• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

steveovig

I'm probably going to swap jump and shoot the next time I play. I haven't been using charged shots much but for this I'll have to.

I'm probably going to swap jump and shoot the next time I play. I haven't been using charged shots much but for this I'll have to.

breh

Super Missiles are godlike for almost every enemy. Ice Spreader is amazing against
Metroid Prime
, same with Wavebuster (if you're packing enough missiles).

K' Dash

I just spent 2+ hours lost in torvus bog because I didn't explore ONE room all the way through.

I fucking love this game: "oh, you're missing a key? fuck you, here's where you have to go when (if) you find it."

I just spent 2+ hours lost in torvus bog becauae I didn't explore ONE room all the way through.

I fucking love this game: "oh, you're missing a key? fuck you, here's where you have to go when (if) you find it."

Did you miss the
half pipe
in the large room next to the light world temple

or the
portal after getting the Gravity Boost

...because I did :l

K' Dash

Did you miss the
half pipe

or the

Yup
the portal after getting the Gravity Boost

I have done this game 3 times, 2 of them 100% and I fucking forgot about that one, granted, that was ~10 years ago.

Prototype

I noticed the loading screen after selecting you game and save file, where she turns and shoots, always shows Samus in the current suit you have for that particular game. Pretty cool.

Ridley327

I noticed the loading screen after selecting you game and save file, where she turns and shoots, always shows Samus in the current suit you have for that particular game. Pretty cool.

They even went as far as to have two different Dark Suit loading screens, one without the Gravity Boost and one with it. Really nice attention to detail, but I have no doubt that's a big part why it's nearly 8 gigs, since those loading screens are FMVs.

Sounds like an inverse Infinity Ward situation (Retro recovered and made DKCR, while Infinity Ward made CoD Ghosts LOL). I thought it was just a few department leads that bailed for Armature.

Nope. Actually, Retro was a very stable studio for the first three games. Then about 1/3 (maybe more) of the team left. They still have a good amount of people from Prime and Echoes there though. I'm just going by the credits though. And actually it seems like there are as much or even more ex Retro folk at Bluepoint now than Armature.

Ahnez

Its also nice how the Fusion Suit changes as you get new suit upgrades.

The Phazon Suit version of the Fusion Suit being the same one you get by absorbing SA-X is a nice detail

Prototype

They even went as far as to have two different Dark Suit loading screens, one without the Gravity Boost and one with it. Really nice attention to detail, but I have no doubt that's a big part why it's nearly 8 gigs, since those loading screens are FMVs.
It's little things like that which make me fall I love with games.

Also, I really prefer the more angular and aggressive looking ship design in corruption over the more classic design in Primes 1 & 2. I love how you get in from the bottom, makes the Sci Fi geek in me happy because it makes more sense.

I haven't really played Metroid Prime since it came out and I'd forgotten how beam shots gave off their own light. It's evident when you shoot down a dark hallway.

I feel like such details weren't common in games from 2002, but I might just have poor memory.

Nope. Actually, Retro was a very stable studio for the first three games. Then about 1/3 (maybe more) of the team left. They still have a good amount of people from Prime and Echoes there though. I'm just going by the credits though. And actually it seems like there are as much or even more ex Retro folk at Bluepoint now than Armature.

I'm expecting huge things from Bluepoint now that Kynan Pearson joined them. I hope they're working on something...

I'm feeling crazy right now so here's some top locations lists. All imo, of course :)

Prime Top 3
1. Phendrana Drifts
2. Tallon Overworld (includes Crashed Frigate)
3. Chozo Ruins

Echoes Top 3
1. Sanctuary Fortress
2. Torvus Bog
3. Temple Grounds

Corruption Top 3
1. SkyTown
Pirate Homeworld
3. GFS Valhalla

Overall Top 5
1. Sanctuary Fortress
2. Phendrana Drifts
3. Torvus Bog
4. SkyTown
Pirate Homeworld

Anyone else want to give their thoughts?

Prime:
1. Tallon Overworld w/crashed frigate
2. Phendrana Drifts
3. Phazon Mines

Echoes:
1. Sanctuary Fortress
2. Torvus Bog
3. Agon Wastes

Corruption:
1. Skytown, Elysia
2. Pirate Homeworld
3. Bryyo

Overall:
1. Sanctuary Fortress
2. Tallon Overworld w/crashed frigate
3. Skytown, Elysia
4. Phendrana Drifts
5. Pirate Homeworld
6. Phazon Mines
7. Torvus Bog
8. Bryyo
9. Agon Wastes
10. Chozo Ruins
11. Phaaze
12. GFS Valhalla
13. Norion
14. Magmoor Caverns
15. GFS Olympus
16. Temple Grounds

I'm expecting huge things from Bluepoint now that Kynan Pearson joined them. I hope they're working on something...

I was crushed when, yet again, the three lead designers left after Returns. Mike Wiccan got a lot of shit for being the one that created the enemies and bosses for DKCR, and people were actually happy that he left. But he was a senior designer on all three Prime games. I wonder if he was responsible for leading the creation of all the incredible bosses and enemies for those games too. But anyway, it's amazing how they seem to be pretty much unaffected no matter what happens. The studio culture is strong there, as if there is some unseen spirit present at all times inspiring everyone who works within their walls to do awesome things!

Defeated
Metroid Prime
on first time on Prime 1. The only boss which gave me a bit more of trouble was
Omega Pirate
, but because I arrived at its room with only 2
Power Bombs

I'm so excited to start Prime 2 again...It's been years since I've last played it.

I was crushed when, yet again, the three lead designers left after Returns. Mike Wiccan got a lot of shit for being the one that created the enemies and bosses for DKCR, and people were actually happy that he left. But he was a senior designer on all three Prime games. I wonder if he was responsible for leading the creation of all the incredible bosses and enemies for those games too. But anyway, it's amazing how they seem to be pretty much unaffected no matter what happens. The studio culture is strong there, as if there is some unseen spirit present at all times inspiring everyone who works within their walls to do awesome things!

I actually dug DKCR's bosses quite a bit. Mangoruby and Colonel Pluck in particular are excellent, and I also like Stu and Thugly.

I was a bit concerned about Tropical Freeze's level design after Kynan Pearson left, but it seemed to work out in the end. Surpassing Returns' level design is pretty much impossible, so I'm glad to see that TF consistently matched it.

Retro is a miracle. Staff changes, genre switches...the studio's output seems unaffected by anything. I'd blind buy any game with their name on it. My favorite studio by far.

I actually dug DKCR's bosses quite a bit. Mangoruby and Colonel Pluck in particular are excellent, and I also like Stu and Thugly.

What? For real? DKCR is one of my favorite games, but I absolutely despise the bosses in it. Last time I played I almost broke my 3DS nearly every time I encountered one. I don't even know how you're supposed to defeat Thugly or the chicken mech without taking damage.

I was a bit concerned about Tropical Freeze's level design after Kynan Pearson left, but it seemed to work out in the end. Surpassing Returns' level design is pretty much impossible, so I'm glad to see that TF consistently matched it.

Retro is a miracle. Staff changes, genre switches...the studio's output seems unaffected by anything. I'd blind buy any game with their name on it. My favorite studio by far.

Yup, same here. I'm so torn between wanting another Metroid from them and a new IP. Normally I would want a new IP more, but it's been so long since Corruption, and as much as I love them, I don't trust that EAD understands the essence of Metroid. If someone new were to take a crack at it, I'd give it to Next Level.

What? For real? DKCR is one of my favorite games, but I absolutely despise the bosses in it. Last time I played I almost broke my 3DS nearly every time I encountered one. I don't even know how you're supposed to defeat Thugly or the chicken mech without taking damage.

I'm not saying they're easy lol. But they can be beat without taking damage; I beat both of them in mirror mode on both Wii and 3DS.

Yup, same here. I'm so torn between wanting another Metroid from them and a new IP. Normally I would want a new IP more, but it's been so long since Corruption, and as much as I love them, I don't trust that EAD understands the essence of Metroid. If someone new were to take a crack at it, I'd give it to Next Level.

Yeah, Next Level would be a good fit for Metroid I think.

I'd love for Retro to return to sci-fi, regardless of the franchise (or even a new IP). Not sure how many of the Prime Trilogy artists are still there, but their sci-fi art for that series was incredibly distinctive and well-thought out. Part of me wants to see a Retro Studios F-Zero for that reason.

Cømet

Banned
I just spent 2+ hours lost in torvus bog because I didn't explore ONE room all the way through.

Did you miss the
half pipe

or the

lol yeah, I missed the half pipe after boost guardian, dunno why. Hardly my first playthrough, duh! ;p

Defeated
Metroid Prime
on first time on Prime 1. The only boss which gave me a bit more of trouble was
Omega Pirate
, but because I arrived at its room with only 2
Power Bombs

I'm so excited to start Prime 2 again...It's been years since I've last played it.

Whaaaat, you needed power bombs for Omega Pirate?

Cømet;151106633 said:
lol yeah, I missed the half pipe after boost guardian, dunno why. Hardly my first playthrough, duh! ;p

Whaaaat, you needed power bombs for Omega Pirate?

Using them is optional, if you want to make the fight really easy. They
instantly stuns him, making him go recover and be vulnerable to damage

Too bad these studios output is mostly ports for Playstation...

Just beat Metroid Prime 1, and started 2. I set the difficulty for normal this time though because veteran was stressing me out on 1. Even though I only died once, I don't need that pressure. Plus the bosses in 2 are tougher from what I've read. Really excited to play through 2, I tried it once years ago but got stuck on the
Alpha Blogg, I died over 20 times and just gave up.

daedalius

So what's the best place to pick up a Wii U right now?

I really want this metroid pack, but there appear to be several other games I wouldn't mind picking up now either. The wait is over!

I haven't really played Metroid Prime since it came out and I'd forgotten how beam shots gave off their own light. It's evident when you shoot down a dark hallway.

I feel like such details weren't common in games from 2002, but I might just have poor memory.
Yes, this game have some crazy details, the rain drops over Samus canon, the snow and rain stopped by the platforms, the reflections, the lighting. Some animations are amazing too. Is amazing to shoot in the dark and see the beam shot illuminating the room.

Ridley327

Too bad these studios output is mostly ports for Playstation...

To be fair, Bluepoint is one of the most well-regarded developers in the industry, even if it's for doing good ports of other studios' games. As much as people may not consider that to be as valuable as having an original output, the possibility of a port going mediocre-to-bad is too damn high these days, and it's good to see that there's at least one developer that actually does give a damn. Their Titanfall port on 360 is nothing short of a miracle.

Schnozberry

I'm really surprised how well these games hold up. The graphics are clearly a decade behind, but the gameplay still feels great. If they remastered the original Prime for the release of the next handheld, I think it would be a fantastic time sink while mobile. Especially with the immediate suspend/resume.

M3d10n

Having a blast with Prime 1. It looks far better on my TV than I expected (first time running a Wii game on my Wii U).

Looking at that well designed map fill me with such joy. It's been over 10 years since I last played it, so I can still get surprised sometimes.

IMO Prime 1 has only one large level design flaw that can put a dent in the experience: it's very easy to miss the Artifact Temple at the start of the game. In my first playthrough I only ended up there after clearing all other areas and was looking for unvisited rooms on the world map, meaning I had to backtrack my ass through the entire game to hunt for the Chozo artifacts instead of finding them as I played.

steveovig

So, I ended up beating Prime 1 a little bit ago and it felt great. Once I finally figured out how to damage the
second form
, it was smooth sailing. Ended up with 76% completion but I was just looking to beat it. I was going to wait until tomorrow to try again but I got bored and grabbed the Pad, propped it against something, and went to work on the small screen. Off to Prime 2 in a bit, as I haven't played that in years. Never played 3 until now though.

To be fair, Bluepoint is one of the most well-regarded developers in the industry, even if it's for doing good ports of other studios' games. As much as people may not consider that to be as valuable as having an original output, the possibility of a port going mediocre-to-bad is too damn high these days, and it's good to see that there's at least one developer that actually does give a damn. Their Titanfall port on 360 is nothing short of a miracle.

When you have the lead engineer and a senior artist from Metroid Prime and the lead level designer from Donkey Kong Country Returns, you expect more from a studio than ports.

I'm really surprised how well these games hold up. The graphics are clearly a decade behind, but the gameplay still feels great. If they remastered the original Prime for the release of the next handheld, I think it would be a fantastic time sink while mobile. Especially with the immediate suspend/resume.

Great art and 60fps don't age. These games' visuals look and perform better than the majority of the games on the market even today.

Great art and 60fps don't age. These games' visuals look and perform better than the majority of the games on the market even today.

Absolutely. Playing through these games is blowing my mind that they're almost a decade old. The environments feel more alive and fleshed out than most modern games.

Dimmle

Jumping back into Echoes for the first time in over 10 years. The small visual upgrades over the first entry are more evident since I'm coming in hot from Prime. Super reflective suit, extra shiny power beam, well polished morph ball; Samus must have a lot of spare time in her cockpit.

I'm very much looking forward to the music, as I remember it continuing to be a strength for the series.

K' Dash

Jumping back into Echoes for the first time in over 10 years. The small visual upgrades over the first entry are more evident since I'm coming in hot from Prime. Super reflective suit, extra shiny power beam, well polished morph ball; Samus must have a lot of spare time in her cockpit.

I'm very much looking forward to the music, as I remember it continuing to be a strength for the series.

Yes sir, I like Echoes music better than the other two, but all are fucking amazing.

I keep seeing that the Omega Pirate apparently doesn't like Power Bombs.

I... I never knew this. Where are you even using them? I just beamed his ass like a woman.

yami4ct

I keep seeing that the Omega Pirate apparently doesn't like Power Bombs.

I... I never knew this. Where are you even using them? I just beamed his ass like a woman.

Just plant them at his feet when
he's in his form with the phazon armor blobs. Most of the time I break at least two if not all the weak spots in one go.

TheMoon

So what's the best place to pick up a Wii U right now?

I really want this metroid pack, but there appear to be several other games I wouldn't mind picking up now either. The wait is over!

Looking at your profile I see you're from the US. Isn't there a thread posting gaming deals for Americans? We got one for Europe.

Ridley327

When you have the lead engineer and a senior artist from Metroid Prime and the lead level designer from Donkey Kong Country Returns, you expect more from a studio than ports.

I feel like the complaints apply more to Armature, since they have put out an original game, and it kinda sorta sucked, despite being a can't-miss premise. They've had some rotten luck since getting started, but Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate doesn't even remotely feel like something that was handled by the guy in charge of all three Prime games. I dunno; I think other posters are onto something with the studio culture at Retro being impossible to duplicate, even amongst the leads. I don't know what Nintendo did when they purged the studio back in 2001, but it stuck.

wrowa

The thing with Retro and Metroid is that I just can't imagine that a new Metroid by them would follow the Prime formula. I think that after half a decade of developing 2D plattformers it's more likey that their next Metroid title would also be a 2(.5)D one since that's just what current Retro is experienced in and because such a game wouldn't need as many ressources. I'd still welcome such a game, but it makes me sad that 3D Metroid just seems to be dead.

flowsnake

One of the nice things about the Trilogy is that Phendrana Drifts will still be fresh in your memory when
you reach Bryyo Ice in Prime 3. It's a nostalgia bomb bigger than the one you drop on that Leviathan in Elysia.

Ooh, that's what it is. I kept expecting that area to be in MP1 with the
screw attack

Ridley327

The thing with Retro and Metroid is that I just can't imagine that a new Metroid by them would follow the Prime formula. I think that after half a decade of developing 2D plattformers it's more likey that their next Metroid title would also be a 2(.5)D one since that's just what current Retro is experienced in and because such a game wouldn't need as many ressources. I'd still welcome such a game, but it makes me sad that 3D Metroid just seems to be dead.

I don't think anyone expected them to do a racing game ever again, but here we are, and we've got half of Mario Kart 7 with their name on it. I think they're a hell of a lot more versatile than they get credit for.

Top Bottom