 3
1. Phendrana Drifts
2. Tallon Overworld (includes Crashed Frigate)
3. Chozo Ruins

Echoes Top 3
1. Sanctuary Fortress
2. Torvus Bog
3. Temple Grounds

Corruption Top 3
1. SkyTown
Pirate Homeworld
3. GFS Valhalla

Overall Top 5
1. Sanctuary Fortress
2. Phendrana Drifts
3. Torvus Bog
4. SkyTown
Pirate Homeworld

Anyone else want to give their thoughts?

I second this list, it's perfect.

I really loved Metroid Prime when it was released on the Gamecube, but I'm enjoying replaying it even more now. Maybe because we don't get many games with great level design these days. I hope when I finish the trilogy, Nintendo and Retro would announce a new game in the series for the Wii U.

Jisgsaw

Ok, so quick question: is it possible to change the default centering point for the wiimote, like in Zelda SS?
The only menu I found was the WiiU setting menu, where you can only choose under or over the TV. Mine is under, which I choose, but I have to point the wiimote way too low to point at anything for it to be comfortable; can't play more than 30 minutes without my wrist hurting...

wrowa

Ok, so quick question: is it possible to change the default centering point for the wiimote, like in Zelda SS?
The only menu I found was the WiiU setting menu, where you can only choose under or over the TV. Mine is under, which I choose, but I have to point the wiimote way too low to point at anything for it to be comfortable; can't play more than 30 minutes without my wrist hurting...

No, you can't. Skyward wasn't using the sensorbar
for pointing, but Wiimotion Plus's gyrometer. Metroid Prime is using the sensor bar, though, so your Wiimote will always need to be directed at it.

The sensor bar doesn't need to be under or over the TV though. You can put it anywhere you like, so just put it where pointing to it is most comfortable for you. (Personally, I'm using two candles on my couch table to replace the sensor bar, because pointing to the TV isn't comfortable in my setup at all).

Jisgsaw

No, you can't. Skyward wasn't using the sensorbar
for pointing, but Wiimotion Plus's gyrometer. Metroid Prime is using the sensor bar, though, so your Wiimote will always need to be directed at it.

The sensor bar doesn't need to be under or over the TV though. You can put it anywhere you like, so just put it where pointing to it is most comfortable for you. (Personally, I'm using two candles on my couch table to replace the sensor bar, because pointing to the TV isn't comfortable in my setup at all).

Like, really? They couldn't put a "x+= 20 cm" in their code?

Welp, thanks anyway. I'll try to move the sensor bar a bit to see if I find a better point (like over the TV probably, pointing up would be better than pointing down).

Well, I didn't get as far on the Gamecube version as I thought I did :lol.
I got towards the later part of Magmoor Caverns on that version back when I played it, and I thought I'd played it for a good while and was making solid progress in the game, but on this version I'm already there after playing it for just two nights after work.

I've died once up to now, against
Flaaghra
, and that was only because I've been using the lock on mode where you still have to manually aim it, and apparently the Gamecube control scheme makes that fight a hell of a lot easier. I also lucked out at getting out of the beginning area in time; the clock was on something like 0:00:79 when I got out.

edit: Gamecube lock on I mean.

Top Bottom