• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

sheaaaa

Oh, good. I can enjoy the game again. Thanks.

I did exactly the same too, boggles the mind why that isn't the default.

Halfway or so through MP for the first time since its original release and it's such a lovely game to get lost in.

Never really been one to clamour for sequels to everything but I would shit myself if Nintendo announced a new Prime for Wii U.

flowsnake

The hint system in MP1 is weird sometimes. If I literally just got the previous item and I'm heading back out of the area, I don't think I should be pushed to the next one that soon.

It makes sense when the player is lost for a while, but it seems to get too aggressive at times. Maybe I'm just slow though.

And yes it can be turned off etc etc.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The hint system in MP1 is weird sometimes. If I literally just got the previous item and I'm heading back out of the area, I don't think I should be pushed to the next one that soon.

It makes sense when the player is lost for a while, but it seems to get too aggressive at times. Maybe I'm just slow though.

And yes it can be turned off etc etc.

It is too fast. Especially after the boost ball, for example, I'm not sure it is even possible to get to the next powerup before the hint system kicks in and tells you where to go since it is such a long trip (especially if you do some exploration for missile expansions along the way).

Perhaps with sequence breaking, but that doesn't really count.

Grief.exe

Got a new suit!

i9E7RFdjitqT3.png

Ridley327

I have to say that for all they did to make Prime 3 more mainstream-friendly, with the more straightforward progression and the increase in cutscenes and dialogue, it is so stubbornly a Metroid game through it all, and all the better for it.

Prototype

Just beat Echoes first the first time.

It was good of course, but I can see why some people don't like it as much as the others.

For me I didn't like the lack of beam power ups, and you wear the dark suit for too long. I don't really like the way it looks. Especially after you get the boost thing, she looks like a cockroach. I feel like screw attack didn't work as well in this game either.

Just a few complaints, but overall a good game. I still prefer 3 and 1 ultimately.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

It was good of course, but I can see why some people don't like it as much as the others.

For me I didn't like the lack of beam power ups, and you wear the dark suit for too long. I don't really like the way it looks. Especially after you get the boost thing, she looks like a cockroach. I feel like screw attack didn't work as well in this game either.

Just a few complaints, but overall a good game. I still prefer 3 and 1 ultimately.

Lack of beam powerups? Prime 2 has the Super Missile, Darkburst, Sunburst, and Sonic Boom. Assuming that's what you mean at least.

Prototype

Lack of beam powerups? Prime 2 has the Super Missile, Darkburst, Sunburst, and Sonic Boom. Assuming that's what you mean at least.
I mean stuff for your main beam. Things like ice beam, wave beam, ect. You just had power shot the entire time

Edit.
I have to say that for all they did to make Prime 3 more mainstream-friendly, with the more straightforward progression and the increase in cutscenes and dialogue, it is so stubbornly a Metroid game through it all, and all the better for it.
100% agreed.

Ridley327

I'm one of the weirdos that thought the Dark Suit was improved by the Gravity Boost, but what do I know. The Light Suit is all sorts of terrific, though; it reminds me of Naked Jehuty from ZOE2, in the sense that for as stripped-down as it looks, it looks incredibly powerful.

Verger

Banned
And it's still miles and leagues better than Other M too which tried to go the same route (straight-forward progression, more cutscenes and dialog, not sure about mainstream-friendliness).

To me, Other M, which I guess "looked" like a Metroid game, didn't "feel" like a Metroid game at all compared to the Prime Trilogy.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I mean stuff for your main beam. Things like ice beam, wave beam, ect. You just had power shot the entire time

Edit.

100% agreed.

Dark/Light/Annihilator are all pretty similar to Ice/Plasma/Wave functionally. They are just balanced differently and use ammo.

Prime 3 was the one I found disappointing in that regard, you just had one beam and it continuously upgraded instead of having different ones.

OmegaFax

Beat Metroid Prime last night. Didn't save after the credits because I'd rather just explore the environment over completely restarting the game.

Ridley327

And it's still miles and leagues better than Other M too which tried to go the same route (straight-forward progression, more cutscenes and dialog, not sure about mainstream-friendliness).

To me, Other M, which I guess "looked" like a Metroid game, didn't "feel" like a Metroid game at all compared to the Prime Trilogy.

It's weird, since Other M is simultaneously more mainstream friendly and more off-putting than other entries in the series. I can't even imagine how many new-to-series players would have even finished that game without having fairly intimate knowledge of how things work in the series.

Golnei

It's weird, since Other M is simultaneously more mainstream friendly and more off-putting than other entries in the series. I can't even imagine how many new-to-series players would have even finished that game without having fairly intimate knowledge of how things work in the series.

As should be expected, Other M took the worst parts of both approaches. A game where combat is a braindead one-button QTE with regenerating health which also decides to do a final boss battle which depends entirely on the player knowing the most efficient method of damaging the final boss of a handheld game released in 1991 does not indicate a very coherent design methodology.

It is too fast. Especially after the boost ball, for example, I'm not sure it is even possible to get to the next powerup before the hint system kicks in and tells you where to go since it is such a long trip (especially if you do some exploration for missile expansions along the way).

Perhaps with sequence breaking, but that doesn't really count.

That's definitely something that should have been altered in the original Trilogy release. It's fairly detrimental to pacing, and throwing hints at you so quickly ends up exposing the underlying linearity which the game otherwise hides so well.

Toxi

Banned

The bug look is actually intentional; she's supposed to look like a Luminoth.

I like the Dark Suit, but the Light Suit is the true standout Prime trilogy outfit.

Prototype

The bug look is actually intentional; she's supposed to look like a Luminoth.

I like the Dark Suit, but the Light Suit is the true standout Prime trilogy outfit.
I guess that makes sense, it does look quite bug like.

The light suit was badass.

Well, first death... Omega Pirate really kicked my ass. How do I strafe around him safely with out running into the phazon piles? I kept losing health just trying to stay away form him.

Also, the Ice Pirates are really unfair because of how long it even takes to shoot the ice beam. Two fully charge shots don't even take them out, and that takes quite a while.

Enforced

Well, first death... Omega Pirate really kicked my ass. How do I strafe around him safely with out running into the phazon piles? I kept losing health just trying to stay away form him.

Also, the Ice Pirates are really unfair because of how long it even takes to shoot the ice beam. Two fully charge shots don't even take them out, and that takes quite a while.
Freeze them with charge Ice beam shots then use missiles?

Wow the Spider Guardian is so much easier with the morph ball jump. I remember being so frustrated with misplaced bombs and not being able to activate the flipping doors in time.

Well, I didn't realize you could ignore the pirate waves since Omega Pirate damages them with his shockwave.... Nearly killed him in the first wave. Now, on to the artifacts!

And the missiles just bounce off the Ice Pirates. Pretty silly.

I'm feeling crazy right now so here's some top locations lists. All imo, of course :)

*list*

Anyone else want to give their thoughts?

Sweet I've been needing a way to sneak into this thread, it's been a bit tough seeing as I haven't been replaying the trilogy right now.
I'll play things spoiler safe for the newcomers.

Prime
1. Chozo Ruins
Those crumbling ruins, that mystery, the intrigue, the oddly funky ambience, those dang ghosts. Chozo Ruins is a memorable visual and is tightly packed together making it one of the more intricate maps in the game.

2. Tallon Overworld
Almost wins through the power of rainfall and rad music alone, sets a strong impression upon landing on the planet. Cool Jungle fauna and also has the Artefact Temple which might be the most impressive looking room in the game.

3. Phendrana Drifts
Chills from the cold and chills from the lights going out in the Pirate Base, serene one second and sinister the next you could say. Also throws in its own frosty temple for good measure.

Prime 2
1. Sanctuary Fortress
GOAT Prime location, a marvel to behold, peerless design, stunning visuals, memorable rogues gallery and bosses. Fun can be had just gazing at the walls and general environment. Inspired spider boost balling shenanigans as well as making some use out of the screw attack.

2. Torvus Bog
Like taking Tallon Overworld and its wrecked ship except ramping up both the swamp and swamped depths, not as pretty though as it's suitably boggy and damp as to help it stand out a bit further.
3. Agon Wastes
Craggy landscape has a few neat environment details, what's not to love about a save station by a mini sandfall or blinding blue plants? Of the two similar landscapes I've always liked this place a lot more than the temple grounds even if that place has some visual mechanisms in the central temple.

Prime 3
1. Elysia/Sky Town
The most enjoyable location to play through in Prime 3 that taps into what makes the series strong, isolated and somewhat lonely. Some neat steampunk like architecture that stands out from the crowd. Make a nuke, weld some circuits and get freaked out by Metroids.
2. GFS Valhalla
Eerie outing that plays up the atmosphere, one of the few places in Prime 3 that cools it on the pirate encounters and is all the better for it.

Pirate Homeworld
Very condensed and labyrinthine map design makes up for what I found to be a kinda underwhelming place visually, while Bryyo's central area looks more interesting (naff textures aside) and has lore on its side The Pirate Homeworld is just more fun to actually play through. Also has Admiral Dane no selling the acid rain atmosphere, who needs hazard shields? not him that's for sure (I don't care if the ship is above him, one gust of wind and his skin will sizzle!)

So pretty much the same list with one whole location difference and different order.

Damn, can someone help me out with the friend voucher save transfer stuff. The wii u isn't reading the sd card for me to transfer it over. I might have the folders wrong too. I'm not even sure if I'm doing any of it correctly. Any step by step help available? Haven't started playing yet because I want to settle that first.

Damn, can someone help me out with the friend voucher save transfer stuff. The wii u isn't reading the sd card for me to transfer it over. I might have the folders wrong too. I'm not even sure if I'm doing any of it correctly. Any step by step help available? Haven't started playing yet because I want to settle that first.

What region are you in?

Cynosure

i got this. i had to buy a wiimote and nunchuck to play it.
i never owned a wii or used motion controls before.
i am struggling badly. 5 minutes in and my wrist is already sore. i adjusted the sensitivity to one but that didnt help.

i dont like motion controls. i dont like it at all.

TheMoon

Did you make sure to download the proper save file for your region? Try starting the game so it creates an actual legit save once that you can just replace with the one you downloaded.

i am struggling badly. 5 minutes in and my wrist is already sore. i adjusted the sensitivity to one but that didnt help.

How is your wrist sore after 5 minutes? Do you move your arm like ever?

What you're advised to do is set the lock-on/free aim to "off" and set the sensitivity to "advanced." And you do know that you only need to move your wrist slightly, right? Have you ever used a computer with a mouse?

K' Dash

i dont like motion controls. I dont like it at all.

Plase give the controls a chance, remember to:

1. Put the controls on Advanced
2. Turn off "Lock on free aim" for Prime and Echoes.

You're doing something really wrong if your wrists are hurting. Try resting your arms on your lap. You should barely have to move to aim, especially if your sensitivity is at max.

yami4ct

Got all the way through
Omega Pirate
. That fight was way harder than I remember. Probably the only boss so far I died multiple times on.
Thank god I remembered that you can power bomb him to kill most if not all his phazon points

If I remember correctly from the GC version when I played it years ago, that's probably going to be the hardest boss.

K' Dash

Got all the way through
Omega Pirate
. That fight was way harder than I remember. Probably the only boss so far I died multiple times on.
Thank god I remembered that you can power bomb him to kill most if not all his phazon points

If I remember correctly from the GC version when I played it years ago, that's probably going to be the hardest boss.

you can use
super missiles
when he's vulnerable, each hit will take like 20% of his HP.

This thread has inspired me to replay the trilogy. I kind've wish the hypermode difficulty was unlocked by default. ( Although I guess it would have been if I had done a wii system transfer before playing.)

Currently in the first game, and just picked up the wave beam.

steveovig

I'm at the final boss of Prime 1 and I hate it. I'm playing on the easiest difficulty but I have a really hard time fighting
the first form
and I can't seem to figure out how to damage
the second form
much. I decided to take a break and try Prime 3 until I can research some Youtube videos on him.

On a side note, I'm not digging Prime 3 much yet.

Silkworm

I'm at the final boss of Prime 1 and I hate it. I'm playing on the easiest difficulty but I have a really hard time fighting
the first form
the second form
much. I decided to take a break and try Prime 3 until I can research some Youtube videos on him.

I still never did beat the final boss
(es)
in Prime 3. Takes so dang long and then if I can't pull it off I don't have the will power to try again. One day, I need to rectify that. Prime 1's final boss wasn't too bad from what I vaguely remember. I'm sure you'll defeat eventually :)

Gravidee

If you're holding up your arm while playing, you're doing it wrong.

Ridley327

One of the nice things about the Trilogy is that Phendrana Drifts will still be fresh in your memory when
you reach Bryyo Ice in Prime 3. It's a nostalgia bomb bigger than the one you drop on that Leviathan in Elysia.

Sweet I've been needing a way to sneak into this thread, it's been a bit tough seeing as I haven't been replaying the trilogy right now.
I'll play things spoiler safe for the newcomers.

snip

Nice list. I'm rested now so i'd like to detail my thoughts a bit more. I guess I should say that these rankings are based on a combination of things - design, boss fights, presentation, memorable moments, etc

Prime Top 3
1. Phendrana Drifts
Phendrana takes the best elements of Prime's areas and combines them into a grand, sweeping package with great presentation. You have the thoughtful interconnections of Chozo Ruins and the more linear focus of Phazon Mines, mashed together with sublime atmosphere. The room-to-room design hits a sweet spot of complexity by virtue of its mid-game placing. Thardus is also a great boss fight.

Best moments: Obtaining the Super Missile, grabbing the Thermal Visor and the subsequent escape, Ridley's brief cutscene, discovering the Gravity Suit

2. Tallon Overworld
This area already has a big advantage, as its second music track is probably my second favorite ever, right behind DKC2's Stickerbush Symphony. For presentation, the constant rain gives Tallon Overworld a moody, yet serene atmosphere, while the the rhythm of the music, like most in Prime 1, is seemingly engineered to match Samus' gun bob. I'm counting Crashed Frigate as a part of this area, so the atmosphere increases tenfold because of that. Concerning design, some simple puzzles and breezy traversal mixed with a fantastic layout gives this location its spot.

Best moments: The X-Ray Visor room, the Crashed Frigate, that first moment after Samus lands

3. Chozo Ruins
Though simple in design, some of the best uses of interconnection, eerie atmosphere (especially in the "depths" area), and a sheer multitude of interesting rooms make Chozo Ruins one of the best locations in the series. While I don't think it has quite the scope or presentation of Phendrana, or the atmosphere of Tallon Overworld, Chozo Ruins throws seemingly everything at the wall and most of it sticks. There's a great variety of rooms here, capped off by a unique boss encounter. Had this been a late game area with more complexity, it may well have been the best location in the whole series.

Best moments: Climbing the Sun Tower, the first encounter with Chozo Ghosts

Echoes Top 3
1. Sanctuary Fortress
Quite possibly the pinnacle of 3D video game level design as we know it - I want some of whatever the level designers for this place were smoking. Many rooms serve a dual purpose (often utilizing spider ball tracks) to keep players guessing. Sanctuary Fortress features some of the few actual puzzles in the series by way of the process to shut off the gyroscope, the rotating color puzzles at the second gyroscope, and the echo gates. Sanctuary Fortress takes place across multiple massive floors, creating a vast sense of scope. Did I mention the bosses? Spider Guardian is fuckin' insanity, the mini-boss utilizing spider ball tracks is always a huge surprise, Dark Samus is a fun fight yet again, and Quadraxis remains arguably the greatest first-person boss battle of all time. The level of complexity here is also at an all time high, demanding absolute care and attention from the player. Shit, did I forget to mention the sense of life in this place brought on by the constant sense of movement and "bustle" in the environment? Or that Rezbits are like, the coolest shit ever? Or that...

Sanctuary Fortress, man.

Best moments: All of them.

2. Torvus Bog
Torvus Bog is pretty much the perfect fusion of atmosphere and complexity. Initially, the area gives off Tallon Overworld-vibes with the constant rain and rhythmic music, but players will soon find that its design is vastly more sophisticated. Torvus is the first area in Echoes where warping between the light and dark worlds requires some mental gymnastics, and players that coasted through Agon Wastes will likely be in for a surprise. Torvus is also home to some excellent bosses, namely Boost Guardian and Chykka. I didn't even mention the submerged temple area, which features an excellent remix of Super Metroid's Brinstar Depths theme and some neat underwater navigation by way of the Gravity Boost's jet feature. Just a well-designed, challenging, atmospheric area that's only downside for me is a somewhat restricted sense of scope.

Best moments: Overcoming Boost Guardian, entering the submerged temple, soaking in dat atmosphere

3. Temple Grounds
It's literally either this or Agon Wastes, so here's why I chose this. Design-wise, I feel that the two areas are pretty similar. Where I give Temple Grounds the edge is in music, the area's role in the intro, and its dark world. Having the game's intro take place in the actual world and not a disconnected area is a major boon. The music has a great sense of rhythm, calling back to certain Prime 1 tracks. I love how the area loops around on itself - giving great feedback to the player for finding every ability needed to unlock these paths, and for using a unique design among Prime series areas. The dark world here is pretty unique, with rooms such as Phazon Grounds and the Sky Temple entrance. While they're equally as reskinned as other dark world rooms, they somehow feel more distinguished. Temple Grounds excels as a hub and a playground for the player to mess with each new ability.

Best moments: The intro, exploring the downed Federation ship, exploring the dark world

That's all for now. Not feeling super up to writing about Corruption right now. Maybe later.

the first form
the second form

When in doubt, scan it.

Cømet

Banned

Other M was worth it to me for that opening cutscene alone.

If I could get a console remake of Super Metroid....

the first form
the second form

I'll be blunt. Shoot it's face with the appropriately coloured beam (yellow is power, white ice, red plasma, purple wave) til it aggros and charges. Morph ball and move to the other end of the room as it charges using the trenches. If it's purple use wavebuster, otherwise shoot it's face and dodge. Always lock on. Second form, jump around a lot and hit it with hyper beam when phazon pools spawn (switch visors constantly if you can't see it, it'll switch around a bit). Power bomb if the metroids get too much. You should have ice beam out so you can freeze and missile them at this point since standard beam attacks don't damage the boss at all.

Anything else?

PS Make sure you've maxed your missiles and energy tanks if you're struggling.

Wow, Metroid Prime after all this years still one of the most amazing games ever made. I played this game on Gamecube back in 2002, and i really forgot how good this game is, i have a high end pc also a PS4, and after download the Prime Trilogy my other system are collecting dust, I never played prime 2 or 3, so, this is going to be a great month for me. Amazing amazing game.

steveovig

With Prime 1 and the first form, I can figure out all the beams except the Ice Beam. It's so slow and I don't connect all the time and I end up frozen. I curse everytime he turns white.

Top Bottom